In to the Realm of Death, a Stormcast palate cleanser.

Hi all,

As I'm sure you all knowby now that I have painted the odd Stormcast miniature over this last year, but as of last week I have hit the wall! I was sat trying to get started on yet more Paladins but just couldn't. I needed a break!

So wile looking around in the garage I found all the remnants of my old Warhammer terrain, everything that I didn't rework for Age of Sigmar and I figured that a change was as good as a rest. Painting the old stuff up with a different look would give me a nice break from painting Stormcast and maybe inspire my next army. 

I ended up wanting to recreate what I had seen of the Games Workshop Hull Twitter feed (check it out @GWHull) It is still nice and bright with lots of colour but still moody and creepy. 

image.jpeg

Armed wine a box of old and in some cases broken terrain I made a start. First up was a test piece to see if I liked the look, nothing fancy just drybushinh and washes but it came out great. There is a good ten bits I can rework and that's plenty for a table full, if you are coming to Alliance in August you should get to play on it as I hope to have it all finished for then.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Expect more updates over the weekend and more stuff get a photographed and painted. 

Next up is a simple step by step of how I painted this stuff, like I said nothing fancy was used here jut simple techniques that you can use on any terrain. 

First up I sprayed the whole thing gray using the citadel colour sprays, I did spray it black first to get a bit of shadow in the deeper cracks.

image.jpeg

Next up is to add some color with a wash of Wild Rider red and Nihilakh Oxide, both paints were thinned down with medium to get the pigment to settle in the cracks are recesses. As you can see this was splashed around without much of a need to be neat.

image.jpeg

Then we are on to the drybrushing, two different grays were used to cover up a bit of the mess from the red and blue. A bid scenery brush and a large drybrush are great for big stuff like this.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Rope details get a bit of brown on them ready to be drybushed at a later stage.

image.jpeg

Next up is a neat trick, the tops of the branches are sprayed black again. I used a can but you could use a airbrush if you have one. The black makes them look old or burnt. Watch out for over spray though, I used a bit of paper to wrap around the base just in case I missed.

image.jpeg 

Penultimate steps are back to the drybush, the darker grey on the black branch tips, the white around the base making sure to get the extreme edges. It's the first time I've used the dry paints, I have to say they are better that I expected.

image.jpeg

Next up leaves! Exciting right?

Spray these bad boys green, again using the citadel sprays. I mount the most bits of old sprue to make painting them easier. 

image.jpeg 

Once the spray is dry it's back drybrushing, a nice Skink blueimage.jpeg

Then white with any branches picked out in Mornfang Brown.

image.jpeg

Then wash the lot in Nuln Oil, the large wash brush is the one to go with here, I love that brush.

image.jpeg

Last job is yet more drybrushing, bit of white right on to the edges.

image.jpeg

Once they are all done it's just a case of sticking them on to the tree and base, I add the, to the base to break it up a bit. I've also used the new Gloss Wash on some of the sand and base to mak the ground look wet and swamp like.

image.jpeg

All done!

Hpoe this helps anyone painting terrain, it's super easy and looks cool and anything.

Evening all,

A quick update from me with some more finished pieces of terrain, flying along with it now and hopefully will get everything finished for club night on Thursday with a good painting session tomorrow night. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

And here is tonight's progress.

image.jpeg

Finished the last of my terrain tonight, ready for club night tomorrow. It's been great fun to do and a brilliant distraction from the Stormcast. 

image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

Ten piece of terrain and done in a little over two weeks, really happy with that and they look great all together.

I'll be back on the Stormcast this weekend ?

image.jpeg

• 5 weeks later...

Archived