Hi so new to AOS normally play 40k.

I recently moved back to my home town for various reasons. Contacted the local games workshop nice store, seems like nice people. No 40k tournaments or campaigns and they don't tend to do late evenings as due to their location inside a shopping centre.

Either way manager is nice told me there is an aos path to glory campaign about to begin. More narrative RP. So I thought hey I'd give it a ago. 

So just looking for some general advice as I had 2 X spire of dawn / island of blood I picked up for cheap and bought a copy of anvilguard as hydra i have learned to love in twwh2, so decided to go with order aelfs. Plus the fact they seem to be one big faction now thought cool can rp some malekeith loyalists mixture.

Well what's happened to the aelfs lost all the love from GW? I know it is most likely down to IP issues but half their warscrolls seem to be missing....

Anyway I rolled picked an archmage, rolled a loremaster, phoenix guard and x2 units of dreadspears. 

Stormcasts seem to be the popular choice for the store was wondering if anyone had any advise I feel like I need some archers but is there a way for me to change up my warband now I've rolled? Downloaded the book on the AOS app but seems to focus on an orks story doesn't give much in the way of being able to change composition. 

Hello and welcome to Age of Sigmar! 

First of all: two Spire of Dawn sets is a good way to start.

You are right, all the aelfs are one faction now. Or to be more precise, all the "good" factions are now part of the big Grand Alliance Order. You can have a mix of Aelfs, Duardin, Humans and Sylvaneth in one army now. 

In regards to what happened to the Aelfs: at the Start of AoS GW split many of the old armies into many smaller but more focused factions (e.g. Corsairs and Monsters -> Scourge Privateers; Witch Aelfs/Cauldrons of Blood -> Daughters of Khaine). At the same time they also ended production of some of the oldest kits like the High Elves infantry or the Silver Helmets.  You can still found the rules for these out-of-production units at the GW website in the Compendium PDFs. 

In fluff terms: the old divide between the High/Dark/Wood Elves doesnt exist anymore. They are now part of one race that lives side by side with the other races of Order in the Free Cities. The different factions represents various groups within the aelfs, some shady (Darkling Coven) some righteous (Eldritch Council). In the future GW will expand on these smaller factions and they will get a more in-depth background, allegiance abilities and new models (see Daughters of Khaine).

To answer your path to glory questions: the organizer of your campaign makes up the rules. You can ask him if you are allowed to change your army. But in general you roll your starting force and later after playing a few games you can add more units to your army, but your core stays the same. 

1 hour ago, Gecktron said:

. In the future GW will expand on these smaller factions and they will get a more in-depth background, allegiance abilities and new models (see Daughters of Khaine).

Alternatively it may drop them with no expansion. We honestly don't know.

8 minutes ago, MrZakalwe said:

Alternatively it may drop them with no expansion. We honestly don't know.

They havent dropped anything since they released the Grand Alliance books. 

GW has update 9½ (the most recent being Nighthaunts) and dropped 0 factions in the last three years. They even put all the minor factions into the core book which means they will be part of the game for atleast all of this edition. 

7 minutes ago, Gecktron said:

They havent dropped anything since they released the Grand Alliance books. 

GW has update 9½ (the most recent being Nighthaunts) and dropped 0 factions in the last three years. They even put all the minor factions into the core book which means they will be part of the game for atleast all of this edition. 

Recently a very large amount of the minor factions got pulled from all GW stores. I'll wait and see, myself. 

Pulled from stores doesn't mean discontinued. They just make place for new releases. Old things will definitely go to Webstore Exclusives (or in the case of 40k Orks sets - maybe revamped models?).

Yeah I mean I saw a new model for morathi and sisters of khaine going a bit snake like, so hopefully something in the future. 

I just don't see a popular faction being squatted like brettonia or tomb kings. 

Especially while they have a big role of capturing Slaanesh at the moment although I have read the theories Slaanesh may be getting the squat treatment to make it more pc for kids.

I mean I may switch to seraphon as Aztec lizards who ride dinosaurs are pretty kick ass. Also tempted by oruks for the WAAGH but haven't looked to much into their new rules.

But I was thinking rules for swordmasters being able to re-roll arrow wounds etc by deflection with swords pretty sweet as well almost like aelf samurais or something. Especially with sister's of khaine and the 40k counterparts wytchs going all gladiator esque.

Few thoughts

1) First up whilst the Aelves are now all under the Order Grand Alliance they are not all one faction**. Instead they are broadly broken into sub-alliance within that which fit to their old setup. So for example the old Dark Elf units are all able to ally with each other, but can't ally with the old high elf or wood elf groups. Of course this is only strictly true if the campaign is sticking to Matched Play rules and it sounds like its being more open in that regard. So this might be info to keep in mind for the future.  

2) Right now we don't have any idea what so ever what GW is going to do with the bits of factions left without a Battletome Release. They might remain small groups that get the odd model or are simply there as allies; or they might get their own Battletome as Daughters of Khaine did. We really have no idea what GW's plans are.* The only hint is that there is likely to be a new release of Aelves for Malekeith (sp) as his side is featured quite heavily in the Lore. However how that group ties into things is totally unknown at this stage (and as his armies are said to be slightly on the demonic/monstrous side he might even break alliance with Order and do his own thing). 

3) Which book did you get? I would think you'd want to get hold of the Generals Handbook 2018 as I believe that should have most of the warscrolls for the armies within it. If it doesn't then there's an "Order Alliance Book" which has the entire range, with the newer Battletomes superseding them where relevant and the Generals Handbook 2018 superseding them both (and as High Elves don't have any Battletomes at this stage that just means referring to two books)

So generals hand book 2018 is a must I think; get hold of a copy and have a read through it should help you sort out what can and can't be done with the Aelves. 

*Personally I hope that they get some new battletomes but others remain small; fleshing out all of them would be near insanity with the number of factions it would create. 

** In Order the only group that can ally with any force is Stormcast Eternals. All other factions are broken into sub-alliances. Order basically denotes them as Allies of Sigmar in his war against the forces of Chaos, even if some are not as "nice" nor goodly (Daughters of Khaine are just as likely to stab their allies as their enemies in battle). 

So I have path to glory at the moment the new one for this campaign on. I've been told to buy general handbook online as it updates. Using the wh AOS app for Android bit cheaper and the before mentioned. Well my for mix of dark elf and High came from the rolls got some black and purple phoenix guard  I'm Painting up as in the end times he was the true phoenix king ( so malekiths retinue). Yeah I saw  the sub-factions on the warscrolls.

I will have to have a read up next weekend, see how this tournament goes with the warband. 

Skaven went through eBay I'm afraid.

Don't worry too much about things getting moved to online-only, it happens all the time.If it has a plastic kit, it's sticking around - it just might not be on GW store shelves, because with the AoS 2E releases and Kill Team and new 40k scenery and what have you all coming up, they're getting a bit crowded in there.

As for the General's Handbook, absolutely buy the digital version. I recommend getting battletomes this way as well (although playing mixed order Aelves, you probably don't need any of those right now).

Also, who's this "Malekith"? Never heard of him. ;)

19 hours ago, Kempak said:

but is there a way for me to change up my warband now I've rolled? Downloaded the book on the AOS app but seems to focus on an orks story doesn't give much in the way of being able to change composition. 

The manager in my local store allowed to select which units we wanted from the lists rather than roll for it, which the book does say you can optionally do. I would just pick which models you're interested in rather than going randomly, which hopefully the store manager will allow.

Currently the Daughters of Khaine, the Idoneth Deepkin, the Darkling Covens, and the Wanderers are the Aelf factions that currently have their own allegiance abilities - a set of extra rules your army benefits from for having at least 80% of your army be part of a given specific faction.

Otherwise you may mix and match factions and collect whatever you like within Grand Alliance Order and use the more basic Order allegiance abilities; something to consider when you start your AoS collection.

Archived