Nighthaunt Army List

Nuradin

The Vault of Souls is only 40 pts... reading its description I found It was a safe way to assign MW to ennemies while not potentially giving it the possibility to heal as with the sandglass.

Seeing the pricing of the new Black Coach I was waiting for and the state of my current collection... I might swap some things around. I'll try to focus my next few games on something like this, with still the same concept :

---

2000 pts

Allegiance : Nighthaunt

Lady Olynder (240)
-Soul Cage
Knight of Shrouds on Ethereal Steed (140)
Spirit Torment (120)
-Pendant of Fell Winds

6 Spirit Hosts (240)
10 Hexwraiths (320)

Chainguard (120)

Guardian of Souls with Nightmare Lantern (140)
-Beacon of Nagashizzar
-Shademist
Chainrasp Horde 2x10 Chainrasps (160)
Chainrasp Horde 2x10 Chainrasps (160)

Endless Spell : Mortalis Terminexus (60)
---

The concept is this:
Anvil : Chainguard, Knigth of Shrounds on Ethereal Steed
Hammer : Olynder, Spirit Torment, Spirit Hosts, Mourngul
Distraction, objective cappers or ranged unit wreckers : hexwraiths

I'd like to find a way in there to put a Midnight Tome on the Knight with Shademist on it to let the Guardian do his job (and replace his own Shademist with something like Spectral Tether).

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Really want to run the Craven King just cuz I dig his look and feel. I'm a novice to list building. What do you think?

Allegiance: Nighthaunt

Leaders
Kurdoss Valentian, the Craven King (220)
Guardian of Souls with Nightmare Lantern (140)
- Lore of the Underworlds: Shademist
- Infernal Lantern (Artefact): Beacon of Nagashizzar
Spirit Torment (120)
Knight of Shrouds on Ethereal Steed (140)
- General
- Trait: Ruler of the Spirit Hosts 
- Artefact: Midnight Tome 

Battleline
20 x Chainrasp Horde (160)

Units
10 x Bladegheist Revenants (180)
2 x Chainghasts (80)

Battalions
Shroudguard (110)

Total: 1490 / 1500
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 200
Wounds: 87

7 hours ago, Nighthaunt Noob said:

Really want to run the Craven King just cuz I dig his look and feel. I'm a novice to list building. What do you think?

Allegiance: Nighthaunt

Leaders
Kurdoss Valentian, the Craven King (220)
Guardian of Souls with Nightmare Lantern (140)
- Lore of the Underworlds: Shademist
- Infernal Lantern (Artefact): Beacon of Nagashizzar
Spirit Torment (120)
Knight of Shrouds on Ethereal Steed (140)
- General
- Trait: Ruler of the Spirit Hosts 
- Artefact: Midnight Tome 

Battleline

Units
2 x Chainghasts (80)

Battalions
Shroudguard (110)

Total: 1490 / 1500
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 200
Wounds: 87

Solid list for 1500. Only concern would be that your blocks of 10 revenants might die a little easily if there are only 10, but I don't know if that's actually true. I like to have grimghasts in my NH lists as a separate threat to the bladegheists, but hard at 1500. Overall again though - looks good. Love the Craven King

8 hours ago, Tokyo Nift said:

Solid list for 1500. Only concern would be that your blocks of 10 revenants might die a little easily if there are only 10, but I don't know if that's actually true. I like to have grimghasts in my NH lists as a separate threat to the bladegheists, but hard at 1500. Overall again though - looks good. Love the Craven King

Not a ton of potential for healing but the KoS has Ruler of the Spirit hosts. Also considering placing either the caster or the Spirit Torment near them to try to provide some healing. Hard to balance between supporting them and supporting the Chaingasts.

Ok, my current draft list as follows;

Leaders

Lady Olynder - Spectral Tether (240)

Reikenor the Grimhailer - Soul Cage (180)

Guardian of Souls - Shade Mist (140)

Mounted Knight of Shrouds - Midnight Tome, Reaping Scythe (140)

Spirit Torment (120)

Battleline

40 Chainrasps (280)

30 Grimghast Reapers (360)

10 Chainrasps (80)

Units

12 Myrmourn Banshees (210)

10 Bladegheist Revenants (180)

Endless Spells

Chronomatic Cogs (60)

Total - 1990

So, the thinking behind the lists as follows... I know it is very character heavy but I do feel that each one adds something and builds in a bit of redundancy to the list. I see Olynder, Guardian of Souls and the Spirit Torment sitting with the 2 big battleline blocks generally buffing them and backing each other up with their spells and innate abilities. The Knight of Shrouds and Reikenor are a bit more fluid and can lend their finesse and additional punch as necessary. Reikenor is great for getting a reliable Chronomatic Cogs into the right position and the Knight of Shrouds can turn the Myrmourn's into absolute monsters, especially if they've managed to unbind a spell.  Olynder herself will almost certainly get targeted but with Spectral Tether and the proximity of the Spirit Torment with a bit of luck she can survive long enough to mortal wound a key model/unit into oblivion.

The battleline is self explanatory with the Chainrasps being a very tough to shift objective holder that can grind the right target off with the right character support, the Reapers kick out some serious damage and have lots of bodies to boot so act as the mainline unit, the 10 Chainrasps can act as a blocker or an objective grabber as needed. The Bladegheists are a great assassination unit, with Cogs in effect they could launch into the back line hunting out key enemy support pieces. The Myrmourns are there to deal with monsters and high armour save units.

Would be interested in people's thoughts on the list. As with just about every list I do feel like I'm a unit or 2 short but that's the offshoot of being so character heavy I guess. I suppose the biggest at risk characters for the list are the Spirit Torment and the KoS (Olynder is non-negotiable on account of the model) but I do feel these offer a lot to the list. If I dropped the KoS then the Myrmourns would be much less of a threat and the Spirit Torment offers good versatility in keeping Olynder alive, buffing the Chainrasp horde as well as offering decent damage output himself.

So below is my list plan. I have all the models now except for the coach which is on order. 

I'm guna convert a vamp lord on a KoS horse from the SW box and paint him ethereal like and say hes is the spirit of the vamp in the back of the coach bound to Lady O's will.

I'm also thinking of dropping both the chainrasps down to 20 and spending that extr 160 on 8 myrnmourn banshees.

Thoughts?

Screenshot_20180729-230226_WH AoS.jpg

Screenshot_20180729-230302_WH AoS.jpg

Has anyone had any experience with Lady O in smaller games of 1000 points, this was my initial list but think it's too top heavy.

Lady O 240

GoS 140

Spirit Tourment 120

30 Chainrasps 240

20 Grimghast 280

1020 total

Dropping the spirit torment gives me 4 banshees who are cool models and can pop up as my objective grabbers and a handy extra unit. But maybe this is still short of models? Would I be better off looking at Reikenor to be able to field a larger third unit? 

So just after advice on an effective 1000 point list.

Hello Everyone,

I would like to share with  you my Nighthaunt list.  I've thought about it with a friend.

Don't hesitate to share your opinion on this list.

I like :

- I like the pressure made on  5 Wounds Heroes & Anvil units thanks to 2 x 4 Chainghast (1 Unit 4D3 attacks  15 Range  4/3  -2 Rend  1 Damage )

- I like the spell chronomantic Cogs with Reiknor ( Deploy your units at 9 inchies a 7 charge roll  to be in close combat)

-  I love Myrmourn Banshee ( Unbind oppennent spells  and your cogs to gain a large number of attacks with rend - 2)

- I like 10 chainrasp to create a block line and suicide them to earn some time 

I dislike :

- Unit of 20 chainrasp I am afraid to loose more than 10 of them on a battle and loose their ability to re-roll wound rolls of 1

Leaders (x 4)

Reiknor the Grimhailer (180) (Spell  Soul Cage)

Vampire Lord (140)

Guardian of Souls (140) ( Artifact Beacon of Nagashizar) ( Spell - Shademist)

Spirit Torment (120) General ( Command Trait - Ruler of Spirit Host) ( Artifact :Pendant of the fell wind)

Units (x7)

Chainrasp x20 (160) First Battleline 

Chainrasp x20 (160) Second Battleline 

Chainrasp x 10 (80) Third Battleline  Block the charging line -> Suicide Squad 

Chainghast x4 (160) Heavy Rend / Missile Weapons/ Heavy number attacks close combat ->  Hammer vs 5W heroes and Hammer vs anvil units

Chainghast x 4 (160) -> Heavy Rend / Missile Weapons/ Heavy number attacks close combat ->  Hammer vs 5W heroes and Hammer vs anvil units

Myrmoun Banshee x12 (210) -> Heavy Rend/ Unbind Abilities -> Hammer/ Skirmisher unit

Bladegheist x 10 (180) -> A large number attack/-> Hammer

Battalions (x1)

The Condemned (150)

Endless spells (x1)

Chronomantic Cogs (60)

Total : 1900

Extra Command Point : 3

• 2 months later...

Ditch Bladegheist and add  Chainrasps (20 is too squishy?), or maybe Reapers? 

+ Leader +

Knight of Shrouds on Ethereal Steed [140pts]

Lady Olynder, Mortarch of Grief [240pts]

Reikenor the Grimhailer [180pts]

Spirit Torment [120pts]

+ Battleline +

Grimghast Reapers [140pts]: 10 Grimghast Reapers

Grimghast Reapers [360pts]: 3x 10 Grimghast Reapers

+ Other +

Bladegheist Revenants [180pts]: 2x 5 Bladegheist Revenants

+ Battalion +

Battalion: Chainguard [580pts]
Chainrasp Horde: 2x 10 Chainrasps
Guardian of Souls with Nightmare Lantern

+ Malign Sorcery +

Endless Spells [60pts]: Chronomatic Cogs

++ Total: [2000pts] ++

• 2 months later...
On 10/4/2018 at 8:09 AM, Heban said:

+ Leader +

Spirit Torment [120pts]

+ Battleline +

+ Other +

+ Battalion +

+ Malign Sorcery +

I like this list.  I'd probably drop the chain guard battalion and use the savings to upgrade the 10x grimghasts to 6x spirit hosts.  I find my guardian tends to go down from ballista fire before the chainwrasps ever get touched.  So unless you are counting on the extra CP and artifact for something, it might not be worth it.

On 10/4/2018 at 8:09 AM, Heban said:

+ Leader +

Spirit Torment [120pts]

+ Battleline +

+ Other +

+ Battalion +

+ Malign Sorcery +

I like this list.  I'd probably drop the chain guard battalion and use the savings to upgrade the 10x grimghasts to 6x spirit hosts.  I find my guardian tends to go down from ballista fire before the chainwrasps ever get touched.  So unless you are counting on the extra CP and artifact for something, it might not be worth it.

Here is my list:

LEADERS

Vampire Lord (140)

- Flying Horror

Lady Olynder, Mortarch of Grief (240)

-General

- Lore of the Underworlds : Spectral Tether

Reikenor the Grimhailer (180)

- Lore of the Underworlds : Lifestealer

Guardian of Souls with Nightmare Lantern (140)

- Lore of the Underworlds : Shademist

- Infernal Lantern (Artefact) : Beacon of Nagashizzar

UNITS:

2 x Morghast Archai (220)

- Spirit Halberds

30 x Grimghast Reapers (360)

10 x Bladegheist Revenants (180)

6 x Spirit Hosts (240)

40 x Chainrasp Horde (280)

ENDLESS SPELLS:

Quicksilver Swords (20)

Explanation:

Chainrasps are the anvil and start with the morghasts, vampire lord, Guardian of souls and Olynder on the board.  The Grimghasts, Bladegheists, Spirit Hosts and Reikenor start in the underworld.

Olynder starts on the board to keep the guardian of souls (or herself) alive with spectral tether, and debuff the enemy anvil with grief stricken.  Guardian of souls babysits the chainrasps with spectral lure boosted to 1d6+3 by the artifact.  The vampire lord helps keep the chainrasps topped off and provides a little front line punch.  The chainrasp blob is not a solid block.  But rather has a hole in the middle of it like a smooshed donut.  In the hole are Olynder, the guardian, and the archai.  The archai are in the hole closest to the enemy and use their 2 inch reach to hit the front line over the heads of the chainrasps.  Having olynder and the guardian in the hole protects them from deep strike cog charges (as well as giving them the lookout sir bonus).

I drop Reikenor on isolated targets of opportunity (such as objectives on maps where heroes/wizards do the deed).  The spirit hosts are dropped on high save enemy heroes (usually their rear line on turn one) since most of their damage is mortal wounds.  The bladegheists usually join the spirit hosts in the assault on the enemy rear, attacking the more squishy heroes.  Finally, the grimghasts are usually dropped on a 5+ model filler battleline unit that the enemy thought was safely camping on a rear objective (often with reikenor supporting).  If the enemy has all their forces concentrated in one blob, the grimghasts usually join the assault.

Archived