OscarLars Painting Stuff - Ossiarch Bonereaper Update!

Photogrpahy spotlights came in today, so I thought I'd give them a testrun. I still need to figure some ****** out but it is getting there. The yellow is so overpowering that it is hard to get everything to be at an equal level. Note that these photos are also taken with an Iphone 5.

IMG_8844.jpg.0601a32c93f655fbe53fa64461628ec1.jpgIMG_8845.jpg.c599a80c91d11ed9afa5c70f2ef4a359.jpgIMG_8846.jpg.8a5da289517a164beaae46022ed55b97.jpgIMG_8847.jpg.884cd6162e30237f8c35186c0b687a58.jpgIMG_8848.jpg.445c9862b3c745b56b700fb8201055a2.jpgIMG_8849.jpg.c326324ba3b218b7c5752e2cc3122a83.jpgIMG_8850.jpg.f6e0f2ff9009421853b708d68a257617.jpgIMG_8851.jpg.ec90c5e850a471c4805d58b54cd73b9b.jpgIMG_8852.jpg.9306e58a040d74d8992c3da197aab1fa.jpg

Thanks for being patient with the stupid rerun of new photos. I hope you all are not tired of my Yellow rant yet. :P

• Like 9

11 minutes ago, Routasydän said:

Not tired, waiting for re-rerun :P 

Great looking pics, I cant seem to get so nice pics from my minis with my oneplus 3T -_-

I bought two new spotlight lamps from Amazon, and they work great. Tabletop lamps: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00L5TGT82/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They really illuminate the photo space so you can lower ISO and Aperture quite a bit. The package came with good bulbs and all. You need something to diffuse the light a bit, but I just used printed paper and taped it over. The bulbs do stick out a bit so its nothing fancy, but its cheap and does the trick, at least way better setup than I had before. :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sheriff said:

I find my fridge is a good lighting setup. 

Haha! All that white does help to serve as a light box. ^^

1 hour ago, Gothnomicon said:

What did you use for a backdrop? I'm just starting out with photographing my minis... Thanks!

Honestly, I bought a larger sheet of brown paper and misted it with black spray paint. It's definitely not ideal, and I have been trying to find better backdrops. But people seem to not like to reply to me..  (-___________-) I'll let you know if I find a better one.

Here comes my Khorne, including my November painting contract, 3 Khorgoraths and 20/40 Bloodreavers. I hope you guys will like these.
I didn't want to go with the standard blood red theme, even tho I think the Khorne models look amazing in those colors. Instead I chose to go for a Palid Whych Flesh armor with bronze. The concept came from the idea that the warriors, after each battle when they collect their heads, they fill their helmets with blood and put them back on, letting the blood fuel their rage. Some warriors are impatient ant just pour the blood as they go in battle.

In this project, I also did my first ever try with Uhu glue to make slime strings and blood strings. I may also go back and do touch ups, but for now. This Tabletop Standard is enough for this project.

IMG_8894.jpg.98f644252984457ea86dd3963355a9be.jpgIMG_8895.jpg.d1627bffd8f5b936e67e9921da4dacf0.jpgIMG_8897.jpg.0e800ac8799b20a44d5ca43f25f03fa4.jpgIMG_8889.jpg.a99886574516541c1792f4c487d014bf.jpgIMG_8891.jpg.005a4b88487d2c75c654c67b0db2b94b.jpgIMG_8892.jpg.4deb817339bdcf40cf675ef7bbe99eb1.jpgIMG_8893.jpg.7fdbcdd559b9419f1bc39137a773bb9b.jpg

Thanks for looking.

I believe I am all caught up now and my next project will either be for work or my Stormcast NMM 1000pts list.

• Like 5

On 12/5/2017 at 8:56 PM, Lysandestolpe said:

Photogrpahy spotlights came in today, so I thought I'd give them a testrun. I still need to figure some ****** out but it is getting there. The yellow is so overpowering that it is hard to get everything to be at an equal level. Note that these photos are also taken with an Iphone 5.

IMG_8844.jpg.0601a32c93f655fbe53fa64461628ec1.jpgIMG_8846.jpg.8a5da289517a164beaae46022ed55b97.jpgThanks for being patient with the stupid rerun of new photos. I hope you all are not tired of my Yellow rant yet. :P

The issue is that the color temperature in the photos aren’t balanced to the color temperature for the bulbs. 

A good set of daylight balanced bulbs ~5500k should be pretty easily color balanced. (That used to be a really big problem when shooting daylight balanced film with incandescent lighting.)

What app are you using to do your pictures with? It might have a “tungsten” setting? (Or indoor image setting.)

(basically the image is “warmer” than you want, which gives it the yellow cast)

1 hour ago, TheOtherJosh said:

The issue is that the color temperature in the photos aren’t balanced to the color temperature for the bulbs. 

A good set of daylight balanced bulbs ~5500k should be pretty easily color balanced. (That used to be a really big problem when shooting daylight balanced film with incandescent lighting.)

What app are you using to do your pictures with? It might have a “tungsten” setting? (Or indoor image setting.)

(basically the image is “warmer” than you want, which gives it the yellow cast)

Oh really? I didn't know that. Thanks for giving me that hint! I'm gonna try that

Thank you!

8 hours ago, Lysandestolpe said:

Oh really? I didn't know that. Thanks for giving me that hint! I'm gonna try that

You can also try a tungsten app. Haven't tried any but the general idea is that you point you phone at a light and you get a Tungsten score. Then in you camera set the white balance to that number. It 'should' compensate for that. Again, haven't tried any of those apps and just photograph as neutral as possible and in RAW and then compensate to the right color balance.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Kramer said:

You can also try a tungsten app. Haven't tried any but the general idea is that you point you phone at a light and you get a Tungsten score. Then in you camera set the white balance to that number. It 'should' compensate for that. Again, haven't tried any of those apps and just photograph as neutral as possible and in RAW and then compensate to the right color balance.  

Dang dude! That's pretty sick. I'll have to do that actually! Right now I use Camera +, and have used the auto white balance. I still own and older EOS model, so I may try to go back to raw. It just takes forever for me, as I am not a photographer. So I thought a straight in the phone approach would be much more shortsighted and time efficient. :P

Thanks for the tip, my man! :D

9 hours ago, Pigbones said:

Nice work! Really enjoying the Greenskin Ogres.

What models are those Saberpigs?

Thanks! They are the boars from the Orruk boar-rider box. Just some greenstuff on the parts where the rider would be. :)

2 hours ago, Lysandestolpe said:

Dang dude! That's pretty sick. I'll have to do that actually! Right now I use Camera +, and have used the auto white balance. I still own and older EOS model, so I may try to go back to raw. It just takes forever for me, as I am not a photographer. So I thought a straight in the phone approach would be much more shortsighted and time efficient. :P

Thanks for the tip, my man! :D

Thanks! They are the boars from the Orruk boar-rider box. Just some greenstuff on the parts where the rider would be. :)

Camera + is solid, and it has white balance adjusters.

Heres a slightly older article on it:

http://www.idownloadblog.com/2013/01/05/white-balance-lock/

Basically you can adjust the WB (white balance) slider color temperature more towards blue. (You’re not looking at tint. But at temperature.) (blue is ‘higher temperature’  ie towards the 5500k and Yellow is ‘cooler temperature’ ie 2700-3000k ... this is because it is based on the Kelvin scale)

If you take a pot of Ceramite white, you adjust the slider until it’s properly white and then lock the color temperature slider. That and a pot of Mechanicus Standard Grey... (it’s a pretty neutral Grey) and as long as they’re not “yellowish” you should hit it okay.

Auto-white balance is “okay” but can still end up with color casting. (It’s typically good enough for normal pictures, because folks often like pictures to be slightly warmer from a color temperature perspective.)

Edited by TheOtherJosh
Color temperature scale info...
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TheOtherJosh said:

Camera + is solid, and it has white balance adjusters.

Heres a slightly older article on it:

http://www.idownloadblog.com/2013/01/05/white-balance-lock/

Basically you can adjust the WB (white balance) slider color temperature more towards blue. (You’re not looking at tint. But at temperature.) (blue is ‘higher temperature’  ie towards the 5500k and Yellow is ‘cooler temperature’ ie 2700-3000k ... this is because it is based on the Kelvin scale)

If you take a pot of Ceramite white, you adjust the slider until it’s properly white and then lock the color temperature slider. That and a pot of Mechanicus Standard Grey... (it’s a pretty neutral Grey) and as long as they’re not “yellowish” you should hit it okay.

Auto-white balance is “okay” but can still end up with color casting. (It’s typically good enough for normal pictures, because folks often like pictures to be slightly warmer from a color temperature perspective.)

Dude! This is fantastic. Thank you so much for taking the time to explain all this and help me improve my photos. I'll definitely apply this to my next images.

4 hours ago, Lysandestolpe said:

So I thought a straight in the phone approach would be much more shortsighted and time efficient.

Oh it will be. But Looking at the time in effort you put into your painting it might be for you. It’s all about light and what it does to the subject. Something you definitely use in your painting as you are very skilled with utilizing light fall on your models. 

• Thanks 1