What to do with the stuff I've got

Captain Roderick

Hey folks, 

I've been going a little nuts on ebay etc and now have a fair wodge of stuff either waiting to be built or en route through the post. 

Due to pouncing on bargains and getting a bit distracted by all the chat about grimghast reapers, I've lost the focus I had on building a 2k deathmarch grand host or legion of night, and due to being selfishly peeved with battlescribe for them changing the LoN listing for AoS 2.0 (thus requiring effort to port my old lists across), I'm finding it hard to drum up much enthusiasm for creating a new list based on what I have. 

I know there's a good few folks on here who love a bit of list-crunching however, so to rekindle my enthusiasm and focus, I thought I'd throw it out there - how would you use the stuff I have? 

Specifically, what would you use at 1k from this range? And what would you suggest for a 2k? (other than more grimghast reapers of course!) 

So I have/will have:

3 vampire lords, 2 on foot 1 on nightmare, with some wings hopefully en route in the post for one of the foot dudes

2 necromancers 

2 Wight Kings (both with blade not axe) 

46 skellies - 10 with spears, 16 with blades, the rest unassembled 

10 grave guard

10 Black knights 

5 blood knights 

6 spirit hosts 

3 Vargheists 

4 grimghast reapers 

As many dire wolves as I can be bothered to assemble. 

A bit messy I know ? how would you use them? 

1 hour ago, Captain Roderick said:

how would you use them? 

For first matches you got it all...

can easily play a variety of 1k games checking your style. Highly mobile Soulblight (vamp bloodknights blackknights 40skellis with necro finished up with 2x5 wolves)

stable and slow grand host (wightking with grave guard, skellis with necros and vamplord with knights)

magic galore both necros, a vamp, 40 skellis, spirit hosts and knights 

is triple vamp with necro possible...should be...

just rough sketches of my first jump into listbuilding. Points are details and there are probably millions better lists to be build, but just jump into the fun, I‘d recommend starting with 750-1000 points to get a feeling for your style and how to play in the new edition...

not quite sure how much table time you have under your belt, if I bored you with silly and wrong basics I‘m kinda sorry

3 hours ago, Captain Roderick said:

As many dire wolves as I can be bothered to assemble. 

Seriously bother yourself to assemble 10x of them immediately.  Used as one unit or two at low point values this will give you good flexibility on your battline options.

PS Are you asking what to expand with in future purchases for 2k?

10 hours ago, Honk said:

not quite sure how much table time you have under your belt, if I bored you with silly and wrong basics I‘m kinda sorry

GW in general 20 years, age of sigmar zero! 

Much appreciated, I've had trouble theming what I've got - big block of skellies is of course the way forward, and you're right I have the stuff to do fast or grindy at 1k.

9 hours ago, Evil Bob said:

PS Are you asking what to expand with in future purchases for 2k?

Yeah, probably more skellies I know, maybe a vlozd, hexwraiths, but I'm feeling a bit vague about it. Need to fall in love with the crunch again! 

If you’re still on track for making a LoN force buy the Start Collecting! Flesh Eater Courts.  That will get you a second Varghiest unit and a VLoZD cheaper than separately.

Frankly every Death player should hav-NAY MUST have at least one zombie Dragon in their collection.

34 minutes ago, Evil Bob said:

If you’re still on track for making a LoN force buy the Start Collecting! Flesh Eater Courts.  That will get you a second Varghiest unit and a VLoZD cheaper than separately.

Frankly every Death player should hav-NAY MUST have at least one zombie Dragon in their collection.

Ooh good shout! Hadn't spotted that one. I'll try and hold off buying it until I've painted most of my current stuff though, still not even opened my Barrow lords box yet. 

Was thinking of doing a conversion with Nethyrmaul the Undying for my vlozd but the dimensions and cost would be considerably greater, never mind the effort! 

23 minutes ago, Honk said:

I really would recommend trying out different styles. Nothing more frustrating than building and painting an army, which doesn’t perform the way you want.

Got enough stuff for that at least ?

My buddy is a teacher, so will be free for lots of gaming soon. Planning to play path to glory first, should help me get to grips with things, work out which units I want more of. 

Archived