Thinking about starting Beastclaw Raiders

Lolman101

Hello every again. 

Continuing my journey into discovering what faction I'd like to play in AoS (I have never played the game but have played 40k for years now) I came across Beastclaw Raiders. I never payed them much attention and honestly, until yesterday,  didn't really know they existed  (I think I saw them and just figured they're size would make them like £90 each like 40k... but damn! Every single one can be made from the start collecting box! I buy 1 box every couple of months and I'm set in less than a year!). Anyway, I don't get back to the uk now until October but I like to prepare way in advance so was wondering if people might persuade me to dedicate myself to beastclaws.

Abiut my self and questions I have:

1. I dont have a huge amount of room anymore for hundred models armies so beastclaws look like a perfect army for that. Small model count and all that can go on my shelf.

2. How is their painting?  I watched a tutorial for warhammer tv and it seemed not impossible for a semi okay painter... maybe a lot of effort but I'm fine with this if I only have to do it two or three times. (I pkay orks in 40k so imagine how bored i am of paintings boyz....).

3. Money wise I'm okay but don't like to spend too much. Having everything in a SC box seems great for me then as I can make what I want. Is this correct? 

4. But what should I make? Who should my general be? What list shoukd I have? I like the elephant looking dudes as they're almost like LoTR kinda style. But anyone got any suggestions on this?

5. What do i need to buy? Never played the game and own nkthing AoS related. So whatshould i buy if ai just want to play oure beastclaw raiders. 

6. How do they play? I'm not a competitive person and never play in tournaments but still want to give my opponent a challenge and win soke games.

Alright, I can't answer number 6 for you accurately because it just depends. Beastclaw Raiders wants to get the charge a lot of the time with their big stuff (as its more advantageous) so how they play is really a matter of how you are as a general. If you want to have some fun and have some big duders just generally smashing your opponent into the ground, these guys can be awesome. Also a lot of people will argue Destruction is the forgotten faction, so YMMV. Frankly, I think Beastclaw Raiders is a brilliant army. I also play Goblins and Orcs. The tedium of moving a lot of models can really reduce your enjoyment of the game and movement bases can make things less fluid.

Now for some of your specific questions

1) Small model count armies are good for just ****** around wtih

2) If you're watching the Warhammer TV stuff, I think you're good to go. These guys are easy enough to paint and following the step by step instructions is great IMO (one of the things I like about GW stuff is I can just zen out and paint by numbers)

3) In my area, most people play games in about the 1000 point range, in which you need a General and 2 Battlelines. A start collecting box will get you a general and 2 battlelines at 740 points.

4) What should you make is really up to you. Most people make their General on a Stonehorn. It just seems to be the way to go. For me, I like a nice variety of units and the Big dudes were what drew me to this army, so my 1000 point BCR list is a Huskard on Stonehorn, 1 x 4 Mournfangs (which can be split into 2 x 2 if you want) and a Thundertusk Beastriders.

5) A start collecting box is usually the way to go.

6) Also an additional thing about how they play. Beastclaw Raiders is usually a low model count army as you've surmised already. One of the things about a lot of the scenarios in AoS is you requiring more models than your opponent within range of the objective. You would already be at a disadvantage with BCR. That being said, you have big dudes that can smash stuff, so you know... its all good.

2 hours ago, Lolman101 said:

Hello every again. 

Continuing my journey into discovering what faction I'd like to play in AoS (I have never played the game but have played 40k for years now) I came across Beastclaw Raiders. I never payed them much attention and honestly, until yesterday,  didn't really know they existed  (I think I saw them and just figured they're size would make them like £90 each like 40k... but damn! Every single one can be made from the start collecting box! I buy 1 box every couple of months and I'm set in less than a year!). Anyway, I don't get back to the uk now until October but I like to prepare way in advance so was wondering if people might persuade me to dedicate myself to beastclaws.

Abiut my self and questions I have:

1. I dont have a huge amount of room anymore for hundred models armies so beastclaws look like a perfect army for that. Small model count and all that can go on my shelf.

2. How is their painting?  I watched a tutorial for warhammer tv and it seemed not impossible for a semi okay painter... maybe a lot of effort but I'm fine with this if I only have to do it two or three times. (I pkay orks in 40k so imagine how bored i am of paintings boyz....).

3. Money wise I'm okay but don't like to spend too much. Having everything in a SC box seems great for me then as I can make what I want. Is this correct? 

4. But what should I make? Who should my general be? What list shoukd I have? I like the elephant looking dudes as they're almost like LoTR kinda style. But anyone got any suggestions on this?

5. What do i need to buy? Never played the game and own nkthing AoS related. So whatshould i buy if ai just want to play oure beastclaw raiders. 

6. How do they play? I'm not a competitive person and never play in tournaments but still want to give my opponent a challenge and win soke games.

Maybe check out the miniwargaming free trial for point 4. They did a Beastclaw raiders review yesterday i think. The presenter argued frostlord on stonehorn as the general. His gameplan is getting the charge with the frostlord so a stonehorn supplements that best. Huskard on Thundertusk as a second wave that gives you some ranged threat to take out smaller heroes in your opponents second line. Maybe two in bigger games. 

So yeah I would go two start collecting boxes, build one as stonehorn and the other as thundertusk and magnetise the riders. That way your set to play 1500 +- games to check out how things word and decide what you want for a 2K list or if you even want to. 

To me there is nothing worse than start building an army and losing momentum because the list you bought doens't play as you would like. But with Beastclaw with a fairly limited investment (two start collecting) you can play big enough games to test your playstyle and see what works. 

3 hours ago, Lolman101 said:

Does anyone know what i need to play then? Do i need 2.0 rukebook, 2.0 generals hand book and the orgianl 1st edition beastclaw battletome?

Well... you need the beast claw battletome for the army/allegiance rules. 

The generals handbook for the correct points etc if you want to play matched play. 

And core for extra rules etc. I think this is the only one you can postpone :/ 

but it’s all very good and fun. Just a bit hard on the wallet ?

Archived