Nighthaunt Army List

Nuradin

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, KoalaSnok said:

Oops, you're right. Skimmed through that too quickly ^^

That Grimghast battalion isn't bad, and it gives it's buffs to all the units in the battalion, not just the Grimghasts.  If you are like me and have four Cairn Wraiths and don't mind taking them for the fun sometimes it is a useful battalion.  I think we have much better battalions, but the 'something is better' doesn't make something else bad.

The same is true for the Grimghasts, I love the models, so much so that I chopped all the wraiths off my hexwraiths to mount the Grimghasts on my ghost horses for sweet Grimwraith Cavalry.  Maybe Hexghasts... I dunno I didn't think it through.  :D   I also think Grimghasts are good units, especially in large blocks driving right through the enemy battle line where they can reliably get their rerolls.  Likewise their 2" reach really helps them keep their guys in the fight while the front line is pressed up against each other and casualties mount on both sides.  I think they are similar to Chainrasps in army role, but obviously a lot more lethal.

Bladegeists in my opinion are hammer units, intended to hit flanks, hunt heroes, warmachines, support units, and otherwise shove a dagger in your opponent's side by hitting hard, withdrawing, and doing it again with the freedom to change targets if/when you need to.  If you play the Total War series it is known as 'cycle charging'.  Bladegeists -can- form a center line to slug it out in the middle, but unless they are in the Shroud Guard Grimghasts are superior in that role I think.

This is my current list. 5 Dispell (one of which with +2). Nice large horde of chainrasp that can bog people down. 2 killer units in the revenants and reapers. Vampire Lords are based on the fact that we are going to be playing on random realms at Nova based on the mission so having two dudes who basically get an option to cast awesome spells but at the same time provide a +1 attack bubble that you don't have to be entirely inside for a CA as well as generally getting their points back by turn 2 just in their d3*3 each help. Banshee is there because I love the idea of dropping her on the table and screaming at people. 

Allegiance: Nighthaunt

Leaders
Knight of Shrouds on Ethereal Steed (140)
- General
- Trait: Ruler of the Spirit Hosts 
- Artefact: Midnight Tome 
Guardian of Souls with Nightmare Lantern (140)
- Lore of the Underworlds: Lifestealer
Tomb Banshee (80)
Vampire Lord (140)
- Mount: Flying Horror
- Allies
Vampire Lord (140)
- Allies

Battleline
40 x Chainrasp Horde (280)
10 x Chainrasp Horde (80)
30 x Grimghast Reapers (360)

Units
12 x Myrmourn Banshees (210)
4 x Chainghasts (160)
15 x Bladegheist Revenants (270)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 280 / 400
Wounds: 140

Thoughts?

Spoiler
7 hours ago, Hulksmash said:

This is my current list. 5 Dispell (one of which with +2). Nice large horde of chainrasp that can bog people down. 2 killer units in the revenants and reapers. Vampire Lords are based on the fact that we are going to be playing on random realms at Nova based on the mission so having two dudes who basically get an option to cast awesome spells but at the same time provide a +1 attack bubble that you don't have to be entirely inside for a CA as well as generally getting their points back by turn 2 just in their d3*3 each help. Banshee is there because I love the idea of dropping her on the table and screaming at people. 

Leaders
- General
Tomb Banshee (80)
Vampire Lord (140)
- Allies
Vampire Lord (140)
- Allies

Battleline

Units
4 x Chainghasts (160)

Thoughts?

I would probably drop the Tomb Banshee for an additional CP, and spend 20p on Soulsnare Shackles. This gives you more options with the CA from your VL's, and allows them to fly ahead and slow down parts of the enemy force.

8 hours ago, Hulksmash said:

Leaders
- General
Tomb Banshee (80)
Vampire Lord (140)
- Allies
Vampire Lord (140)
- Allies

Battleline

Units
4 x Chainghasts (160)

Thoughts?

Why not drop the 2nd unit of chainrasp and have 2 units of 20 reapers with 40 chainrasp? It's 10pts more but you could drop 5 bladegheists and also get a couple endless spells or a CP. 

And also why life stealer on the Guardian of souls instead of shade mist or soul cage? Just generally curious. I always give mine shade mist and let my bigger more important characters have lifestealer.

Hi everyone these are the two list that I'v been toying around with. I'm relatively new to Sigmar but have been a long time 40K player so i'm not a complete noob ? Just want a bit of feedback on the lists before I start sinking money into some more plastic crack 

The first one's me trying to fit Lady Olynder into a list built around the death riders battalion who will probably hang around the Grimghasts while supporting the rest of the army and screaming her foe's to death. Not to shore what spells to go with or if it's worth using the left over 50pts to make the Knight of Shrouds into Rikenor .

LEADERS

Knight of Shrouds on Ethereal Steed (midnight Tome) (140)

Dreadblade Harrow (100)

Guardian of Souls with Nightmare Lantern (beacon of Nagashizzar) (140)

Lady Olynder, Mortarch of Grief (240)

UNITS

10 x Hexwraiths (320)

10 x Hexwraiths (320)

20 x Grimghast Reapers (280)

BEHEMOTHS

Black Coach (280)

BATTALIONS Deathriders (130)

TOTAL: 1950/2000

EXTRA COMMAND POINTS: 2

WOUNDS: 95

LEADERS: 4/6 BATTLELINES: 3 (3+) BEHEMOTHS: 1/4 ARTILLERY: 0/4 ARTEFACTS: 0/2 ALLIES: 0/400

The second List is essentialy the same just with Reikenor replacing the Lady, and the Grimghasts bumped up to a 30 man squad, which alleviates the problem the first list might have which is too few bodies on the table to relay help secure objectives. 

LEADERS

Knight of Shrouds on Ethereal Steed(midnight Tome and Ruler of the Spirit Hosts) (140)

Reikenor the Grimhailer (180)

Dreadblade Harrow (100)

Guardian of Souls with Nightmare Lantern (beacon of Nagahizzar)(140)

UNITS

10 x Hexwraiths (320)

10 x Hexwraiths (320)

30 x Grimghast Reapers (360)

BEHEMOTHS

Black Coach (280)

BATTALIONS

Deathriders (130)

TOTAL: 1970/2000

EXTRA COMMAND POINTS: 1

WOUNDS: 105

LEADERS: 4/6 BATTLELINES: 3 (3+) BEHEMOTHS: 1/4 ARTILLERY: 0/4 ARTEFACTS: 0/2 ALLIES: 0/400

4 hours ago, Ekrund Oath Splitters said:

Why not drop the 2nd unit of chainrasp and have 2 units of 20 reapers with 40 chainrasp? It's 10pts more but you could drop 5 bladegheists and also get a couple endless spells or a CP. 

Its 120pts more, not 10. They get a discount at 30.

4 hours ago, Ekrund Oath Splitters said:

And also why life stealer on the Guardian of souls instead of shade mist or soul cage? Just generally curious. I always give mine shade mist and let my bigger more important characters have lifestealer.

Lifestealer is there because the cage goes on the general since he's got the book that gives him a spell. And Koalasnok explained the rasp/reaper thing except it's a 120 difference from where I'm currently at and not over 200. 

The two lists I'm toying with to start with.

892887018_Screenshot_20180713-090808_SamsungInternet.jpg.d777006f04337f5c0459ee4c956e3490.jpg1848523418_Screenshot_20180712-072753_SamsungInternet.jpg.5ea035fdb098414dba370e5647adaac7.jpg

First list is themed round a reaper feel. With moderate healing

One of the guardian of souls will be the one with the hourglass.

Second list is about the spooky ghosts and healing them up with trait and black coach.

Second list likely take midnight tome and pendant as well

1 hour ago, Ekrund Oath Splitters said:

its not 120pts more... his battleline total 280 + 80 + 360 = 720.... the one i suggested is 280 + 240 + 240 = 760

a 40pt increase......... ?

remove 5 bladegheists and you still have 50pts to play with. 

280+280+280. Reapers cost 140 for 10. 360 for 30 is the discounted price for a max unit.

Good evening gents,

Thinking of building towards this Riders list:

Reikenor the Grimhailer (180)
- Lore of the Underworlds: Soul Cage
Dreadblade Harrow (100)
- General
- Trait: Ruler of the Spirit Hosts
Spirit Torment (120)
Knight of Shrouds (120)
- Artefact: Pendant of the Fell Wind
Guardian of Souls with Nightmare Lantern (140)
- Lore of the Underworlds: Shademist
- Infernal Lantern (Artefact): Wychlight Lantern
10 x Hexwraiths (320)
10 x Hexwraiths (320)
40 x Chainrasp Horde (280)
Black Coach (280)
Deathriders (130)

Total: 1990 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 119

Hopefully start with reik, harrow, and the wraiths off the board to try for the 9" charge when they pop up. 3 other heroes hug the chainrasps which will be pretty buffed and moving quickly thanks to the pendant. Coach does coach things.

This is the 1k I'm going to be trying for now. Tryin to be more elite.

1x Knight of Shrouds on Ethereal Steed -140
Ruler of the Spirit Hosts
Shadow's Edge

1x Lady Olynder -240
Lifestealer
1x Lord Executioner -80

3x Spirit Hosts (Battleline) -120
3x Spirit Hosts (Battleline) -120

1x Mourngul -300

As you can tell, I'm pretty much going for the "6's deal mortal wounds as much as possible" route.

My current list basically involves me have no an excuse to buy all the models I think look awesome! I think (tentatively) it’s a reasonably good list as well but we’ll let the internet be the judge of that!

Lady Olynda - General

Reikenor the Grimhailer

Deathblade Harrow

Guardian of Souls

Spirit Torment

20 Chainrasps

20 Chainrasps

6 Spirit Hosts

Black Coach

5 Bladegheist Revenants

5 Bladegheist Revenants

2 Changhasts

Chainguard Battalion

I haven’t decided on items or spells yet but the theory behind the list is primarily target saturation. There is the anvil side of the list that is based on healing and numbers (chainrasps, Olynda, GoS, Torment, Chainghasts, Spirit Hosts) and the hammer/annoyance side which is the coach, the Bladegheists, Reikenor and Deathblade Harrow.

It’s a list built more with objective capturing in mind than dishing out pain but I’m worried that there isn’t enough damage output. I think that might be a slight weakness of the faction generally? I’ve seen a lot of lists which favour reapers over chainrasps. Is that a better way to go? What would you recommend for items and spells?

Thanks in advance to anyone who comments.

2 hours ago, WAAAGHdogg15 said:

My current list basically involves me have no an excuse to buy all the models I think look awesome! I think (tentatively) it’s a reasonably good list as well but we’ll let the internet be the judge of that!

Lady Olynda - General

Reikenor the Grimhailer

Deathblade Harrow

Guardian of Souls

Spirit Torment

20 Chainrasps

20 Chainrasps

6 Spirit Hosts

Black Coach

5 Bladegheist Revenants

5 Bladegheist Revenants

2 Changhasts

Chainguard Battalion

I haven’t decided on items or spells yet but the theory behind the list is primarily target saturation. There is the anvil side of the list that is based on healing and numbers (chainrasps, Olynda, GoS, Torment, Chainghasts, Spirit Hosts) and the hammer/annoyance side which is the coach, the Bladegheists, Reikenor and Deathblade Harrow.

It’s a list built more with objective capturing in mind than dishing out pain but I’m worried that there isn’t enough damage output. I think that might be a slight weakness of the faction generally? I’ve seen a lot of lists which favour reapers over chainrasps. Is that a better way to go? What would you recommend for items and spells?

Thanks in advance to anyone who comments.

5 Bladegheists per unit is waaay to low. That's only 5 wounds, which will be easily whiped off the table quickly. 10 is according to me minimum for such a unit, and even then they are fragile without ressurects.

Shademist and Soulcage are both very good spells for any nighthaunt list and are without a doubt the ones I will be using. Pendant is a nice artifact to add more movement to an already quick army. 
And for command trait I think ruler of the spirit host (think that's what it's called) is the one to pick. That will give you more ressurects and add some longevity.

So would one unit of 10 Bladegheists be better? I’m thinking they would run as close as they can to the black coach which can return models to their unit. They also work in tandem with the Spirit Torment and Chainghasts which buff them too.

The reason it was 2 x 5 was the target saturation theory. I’ve been playing Pestilens for about a year and I really like the mentality of not caring when stuff dies because if it’s being targeted something else isn’t being. The Bladegheists are really just a distraction to give the black coach more freedom. I can definitely see that a unit of 10 might do this better than 2 x 5 though.

51 minutes ago, WAAAGHdogg15 said:

So would one unit of 10 Bladegheists be better? I’m thinking they would run as close as they can to the black coach which can return models to their unit. They also work in tandem with the Spirit Torment and Chainghasts which buff them too.

The reason it was 2 x 5 was the target saturation theory. I’ve been playing Pestilens for about a year and I really like the mentality of not caring when stuff dies because if it’s being targeted something else isn’t being. The Bladegheists are really just a distraction to give the black coach more freedom. I can definitely see that a unit of 10 might do this better than 2 x 5 though.

I would definately go with 10 instead of 2*5. With 5, any good player would just target them down one unit at a time and then not having to worry about them. With 10 they need to make a choice, do I spend all I can to take them all down or do I risk just taking some of them down and then the opponent resses them back to full strength again! 2*5 is, for me, an easier decision than 1*10.
I prefer them in 2*10 with Shroudguard battalion, but with your army list that would be impossible. 
I also like the black coach in this list (without knowing if it would actually work), basically jsut because it's such a cool unit that does such awesome things! The ressing from the black coach, however, works so much better with multi wound units. That doesn't say it will be effect to keep your bladegheists alive, and those bladegheists along with a high level black coach will be able to threat a big part of the board every turn with their retreat and charge abilities.
Have the spirit hosts run along them and let the ressing commence :P

(but again, I dont know much about strategy.. I play what I think looks fun, not what is necessarily the best)

38 minutes ago, Nuradin said:

(but again, I dont know much about strategy.. I play what I think looks fun, not what is necessarily the best)

A man after my own heart! As I said at the start of my post, I just think this army will be a cool collection of models and fun to play with. I don’t expect to win many (any) games with it, but that’s kind of my approach to AoS generally. It’s about the stories, the craic and the jovial interaction with whoever’s on the other side of the table. I think this list will achieve that but thanks for the advice on the revenants, it totally makes sense.

That's true. But I think that our nighthaunt have potentially both, superb miniatures and efficiency. The problem is to choose an army, because as it is, AoS is not a game where you can make many small units of different miniatures and get an killer result.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all! A first take at what I aim as a Nighthaunt force. The concept is to take advantage of recursion by providing a solid number of spirit hosts and chainrasp while dishing out substantial mortal wounds with spirit hosts, Olynder, Black Coach and Mourngul.

Thanks!

Lady Olynder (240)
Spirit Torment (120)

6x Spirit Host(240)

3x Spirit Host(120)

4x Myrnmourn Banshee(80)

Black Coach (280)
Mourngul (300)

Chainguard (100)

20x Chainrasp Horde (160)

Endless spell : Vault of Souls

7 hours ago, Mataar said:

Lady Olynder (240)
Spirit Torment (120)

6x Spirit Host(240)

3x Spirit Host(120)

4x Myrnmourn Banshee(80)

Black Coach (280)
Mourngul (300)

Chainguard (100)

Endless spell : Vault of Souls

I like it! Plenty of bodies which I’ve not found easy to get into 2000 points. You should have a nice balance of attrition and power there. My only thought is that it’s a little bit light on characters but, actually, the ones you’ve got do most of what you need characters to do in a Nighthaunt army.  How many points is the Vault of Souls? I think there are potentially better endless spells to go at (unless you were just trying to theme it). If you did decide to tweak the list I’d start by considering the spell and the banshees then the mourngul for bigger changes. He’s still scary but not the one ghost wrecking ball that he used to be!

Reiknor - 180

Mounted Knight of Shrouds - 140

Guardian of Souls, relic lantern - 140

Black Coach - 280

Black Coach - 280

30 ghasts - 360

10 chainrasps - 80

30 ghasts - 360

Cogs - 60

Geminids - 40

Thinking about swapping the ghasts for 40 rasps and adding in a dread blade harrows unit

My final list (hopefully)

2000 Lady Olynder, Mortarch of Grief's NightHaunt

1 Command points
9 drops

Battalions/Endless Spells
Chainguard 120

Chronomantic Cogs 60

Heros
Lady Olynder, Mortarch of Grief 240
(Life Stealer/Spectral Summons)

Kurdoss Valentian, the Craven King 220

Guardian of Souls 140