AoS 2 - Mixed Destruction Discussion

broche

On 5/6/2019 at 8:24 AM, 5kaven5lave said:

Re: my list just above, had 3 games over the weekend vs. Stormcast. I lost all 3(!!) but I think a big part of it was just learning how to play the list, how to use the allegiance ability well, and coping with not even getting a 5 to cast the Cauldron until round 3 of the second game, never mind Hand of Gork. 

Had the most success in game 3 when I pushed the Hag and the Idol into my opponent’s face and made him deal with them in his backfield, and they did some proper work as well. 

Was completely forgetting about the Hag’s unique spell as well giving an enemy unit -1 on its hit and save rolls, if I cast that on a big monster the Arrowboys are shooting it at -2 rend and on a 4+ the Hag or Idol if nearby can instantly pile in and attack at -3 rend which is brutal. I think it’ll take sone finesse but there’s some nasty combos to be had here. 

What is the list that your friend with Stormcast uses?

@DestructionFranz

He brought all his stuff so he played 2 different lists. None of my group are particularly on-meta but he knows what it all does as it’s all he plays. Also, I’m not a tactical genius tbh.

List 1 was a Stardrake with Staunch Defender and the Castellant buff making it 1+ save rerolling 1s with a Veritant for Translocation and Arcanum on Tauralon, also lots of shooting with Judicators and some Libs and Tempestors (the Dracothian guard with shooting and -1 to hit with shooting on units within 12” aura) so they limited  my Arrowboys. I played too defensive and had atrocious magic so he dictated the game and beat me easily. 

Second list I did better against, no Stardrake here but an Arcanum on Gryph-Charger, Lord-Aquilor, lots of Paladors and all the Vanguard shooting so lots of movement shenanigans. This is the game where I went more offensive and gave him something to think about but I was already too far behind when I changed up my tactics. 

Rematches this weekend, I think the Hag spell could be clutch if I can get it off, I can’t see that Stardrake coping as well against 90 arrows at -2 rend and some -3 rend monster smashing. I also didn’t realise that the Weirdnob has a flat +2 to cast within 10” of 20 Orruks so a lot of spells become much easier to cast now. 

Also off to Warhammer Fest this weekend, might pick up a Colossal Squig from the Forgeworld shop for 2.5k games as the Cauldron has a run and charge spell, would be hilarious to throw a 5D6 + charge bowling ball into people turn one then get an objective-holding 5-Squig unit when it dies. 

• Like 1

Hi guys,

I'm preparing a 2000 points list for a tournament at the end of May. 

I need some suggestions and opinions. 

This is what I would put in:

Frostlord on Stonehorn (Might is Right+ Ethereal Amulet) 420

Frostlord on Stonehorn 420

Frostlord on Stonehorn 420

Grot Shaman 80

60 X Gitmob Grots with Bows 270

10 X Orruks with Shields 80

10x Orruks with Shields 80

At the moment I'm at 1770 Points. 

What would you put in to reach 2000 points? 

Would you change something on the models that I chose? ( I have almost every models of Destruction apart from Bonesplittzers)

• Like 1

Wow, that's punchy!

When I look at your list, I see a few gaps:

1) Flying.  It will be hard for you to get past screens and large terrain pieces.

2) Durable Wizards / Heroes.  Required for capturing on those missions.

3) Activation Wars.  Ways to actually take part in the game where your opponent has AFF (the Gitmob Archers will help there).

A Fungoid Shammy + Arachnacauldron could help with a couple of those things via Itchy Nuisance? 

They could also help with point 1) via Hand of Gork if you had something with the Gloomspite keyword that was worth teleporting.

Would you consider dropping the third Stonehorn for maybe a Troggoth Hag?  She is solid on the Wizard and Hero missions, and can be Hand of Gorked right into range for her Warscroll spell and vomit (if you make the charge that's a bonus).  It's really crippling that she only has a single cast though, you will need a Fungoid to fling her forward unless you do it across 2 turns.

The other option could be to bump him up to a Magma Dragon (go on, give him another chance!) and throw in a Fungoid + Arachnacauldron?

8 hours ago, PlasticCraic said:

Wow, that's punchy!

When I look at your list, I see a few gaps:

1) Flying.  It will be hard for you to get past screens and large terrain pieces.

2) Durable Wizards / Heroes.  Required for capturing on those missions.

3) Activation Wars.  Ways to actually take part in the game where your opponent has AFF (the Gitmob Archers will help there).

A Fungoid Shammy + Arachnacauldron could help with a couple of those things via Itchy Nuisance? 

They could also help with point 1) via Hand of Gork if you had something with the Gloomspite keyword that was worth teleporting.

Would you consider dropping the third Stonehorn for maybe a Troggoth Hag?  She is solid on the Wizard and Hero missions, and can be Hand of Gorked right into range for her Warscroll spell and vomit (if you make the charge that's a bonus).  It's really crippling that she only has a single cast though, you will need a Fungoid to fling her forward unless you do it across 2 turns.

The other option could be to bump him up to a Magma Dragon (go on, give him another chance!) and throw in a Fungoid + Arachnacauldron?

Thanks for the suggestions. 

I was thinking about putting in a Fungoid Cave Shaman with Mork's Mighty Mushroom to fill the gap that I've against hordes. 

The Arachnacauldron is a good  strategic option especially for Hand of Gork and Itchy Nuisance. But, like you said, you have to have something to teleport, and the Troggoth Hag seems good to go behind enemy's line to try to kill an hero or a wizard. (Not so good to claim objectives because obviously her value is one.) 

So maybe my list could be:

Frostlord on Stonehorn X2

Troggoth Hag

Fungoid Cave Shaman

Grot Shaman

Gitmob Grots x60

Orruks x10

Orruks x10 

Mork's Mighty Mushroom

Arachnacauldron

Total: 1950 + 1 Command Point. 

In this case I can deploy far away from my enemy and let him start the battle hoping he comes close to me to be shooted with my archers and charged with the Stonehorns. 

What do you think? 

9 hours ago, PlasticCraic said:

Yeah I like the look of that.  I think the other option would be to use the Mushroom + CP to switch a Frostlord for a Magma Dragon, but that's really personal choice I think.

Looks like a good army to me.

Ok, thank you for the suggestions. 

I put in the two Frostlords and the Mushrooom (hoping to be able to cast it, just to see terror in the eyes of my opponent 😋)

My goal is to reach the top 10 (at the moment is an ambitious result, but I need to avoid FEC and DoK to do that.  😂

• Like 2

Might as well post my swamp themed army list. Back in 1st edition my Fimir were terrors on the table, and I haven't really used them in 2nd all that much as they couldn't deal with hoards. Gloomspite changed the game for them though. They even smashed an old Skryre army with warpfire projectors everywhere.

The strength of the army is their resistance to both magic and shooting, as I can easily get my Fimir to -2 to hit at range and a lot of the units have mortal wound saves or with the Dankboss an immunity save. I wanted to run a pure troll army, but money. Also I know that if I dropped my Fimir, Forgeworld would immediately release the Balefiend.

They're relatively slow, although I do have access to Hand of Gork; but I have a monopoly on armor breaking and poke resistance so I can't have everything, after all this is just a standard non-competitive list. Stormcast cry when my Fimir drop.

Multiple attacks on a Dankboss fist is hilarious, but in terms of efficiency, Ghyrstrike is better without access to command abilities, and my Noble has to be the general to access Fimir as Battleline.

Another strength is the fact I won't really need to bother with Battleshock outside of modifiers, as I can easily have Bravery 10 trolls, and Fimir are 7at base. The grots are there to die anyway.

The real fat in the list is the Merwyrm as apart from being deceptively tanky, it's pretty bad on the damage front; however this is a themed list that'll be taken to play at the local store/ friends etc. I'd play my Freeguild if it was somewhat competitive.

Swamp Army

Destruction

Heroes:

-Dankhold Troggboss: 300

Blade of Hammerhal-Ghyra +1 attack on fist or Ghyrstrike +1 +1

-Fimirach Noble: 140 General

Bellowing Tyrant

-Madcap Shaman: 80

Battleline:

-20 Stabbas: 130

-6 Fimir: 280

Other:

-3 Rockgut Troggoths: 160

-6 Fellwater Troggoths: 320

-Merwyrm: 260

Endless Spells:

-Scrapskuttle’s Arachnacauldron: 50

-2000 points

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Knight Scáthach of Fimm said:

Might as well post my swamp themed army list. Back in 1st edition my Fimir were terrors on the table, and I haven't really used them in 2nd all that much as they couldn't deal with hoards. Gloomspite changed the game for them though. They even smashed an old Skryre army with warpfire projectors everywhere.

The strength of the army is their resistance to both magic and shooting, as I can easily get my Fimir to -2 to hit at range and a lot of the units have mortal wound saves or with the Dankboss an immunity save. I wanted to run a pure troll army, but money. Also I know that if I dropped my Fimir, Forgeworld would immediately release the Balefiend.

They're relatively slow, although I do have access to Hand of Gork; but I have a monopoly on armor breaking and poke resistance so I can't have everything, after all this is just a standard non-competitive list. Stormcast cry when my Fimir drop.

Multiple attacks on a Dankboss fist is hilarious, but in terms of efficiency, Ghyrstrike is better without access to command abilities, and my Noble has to be the general to access Fimir as Battleline.

Another strength is the fact I won't really need to bother with Battleshock outside of modifiers, as I can easily have Bravery 10 trolls, and Fimir are 7at base. The grots are there to die anyway.

The real fat in the list is the Merwyrm as apart from being deceptively tanky, it's pretty bad on the damage front; however this is a themed list that'll be taken to play at the local store/ friends etc. I'd play my Freeguild if it was somewhat competitive.

Swamp Army

Destruction

Heroes:

-Dankhold Troggboss: 300

Blade of Hammerhal-Ghyra +1 attack on fist or Ghyrstrike +1 +1

-Fimirach Noble: 140 General

Bellowing Tyrant

-Madcap Shaman: 80

Battleline:

-20 Stabbas: 130

Other:

-3 Rockgut Troggoths: 160

-6 Fellwater Troggoths: 320

-Merwyrm: 260

Endless Spells:

-Scrapskuttle’s Arachnacauldron: 50

-2000 points

It sounds very cool to play...  🙂

Do you think that the Freeguild is stronger than a mixed Destruction list? 

1 hour ago, DestructionFranz said:

It sounds very cool to play...  🙂

Do you think that the Freeguild is stronger than a mixed Destruction list? 

Than my mixed Destruction list? Definitely, although it's such a broad army that it's hard to say about other army builds. My Freeguild are designed to hold their own against most armies, while my Destruction mainly has theme in mind before unit effectiveness (I sure as hell wouldn't use a Merwyrm if I was (I bought it before it got nerfed)). Freeguild are also way stronger than people give them credit for. One distinct advantage of my Destruction is they're easy to maneuver due to low model count, while hoards of infantry, while usually better, are really difficult to work with if it's not open terrain.

15 hours ago, broche said:

@DestructionFranz I think I would swap etheral amulet for thermal rider cloak in your list. I think the +4'' move and flying have more value than the ignore rend in your liste. 16'' move flying + run and charge can get you far!

I thought about it. But I decided to use the Ethereal Amulet to give to my general the opportunity to survive till the turn 5.  He will stay all the 5 battle rounds engaged...

• 2 weeks later...

Been playing a few games against Slaves to Darkness using my Swamp army. Merwyrm is just a tanky monster that does nothing, while the Fimir and trolls crack armor all day. The game I just played my Troggboss went up against a manticore lord. Only 2 wounds went through and rolled double 6s for the damage, then he found himself in the middle of 30 chaos warriors; he survived 4 combat phases and was left on 1 wound, only to regen to 4 and the game ended in a minor win. Rolled a lot of 1s for the Troggboss though, but the luck came through when he steel chair'ed the lord. Even though he's not as powerful outside of Gloomspite, he's still incredible (I don't get why people call him overcosted, other than that he's slow...) The Fimir cleaned up the 2nd manticore lord.

The threat of Hand of Gork is a great deterrent against over committing, so I kept 10 chaos knights away from the fight just by the implication of a teleport. I forgot the game type but it's where you need to hold both objectives to win. I actually played aggressive in the face of 2 manticores and 20 chaos knights and won so a combination of forcing reserved play with Hand, decent staying power and high rend won the game. Also Fimir Noble with Bellowing Tyrant made my trolls a max of Bravery 10 which countered the bravery bombing from the chaos lords.

It's currently 2-1 to the Fimir, although the loss was a disaster where every charge resulted in pathetic damage. Itchy Nuisanced 30 chaos warriors then charged with 12 Fimir and 3 Rockguts. Only 6-7 died to that, then a manticore lord's pile in move was done incorrectly and everything went down hill from there.

The sheer amount of -2 rend and potential for high bravery means I reckon the outlook of future games will go similarly in my favor.

All in all, it performs well; I may remove the Merwyrm given the chance and improve the list. The list I was up against was pretty solid too.

• Like 3

Re: My list at the top of the page, had a couple of rematches vs. Stormcast and won them both!! Savage Orruks seem to be good only as screens and bodies on objectives unfortunately. Fungoid is obviously amazing and have been managing to get Foot of Gork off fairly regularly which is a bonus. I’ve just been sending the Hag and the Idol into my opponent as an 800 point blender and they have been pretty scary!!

Is its possible to include Bonesplitter Battalions in a mixed Destruction army? for instance, if I wanted to include a Teef Rukk, would that be possible or is it locked behind the whole "Bonesplitter" Keyword at the top of the battaliontext (to be only in a Bonesplitter allegiance) ?

/Cheers Rangeltoft

Hey guys!

One if my friends is starting a budget Beastclaw Raiders, out of 3 Start collectings, and based on what I heard, you can make stonehorn OR thundertusk stuff. What would be the best combination of three beastclaw start collecting? (I would appreciate if you wouldn’t add anything else, and you can remove anything)

Just a reminder, the anyone but heroes in the start collecting are battle lines, including the beastriders.

Edited by DestroyerBirb

13 hours ago, DestroyerBirb said:

Hey guys!

One if my friends is starting a budget Beastclaw Raiders, out of 3 Start collectings, and based on what I heard, you can make stonehorn OR thundertusk stuff. What would be the best combination of three beastclaw start collecting? (I would appreciate if you wouldn’t add anything else, and you can remove anything)

Just a reminder, the anyone but heroes in the start collecting are battle lines, including the beastriders.

I would go 3 Thundertusks or 3 Stonehorns, depending on your playstyle. If you want a mix, go 2 Stonehorn and 1 Thundertusk.

On 5/24/2019 at 10:41 AM, DestroyerBirb said:

Hey guys!

Try to magnetize the head to switch whenever you like from Stonehorn to Thundertusk. 

(I prefer by far the Stonehorns) 

On 5/24/2019 at 8:57 AM, Rangeltoft said:

Is its possible to include Bonesplitter Battalions in a mixed Destruction army? for instance, if I wanted to include a Teef Rukk, would that be possible or is it locked behind the whole "Bonesplitter" Keyword at the top of the battaliontext (to be only in a Bonesplitter allegiance) ?

/Cheers Rangeltoft

Yes you can, paying the price of battalion.