OscarLars Painting Stuff - Ossiarch Bonereaper Update!

1 hour ago, Kramer said:

Oh it will be. But Looking at the time in effort you put into your painting it might be for you. It’s all about light and what it does to the subject. Something you definitely use in your painting as you are very skilled with utilizing light fall on your models. 

You are definitely right. Getting RAW photos would make all the details come out much better, and especially on an EOS where the lens is x10 the size. However, for that to work out smoothly, I would need to have a permanent station for the camera to be set up as well as being able to get the photos directly into a computer, not of which I have atm. But perhaps its an investment for the future. Its after all for work, so at least I get that tax break.

Now for the Iphone camera app, I definitely learn to control that light much better. I've never been great at photography, simply becasue I don't have the tools to know how to manipulate the light. With brushes, I've always been good at doing the very same. It is, as you say, something I do need to learn to give the pictorial representation of my figures a lot more justice. Trust me, I see aaaaaaaall the flaws of every image I post on here.

Again, thank you so much for taking the time to write all these great comments. They'll definitely help me to get better photos, and its super nice of you all to do this for free.

I'll take some pics soon of some Gore Gruntas and my Ironjawz giant and I'll try to implement the tips and trix you both proposed then! :x

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheOtherJosh said:

You can shoot RAW in “DNG” mode in Camera+ on your phone and then just export the jpegs to your camera roll to upload to tga after you do your edits to adjust the image. B|

http://www.idownloadblog.com/2016/12/14/camera-update-brings-raw-shooting-and-editing-support-for-iphone-7-plus-dual-camera-more/

I cannot find the DNG mode, so I assume it only works on Iphone 7 plus. :/ mine is the awesome.... 5s.... :P

1 hour ago, Lysandestolpe said:

I cannot find the DNG mode, so I assume it only works on Iphone 7 plus. :/ mine is the awesome.... 5s.... :P

Well. :/ It looks like the DNG format is supported for the iPhones with at least 12mp cameras (so that would be iPhone 6s) and higher. *booo*

So, your fallback alternative is to use TIFF format for your color correction work. That should be an option if you select the settings and “Quality and Format”.

(As a word of warning Tiff images are big and take up loads of storage space. But they will color correct better than JPEGs as they have more picture data available because they aren’t initially compressed.)

42 minutes ago, TheOtherJosh said:

Well. :/ It looks like the DNG format is supported for the iPhones with at least 12mp cameras (so that would be iPhone 6s) and higher. *booo*

So, your fallback alternative is to use TIFF format for your color correction work. That should be an option if you select the settings and “Quality and Format”.

(As a word of warning Tiff images are big and take up loads of storage space. But they will color correct better than JPEGs as they have more picture data available because they aren’t initially compressed.)

haha and I of course have a 16gb phone so basically a constant "no storage left" warning lolol.  I'll try to empty my phone and use Tiff for now.

Sounds like I need an upgrade! Perhaps a new phone for the new year is in order.

Dude, Thank you so much for all your help and comments. It has made me a lot more aware of what I can do to remedy some of the issues I have been experiencing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/12/2017 at 10:48 PM, Lysandestolpe said:

Thanks man! You've been absent I have noticed. I hope you and your family are doing great! :D

I've been sucked in to the world of blood bowl and random commision painting, but hoping the new year will give me some time to crack on with some more AOS! 

• Haha 1

Hey Lysan,

I followed this thread and you did a great job, painting clean and good looking miniatures. I really love to see armies on the table, people actually put effort and Herzblut in.

I have a somewhat peculiar question about basedesign. I am never satisfied with my bases, I am basically searching for a clean baselook, which doesn't take hours to create put looks appropriate to an above TT standard.

So I'd like to ask how you did the Khorne Blood Bound snowy bases. The colors and material you used for them. I like the look quit a bit and this might be exactly what I'm looking for.

Cheers

3 hours ago, Ademo said:

I've been sucked in to the world of blood bowl and random commision painting, but hoping the new year will give me some time to crack on with some more AOS! 

Would love to see you at Heat 1, whether you play or not! :D

1 hour ago, Spiny Norman said:

Hey Lysan,

I followed this thread and you did a great job, painting clean and good looking miniatures. I really love to see armies on the table, people actually put effort and Herzblut in.

I have a somewhat peculiar question about basedesign. I am never satisfied with my bases, I am basically searching for a clean baselook, which doesn't take hours to create put looks appropriate to an above TT standard.

So I'd like to ask how you did the Khorne Blood Bound snowy bases. The colors and material you used for them. I like the look quit a bit and this might be exactly what I'm looking for.

Cheers

Hey Norm!

Thank you for your kind words!

OK yeah! Non of my bases take hours. Maybe and hour or two for a whole army.  So I'll share my techniques.

0) best of all is if you paint your mini seperate from the base or use bluetack to keep them to the base. But if you don't, this will still work.

1) get a sifter.

main-qimg-d1347ddb47e4bba831808d8aed776358-c.jpg.3c79d2a8b6db6163e94d248eb8939403.jpg

and sift sand from a play ground so that you get a more even, softer material for your bases. Most sifters like these will allow for some rocks to go through, but non that are too large and throws the scale between basing and model. (if you want actual rocks on there, get the ones you want and feel looks best. This will also prevent most unwanted debris from getting in your sand mix.
Mine looks like this:

IMG_8945.jpg.c40502280e0f26c7935ca9da8e01d7d2.jpg

So this is my process:

1) Brush all purpose (glue all) glue on the base.  (don't glob it on)
2) Dip the base in the sand.
3) Let dry for about an hour
4) Brush non-diluted paint (straight out bottle or tube) and coat the base with desired mid-tone color. (For the Khorne I used Mechanicus standard Grey)
5) Wash (For Khorne I used Agrax Earth shade)
6) Drybrush (For khorne I used Karak Stone)
6 Apply toppings: Grass, Leafwork, Snow, Bushes, etc. (For my Khorne I used the GW snow from the pots, as well as grass tufts from Shadow's Edge Miniatures (Love that company!) I also applied some leafwork from Greenstuff world last knight. I felt it needed just something more)

I hope that helps, Norm! If you have any other questions, just ask.

Thanks for checking out my stuff!

• Thanks 2

47 minutes ago, Lysandestolpe said:

So this is my process:

4) Brush non-diluted paint (straight out bottle or tube) and coat the base with desired mid-tone color. (For the Khorne I used Mechanicus standard Grey)
6 Apply toppings: Grass, Leafwork, Snow, Bushes, etc. (For my Khorne I used the GW snow from the pots, as well as grass tufts from Shadow's Edge Miniatures (Love that company!) I also applied some leafwork from Greenstuff world last knight. I felt it needed just something more)

I followed these exact steps for my dudes, and it works great! Super easy. But I found that first paint layer takes ages to dry, and the wash takes even longer - I leave it over night. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sheriff said:

I followed these exact steps for my dudes, and it works great! Super easy. But I found that first paint layer takes ages to dry, and the wash takes even longer - I leave it over night. 

The first layer shouldn't take too long to dry unless you use a lot of paint or its mixed with water. The was shouldn't take more than an hour, unless you also glob that on. So if you do an individual base or 10, yeah its a pain.  the first layer of paint needs to be straight out the tube as it helps to bond the sand to the bases, but it doesn't need to be super thick either. just an even coat is enough. :)

In any case, to speed up the process you can use an old (or new) hair-dryer to speed up the acrylic dry-time. then it should be dry within minutes. Just make sure if you use heat, to blow it from a little bit of distance and also cool the base off before applying more paint, either with the cooling system on the hairdryer or just let sit for a few minutes. :)

• Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Lysandestolpe said:

Thanks alot for this comprehensive and quick answer mate! Keep your good work up.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Mandano said:

Wow this thread is amazing! Lysandestolpe , great work! And thanks TheOtherJoshI am just starting to look into photographing my models and your info was helpful.

Thanks man! Appreciate you checking it out. You can find more of my work on www.oscarlars.com and on my instagram linked from that site. :)

19 hours ago, TeddyMadeMeDoIt said:

What an awesome thread, hard not get inspired by it

The Ogor/oruk conversion stand out but the Khorne guys take he win for me, brutal and very gruesome indeed (what more would want from Khorne!)

Thank you so much! I really enjoy painting the Khorne too. Very relaxing experience. ^^

You better tag me in whatever you make now! ?

Merry Waaaghmas everyone! Here are freshly taken pictures of my christmas present from two years ago. Ten Boar Boyz. I also threw in my Warboss and Shaman riding boars as well. :)

I'm thinking about selling my Greenskins/Gitmob Army for a pretty descent price, if anyone is interested in getting into them.

IMG_9019.jpg.c66a59bbef584c292c002e7ac905e514.jpg

IMG_9022.jpg.8025a4da68d1cde1a1fb2a98c6d144f1.jpgIMG_9020.jpg.12c6c0c548f8a27fa4ae668c06fedc5e.jpgIMG_9021.jpg.b5cb3c6c544ccda6ebef566f48025dcb.jpg

Some of my 40 Boys Added. I'll add more here as I get the photos taken:

IMG_9024.jpg.f71484c7deb35ecb321ba19114a8b54e.jpg

If you are on instagram you can find me @oscarlars

Edited by Lysandestolpe
  • Like 7