Generals' handbook matched play scenarios

Ian R

Played a couple of the new scenarios in preparation for Ben Curry's Alliance tournament.  The new way of capturing objectives, NUMBER of models in 6" totally changes things for those of us who have got used to SCGT comp.  

Not formed a view of which I prefer, but certainly it makes a big difference in army list selection and it feels like you now really need those hordes of infantry, and ways of killing them!  Multi wound models suddenly seem a bit less attractive compared to big infantry units which can bring models back.

Anyone els struggling to  change their thinking on this?

Yup - it's a point I've been trying to push for a while now.  Expectations for some are that points are what rule tournaments in the past, but board control and models will be where the real battle is.

Don't sell out multi-wounds yet either.  The factor of bravery pulling models off can be a big swing.

Yeah scoring is kind of all over the place. I believeo ne specified heros, on specified any models (not contested by any enemy models), and who had most models. I think this as with a randomized scenarios different armies can be favored in different ways.

okay got my book. This stuff looks great. 

3 are more models than enemy army, 1 is heros, 1 is 5 or more model and single models can contest, 1 is all models can control and contest but number doesn';t matter.

The hero mission, mission 5 is crazy cool to me. So at the end of your move you control the objective if your the only hero there, otherwise you can only control it that turn if your hero kills the other hero. This is very beneficial to big monster heros camping on the objectives, but even then you need multiple heros to get all the objectives. Very cool stuff hereo.

1 is models based with a twice. While yes you need 5 models to claim control, one single model can contest an objective. Meaning you really don't need to horde up or take as many units of troops as possible.

The only 1 model control and contest can is pretty cool because each side has some control of where thier objective is placed in the middle of the game, but it is also partly random.  Can really favor mobility and also doesn't favor horde in any particular way.

the other 3 have other things about them that make them really cool, but they do use the clash comp style mroe models controls. However, the major victory condition for 2 of these can be done ahead of time and the third has crazy deployment. 

Archived