From 40k to AoS with my Nurgle army. How should i start?

Kimbo

Hi!

As the title says...ive been playing Nurgle daemons in 40k and now i want to see what they do on the table when playing AoS. 

So....

- How would you build a good 1k list to start your adventure's? 

- Whom are the winners and losers in the Nurgle daemons army ? 

- any specific combo's or tips you believe a new maggotkin players should know? I am all ears!

Thank you guys! 

This is hard to answer just now.  For a long time it was Blightkings and sprinkle in whatever characters you liked for buffing Blightkings.

Now that one of their big tricks is dead and -1 to hit killing their exploding dice mechanic ( always did just more of it now) I’m inclined to think either Plaguebearers or probably more likely Marauders will be the way forward for Nurgle, or you know, Archaon.

I personally think there is room to experiment with a few Battalions that didn’t see play.

As for unit by unit for demons,

Great Unclean One- Must have, magnetize it if possible, if not then Bell/blade.  He is a great support piece but don’t look to him to kill anything(can survive nuclear fire though)

Poxbringer- Great, especially after the Arcane Bolt change.  Can also hang out in the back line to spin the wheel or throw Favored Poxs on him and get him stuck in with your front line.

Slimux-  Needs testing, the Menagerie battalion is the only reason to bring this dude and it might be a thing

None caster Heralds- Case bait, good in 40k apparently 

Tallyman- About a year and a half to slow and even with Look Out Sir extremely vulnerable 

In my opinion that is the end of the bad for demons specifically however.  Plaguebearers are great and with Blades/Command Abilities/Armor modifiers can really put out some hurt.

Drones are decent, they won’t wow you most likely but can get the job done, just make sure you keep a demon hero with them

Nurglings are decent at frustrating what your opponent is trying to accomplish.  I’m not sold on their setup special rule that allows them to deploy in cover however, seems to easy to set up 9inch denial zones

Beasts Of Nurgle are more controversial admittedly.  Personally I’m a fan, being a 7 wound Nurgle model they are decently hard to kill and can put out some good hurt with their Locus turned on.

The whole mortal end is another essay in itself.  Marauders being 200 points for 40 men is decent, when you stack any of the many buffs we can dish out they become absolutely nightmarish to deal with.  For instance a Lord of Blights makes them -2/-1 to be hit, Harbingers give them Resiliant, Glottkin can make them 2 wounds each with extra attacks and the list goes on.

Blightkings used to be top dog but I think maybe their time has passed (which is sad as I recently purchased 25 of them).

Blightlords are great models which is a shame as they stay in the case mostly and I’ve seen nothing so far that changes that.

The Maggoth Lords are largely bad, outstandingly great kit though, maybe my favorite.

You need Gnarlmaws, but they are forever sold out.  Get a template of its footprint, buy the GW trees, copy the footprint with clay and call it a bunch of necessary models you can’t otherwise purchase.

If you dig the mortal thing I’d look into getting a Warshrine.

Um, what else.  Nurgle is extremely weak in the character sniping department.  Like terminally unable to get the job done.  If you have too it involves using the corruption cycle and getting off a series of not easy to cast spells.  We are more about winning the objectives than we are removing units(sans a unit buffed to the nines).

Good allies include Jabberslythes for hordes, Cygors and Karanak(only if you have the flesh hounds) for caster hate, various characters from both Khorne and Slaanesh for Archaon shenanigans and Hellstriders for a sweet -1 to hit debuff for the most annoying 30 block of Plaguebearers you’re ever likely to see.

I’m undoubtedly missing a lot but that’s the broad strokes.

Oh and avoid Plague Toads, they got nerfed into oblivion.

At this point in time I’d say start with two Start Collectinga and get some games in with it.  If it tickles your fancy the next thing I’d buy is a Great Unclean One!

I already have an army of Nurgle so the units i got..

Im so sad to hear that about the Blightkings...are they that bad? If you were to run them..how would you do it in order to  obtain an optimal outcome? 

40 minutes ago, Kimbo said:

Im so sad to hear that about the Blightkings...are they that bad? If you were to run them..how would you do it in order to  obtain an optimal outcome? 

Yeah sorry, wrote all of that in a half asleep daze on my phone.

They are only truly bad against hit modifiers and you won’t know if your opponent has those till you set up.

Even without the Plaguetouched Warband, assuming no negative hit modifiers, they are decent.  I just wouldn’t run out and buy 30 of them just yet.  It is a fresh new meta for the game and since you are coming over with a demon army already I’d say just run some games with them and see what’s what. 

Apparently I missed it in my initial post but the Glottkin is good people.  Regardless of where anything else lands he will continue to be a top tier model for Nurgle.

49 minutes ago, Kimbo said:

Blightkings can be countered, but they are still great.   The only hits to Nurgle in my opinion are the minimum size of Marauders and the loss of Plaguetouched.  These are workable problems.

12 hours ago, Darkfine said:

Yeah sorry, wrote all of that in a half asleep daze on my phone.

They are only truly bad against hit modifiers and you won’t know if your opponent has those till you set up.

Even without the Plaguetouched Warband, assuming no negative hit modifiers, they are decent.  I just wouldn’t run out and buy 30 of them just yet.  It is a fresh new meta for the game and since you are coming over with a demon army already I’d say just run some games with them and see what’s what. 

Apparently I missed it in my initial post but the Glottkin is good people.  Regardless of where anything else lands he will continue to be a top tier model for Nurgle.

Glottkin is an awesome model. Got to buy him...can you run him and Rotigus/GUO in the same list effectively? That would look awesome 

I understand that the meta will change and evolve...but...how many Blightkings would you say is not a wante of money? I would love some atleast. Any tips on what to play close to them? 

Cheers 

10 hours ago, Wulfenone said:

How did Nurgle lose plaguetouched again? Can someone explain. 

Every unit in Plaguetouched gains the allegiance of the battalion,  or Everchosen.   That makes 8 units Everchosen  allies, instead of Nurgle, far exceeding point and unit restrictions 

On 7/3/2018 at 10:19 PM, Kimbo said:

They haven't lost any of their potency, that's just people meta-jumping before we've even settled into AoS 2.0!

Yes any -1 to hit will nerf their best ability, but -1 to hit existed in 1.0, its hardly a new phenomenon and it isn't universally available so they are still a wicked force.

7 hours ago, fredster4050 said:

They haven't lost any of their potency, that's just people meta-jumping before we've even settled into AoS 2.0!

Yes any -1 to hit will nerf their best ability, but -1 to hit existed in 1.0, its hardly a new phenomenon and it isn't universally available so they are still a wicked force.

It will 100% guaranteed be more prevalent than it was in 1.0.  If for no other reason than Slaanesh will actually be a thing moving forward.  

By saying I wouldn’t run out and buy 30 Blightkings I am not meta jumping, infact I’m saying wait for the meta to settle.

Get your Blightkings tied up with a Death unit or mowed down by Stormcast artillery a time or two and let me know how great they are.

Here is my meta jump for you though, every time in 2.0 I’d rather have 40 Marauders or 30 Plaguebearers than an equivalent amount of Blightkings.  

13 hours ago, grungolah said:

Every unit in Plaguetouched gains the allegiance of the battalion,  or Everchosen.   That makes 8 units Everchosen  allies, instead of Nurgle, far exceeding point and unit restrictions 

I think the biggest point in AoS2.0 is that the units that make up the battalion have the same keyword. Read point 4

Screenshot_20180705-073212_Samsung Experience Home.jpg

4 hours ago, Wulfenone said:

I think the biggest point in AoS2.0 is that the units that make up the battalion have the same keyword. Read point 4

Screenshot_20180705-073212_Samsung Experience Home.jpg

It's the FAQ to the rules that kills it.  (Page 6)

"An army can include a warscroll battalion of a different allegiance to the rest of the army, but if it does so the units in it do count against the limits on the number of allies the army can have (and the points for the battalion and the units in it count against the points limit that can be spent on allies in a Pitched Battle)."

https://whc-cdn.games-workshop.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/age_of_sigmar_core_rules_designers_commentary_base_sizes_en2.pdf

On 7/4/2018 at 11:46 AM, Kimbo said:

I understand that the meta will change and evolve...but...how many Blightkings would you say is not a wante of money? I would love some atleast. Any tips on what to play close to them? 

Get 1 package of 5 blightkings and add Gutrod Spume and you doing nothing wrong for the beginning ;)

In 2nd Edition I'm more a fan of plaguebearers too and focus in our strong side as nurgle, the defense :D

With what i own and have painted...with some added kings...this is what i have so far. How would you spend the rest of the point forwards 2k? Have i done something wrong here?..

All help is greatly appriciated 

Allegiance: Nurgle

Leaders
Great Unclean One (340)
Gutrot Spume (140)

Battleline
30 x Plaguebearers (320)
10 x Putrid Blightkings (320)

Units
6 x Plague Drones (400)

Total: 1520 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 9
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 123

I am just beginning my Journey with sigmar and Nurgle. All tips and info you think a new player should know...please tell! 

Thank you all for your input and comments! 

6 hours ago, Kimbo said:

With what i own and have painted...with some added kings...this is what i have so far. How would you spend the rest of the point forwards 2k? Have i done something wrong here?..

All help is greatly appriciated 

Allegiance: Nurgle

Leaders
Great Unclean One (340)
Gutrot Spume (140)

Battleline
30 x Plaguebearers (320)
10 x Putrid Blightkings (320)

Units
6 x Plague Drones (400)

Total: 1520 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 9
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 123

I am just beginning my Journey with sigmar and Nurgle. All tips and info you think a new player should know...please tell! 

Thank you all for your input and comments! 

See here is the problem with mixed lists.

If you really want the wow factor for Blightkings you need, absolutely, a Harbinger of Decay or Festus or a Shrine or better all of them.

Plaguebearers want Blades or stacked up attack buffs.

Drones want a fast demon hero to activate their Locus down field.

So the trick is to figure out a blanket of bonuses you like and go from there, typically demon and mortal don’t play well together with the exception of the Glottkin.   Mortals and Plaguebearers both enjoy its benefits.

So where you are now is an okay place.  I’d look to adding either another 30 block of Plaguebearers or a 40 block of Marauders, Sorcerer Lord, Karanak (only if you have the flesh hounds) Slimux (who might be one of our strongest heroes in 2.0) and get some summoning bait.

4 hours ago, Darkfine said:

See here is the problem with mixed lists.

If you really want the wow factor for Blightkings you need, absolutely, a Harbinger of Decay or Festus or a Shrine or better all of them.

Plaguebearers want Blades or stacked up attack buffs.

Drones want a fast demon hero to activate their Locus down field.

So the trick is to figure out a blanket of bonuses you like and go from there, typically demon and mortal don’t play well together with the exception of the Glottkin.   Mortals and Plaguebearers both enjoy its benefits.

So where you are now is an okay place.  I’d look to adding either another 30 block of Plaguebearers or a 40 block of Marauders, Sorcerer Lord, Karanak (only if you have the flesh hounds) Slimux (who might be one of our strongest heroes in 2.0) and get some summoning bait.

I like the idé of Glottkin. If I were to use him.  What would you add/remove from my list in order to reach 2k? 

I got 30 more Plaugebearers. Just need to paint them! 

A fast daemon hero...you mean a prince with Wings? Is that good? 

What do you mean by summoning bait? 

Rough math but drop the kings and gutrot for Glottkin and Marauders.

A prince with wings or a Lord of Afflictions are both great for drones.

Summoning bait is just stuff to summon.  Mind you, I am completely underwhelmed with Nurgle summoning as an overt way to affect the board or interact with your opponent.  With that being said I think Nurgle summoning is all about coming at people sideways.  

Nurgle is unique in that we can summon within 12 of a hero or tree, and we can summon trees.

For example, an opponent is blocking an objective with stuff you aren’t going to get through.  By turn 4 you should have enough points to drop a tree or two, extending your summoning range by 24 inches with enough left over for a squad or two of whatever will work best (typically I find the humble 10 man Plaguebearer squad the best option).  That charge phase gives you two or three chances to grab a long charge onto whatever is holding his objective for an 11th hour swing on points.

In my opinion that is the best Nurgle summoning can be.  No one is going to sweat 3 Drones, 20 Plaguebearers or even a GUO(especially) on turn 4 or 5.

Archived