Necromancers: undead minions

Dongilles

50 minutes ago, Dongilles said:

I have a question about necromancer undead minons ability.

can i try to allocate all wounds to a summanable unit even if this unit only has 1 wound left? 

Yes and no. Wounds are allocated one at a time - so you'd roll before each wound.

*BUT* you can continue to try to allocate to the unit with each wound until the unit is destroyed. At which point Necromancer has to take remaining wounds or pass to another unit.

So if I understand correctly:

For example

1. The necromancer receives 10 damage
  2. I throw 10 dice and on a +4 they go to the skeletons with only 3 models left
  3. 5 go to the skeletons and 5 to the necromancer
  4. the skeletons fail all 5 save rolls, 3 go to the unit of skeletons and 2 go back to the necromancer
  5. the necromancer needs to roll 7 dice for the saves

This seems very cumbersome and not how I would ever guess to play it reading the ability

59 minutes ago, Dongilles said:

For example

1. The necromancer receives 10 damage
  2. I throw 10 dice and on a +4 they go to the skeletons with only 3 models left
  3. 5 go to the skeletons and 5 to the necromancer
  4. the skeletons fail all 5 save rolls, 3 go to the unit of skeletons and 2 go back to the necromancer
  5. the necromancer needs to roll 7 dice for the saves

This seems very cumbersome and not how I would ever guess to play it reading the ability

I think the problem in this example is, that "allocating wounds" is after the save. Undead Minions is more like a "ignore Wound" role.

In my opinion the rule goes (looks a little like pseudocode for programming, the next codeline is underlined)

1. The necromancer receives 10 damage after his save (go to 2.)
  2. are there still wounds to allocate (if yes, go to 3., if no go to 8)
  3. is a Summonable unit in 3" (if yes go to 4., if no go to 7.)
  4. Roll a D6 for the Summonable unit (if roll is 4+ go to 5., if not go to 6.
  5. one Model of the unit can make a wound ignore save if it has one or lose a wound (go to 7)
  6. the necromancer can make a wound ignore save if it has one or lose a wound (go to 7.)
  7. substract one from damage counter, (go back to 2)
  8. sequence ends

3 hours ago, EMMachine said:

I think the problem in this example is, that "allocating wounds" is after the save. Undead Minions is more like a "ignore Wound" role.

In my opinion the rule goes (looks a little like pseudocode for programming, the next codeline is underlined)

1. The necromancer receives 10 damage after his save (go to 2.)
  2. are there still wounds to allocate (if yes, go to 3., if no go to 8)
  3. is a Summonable unit in 3" (if yes go to 4., if no go to 7.)
  4. Roll a D6 for the Summonable unit (if roll is 4+ go to 5., if not go to 6.
  5. one Model of the unit can make a wound ignore save if it has one or lose a wound (go to 7)
  6. the necromancer can make a wound ignore save if it has one or lose a wound (go to 7.)
  7. substract one from damage counter, (go back to 2)
  8. sequence ends

this seems plausible still very cumbersome

1 hour ago, Dongilles said:

this seems plausible still very cumbersome 

It is cumbersome because the rule interacts with multiple units. If you have a ignore wounds roll for an entire unit you can roll at the same time. If only some of them have a ignore wounds role (let's say Ardboys with Shields) you can't make more dice rolls at once than you have models with shields.

I think it's actually possible to quicken it up a litte.

After you can remove models of the Summonable unit that are not in the 3" range it's less importent.

But there are two things that are importent:

1. you can never roll more dice at once than your necromancer has (why would you give damage to a other unit if the necromancer is dead already)
  2. and you can't make more rolls for a summonable unit at once than that unit has models when there are more units than one or the unit has a wounds ignore save.

So in case of the necromancer with a unit of 3 skeletons (without a wound ignore roll), you could possibly role as much dice as the necromancer has wounds remaining. If all roles are below 4, the necromancer dies, if all dice are at least 4 the three skeletons die and after this the necromancer would get the rest of the wounds including the leftover once from the skeletons. If, let's say, the skeletons took 2 damage and the the necromancer tooks 3 (so he has 2 wounds left) the next wave would be 2 dice becaue if both are below 4 the Necromancer would die and the last skeleton would "survive".

If the summonable unit has a wound ignore roll, we actually have to know, when the wounds are ignored, so the necromancer can't profit from the roll of a dead unit. In this case only 3 dice should be rolled as long as the necromancer has more wounds (or wounds equeal to the necromancers woundcount, but wound ignore rolls only as many at once as target unit has left.

Archived