You could also create your own Free City with its own scheme and background (in your case, in Ghyran) and use one of the existing allegiances to represent it. The only lore restriction now is that you can't use an official scheme and then say it's from another, i.e. paint as Tempest's Eye but say it's from Hallowheart etc. Most players won't care, but it's worth noting. You also have to use a Grand Alliance allegiance to add the free city allegiance on top, instead of a battletome/race specific one.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/10/06/firestorm-matched-play-rules-update/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 7/14/2018 at 11:33 AM, smucreo said:

Do we know if we have to adhere to specific realms if we want to use specific Free Cities? Like having to use the Realm of Fire if you play with Tempest's Eye.

I've emailed the faq team with this exact question (among others), don't expect to see in answered very soon (if at all though).

Current RAW wise @michuand @Arkhanistare absolutely right, though personally I'll be staying fluffy and only ever using Aqshy artefacts in my Tempest's Eye lists! :D 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Arkhanist said:

The only lore restriction now is that you can't use an official scheme and then say it's from another, i.e. paint as Tempest's Eye but say it's from Hallowheart etc. Most players won't care, but it's worth noting.

Do you think this would also apply to the Stormhost that provides the stormcast eternals side of things?  I've been painting my Azyrite mortals in the same scheme as the Hammers of Sigmar and was basically planning on making a Free Cities to represent them, but would it be poor form if my Hammers of Sigmar present using the rules for a free city with a different stormhost's colour scheme?  Or do you think this is more about the other units in the army?  

I'm less asking about what other player's care about and more about getting it right for myself.  Though I wonder how many people outside of this thread would even know which Stormhost is involved with each Free City.

I think my Free City will be founded by settlers from Azyrheim who decided to build around a Stormfort of the Hammers of Sigmar in a different realm.  Hysh probably.  Andenzyr?  Andrazyr?  Nyzyr? <-- something like that.

Edited by Nin Win

Hey guys, wanted to make sure that this was legal:

Order Draconis army with Eldritch Council Allies, Allegiance is Order Draconis (but I believe that just makes me Order other than Dragon Blades being Battle Line), Hallowheart Allegience and Aqshy Realm? Legal or does it have to be mixed order?

9 hours ago, Nin Win said:

Do you think this would also apply to the Stormhost that provides the stormcast eternals side of things?  I've been painting my Azyrite mortals in the same scheme as the Hammers of Sigmar and was basically planning on making a Free Cities to represent them, but would it be poor form if my Hammers of Sigmar present using the rules for a free city with a different stormhost's colour scheme?  Or do you think this is more about the other units in the army?  

Not at all. Using the allegiance abilities for one of the Free Cities in Firestorm to represent a custom city of your own design is practically encouraged here, just pick the Free City allegiance that best represents your city. Also post pictures of your army, it sounds awesome. :D 

4 hours ago, Rogue Sun said:

Hey guys, wanted to make sure that this was legal:

Order Draconis army with Eldritch Council Allies, Allegiance is Order Draconis (but I believe that just makes me Order other than Dragon Blades being Battle Line), Hallowheart Allegience and Aqshy Realm? Legal or does it have to be mixed order?

Totally legal, has come up a few times in this thread and I've made a long post explaining it. :) 

3 hours ago, Double Misfire said:

Not at all. Using the allegiance abilities for one of the Free Cities in Firestorm to represent a custom city of your own design is practically encouraged here, just pick the Free City allegiance that best represents your city. Also post pictures of your army, it sounds awesome. :D 

I think the issue was that taking the Hammers of Sigmar scheme and applying it to things with less plate armour means you get an army that looks quite a bit like traditional high elves.  Which is pretty much the scheme from Hallowheart.  It's not exact, but it's definitely in the same direction.  I even started putting more gold on things than I otherwise would.

"The only restriction on painting is that an army that has been specifically painted to represent one Great City cannot use the rules of another – so a force wearing the colours of Hallowheart, for instance, couldn’t use the rules of Anvilgard, and vice versa."

So it's not been specifically painted to represent one Great City.  It just happens that white and blue look like traditional High Elf colours and that happens to also look like Hallowheart.

Here are the miniatures I painted up for an RPG session of Spell Hunters of the Free Cities.  I hadn't yet named my city so I think the next time I run the game for my friends, it'll be Spell Hunters of Andrenzyr.  I don't limit myself just to AoS miniatures, so the Priest and the gryph hound are from Warhammer Quest and the rest of the miniatures are made by Reaper.  Though the Heavens Wizard does have a lightning gauntlet from a dark elf spear arm as the sculpted on hand was terrible.

share6.jpg.c42969de9a402812c0c8f79ee049866a.jpg

Others present are a Bright Wizards, a Shadow Wizard and Jade Wizard.  The Liberator Prime is their muscle along with the War Priest and the faithful gryph hound.

The first unit of soldiers is still on the planning table.  They will be painted a lot like the war priest but with more blue and less white (as i don't hate myself).  I'm having a bit of trouble deciding what to go for.  I've made some prototypes of combing various parts but am not yet happy with anything I've produced and have since disassembled the parts and returned them to the bits box for future use.

I just started organizing a new skirmish campaign and got 12 people to sign up instead of the 4 I was expecting, so need to make terrain so a bunch more tables can at least look like the right realm, so my Andrenzyrite Infantry will languish until August.

Edited by Nin Win
  • Like 3

Here is a Tempest Eye army idea

Freeguild General on Griffon

Drakeseer

Knight-Azyros

Cogsmith

Freeguild Handgunners X10

Prosecutors with Celestial Hammers X 6

Ironbreakers X 10

Cannon

Cannon

Griffons, Drakeseer, Prosecutors fly up and charge enemy. Azyros flys up. Shoot things near it with cannons. Use handgunners and ironbreakers to grab close objectives or defend cannons. Could drop the ironbreakers for another 3 prosectuors and a command point. Currently at 1980 points.

• Like 1

So to be totally clear.

You only must use the Order Battle Traits to use Free Cities, but you can still use an allegiance to gain different Battle Line options and the like.  So I can effectively make an army that is 'Free Peoples' to use the Demigryphs as battle line, and so long as I do not use the Great Companies or battle traits I can use a Free City to supplement my normal Order Traits.

That I understand, but at that point, I am restricted by the Free People allegiance army construction rules and a 400 point limit to Ironweld allies for instance?

Or does the Free City also effect unit selection to the factions listed in the Free City?

I think that’s correct. Note that the only Allies you can take in a Free City Allegiance must be ones you can normally use as part of the city itself. Allies are part of the army, and a Free City army is made up of units with certain Keywords, so they must match up.

eg. in a 2k game, you can have a Greywater Fastness army with the Free Peoples Faction (opening up Battleline Demigryphs & Greatswords) and then take 400 points of allies from the following list: Stormcast Eternals, Ironweld Arsenal, Collegiate Arcane, Wanderers, Dispossessed. Finally, you only get to use the Order Allegiance Abilities (plus the Greywater Fastness bonus).

Also, new allies rules means only 1 in 4 units can be an ally, on top of the 20% of the points in Matched Play.

What city are you looking into? :)

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Caillum said:

I think that’s correct. Note that the only Allies you can take in a Free City Allegiance must be ones you can normally use as part of the city itself. Allies are part of the army, and a Free City army is made up of units with certain Keywords, so they must match up.

eg. in a 2k game, you can have a Greywater Fastness army with the Free Peoples Faction (opening up Battleline Demigryphs & Greatswords) and then take 400 points of allies from the following list: Stormcast Eternals, Ironweld Arsenal, Collegiate Arcane, Wanderers, Dispossessed. Finally, you only get to use the Order Allegiance Abilities (plus the Greywater Fastness bonus).

Also, new allies rules means only 1 in 4 units can be an ally, on top of the 20% of the points in Matched Play.

What city are you looking into? :)

Seems to me the City of Life or Grey Water are the best for a shooty army.  Especially if I use a lot of artillery.  I heard the Lord-Ordinator got nerfed... any thoughts on him?

12 hours ago, Nevar said:

You only must use the Order Battle Traits to use Free Cities, but you can still use an allegiance to gain different Battle Line options and the like.

Technically, in AoS2, you cant do that.  Previously there was a sentence that let you choose to use your grand alliance allegiance after picking your army, that isnt in the rule book now.  Its pick allegiance before you pick your army.  Hopefully this will be corrected in the FAQ due soon (this week?) but if you read the book its clear this is the current situation.  Mean factions without an allegiance have not allegiance abilities if they take thier battleline-if (which is why i think it will be corrected in the FAQ).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Thundercake said:

Here is a Tempest Eye army idea

Drakeseer

Knight-Azyros

Cogsmith

Prosecutors with Celestial Hammers X 6

Ironbreakers X 10

Cannon

Cannon

Griffons, Drakeseer, Prosecutors fly up and charge enemy. Azyros flys up. Shoot things near it with cannons. Use handgunners and ironbreakers to grab close objectives or defend cannons. Could drop the ironbreakers for another 3 prosectuors and a command point. Currently at 1980 points.

Great list! :D

Make sure to give one of the Griffons the Quicksilver Potion (or Doppleganger Cloak if you're going unfluffy and having your force come from outside of Aqshy ;)).

4 hours ago, stato said:

Technically, in AoS2, you cant do that.  Previously there was a sentence that let you choose to use your grand alliance allegiance after picking your army, that isnt in the rule book now.  Its pick allegiance before you pick your army.  Hopefully this will be corrected in the FAQ due soon (this week?) but if you read the book its clear this is the current situation.  Mean factions without an allegiance have not allegiance abilities if they take thier battleline-if (which is why i think it will be corrected in the FAQ).

Good spot!

I think that RAI we can only assume that all armies can choose to use their grand alliance's default allegiance abilities, as it would leave armies like the Phoenix Temple and Devoted of Sigmar without any allegiance abilities of their own in the lurch if you wanted to use their unique battleline, but right now that's a completely accurate RAW. :/ 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Double Misfire said:

I think that RAI we can only assume that all armies can choose to use their grand alliance's default allegiance abilities, as it would leave armies like the Phoenix Temple and Devoted of Sigmar without any allegiance abilities of their own in the lurch if you wanted to use their unique battleline, but right now that's a completely accurate RAW. :/ 

I noticed this the other day using Warscroll Builder. I built my Order Serpentis army as usual, which obviously has battleline-if options, and if you change allegiance to Anvilgard it makes it invalid (highlights red). 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, stato said:

Good for that to be cleared up.

400 points of allies is not enough for the mixed Order I wanted to do anyways so this doesn't change my plans at all.

I looked on my Azyr App and cannot find the Firestorm rules or any reference to the Free Cities.  How does one go about getting the full Free City rules so I can actually read the rules text for Grey Water?

8 minutes ago, Nevar said:

I looked on my Azyr App and cannot find the Firestorm rules or any reference to the Free Cities.  How does one go about getting the full Free City rules so I can actually read the rules text for Grey Water?

Firestorm was a map campaign supplement and it is still available from GW.  Each allegiance is only a page, thats the only place you can get them (legally) though google images sometimes throws up pictures of the pages from review copies.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, syph0n said:

I noticed this the other day using Warscroll Builder. I built my Order Serpentis army as usual, which obviously has battleline-if options, and if you change allegiance to Anvilgard it makes it invalid (highlights red). 

I'd had no idea the Firestorm allegiances were even available on Warscroll Builder (I'm an Azyr man myself). Good spot! :D 

44 minutes ago, stato said:

Firestorm was a map campaign supplement and it is still available from GW.  Each allegiance is only a page, thats the only place you can get them (legally) though google images sometimes throws up pictures of the pages from review copies.

And via a few community site articles, but seriously support Free Cities and buy the Firestorm box, it's awesome.

Figured out my Free City of Andrenzyr infantry.  Cadian 40k legs and torsos, Irondrake arms and guns (likely without the extra shoulder armour) and Hammerer duardin heads.  Imperial Eagles and the like will be scraped off.

I have no idea what rules I will use for them, but I just ordered the heads and arms and I have a bunch of old used guardsmen I traded some terrain for.  Cadians are pretty disproportionate so I might still use them as duardin though they could end up as handgunners.  I'll know when I see the finished product.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Nin Win said:

Figured out my Free City of Andrenzyr infantry.  Cadian 40k legs and torsos, Irondrake arms and guns (likely without the extra shoulder armour) and Hammerer duardin heads.  Imperial Eagles and the like will be scraped off.

I have no idea what rules I will use for them, but I just ordered the heads and arms and I have a bunch of old used guardsmen I traded some terrain for.  Cadians are pretty disproportionate so I might still use them as duardin though they could end up as handgunners.  I'll know when I see the finished product.

Sounds great, can't wait to see the finished results.

Cadians are the same size/height as Freeguild (Empire!) infantry and have nowhere near the proportions of a dwarf model, even the newer taller sculps like Fyreslayers. ?

Personally I'd clip the pockets off the legs and top set of armour plates (the breast shaped ones) and collars off the torsos to make them look less sci-fi/distinctly 40k. Maybe do something with the boots too.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Double Misfire said:

Sounds great, can't wait to see the finished results.

Cadians are the same size/height as Freeguild (Empire!) infantry and have nowhere near the proportions of a dwarf model, even the newer taller sculps like Fyreslayers. ?

Personally I'd clip the pockets off the legs and top set of armour plates (the breast shaped ones) and collars off the torsos to make them look less sci-fi/distinctly 40k. Maybe do something with the boots too.

I'll run them as whatever will be the least confusing for a potential opponent.  I think the huge beards and big arms will make people think dwarf but I'm fine with them being a guild of human mercenaries that mandates beards as part of membership

I'm not sure I'll remove the armour plates.  I'll remove the eagles but might keep all the military pockets and whatnot.  Like the Kharadron Overlords I think there might be something that looks oddly right in the jamming together of fanatasy and sci-fi elements.  Could be in the end I'll remove all this stuff.  Should scrape off easily enough.

I think the biggest part of the job will me making the hammerer heads sit up on top of the cadian bodies properly.  Green stuff and cutting will likely be involved.  The big round hats should be cool though.

Edited by Nin Win
  • Like 1