Nagash led Nighthaunt army

ronin_cse

Hey everyone,

So we're starting a new league at my FLGS and I decided I'm going to go with Nighthaunt. I am however a little confused on how they interact with Legions of Nagash and building up an army. From what I have pieced together from reviews if I do a grant host of Nagash I should be able to add in any death units correct? Would this make it possible to, for example, build an army list that includes Nagash but also includes the new Nighthaunt stuff like Lady Olynder and such?

Hopefully this is an easy question to answer and my ignorance is due to not actually owning the LoN book. Anyways thanks in advance for any help!

I think Lady olyander is nighthaunt-specific and will have to be allied in, but a great many of the nighthaunt units (all the units in the starter set for example), can be given any legion-specific keyword from Legions of Nagash. So it shouldn’t be hard to mix and match. Just going to be a question of which allegiance abilities are more your style (because while you can ally nighthaunt into Grand Host of Nagash, you can’t ally Nagash with anyone in matched play because he’s just too many points)

41 minutes ago, ronin_cse said:

Hey everyone,

So we're starting a new league at my FLGS and I decided I'm going to go with Nighthaunt. I am however a little confused on how they interact with Legions of Nagash and building up an army. From what I have pieced together from reviews if I do a grant host of Nagash I should be able to add in any death units correct? Would this make it possible to, for example, build an army list that includes Nagash but also includes the new Nighthaunt stuff like Lady Olynder and such?

Hopefully this is an easy question to answer and my ignorance is due to not actually owning the LoN book. Anyways thanks in advance for any help!

Short answer yes.

Long answer no.  If you play Legions of Nagash, all the fancy units in the Nighthaunt army are allies to your Legion of Nagash.

This means you do not get their allegiance abilities like fighting after a 10+ charge or being able to get deployed from the underworld.  All your models from the Soul Wars box do however get the the Legion keyword so you can use Legion abilities on them, and based on your points value for the game you can bring a limited number of other Nighthaunt models.  At 2000 points you can bring up to 400 points of allied Nighthaunt, and what you bring in that 400 points doesn't matter but you cannot go over it.  This includes even Lady Olynder or anything else.

7 minutes ago, Nullius said:

I think Lady olyander is nighthaunt-specific and will have to be allied in, but a great many of the nighthaunt units (all the units in the starter set for example), can be given any legion-specific keyword from Legions of Nagash. So it shouldn’t be hard to mix and match. Just going to be a question of which allegiance abilities are more your style (because while you can ally nighthaunt into Grand Host of Nagash, you can’t ally Nagash with anyone in matched play because he’s just too many points)

Is giving those units a legion keyword something from the LoN book?

It is mentioned in the soul wars box and the errata that all units in soul wars and the knight of shrouds on foot could get the Legion keywords and in ghb 18 you could allie nighthaunt

For Nighthaunt you could allie soulblight and deathlords so in a 2000p game you can bring a vampire lord and two Morghast or Arkhan, in a 4000p and more game you could allie Nagash in

Ok so thanks for helping me clarify! Basically if I want Nagash in anything less than a 4000 pt game the main force needs to be LoN. I can use the units from Soul Wars that specifically have the Legion keyword added, and who knows if more Nighthaunt units will get it, and then will have to ally in the rest. Definitely helps me figure out what I want to do for my league!

13 hours ago, ronin_cse said:

Ok so thanks for helping me clarify! Basically if I want Nagash in anything less than a 4000 pt game the main force needs to be LoN. I can use the units from Soul Wars that specifically have the Legion keyword added, and who knows if more Nighthaunt units will get it, and then will have to ally in the rest. Definitely helps me figure out what I want to do for my league!

Don't forget you can run a Grand Alliance: Death army using any units with the Death Keyword, although you won't get many allegiance abilities, it would allow you to run a pretty pokey army.

The matched play points also don't go above 500 for allies (the 2500+ line on the little chart), so if you're playing strict matched play you'd not be ally Nagash as he's too expensive.

I can't see any more NH units being added as options of Legions of Nagash - but you never know! 

Archived