Stormcast Stormhosts

Erdemo86

Hey Guys, which Stormhost is your Favorite and why, i try to make a summary from videos i‘ve seen.

All Ranges are wholly within. If i did something wrong please tell me, so I can edit it.

Celestial Vindicators:

Command Ability: 9“ of Hero or 18“ of your General. Give a unit +1 Attack in the Combat Phase.

Ability: Reroll 1 to hit if charged.

Battle Trait: unmodiefied 6 gives +1 dmg

Artefact: +2 Attack and -1 save if used

Anvils of the Heldenhammer

Command Ability: 9“ of Hero or 18“ of General a unit can attack with all melee or missile weapons during Hero Phase

Ability: Reroll failed Battleshock Tests

Battle Trait: 6“ Bubble -1 to Bravery for Enemy Units

Artefact: if someone wounded by this weapon, on 3+ gets 1 MW

Hammers of Sigmar:

Command Ability: if a Redeemer unit dies on 5+ it comes back. Set it up like scions.

Ability: +1 Bravery

Battle Trait:9“ bubble 6+ Ward Save

Artefact: unmodiefied 6s give +1 dmg

Hallowed Knights:

Command Ability: 9“ Of Hero or 18“ of General give a unit +1 Charge and +1 Run

Ability: on 6+ a unit ignores the enemy Spell or Endless Spell

Battle Trait: if you die on a 2+ you can attack again and then remove your Hero

Artefact: ?????????

Knight Exelsiors

Command Ability: 9“ of Hero or 18“ of General give a unit reroll wound rolls of 1. In Combat.

Ability: Reroll hit rolls of 1.In Combat.

Battle Trait: One Time in Game you can Blind a unit 3“ away ???

Artefact:+1 Dmg

Celestial Warbringers:

Command Ability: 9“ of Hero or 18 „ of General gives a Wizard +1 to Cast.

Ability: Before starting the Game you can set up d3 units again. Like Scions 9“ away from enemy.

Battle Trait: once per turn you can Reroll a hit,a wound or a Save Roll.

Artefact: End of Combat Phase choose enemy unit in 3“, roll a D6. On 3+ inflict 1MW. Roll again on 4+ another MW.

Tempest Lords:

Command Ability: 8“ of Hero or 18“ of General gives a unit reroll 1s to wound melee and missile.

Ability: Start of Hero Phase Roll a dice on 4 + get a CP

Battle Trait: +1 to wound if you are in 6“ from another Tempest Lord Unit

Artefact: Each time you spend a CP on 5+ you get a Cp. 

Astral Templars

Abilityadd 1 to hit rolls if target is a MONSTER;

Command Ability: At Combat Phase, pick and Astral Templar wholly within 9" of a friendly hero or 18" from General and add 1 to wound rolls   if target is a HERO;

Command Trait : after set up but before battle, AT units wholly within 12" from general can move 6";

Artefact : - 1 to wound rolls of attacking MONSTERS against bearer;

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is also the Astral Templars, my choice. According to the Guerrilla Miniature review The Astral Templars are the Monster and Hero hunters of all hosts. They have:

Ability BEAST STALKERS: add 1 to hit rolls if target is MONSTER;

Command Ability CUT OFF THE HEAD: At Combat Phase, pick and Astral Templar wholly within 9" of a friendly hero or 18" from General and add 1 to wound rolls   if target is a HERO;

Command Trait DAUNTELESS HUNTERS (my favorite): after set up but before battle, AT units wholly within 12" from general can move 6";

Artefact GODBEAST PLATE: - 1 to wound rolls of attacking MONSTERS against bearer;

That said, I'm just a casual player, focusing more on converting and painting. On and off I play with friends and I really wanted to build an army based on this kind of battalion. I'm LOVING this because I started studying the IRONJAWZ style of play to mimic with my Astral Templars (because all of the fluff I'm building around my army). I mean, this is perfect for what I plan. Fulminators advancing first, Protectors descending from Azyr to kill monsters with the new Scions of the Storm or even a unit of Liberators with Lay Low the Tyrant following a hero to kill the enemy's General. Good times for the Astral Templars!!!

Celestial Warbringers seems to be the best choice from first look. But Vindicators looks good too.

Tempest Lords look interesting but we dont have good Command Abilitys to use the effect enough i think. But you could spam that reroll 1s to wound on your missile units.

I roll sixes whenever it counts, so I'm happy with Hammers of Sigmar getting a +1 damage on a six.  I'm painting my stuff as Hammers of Sigmar, so the rules could really be anything and I'd still use them no matter what.

Knights Excelsior sounds meh, nothing like the old battalion (it incentivated heavy infantry armies with armor rerolls) and clearly worse than Tempest Lords. 

What a disappointment. Well, I guess liking their background doesn't force me to use their rules.

For once I didn't really look at others than what I've got. I  have substantial force painted as Anvils of Heldenhammer and I absolutely love their ability. I'm farily certain ts going to be errataed so that you cant use the extra attack on the same unit more than once. But even with that in mind, double shooting from 10 judicators, a Celestant Prime(!) or a double pile in from palladins, big blob of sequitors or a star drake in combat just seems sooo good. Now I just need to figure out which battalion is worth taking in the new edition. Had built towards hammerstrike/vanguard wing, but those both seem nerfed to the ground.

22 minutes ago, jazzy128 said:

For once I didn't really look at others than what I've got. I  have substantial force painted as Anvils of Heldenhammer and I absolutely love their ability. I'm farily certain ts going to be errataed so that you cant use the extra attack on the same unit more than once. But even with that in mind, double shooting from 10 judicators, a Celestant Prime(!) or a double pile in from palladins, big blob of sequitors or a star drake in combat just seems sooo good. Now I just need to figure out which battalion is worth taking in the new edition. Had built towards hammerstrike/vanguard wing, but those both seem nerfed to the ground.

Yes the Command Ability is very nice. But the Artefact,trait and ability look very bad.

You could also go for Vindicators and give +1 Atk and rerolls 1 on charge. Drakesworn Templar with that +2 Attacks seems not bad.

if we would have a nice Command Ability that Tempest Lords would be amazing. 

I think the top picks which Stand out are: Vindicators, Anvils, Warbringers and Tempest Lords.

Other Hosts look meh..

18 minutes ago, Erdemo86 said:

Yes the Command Ability is very nice. But the Artefact,trait and ability look very bad.

You could also go for Vindicators and give +1 Atk and rerolls 1 on charge. Drakesworn Templar with that +2 Attacks seems not bad.

if we would have a nice Command Ability that Tempest Lords would be amazing. 

I think the top picks which Stand out are: Vindicators, Anvils, Warbringers and Tempest Lords.

Other Hosts look meh..

I think GW did a pretty good job making sure there wasn't a single storm host with top notch CA, allegiance ability, command trait and artifact.  

I agree with your assessment.  Although I think a liberator based hammers of sigmar list could be fun, if a bit random.

Warbringers could be an incredibly powerful alphastrike.  Or a way to throw a huge block of Sequitors in front of your opponent to prevent them from summoning or claiming any forward objectives.

14 minutes ago, Richelieu said:

I think GW did a pretty good job making sure there wasn't a single storm host with top notch CA, allegiance ability, command trait and artifact.  

I agree with your assessment.  Although I think a liberator based hammers of sigmar list could be fun, if a bit random.

Warbringers could be an incredibly powerful alphastrike.  Or a way to throw a huge block of Sequitors in front of your opponent to prevent them from summoning or claiming any forward objectives.

Yes but you could also use Scions of the Storm now. But the +1 to Cast is very good for your Chronomatic Coggs. Combined with a Stardrake you could cast Coggs on 5+, out of bann range and start Alpha Striking.

But i think that stacking Command points with Tempest Lords to reroll your charges or get reroll 1s to wound could be very good too, for Alpha Striking. Dont we have any Heroes with good Command Abilitys?☹️

Or going All In with Vindicators. Alpha Striking with +1 Attack on 4 Fulminators and rerolling 1s to hit.

27 minutes ago, stato said:

Hammers of Sigmar;  Redeemer unit comes back?  is that still just liberator or have other units been given that keyword?

I believe Sequitors has the same REDEEMER keyword.

1 hour ago, DanielFM said:

Knights Excelsior sounds meh, nothing like the old battalion (it incentivated heavy infantry armies with armor rerolls) and clearly worse than Tempest Lords. 

What a disappointment. Well, I guess liking their background doesn't force me to use their rules.

disapointed how they change the flavor of the knight excelsior, but while their command ability is the worse version of the tempest lords, reroll 1 to hit for EVERYONE in melee is quite insane for an army with lot of 2+/3+ to hit. It encourage to take lot of melee units instead of missile, so the lack of reroll 1 to wound in ranged is not as problematic

So far my opinion of the Stormhosts are:

Artefacts: Tempest Lords' is solid, the rest are really, really terrible.

Command Traits: Anvils, Hallowed, Warbringers, and Excelsiors are really bad; Hammers', Vindicators', and Tempest' are good, Astrals' is great.

Stormhost Ability: Hammers', Anvils' and Templars' are really bad; Celestial Vindicators is okay but it's just a blatantly worse version of the Excelsiors trait, which is in itself, only okay. Tempest Lords and Hallowed knights are solid, though Hallowed Knights is too unreliable to really be worth building around. Warbringers is very good.

Command Abilities: These are why you would want to take a specific stormhost as far as I can tell. Assuming you can only use each ability on a unit once per turn than in my opinion the ranking is:

1. Anvils 2. Vindicators 3. Hallowed 4. Tempest 5. Excelsior 6. Hammers(the hammer's of sigmar CA SEEMS cool but spending a CP for a 5+ change at MAYBE bringing a unit back isn't particularly reliable.) The other two are very poor.

If they DON'T FAQ the abilities to only work once per unit than obviously Anvils and Vindicators become MASSIVELY better than the other ones. Vindicators left to its own devices will make per-nerf Vanguard Wing look like nothing special and Anvils will do what Aetherstrike used to, only a hundred times better.

6 hours ago, ledha said:

disapointed how they change the flavor of the knight excelsior, but while their command ability is the worse version of the tempest lords, reroll 1 to hit for EVERYONE in melee is quite insane for an army with lot of 2+/3+ to hit. It encourage to take lot of melee units instead of missile, so the lack of reroll 1 to wound in ranged is not as problematic

I guess if you build a pure melee army to get advantage of the rr1's in CC then as you said, the command ability is not worse. But such a one-dimensional, boring army doesn't suit me at all. And it has very little to do with what Knights Excelsior used to be.

Foot-slogging Paladins needed The Chain Unbroken and bennefited from the heal after killing a unit. Now this playstyle has no support.

Good for my wallet, now I can let that army go from my memories (I had one before the KS battalion price hike) and focus on the new cool guy Evocators.

8 hours ago, Kako said:

I believe Sequitors has the same REDEEMER keyword.

In the new Battletome?  They dont (yet) on the app but i dont think they will.  The is an ability where sequitors or redeemers (libs only currently) can be picked to be buffed, maybe thats what you are thinking of?  Really i was just wondering if Redeemer chamber was going to get anything new, currently its just liberators (and Steelhearts band - also Liberators)

Back to Stormhosts, I'm impressed so many people are thinking beyond none-host and taking Staunch defender. Be good to see the different play styles and armies that come out of these new rules.

I'm really torn if I want to paint my Sancrosanct up as Warbringers. They were my 2nd choice before I built up 2k points of Hammers. I'm torn becuse the ability to relocate d3 units on top of the potential of +1 to cast is great. However I've been doing the whole Hammerhal Aqshy army and Aventis being a Hammer of Sigmar and the Magister of Hammerhal I think ill probably end up sticking with them. Even though most games I probably won't play using those rules. +1 bravery is awesome but Id rather have a better command trait and relic. The ability to get a redeemer unit back is always wasted as I don't intend to run Liberators. 

So, with a classic "old school" AoS 1 SCE Army, like a stardrake + 4 fulminators+ judi+Hero+few other things, what is the consensus now?

lets say:

- before buying new plastic

- by buying a little plastic

(and please, avoid the "well redo/reboot/rebuy all :P)

It's very hard to say at the moment, every Warsrcoll seem to change with the new Battletome. You have Youtube reviews covering it but they don't analyse every one of them. By the end of the week you should have more accurate infos.

13 minutes ago, GeneralZero said:

So, with a classic "old school" AoS 1 SCE Army, like a stardrake + 4 fulminators+ judi+Hero+few other things, what is the consensus now?

lets say:

- before buying new plastic

- by buying a little plastic

(and please, avoid the "well redo/reboot/rebuy all :P)

I have the same list, i think i will include 2 ballistas and 2 incantors+ coggs.

tempest lords or Vindicators.

Archived