Gravesite placement

Dmuerto

So the Death player can choose 4 gravesites. 2 can be anywhere and 2 must be WHOLLY in their own territory.

What does this mean? If you just use a small token, you can just put it next to the center of the play area and it is always wholly on the Death players territory right? Or is the gravesite measured as 9" to every direction from the token?

1 hour ago, Dmuerto said:

So the Death player can choose 4 gravesites. 2 can be anywhere and 2 must be WHOLLY in their own territory.

What does this mean? If you just use a small token, you can just put it next to the center of the play area and it is always wholly on the Death players territory right? Or is the gravesite measured as 9" to every direction from the token? 

You should have to think is that enemy units can block the effect of the gravesides, so putting all into the middle could mean that a single model can block all 4 (in case of the summoning effect).

On 7/13/2018 at 12:46 AM, CanHammer-darren said:

What are the tactics with placement? Late game ressing a dead unit? Spaced out for regeneration?

I'd also be interested to hear people's opinions on this, any pointers etc. 

I've watched quite a few battle reports and I have yet to see any where opponents are making the effort to block gravesites to prevent respawn - deliberately anyway. It seems like you can place them aggressively (for regen) or defensively (for respawn) but I don't have any experience of this yet. 

In the Legion of Night thread there was talk of placing some in the backfield of your opponent to summon a hammer unit from the grave, then using the cogs to have a better chance of a charge. This implies then that you'd place the "anywhere on the board" sites within 15" of an edge, and have a hero in ambush to bring the unit from the grave. To me it sounds risky, as one would imagine an opponent would find it easier to block gravesites in their own territory, but the uncertainty of when and where the ambush will come seems to have utility in keeping the opponent unbalanced according to players in that thread. 

I personally am worried about blocked gravesites, possibly even more than I'm worried about my general dying and my losing respawn that way. I'd love to hear some insights/philosophy/advice on this topic! 

2 hours ago, Captain Roderick said:

SNIP

I personally am worried about blocked gravesites, possibly even more than I'm worried about my general dying and my losing respawn that way. I'd love to hear some insights/philosophy/advice on this topic! 

I am the inverse.  I'm concerned about losing my General before I'm worried about blocked gravesites. 

I've played a handful of games.  I brought a 30 unit of wolves back in one game but it was "win-more" and forgot about resurrecting them in another that I probably still would have lost.  The regen effect sort of plays counter to resurrecting.  I a played Death mirror where I got 4-5 regens for a single unit.  It wasn't going anywhere.  I've started to play them a more defensively after that.  Part of that is my build.  I don't have a "suicide" unit I want to recycle 2-3 times over the course of the game.  I have a tanky unit I want grinding through to the end of the game.  After that I'm bringing back a unit of 5 direwolves?  Sure it's a free unit but I've been in situations where a Command Ability at the right time has been more relevant than a free chaff unit.

Generally, gravesites beside objectives and after that, midfield, right where my big tanky unit will engage is where I want mine.

54 minutes ago, Deadkitten said:

Part of that is my build.  I don't have a "suicide" unit I want to recycle 2-3 times over the course of the game.  I have a tanky unit I want grinding through to the end of the game.

So I'm now wondering if the distinction between the two tactics could be based on whether you've got first turn or not? Or, more subtly, whether you're liable to be first on the objectives? 

If you've a good chance of getting on the objectives, then your want gravesites nearby to keep your units there grinding away. 

If not, having a little space lets you repeatedly slam a suicide hammer into the foe - black knights, for example? The opponent won't be able to effectively camp both your gravesites and the objectives if there's enough space between them. 

Does that sound right or am I fishing for a core philosophy that doesn't actually end up working out in reality? 

2 hours ago, Deadkitten said:

I am the inverse.  I'm concerned about losing my General before I'm worried about blocked gravesites.

I absolutely agree. I'm still putting my mostly-Deathrattle army together, but the thought of losing my General seems like a huge deal. A Necromancer with LoS and the ability to pass off wounds should make him pretty tanky, but with so many Celestar Ballistae around I'm still worried. Maybe he needs a durability artefact?

2 hours ago, Honk said:

Same with the gravesites...just too funny double 40skelli slap-match with 8d3 regen each turn 

well kinda funny at first, then it gets kinda stupid instead

Yeah played against death and the healing got abit silly.  

All of the local AOS matches

On 7/12/2018 at 3:47 AM, Dmuerto said:

Grave Sites are 1mm dots that are markers.  Not terrain so they are in theory supposed to be moved when interfering with model placement then roughly returned later.  I’m really hoping for a 2.0 terrain guideline at some point because the adhock fix really annoys me when seeing the free terrain others get while we have this conceptual bs.

On the bright side if using a fancy bit of terrain (which isn’t terrain) only the 1mm marker has to be inside your lines.

As for strategies most of the local games are match pointed with objectives.  With a few guidelines followed.

• 9” off an objective I know I’ll be holding.  Close enough to reinforce my tarpit but far enough to make is difficult for an enemy to get both at once.
  • Placed in groups of two or castling with all four.  I’ve had a 20x skeletal unit hold off Khorne on a narrow bridge before.  It was glorious.
  • Pointing outwards towards another objective to act as a way point.
  • Middle map summoning turn-one objective grabbers.  I’m always going first and even if in therory someone else dropped troops in my path either the VLoZD or Morghasts would get a free unit kill.  So far it means I’m able to drop a large unit of skeletons that has either forced a serious fight at an objective or caused enemy light objective grabbers to go elsewhere.

I have yet for a blocked grave site marker to be a concern.

12 minutes ago, Evil Bob said:
  • 9” off an objective I know I’ll be holding.  Close enough to reinforce my tarpit but far enough to make is difficult for an enemy to get both at once.
  • Placed in groups of two or castling with all four.  I’ve had a 20x skeletal unit hold off Khorne on a narrow bridge before.  It was glorious.
  • Pointing outwards towards another objective to act as a way point.
  • Middle map summoning turn-one objective grabbers.  I’m always going first and even if in therory someone else dropped troops in my path either the VLoZD or Morghasts would get a free unit kill.  So far it means I’m able to drop a large unit of skeletons that has either forced a serious fight at an objective or caused enemy light objective grabbers to go elsewhere.

Many thanks - just what I was looking for ?

The problem with placing them is also your scenario.

standart stupid I go for the middle diamond shape kinda 12x12, but if you’re playing battle of the pass a 2x2 on the flanks might be better or depending on your list (1 or 2 grind units) 3x1 or whatnot. 

The spread out into enemies territory kinda relies on either a very fast hero (vamp-horsie-pistons) getting into 9“ summoning range or a legion of the night list.

The night list is imho (not humble at all) stupid, since you can bring „all you want“ into the backyard anyway, but whatever tickles your palate.

the rocket champ is interesting, playing maybe LoB or LoS and still being able to bind your opponent in his own quaters.

Archived