Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Boss Salvage

Realm-Specific Artefacts Rundown?

I haven't spent much of any time with my shiny new core book (and don't have it with me at work), but I'm hearing about realm-specific artefacts actually seeing play, at least competitively. Lens of Refraction is the big one from 6 Nations, however I'm curious what else I should be on the look out for? What's good / great in the realm artefacts? I think I've heard tell of some Ghur ones that are insta-takes for fighty heroes, for example.

• Like 1

I finally got some time with the massive list of artefacts, and I guess my overall takeaways are:

• There's a ton of great stuff in here, that I really do think promotes diversity and levels the field a bit, especially for subfactions without battletomes
  • No, taken as a whole these lists don't feel particularly balanced, especially with how bat**** crazy the high end items are
  • For those armies fortunate enough to take multiple artefacts (not really me), I can appreciate the decision to take certain realms over others, and it also explains all the similar-but-weaker artefacts across the realms, things that do what another realm's version does just not as good
  • Despite originally being in support of banning the realm artefacts, I don't really feel that way now, there are just too many of them that are decent, and they add too much to list / fluff design to just be lopped off (yes that includes the Lens of Always Taken)
On 7/9/2018 at 12:10 PM, Mayple said:

Blade of Judgement from Ulgu :)

Originally I was pretty impressed by Ulgu, as it was one of the first lists I read, but I actually think Ghyran is my favorite. Maybe that's because I favor static buffs, playing in all phases and healing in a game where everybody is dying all the time. It probably doesn't matter, but for those who haven't digested the artefacts, here're my highlights:

Shooting

• Wraithbow (Shyish) - 0-6 mortal wounds @ 18" (great range if hard to hit)
  • Splintertooth (Shyish) - D3/D6 mortal wounds @ 8" (fun dice mechanic + decent damage)
  • Rockjaws (Ghur) - D3 mortal wounds @ 8" (high likelihood of hitting)
Combat
  • Ghyrstrike (Ghyran) - +1 to hit and wound (so simple, so good)
  • Sword of Judgement (Ulgu) - 6+ to hit = D6 mortal vs heroes + monsters (even as a Tizz player I tend to dismiss 6+ to proc abilities but wow)
  • Anraheir's Claws (Ghur) / Blade of Endings - 6+ to wound / hit = +2 damage (basically the same weapon and a 6+ proc but good against all)
Defense
  • Ethereal Amulet (Shyish) - Ignore modifiers to save rolls (mortal wounds balance this out but whoa)
  • Gryph-feather Charm (Ghur) - Flat -1 to be hit, also +1 move (almost all -1 are shooting or combat, not both)
  • Ignax's Scales (Aqshy) - 4+ ignore mortal wound (not earth shattering but a high probability)
  • Doppleganger Cloak (Ulgu) - Bearer can't be targeted in melee until it attaks (damn on a monster)
  • The Ragged Cloak (Shyish) - One use, bearer can't be targeted in enemy shooting phase (I tend to discount many one use items but completely cutting out an enemy phase is huge)

Movement

• Thermalrider Cloak (Aqshy) - Fly and +4 move (bam!)
  • Hydroxskin Cloak (Chamon) - Fly and strong chance of D3 mortals when flying over enemy (depends on native high movement, as Fly doesn't have as many benefits as 40k's version)

Healing

• Jade Diadem (Ghyran) - 6+ to save = heal 1 (... but you have to save)
  • Wand of Restoration (Ghyran) - Heal 1 on a friend within 6"
  • Greenglade Flash (Ghyran) - One use, heal D6 (again, not a fan of single use but the boost is potentially big)
  • Gleaming Blade (Hysh) - Heal 1 if weapon causes 1+ wound

Misc

• Lens of Refraction (Hysh) - Friend within 6" suffers D3 fewer wounds from spells (yep)
  • Aetherquartz Brooch (Hysh) - 5+ to recoop a spent CP (40k in the house!)

And loads more, this is my first cut I think. Purpose of writing this was to help inform those who haven't seen the rules / might not be aware that these tools exist, as I haven't found many online summaries of them, apart from a podcast or three.

Edited by Boss Salvage
  • Like 5

I like these as well. I just wonder how they will be incorporated since they come from the malign sorcery book?  will they be matched play legal?

4 minutes ago, ravensverd said:

I like these as well. I just wonder how they will be incorporated since they come from the malign sorcery book?  will they be matched play legal?

All of malign sorcery is matched play legal.  The question would be if they are used in tournaments but thats simply up to TO's, I honestly dont see a reason not to include them.

23 minutes ago, Boss Salvage said:

Defence

• Gryph-feather Charm (Ghur) - Flat -1 to be hit, also +1 move (almost all -1 are shooting or combat, not both)

That's the problem with Realm artifacts. Why would anyone use the Stormcast armor with -1 to hit in CC, or the staff that gives -1 to hit if you cast a spell?

They make most of the Battletome items obsolete.

9 minutes ago, Drofnum said:

All of malign sorcery is matched play legal.  The question would be if they are used in tournaments but thats simply up to TO's, I honestly dont see a reason not to include them.

awesome.. so when presenting my nighthaunt army i just say here we are, from shyish.. im taking such and such relic from malign sorcery..   sweet.

Here's my top picks from each realm:

Ghyran
Ghyrstrike 
Ghyrropian Gauntlets
Wand of Restoration

Shyish
Blade of Endings
Banshee Blade
Ethereal Amulet
The Ragged Cloak
Wraithbow

Ghur
Anraheir's Claw
Amberglaive
Blade of Carving
Gryph-feather Charm
Rockjaws

Aqshy
Thermalrider Cloak
Ignax's Scales

Chamon
Rune Blade
Crucible of Molten Silver
Gildenbane

Ulgu
Blade of Secrets
Dimensional Blade
Blade of Judgment
Tricksters Helm
Doppelganger Cloak
Spellmirror
Talisman of the Watcher

Hysh
Aetherquartz Brooch
Lens of Refraction
Mirrored Cuirass

I'd like to play using the new Warscroll Cards. I'm getting the SCE and NH ones, but assume they're coming for all armies - they're so much easier than page flipping or app surfing. But how do I keep track of character artifacts or Realm Spells for wizards? The best I can come up with a PostIt on the back of certain Cards...

On 7/13/2018 at 5:16 PM, AaronWIlson said:

Lens, Blade of Judgement & Gryph feather charm are my winners.

Blade of Judgement is just about the only 6+ proc weapon I'd consider, as well as the only specified-target weapon. I really prefer flat bonuses that work against everybody, but the BOJ proc is just crazy good. And I guess I'll admit I play Tizz so can generally make it happen on command ?

On 7/13/2018 at 10:12 PM, MacDuff said:

I'd like to play using the new Warscroll Cards. I'm getting the SCE and NH ones, but assume they're coming for all armies - they're so much easier than page flipping or app surfing. But how do I keep track of character artifacts or Realm Spells for wizards? The best I can come up with a PostIt on the back of certain Cards...

I really would like magic cards like they did for 8E (and have done for strats in 40k).

On 7/13/2018 at 4:18 PM, ravensverd said:

They are matched play legal.  The question is will they be standard event legal?

33 minutes ago, Dead Scribe said:

They are matched play legal.  The question is will they be standard event legal?

= They are written as GW intended for matched play.  The question is will tournament leaders assume they know better than GW, who frankly do this for a living.

1 hour ago, MightyMetro said:

= They are written as GW intended for matched play.  The question is will tournament leaders assume they know better than GW, who frankly do this for a living.

Sadly when it comes to balance, many times people do know much better than GW. GW is a self proclaimed model company, not a game system company, and that becomes painfully clear at times

On ‎7‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 2:25 PM, DanielFM said:

Why would anyone use the Stormcast armor with -1 to hit in CC, or the staff that gives -1 to hit if you cast a spell?

They make most of the Battletome items obsolete.

Well, if you are taking the Lens of Refraction from Hysh, you ain't taking the Gryph-feather Charm from Ghur.  So you take the SC armour from your tome. 

So as long as all the best stuff isn't collected in one realm, they are already kinda self-limiting.  You can get artefacts from your allegiance and just the one realm that you're from.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, MightyMetro said:

Tournaments have been running their own balanced version of the games for quite a while now so... yes I hope tournament leaders do make sure they keep the game balanced and keep most of the extra random layers off of tournament games.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, amysrevenge said:

Well, if you are taking the Lens of Refraction from Hysh, you ain't taking the Gryph-feather Charm from Ghur.  So you take the SC armour from your tome. 

So as long as all the best stuff isn't collected in one realm, they are already kinda self-limiting.  You can get artefacts from your allegiance and just the one realm that you're from.

This is why I've backed down on hard banning the Lens, as it means you aren't taking any of the other top tier artefacts from other realms. Hysh has other cool stuff to choose, but those are certainly shown up by other realm's offerings. And yea, good point on when that SC armor becomes viable - when the Charm isn't an option.

1 hour ago, Dead Scribe said:

Tournaments have been running their own balanced version of the games for quite a while now so... yes I hope tournament leaders do make sure they keep the game balanced and keep most of the extra random layers off of tournament games.

Amen. I almost never played a by-the-book match of Warhammer throughout both 7th and 8th edition. It's actually pretty bizarre that I'm doing that now with AOS, but I guess it shows the shininess of the new edition and the relative youth of my local scene.

Man I wish there were some options to take more then one artefact. Having a single one, is imo too limiting for some armies.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, blueshirtman said:

Man I wish there were some options to take more then one artefact. Having a single one, is imo too limiting for some armies.

Yeah, like if the option was not 50 points for one CP, but rather 75 points (or some other amount? it's the notion, not the specific amount that's important) for one CP and one artefact.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Lord_Skrolk said:

Sadly when it comes to balance, many times people do know much better than GW.

5 hours ago, Dead Scribe said:

I follow your argument and im sure that things will continue as they always have re tournaments. :) 

My point was that GW encourage “Organised Play” for AOS. Underworlds:Shadespire, however, is marketed as a “Competitive” game.  Perhaps, AOS is not, first and foremost, a competitive game.

Tournament operators introduce their packs in order to optimize the competive nature of aos. They are entitled to do so, but they are creating a restricted subset of rules.  GW, meanwhile, seem much more interested in developing their toolkit with layers of options.  Perhaps GW have created exacty what they want!  Nevertheless, we can all coexist.

However, when some players, not those of us in this thread, start to be negative and say that “X is rubbish” or “Y was a mistake.” Perhaps they miss this point.

Expressing an opinion that “Z should be dropped by TO” shows understanding that AOS is, to many players, more than the restricted subset required by TO.   Also, it shows some degree of respect for the work that GW have put into their products. (Im not fanboying here. I just acknowledge that the people, not the corporate entity, making AOS try to actively engage with the community these days)

Imho, negativity from tournament players can be damaging to the game overall.  Constructive criticism in context, however, is very important.

i’ll drop this point now. So as not to derail the thread.

9 hours ago, blueshirtman said:

Each Batallion you take unlocks another artefact :)

11 minutes ago, AaronWIlson said:

Only if you have access to battalions.

6 hours ago, AaronWIlson said:

BCR don't really have those. I wish there was something like pay 50-100pts and buy relic, same way we get CP for points.