Obligatory Introduction

Mephisto

Greetings folks!

I'm Mephisto or the Magical Mr. Mephisto if you're not into the whole brevity thing. It's a silly moniker bestowed sarcastically upon me a decade plus ago in college that sort of stuck (no, it's not representative of Mephiston :P but actually DII).  My pedigree? Well, D&D was a gateway drug for me when I was about ten years old and that in turn got me interested in WHFB in the early 90s. By trading comics and with a meager allowance, I put together an Undead Army one pack of resin skeletons at a time, painted them terribly, and right about when I finished 2000 points, they split my army and released Vampire Counts (and teased but delayed Tomb Kings). I played for a few years before going off to college where 40K was the game of the land. It wasn't my first love but I played 40k basically because my friends did. Inevitably adult things happened after college. I took a hiatus from wargaming in general to work on my writing, start raising a family the hard away (i.e. not through necromancy), and recently got a stream off the ground. 

So why am I here? Why AOS? Glad you asked. Like many, I saw AOS come out. Watched it from a distance but didn't engage. Then at the beginning of this year (maybe it was the end of last) my friend assured me AOS was good. He first just filled me in on the fluff of what I'd missed.  Then he let me play his second army against his first and I was hooked all over again. Honestly, it's been like a homecoming. How did I ever stop playing? Why did I leave this big piece of me missing?  Fast forward 7 or 8 months, I've amassed a healthy collection of Death (Grand Host and Sacrament) and it's like I never left. Add in the fact that 2.0 just dropped and basically every month for the last half a year has been like Christmas for me.

My interests in the game? Varied and complicated. The flavor of WHFB was always something I truly relished. Since I was slowly putting my army together one mowed lawn or shoveled sidewalk at a time, I spent 90% of those early years reading Warhammer Armies Books/Battletomes and White Dwarfs and playing the old Warhammer: Dark Omen game on PS1. One thing I truly love about AOS is that they took the core of that lore and just cranked it up to 11. I'm also an appreciator of rules and theory craft (list building) and I do have a competitive streak. 

Anyway, thanks for reading my rant. I hope to see you all around these hobby gaming haunts.

Oh and ALL HAIL THE GREAT NECROMANCER AND SUPREME LORD OF THE DEAD!111!!!!111!!!oneoneoneone!!eleven!!!! **cough** Sorry. I'm not sure what that was. I must be coming down with something.

5 hours ago, AaronWIlson said:

Welcome to the forum @Mephisto  :D

It's a really good time to jump into the game, so welcome to the endless legions of Nagash! Do you currently own a army / if you do what's your plans going forward :D

@AaronWIlson thanks for the warm welcome!

To your question, I have owned and been running Legions of Nagash since about April. My lists usually involve 80 skeletons, a unit of morghasts, some black knights, a couple necromancers, and our dark lord and savior, Nagash. I also own Arkhan, some Vargheists, extra Morghasts, Vampire Lord on ZD, a box of GG (I'd like to pick up another as I think they're best run in a group of 20) and an assortment of other Death stuff. I'm sure if I called my grandma she might even still have some of my original Undead/Vampire Counts army lying around somewhere. Might. Probably not. That was a long time ago.

My army is currently being painted. I thought up a pretty cool theme (pics to come) and I hope to have it done by Gencon... apparently painting 80 skeletons takes a long time. Of course the army was purchased pre-2.0 so I have some changes I'd like to make moving forward (like rounding out my Sacrament list with a Mortis Engine for the Lords of Sacrament Battalion) and picking up some Endless Spells because I think Nagash, even if he's not doing portal tricks, is one of the best casters in the game and benefits from having some of them handy. My latest scheme is toying around with the idea of running a Ghoul King on Terrorgheist as my hammer since I find the idea of him just dropping 3 Flayers incredibly amusing and strategically flexible but that's the sort of thing I'll proxy first and play test using empty bases to see how it feels before I buy it. I actually love list building and optimization. I play with LON but when I acquired the army it was important that I had the tools to pivot toward Sacrament every now and 2.0 made that prospect more enticing. 

But before I buy a Mortis Engine or Ghoul King and 3 Flayers (although I could easily bash my currently assembled Vargheists to look more like Crypt Flayers), the plan is to make sure my core list has been fully painted for gencon. I'll tinker after that

I plan on playing at the AOS tournament at Gencon in Indy (have my badge and everything already) and then at the end of next month I'm flying down with my friend to NOVA - I am CURRENTLY struggling with how to transport Nagash on an airplane. After that, I fully intend to immerse myself in tournaments and events. Ya know, just road tripping with friends to interesting places and playing in tournaments and meeting people. Having casual pick-up games on the side tables at some big event with a beer in my hand (maybe even invent some cool story for why our armies are battling across the country) and really just measuring and challenging myself. And next year? You better believe the goal is Adepticon. I also missed a local tournament, Brew City Bash, this year and I don't intend to next year.

I play games as much as possible at the LGS to. That's where I play a lot of experimental games and casual games and such. I've not played any narrative campaigns yet but I'd like to maybe organize one myself at some point.

Archived