Order of the Fly?

Wired4War

Some of my favorite stories so far involved this band of 'honorable' knights dedicated to Nurgle (featured heavily in Plaguegarden). Has anyone made this the focus of their army? I'm trying to decide if rotbringers or slaves to darkness would be more appropriate to represent them. 

I haven’t read Plaguegarden, can you tell me a bit more about them?

The only mounted units you have in Rotbringers are the flying Blightlords, but if they’re more old school horse types then I would say that Chaos Knights with the Mark of NURGLE would be more appropriate.

I think a mixture of Chaos Knights with Blightking bits would look amazing. A lot of the more noble looking Chaos Lord miniatures with some NURGLE bits and scythe conversions look really good.

They basically show up in all of Josh Reynolds books, taken from Lexicanum:

The Order of the Fly is a knightly order dedicated to the Chaos God Nurgle in the Realm of Ghyran.

Their full title is the Most Suppurating and Blightsome Order of the Fly and their home is known to the servants of Order as the Blighted Duchies. 

One of the central tenets is Clarity. This they see as Nurgle’s gift to his chosen so that they may see the world as it is, stripped bare of desire and hope, leaving only a beautiful despair. The members of the Order are thus able to find comfort in surrender, joy even love in acceptance, at the heart of all endings, and finally serenity at the end of all things. It is this serenity which they seek to impart to what they call the ignorant and the savage.

Their greatest strength is their knights who ride powerful mutated and tainted steeds and who are often accompanied by lesser Rotbringers serving as armsmen. These are often well trained, dress in hauberks made from toad-dragon hide and carry wide iron-rimmed shields as well as festering blades and spears.  To become a full knight a squire must quest through the gardens of Nurgle. Each must quest for and taste the sour syrup of the Flyblown Chalice carried by the Lady of Cankerwall herself. Only then may they take the seven times seventy-seven oaths to the King of All Flies.

I think your idea for Chaos Knights with Blightking bits would fit that well. I love the irony of these bloated, maggot infested knights with rotting armor speaking like Brettonians about honor and chivalry. 

1 hour ago, Darkfine said:

You could go ham and convert something mount like from the BCR line with Pusgoyle riders but dear lord, that would be more expensive than an entirely Forgeworld army.

I'd I ever win the lottery this is how I'll do it ?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm making an all knight army for RAW in October and stumbled upon this thread having previously had no knowledge of the Order. I love it though and am so glad I realised this was a thing before I started painting.

Would anyone who is familiar with the stories be able to tell me if there is any mention of heraldry/colours? I'd like to paint mine in line with the text but don't have the time to scour through the books myself.

The theme behind my force was inspired by the order of the fly. 

The 7 Lords of Ruination are led by the infamously contagious, Lord Sepsis. The 7 Lords of Ruination are the spearhead of the Order of Ruination.

Basically Loa and 6 pusgoyles and then a rotbringer force (20 kings, Harbinger, gutrot, Lob, sorcerer) backed up by a horde of daemons.

On 8/3/2018 at 4:01 AM, Oldshrimpeyes said:

I'm making an all knight army for RAW in October and stumbled upon this thread having previously had no knowledge of the Order. I love it though and am so glad I realised this was a thing before I started painting.

Would anyone who is familiar with the stories be able to tell me if there is any mention of heraldry/colours? I'd like to paint mine in line with the text but don't have the time to scour through the books myself.

I don't think I've read anything about heraldry and color other than the typical Nurgle themes of 3 circles, etc. Seems to be a pretty big group with a number of duchies, so you have room to imagine your own.

Archived