My thoughts of CL Werner Lord of Undeath novel (Spoilers tags included)

shinros

Right finished the book my first response. This book is a MUST for death fans in my opinion this book goes into what nagash has been planning. I have been making the point that Death only got a page in the all-gate's book(plus expands neferata's story from balance of power) but this book developers it further all the Mortarch's appear in the book and we get to see what happened to mannfred after his escapade. Honestly if you want the overall story of AOS you need to read the campaign books AND the BL novels. 

On mannfred and if he is independent or not

He is not independent and I was right the portal went back to the realm of death. Honestly the Mortarch's are like children in my opinion. Nagash does note he is the most rebellious but among his vassal's mortarch's he resisted chaos the most out of them and his schemes and avarice extend past neferata. He note's that her schemes don't go beyond the flesh..

Nagash's plans and the stormcast (I feel it's pretty big) BIG SPOILERS. 

Right over time I wondered if sigmar has actually been brainwashing stormcast in a sense this has been my theory the book kinda confirms it, nagash does describe the reforging to be similar to necromancy yet different. Now at the end of the novel it reveal's why he left sigmar's forces at his all-gate. He does not like sigmar let's make it clear and he would only make an alliance if it served him and right now it does not he prefer's the stale mate. Right now he is building THE black pyramid when it's done anyone who dies in the realm of death will belong to him. They make a note in the epilogue that within the black gem that trapped a stormcast soul mannfred said it felt familiar yet not. (The anvils of heldenhammer were sent to gain an alliance) Nagash took the answer from his mind and they both realized that sigmar has been poaching mortal's souls of warriors that belong to him from the realm of shyish to reforge into stormcast while he battled Archaon's forces alone.

So yeah I don't expect an alliance any time soon if ever, oh and Tarsem fate is not mentioned I suspect his soul is within the black pyramid. Considering his past and the fact that he used undead when building his city, had a amethyst cape and also made peace with nagash as a mortal. I suspect he was not a worshiper of sigmar when he was mortal. When reforged I suspect being infused with god kings essence is what cause stormcast to be so loyal to sigmar despite their past and why they get new names. Hell I can see the reason why sigmar is in no hurry to fix the effects of the reforging effects. Oh nagash does also explain why undead tend to be ass hat's when turned vampires, liche's etc.  The state of being undead the process of becoming one diminishes the soul and must happen because if it did not they would go kinda out of control and end up destroying themselves and everything around them.

Now as I said Death players who want fluff need the book IMO. It's quite a fun read and it's nice seeing things from neferata's/nagash's perspective as well. PS Mannfred's castle Nachtsreik is badass as hell. 

8 hours ago, AdHocGames said:

Thanks for the review Shinros, i'll be sticking this on my next GW order. Loved the audios about the hunt for Nagash, sounds like this follows them up nicely.

No problem as a Death player I really like the book, honestly if you want to know where the mortarch's stand in the fluff and what nagash is doing you should pick it up. 

Still what I find interesting is that nagash call's mannfred Prodigal son(if you know the story him calling him that is quite interesting). Even though I like mannfred some of the stuff he pulls I wonder if nagash just has a soft spot for him or something? Nagash alway's refers to him as Son, princling or Mortarch. 

• 2 months later...

Just finished reading.. Boy was it addictive! 

Nagash is just badass! And scheming to the max. 

The ending is actually ambiguous, Nagash do not wish for the mortal realm to fall. But he neither does he wants Sigmar to win. And before Chaos arrive he seems to have a realm full of life and culture of which he used as fuel.

I always see them death as the necessary evil. They can't exist without life. 

But they can't allow light into their darkness. They must be the opposite of goodness to function to be powerful, yet they need still need life and goodness to exist.

Maybe if Nagash ascend to Higher Godhood the story will evolve to a more Death vs Chaos vs Order.. He might just be the headache that Archaon cannot be rid of.

And there goes destruction, going around like a tornado! Lol

There has never been a more appropriate time to use this image macro than now:

Spoiler

B4Z5Yyn.jpg

But yeah, this book and the audio stuff about Mannfred have easily been my favourite BL content for AoS so far. Maybe it's got something to do with the undead in AoS so far being an almost direct port from the old setting...

4 hours ago, Double Misfire said:

There has never been a more appropriate time to use this image macro than now:

Reveal hidden contents

B4Z5Yyn.jpg

But yeah, this book and the audio stuff about Mannfred have easily been my favourite BL content for AoS so far. Maybe it's got something to do with the undead in AoS so far being an almost direct port from the old setting...

Honestly I think the undead went back to the "good old days" when they were all one big "happy" family instead of just being mainly centered on the vampire counts. 

I do feel mannfred's book actually got me to care about stormcast Tarsem ; ; anyway overall I have to agree the undead overall had the best fluff introduction so far in my opinion. I do think order needs to be fleshed out more especially the normal humans. 

I mean we are getting there with the new warrior priest. 

Archived