AoS 2 - Mixed Destruction Discussion

broche

6 hours ago, amysrevenge said:

To be fair, they are completely different things and properly have different names - but because of the  legacy of editions past, their names should probably be reversed.  It is nigh-universal that people refer to the act of unbinding as "dispelling" because that's what the equivalent action was called in every previous iteration of the game.  So we colloquially are already using both "dispel" and "unbind" to refer to the same action, where until endless spells came around "dispel" was not a thing in AoS at all.  So now we're stuck with a common informal usage directly contradicting the new correct usage.

We should change it so that they have new terms.

I suggest that we use the terms: "skumgrum" and "gorbugger"

That should get rid of all of the confusion.

I have used the following in 3 games and it has been effective and fun.

Allegiance: Destruction
Mortal Realm: Aqshy

Leaders
Frostlord on Stonehorn (420)
- General
- Trait: Ravager
- Artefact: Thermalrider Cloak 
Fungoid Cave-Shaman (80)
Fungoid Cave-Shaman (80)

Battleline
20 x Moonclan Grots (130)
- Pokin Spears & Moon Shields
20 x Moonclan Grots (130)
- Pokin Spears & Moon Shields
20 x Gitmob Grots (100)
- Bows & Slashas

Units
3 x Grot Fanatics (100)
3 x Grot Fanatics (100)

Total: 1980 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 113

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, broche said:

@svnvaldez i'm curious about the 2 fungoid?

-2 to hit from shooting and is it 3? missions of the 18 the give bonuses/required to capture for wizards or heroes with artifacts of power. Also gives me a hero within 6in to use IP for when the FLs are off fighting,  2 unbinds/dispells,  2 additional rolls at rampaging destroyer, and are cheap. 

I'm of the opinion that if you are rolling 1 of the 18 missions your list must have 3 scorers for when you roll arcane power. That can be any way you see fit but when playing mixed destro we don't really have access to reasonable battalions to get the extra artifact or a beefy monster wizard (other than troll hag and Arock).

Edited by svnvaldez
  • Like 2

53 minutes ago, svnvaldez said:

I'm of the opinion that if you are rolling 1 of the 18 missions your list must have 3 scorers for when you roll arcane power. That can be any way you see fit but when playing mixed destro we don't really have access to reasonable battalions to get the extra artifact or a beefy monster wizard (other than troll hag and Arock).

I played one of those at the weekend, other guy goes "so which of your heroes can score it?"

Oh all of them, 4 heroes 3 with artefacts and a wizard ?

To be honest with all the new artefacts from the realms and the fact you don't have to have a general to use their CA the Hag seems like the Queen of Mixed Destruction. She's got a fantastic spell, is a wizard, has regeneration, solid shooting attack and a built in -1 to hit in melee. Add in an Artefact like the Ignis Scale from Realm of Fire (+4 MW save) and a command trait, what an absolute beast.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Malakree said:

To be honest with all the new artefacts from the realms and the fact you don't have to have a general to use their CA the Hag seems like the Queen of Mixed Destruction. She's got a fantastic spell, is a wizard, has regeneration, solid shooting attack and a built in -1 to hit in melee. Add in an Artefact like the Ignis Scale from Realm of Fire (+4 MW save) and a command trait, what an absolute beast.

Unfortunately she can't be your General, because she doesn't have the Leader Battlefield Role.

38 minutes ago, PlasticCraic said:

Unfortunately she can't be your General, because she doesn't have the Leader Battlefield Role.

And that means she also does not meet the leader requirement for list-building.  I was a bit disappointed when I realized that.  I have around 18 Trolls of various types (mostly old-school metal models) and I was entertaining the idea of getting her and building a Troll army.  Obviously I would have to come up with battleline units, but I was a bit sad to see that I had to get another hero as well.  But at least we have some cheap options for both of those.

I really wish that they had put the Throgg Troll King warscroll into destruction as a leader and then Trolls as battleline if playing Troggoth allegiance.  That would be another absurdly great tiny subfaction like Spiderfang.

Edited by Skabnoze
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Davros said:

I hope people realise i was having a go at GW with their wording and not @EddieWouldGo

You have reached the conclusion that GW writes things as clear as mud.

I did, no hard feels:)

3 hours ago, Skabnoze said:

And that means she also does not meet the leader requirement for list-building.  I was a bit disappointed when I realized that.  I have around 18 Trolls of various types (mostly old-school metal models) and I was entertaining the idea of getting her and building a Troll army.  Obviously I would have to come up with battleline units, but I was a bit sad to see that I had to get another hero as well.  But at least we have some cheap options for both of those.

I really wish that they had put the Throgg Troll King warscroll into destruction as a leader and then Trolls as battleline if playing Troggoth allegiance.  That would be another absurdly great tiny subfaction like Spiderfang.

That would be awesome. I was having this idea that, since we are the ugly child of allegiances so far, maybe we could get another "Stoneklaws Gutstompas" type of thing, lets say for all ogor factions (bcr, gutbuster, maneaters, firebelly, old compendium), or a pure monster one with trolls, gargants, destruction monsters, fimir etc. It gives us something to play with, gives an oportunity for compendium armies to have a place and it doesnt need new models.

Honestly I feel like they need to just do a Great Waaagh! book in the legions style. 

• Morks Little Waaagh! - Gitmob, Moonclan, Spiderfang, Troggoths and Aleguzzlers
  • Horde of the Great Devourer - All Ogors
  • Fist of Gork - Ironjawz, Greenskinz, Bonesplitterz and Aleguzzlers.
  • Braggoths Bestial Tide - All the various mounted elements of Destruction (so the chariots, boar riding heroes etc.
  • Savage Hordes - Bonesplitterz and Spiderfang.

@PlasticCraic @Skabnoze

Check the new updated Monstrous Arcanum They have added the leader keyword to her and a bunch of other behemoths!

EDIT: 

FIMIR WARRIORS ARE NOW BATTLELINE IF A FIMIRACH NOBLE IS YOUR GENERAL !!!!!!!!

Edited by Malakree
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Working on a mixed destruction greenskin force, and while I want my main 'line of battle' to be Ardboyz, I'm having serious difficulty deciding what to use for ranged support. Core of it is an ironfist with 3 units of ardboyz and a unit of brutes, a set of wolf riders (equipment undetermined, probably bows/shields), one set of moonclan grots with spears/shields/fanatics, and an arachnarok with shaman.

will the wolf riders be enough backed up by a shaman on wolf for sneaky stabbing, or should I consider some Orruk archers over more moonclan for battleline?

In the interests of theme I am not using any mounted orc HQ units, or even any orc HQ units at all if I can help it.

1 hour ago, blueshirtman said:

What is a magma dragon?

Are there any safe destruction models to buy right, stuff that people know GW won't nerf with a new book or faq? If they would work with BCR it would be nice too.

https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/resources/PDF/fw_warscrolls/aos-warscroll-magma-dragon.pdf

they could ajust his cost, but at 540 i think he's fine for now.

10 hours ago, broche said:

a guys won a tournament with mixed (his list was 2 x magma dragon, frost lord, 2 fungoid, 3 x 10 orruk). Must admit i like this :)

Yep. @Tom Loyn has posted about his list here in the Destruction forum, you can read what he has to say at this link. 

Tom also went 5-0 at the 6 Nations (representing Wales with his dragons!) so this list is now 10-0 in competitive events :

Thinking of taking the following list:

LEADERS
Frostlord on Stonehorn (420) (with the artifact that makes him immune to rend)
Huskard on Thundertusk (360)
- Chaintrap
Huskard on Thundertusk (360)
- Chaintrap
Fungoid Cave-Shaman (80)
Moonclan Grot Shaman (80)
UNITS
10 x Savage Orruks (120)
10 x Savage Orruks (120)
10 x Savage Orruks (120)
WAR MACHINES
Grot Spear Chukka (120)
Grot Spear Chukka (120)
ENDLESS SPELLS
Chronomantic Cogs (60)
Aethervoid Pendulum (40) / Although maybe swap for gemenids

Reason for artifact choice is that it makes the stonehorn a bit more tankier (since the nerf to stone skeleton). And as mystic shield is no longer +1 to save its quite difficult to improve it now.

Any thoughts suggestions on endless spells?