And now for durability

Everything is expressed points per wound to kill (after saves etc.). Higher numbers are therefore sturdier. Rend -1 would obviously be somewhere in the middle. 

image.png.53967221e6f0c6a8fee42dadc92300a7.png

Some Observations:

Standouts here ironically are the sequitors, and to a lesser extent, liberators. Here, I included the price of the castellant (and buying them as a group of 10) and they still easily blow everything else away. If you want a wall, you want sequitors. A Lord arcanum+Sequitors+Castellant in a hallowheart list seems like a great way to both augment and to hold your bunker. 

Killy infantry are predictably pretty fragile. The standout here being pheonix guard which were quite killy but also the top of the list for sturdiness. Ironbreakers also stand out as quite sturdy while also not doing terribly on the damage side of things as we saw earlier.

It is also trivial to get mystic shield off in some lists, which favors higher saves over lower ones. This would likely favor the longbeards and ironbreakers. Dwarves also have access to the only race-specific durability buff in the runelord 6++. 

Cavalry/Fast Movers

image.png.71b8a32f3fe9910b8c6f814c41088ef6.png

Note that for the most part, these are all more fragile than true tank units like bleakswords or pheonix guard such as above.

Demigryphs are very sturdy, and remembering that they had quite a punch, look relatively strong overall. Only limitation is their base size, which might make it hard to fit more than 3 into a fight. Maybe MSU. 

Interestingly, dark riders do quite well on this front. I'm really wondering if dark riders will find a home. They are gorgeous models. They have middle-of-the road stats across the board, and maybe add some cheap versatility to a list. I also wonder how they would be in an 'alpha bunker' style list. With 1 cp, in the living city, they can easily get up to form a line 3' away from an enemy. Park a phoenix behind them and throw every debuff on them for -1 to hit and -2 to wound. It would take an enemy most of their turn to chew threw, all the while you set up to score objectives, blast them with spells or set up fortresses of boughs.

Has anybody tried this 'alpha bunker' style list with other armies? I think grots can do it pretty well, vomitting 60 right in the enemies face on turn 1.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mmimzie said:

Also dark shards will likely have to move for every shooting they do.

Well they better do, as it's their main advantage over our other shooters. Nearly everything else we have gets some sort of bonus for standing still, while nothing stops darkshards from creeping toward objectives.

Hi all,

Rather silly interactive quiz for anyone who can't decide which CoS allegiance to use that I've been fiddling around with as a means of procrastination today for your leisure.  May bump it up with some more questions down the line. Feedback as always very welcome. :)

https://doublemisfire.blogspot.com/2019/09/cant-decide-which-city-of-sigmar-to.html

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Frowny said:

And now for durability

Everything is expressed points per wound to kill (after saves etc.). Higher numbers are therefore sturdier. Rend -1 would obviously be somewhere in the middle. 

image.png.53967221e6f0c6a8fee42dadc92300a7.png

Some Observations:

Standouts here ironically are the sequitors, and to a lesser extent, liberators. Here, I included the price of the castellant (and buying them as a group of 10) and they still easily blow everything else away. If you want a wall, you want sequitors. A Lord arcanum+Sequitors+Castellant in a hallowheart list seems like a great way to both augment and to hold your bunker. 

Killy infantry are predictably pretty fragile. The standout here being pheonix guard which were quite killy but also the top of the list for sturdiness. Ironbreakers also stand out as quite sturdy while also not doing terribly on the damage side of things as we saw earlier.

It is also trivial to get mystic shield off in some lists, which favors higher saves over lower ones. This would likely favor the longbeards and ironbreakers. Dwarves also have access to the only race-specific durability buff in the runelord 6++. 

Cavalry/Fast Movers

image.png.71b8a32f3fe9910b8c6f814c41088ef6.png

Note that for the most part, these are all more fragile than true tank units like bleakswords or pheonix guard such as above.

Demigryphs are very sturdy, and remembering that they had quite a punch, look relatively strong overall. Only limitation is their base size, which might make it hard to fit more than 3 into a fight. Maybe MSU. 

Interestingly, dark riders do quite well on this front. I'm really wondering if dark riders will find a home. They are gorgeous models. They have middle-of-the road stats across the board, and maybe add some cheap versatility to a list. I also wonder how they would be in an 'alpha bunker' style list. With 1 cp, in the living city, they can easily get up to form a line 3' away from an enemy. Park a phoenix behind them and throw every debuff on them for -1 to hit and -2 to wound. It would take an enemy most of their turn to chew threw, all the while you set up to score objectives, blast them with spells or set up fortresses of boughs.

Has anybody tried this 'alpha bunker' style list with other armies? I think grots can do it pretty well, vomitting 60 right in the enemies face on turn 1.  

I tried it with my order allegiance duardin army when the Lord ordinater dropped.

It was more of a 2 army pincer strategy but depending on my opponents mobility and how much was already in combat, I'd shoot away all his squishy backline.

10 hours ago, Frowny said:

Makes sense to take MSU as well for the sake of hammerhal rules - more banners, more command pts

EDIT: More units w/ at least 1 banner.

Edited by The Merchant Prince

43 minutes ago, The Merchant Prince said:

Makes sense to take MSU as well for the sake of hammerhal rules - more banners, more command pts

I'm unsure on the wording of Hammerhals rules, but large units can have several banners, so  you wouldn't necessarily get more command points from going MSU I think.

2 minutes ago, Mikkl said:

I'm unsure on the wording of Hammerhals rules, but large units can have several banners, so  you wouldn't necessarily get more command points from going MSU I think.

The wording is not based on number of banners but rather number of units with at least one banner. So you can't take for e.g. 40 freeguild guard with 4 banners and be equivalent to 4 x 10 freeguild guard units, each with a banner. The latter has 4x the chance of benefiting.

Just now, The Merchant Prince said:

The wording is not based on number of banners but rather number of units with at least one banner. So you can't take for e.g. 40 freeguild guard with 4 banners and be equivalent to 4 x 10 freeguild guard units, each with a banner. The latter has 4x the chance of benefiting.

I see, thanks for clarifying that for me.

So based on known information, what is the way to go for mostly human non-gunline army? I would love something like multiple demigryph units, freeguild guards and a lot of magic support. Some self-sufficient shooting is possible but mostly for sniping, not carpet bombing.  Is Hammerhal the way to go? 

1 minute ago, Trayanee said:

So based on known information, what is the way to go for mostly human non-gunline army? I would love something like multiple demigryph units, freeguild guards and a lot of magic support. Some self-sufficient shooting is possible but mostly for sniping, not carpet bombing.  Is Hammerhal the way to go? 

Hammerhal works, but Tempest's eye is also quite human central with a lot of pistoleers and outriders (guns, but not a gunline). Hallowheart gives lots of wizards, and will not need the guns ro do a lot of work.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Double Misfire said:

Hi all,

Rather silly interactive quiz for anyone who can't decide which CoS allegiance to use that I've been fiddling around with as a means of procrastination today for your leisure.  May bump it up with some more questions down the line. Feedback as always very welcome. :)

https://doublemisfire.blogspot.com/2019/09/cant-decide-which-city-of-sigmar-to.html

The test did turn out at a city I wanted to make. The fourth choice of cities, but still!

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, CrashQuest said:

Quick question;

Would anyone object to a High Warden being used as an Anointed on Phoenix?

This would be a better question to ask your opponent, or if you're at an event the event organisers.

The issue is the High Warden is still a model in it's own right (squatted but they still exist), so most people would say yeah go for it, but some might say no.

Also the base sizes are different.

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, GM_Monkey said:

This would be a better question to ask your opponent, or if you're at an event the event organisers.

The issue is the High Warden is still a model in it's own right (squatted but they still exist), so most people would say yeah go for it, but some might say no.

Also the base sizes are different.

I have a spare 120mm oval base that I plan to transfer the High Warden to.  Really just looking for ways to proxie my IoB Aelves

• Like 1