Sylvaneth Wyldwood and LoS blocking (AoS 2.0)

Painbringer

Question

General's Handbook 2018 uses updated warscroll for Citadel Wood, that has the ability: "Models are not visible to each other if an imaginary straight line 1mm wide drawn between the closest points of the two models crosses over more than 1"of the base of a Citadel Wood. This scenery rule does not apply if either model can fly." However, Sylvaneth Wyldwood warscroll says: "A Sylvaneth Wyldwood is a terrain feature consisting of up to three Citadel Woods placed within 1" of each other". So, does this mean that Wyldwood also can block Line of sight? If I follow rules as written, I would say yes - but I'm not sure. 

22 answers to this question

@Painbringer I had thought the Citadel Woods warscroll included both the LoS blocking rule and the newly worded dangerous terrain rule, hence my post. I was wrong about the extra d3 wounds.

I still think that it does not count as LoS blocking as in my opinion a model has a single warscroll to use. In this case it specifically states a Wyldwood warscroll. There is nothing on that warscroll that says you use rules from any other warscroll in addition to the Wyldwood warscroll. The statement of ‘made up of 1 - 3 citadel woods’ simply defines what models are used to represent a Wyldwood.

6 minutes ago, ledha said:

sorry to use necromancy here, but i can't find the FAQ everyone is talking about

Take a look at the "Designers' commentary" for Sylvaneth, located here: https://www.warhammer-community.com/faqs/

Here's the direct link to the PDF as well: https://whc-cdn.games-workshop.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/age_of_sigmar_sylvaneth_designers_commentary_en-1.pdf

On 7/4/2018 at 9:30 PM, Cambot1231 said:

Would be pretty lame if the waywatcher cant shoot out from his own forest that gives him his benefits ?

Why? The wood isn't blocking entirely, only if the closest measurement between shooting unit and target have to cross more than 1" of wood.

Here as an example:

AQxUe0KeMVuhBHUBDSFeSBfdbj0UfAsZXjFp6LFy

• If the Waywatcher is standing like the right blue model to the enemy, the Overgrown Wilderness Ability of the wood doesn't trigger because the line between the two cross less than 1" (or is maximally at 1")
  • In case of the left model the Overgrown Wilderness Ability of the wood triggers because it is further because the line between the two cross more than 1"

ww.JPG.c403273155233d2f7b893369430f2068.JPG

Description

Wyldwood scroll says its made up of up to 3 citadel woods, so far we use the rules for citadel woods for the scenery. 

But

Then the scenery rules for the wyldwood kick in and say the following rules are used for these models.  It doesn't say the following rules plus the citadel woods rules are used, just the following rules. 

So we use the wyldwood rules not the citadel woods rules, nor a combination of both, for the wyldwood.

FAQ could change that and add a line to use both rules, who knows?

The problem is that the item citadel wood and the warscroll should have been names differently. The way I see it, q wyldwood consists of the product citadel wood. But not the warscroll citadel wood. It's two different things. So no, a wyldwood don't block line of sight

7 hours ago, heywoah_twitch said:

And battalions work that way because they specifically say they do in the core rules, and Warscroll Battalion is different than just Warscroll in that way. 

I think the main problem is, that there was no "Citadel Woods" Warscroll before AoS 2.0

After we have it now, GW should change the Warscroll to a Warscroll Battalion (Ruling it by FAQ is actually a bad way to rule it).

2 minutes ago, heywoah_twitch said:

Which wyldwood definitely does not try to do. It's still an important FAQ to get answered, it just feels very angle-shooty.

Not sure what you think is angle-shooty about it. They specifically changed how Citadel Woods work in the new edition and there is an army that summons Citadel Woods. It's not some crazy logical leap. It'll be easy enough for them to clear it up.

Using two Warscrolls for the one thing isn't that weird, that's how Battalions work. Isn't that how the Dreadfort scenery works too? Until we get a clarification or someone finds something we've missed I'll be playing it blocking LoS because it seems pretty cut and dry atm.

In the Sylvaneth points section "Each Sylvaneth Wyldwood is comprised of 1-3 Citadel Woods." Then 7 pages later there are rules for Citadel Woods.

7 minutes ago, ppetford said:

Sooo... if it’s LoS blocking then your using both the Citadel Wood warscroll and the Wyldwood warscroll at the same time. So you charge through the woods you roll twice, once for d3 wounds from the Citadel Wood and once for taking the model off from the Wyldwood. Any other move you make near the Wyldwood you roll a dice for the Citadel Wood warscroll. AND I can summon them all across the board. That’s a big boon to Sylvaneth armies.

Actually, those D3 wounds are not triggered automatically - you have to "activate" the Wyldwood first by casting a spell nearby and then rolling 5+ (or using some other ability that triggers "Roused by Magic"). When you say "Any other move you make near the Wyldwood you roll a dice for the Citadel Wood warscroll", I'm not really sure what you are referring to. For Wyldwood, you do not roll Scenery abilities (that's explicitly stated on the Wyldwood warscroll), so I don't know why would you roll for Citadel Wood warscroll. The only ability that Wyldwood "inherits" from Citadel Wood is LoS blocking - and that's why I opened this thread :D

Sooo... if it’s LoS blocking then your using both the Citadel Wood warscroll and the Wyldwood warscroll at the same time. So you charge through the woods you roll twice, once for d3 wounds from the Citadel Wood and once for taking the model off from the Wyldwood. Any other move you make near the Wyldwood you roll a dice for the Citadel Wood warscroll. AND I can summon them all across the board. That’s a big boon to Sylvaneth armies.

7 hours ago, heywoah_twitch said:

Citadel Woods is a Warscroll, and I don't think a Warscroll can be two different warscrolls at the same time. The Wyldwood description is merely telling you which model to use to represent it in game.

I would say no.

It should be possible because the Generals Handbook says that each Sylvaneth Wyldwood contains 1-3 Citadel Woods.

So we have 1 Citadel Wood as a terrain piece or we can use the Sylvaneth Wyldwood that can be 1-3 Citadel Woods and would have the rules of the Citadel Woods as well as the Rules of the Sylvaneth Wyldwood.

I would say yes too or at least that's how it's played in my gaming group. To be fair, it hurts both sides (more so if you have a lot of shooting).

The counter argument is that you use the old (and still "official") warscroll. I'm leaning to Citadel Woods though, best shoot a question to GW. 

Archived