Jump to content

Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, Thiagoma said:

Not just the mercenaries. There is an article published a month ago with price ajustments to Order Draconis units. 

This is just  bad for their image.

Well the latter issue can be another example of "The Warhammer Community Site being an glorified fan site", no offense to the lovely people behind the Warhammer Community. But they simply do not have access to the actual inner workings of Games Workshop.

Much like Greenskinz. The Community posted about how awesome the Greenskin Warboss is as a support piece for Ironjawz or Bonespitterz, and then the greenskinz went OOP 1 month later.

 

2 hours ago, SentinelGuy said:

You mean you don't want another boring space marine dreadnought/scout squad/librarian? In all seriousness though, I agree wholeheartedly, getting sick of seeing nothing but marines and stormcast releases for the good guys.

Well it's economics, to gw anyways. It's like complaining to Blizzard why they don't have anything for Starcraft as they make another Hearthstone or Overwatch update.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

OVERVIEW OF THE SEVEN FREE CITIES   Wondering which Free City allegiance is for you? Already have a mixed Order army you want to get the most mileage out of? Decided your army's allegi

The AoS FaceBook page posted a CoS preview a few minutes ago.  This confirms that the cities get unique abilities and atleast one artefact table to chose from. I hope we get the rest today

A Battalion that needs 2-4 Battlemages?! Bwahaha!! My time has come! I always knew painting the eight Wizards of the magical land of Foon would payoff!

Posted Images

I've always been tempted by the sorceress on black dragon and the corsairs, but the uncertainty about aelves  always stopped my purchase.  Depending on if there are warscroll changes and how allegiance abilities go perhaps I will end up getting some.  I already have about 2500 points of Stormcast so Im sure I can make something work.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not a free peoples player, I got the stormcast half of the starter box when I shared it with my son and have built a SCE army, currently around 8,000 points. I toyed with freepeoples but thought the models were meh so haven't bothered. Until now.

The CoS battletome got me really excited and I've been thinking about starting a free city, more on this later. However the down beat attitude coming across at the moment is putting me off a bit. No offense meant, I'm sure if GW cut the stormcast army I have spent two years building, painting and fighting with, building a narrative history that is currently 16,000 words long and increasing, I would be pi**ed off too. But wait for the book to drop and then start complaining, when you know what is happening. I am probably completely naive, I mainly read this website and the community pages and I haven't seen a list of models and battletomes that have been cut with a GW statement to say "You can't use any of these models anymore in AoS so don't bring them to our stores, thank you very much."

Could it be that the list previously posted are the only models you can select for a free cities army? If you want to use cannons, fine but they are allies or you can't use the free cities benefits. Who knows?

Please feel free to vent your ire at GW on me, I have thick skin.

I am still excited for CoS, mainly because I'm hoping for some new models to bring these 16th century Austrian pikemen up to the 21st century, but even so, I have plans to add some freepeoples to my army.

You can please all of the people some of the time and some of the people all of the time, but you can't please all of the people all of the time.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

GW and the fanbase has always been toxic to some extent. It stems from a time when they basically ignored players which led to the detriment of the game. You can see that they are trying to turn it around but they never quite manage to shake off the old image of cash grabs, lying about quality etc.

Me personally, I've been collecting Warhammer for decades. I wasn't happy with AoS to begin with, but I accepted that it was the new thing and just got on board with it. I haven't played at all over the last year as GW have taken ages getting a book out for dwarfs, elves and humans and I have no interest in stormcast or the other new factions. So, you can imagine the awesome feeling of finding out that we were finally getting a book with updates and new abilities. Then they just axe a large number of units, far more than the handful originally mentioned, and with such poor communications as well. I know newer players that have now lost their entire armies because they started playing AoS after the End Times and had no idea that legacy units would eventually be removed. GW should have never continued to sell those models if they were going to end up unsupported. I guess it's feeling like GW are slipping back into their old ways.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Phil D said:

I'm not a free peoples player, I got the stormcast half of the starter box when I shared it with my son and have built a SCE army, currently around 8,000 points. I toyed with freepeoples but thought the models were meh so haven't bothered. Until now.

The CoS battletome got me really excited and I've been thinking about starting a free city, more on this later. However the down beat attitude coming across at the moment is putting me off a bit. No offense meant, I'm sure if GW cut the stormcast army I have spent two years building, painting and fighting with, building a narrative history that is currently 16,000 words long and increasing, I would be pi**ed off too. But wait for the book to drop and then start complaining, when you know what is happening. I am probably completely naive, I mainly read this website and the community pages and I haven't seen a list of models and battletomes that have been cut with a GW statement to say "You can't use any of these models anymore in AoS so don't bring them to our stores, thank you very much."

Could it be that the list previously posted are the only models you can select for a free cities army? If you want to use cannons, fine but they are allies or you can't use the free cities benefits. Who knows?

Please feel free to vent your ire at GW on me, I have thick skin.

I am still excited for CoS, mainly because I'm hoping for some new models to bring these 16th century Austrian pikemen up to the 21st century, but even so, I have plans to add some freepeoples to my army.

You can please all of the people some of the time and some of the people all of the time, but you can't please all of the people all of the time.

Gw has not communicated anything. They just stated that "a handfull" of units would go to Warhammer Legends at the CoS reveal, which means no updated rules, and no longer in matched play come GHB2020, and they drop off all allied lists.

They stated they would provide a full list but didn't. They stated this was a handful and it isn't.

CoS was seen as a glimmer of hope for forgotten armies, but now I dread the new warscrolls, because every sane option for my general seems to go away, and I suspect the militia arms will be gone.

And I got off lightly.

People who were exited for the book to finally get new rules for their army, and now find that army deleted are upset, and I wonder which year my army is going to get wrecked.

As for the models, the two sets in Freeguild that needed to be changed are the crossbowmen and guard (and the two single pose generals, but they could be avoided until saturday), the rest is nice. The archers are more dynamic and better dressed than the crossbowmen, and the general we lost is so much better than the captain we retained.

30 minutes ago, SentinelGuy said:

GW and the fanbase has always been toxic to some extent. It stems from a time when they basically ignored players which led to the detriment of the game. You can see that they are trying to turn it around but they never quite manage to shake off the old image of cash grabs, lying about quality etc.

Me personally, I've been collecting Warhammer for decades. I wasn't happy with AoS to begin with, but I accepted that it was the new thing and just got on board with it. I haven't played at all over the last year as GW have taken ages getting a book out for dwarfs, elves and humans and I have no interest in stormcast or the other new factions. So, you can imagine the awesome feeling of finding out that we were finally getting a book with updates and new abilities. Then they just axe a large number of units, far more than the handful originally mentioned, and with such poor communications as well. I know newer players that have now lost their entire armies because they started playing AoS after the End Times and had no idea that legacy units would eventually be removed. GW should have never continued to sell those models if they were going to end up unsupported. I guess it's feeling like GW are slipping back into their old ways.

When I started, I was wary of GW, but I was convinced they now do communicate with their fans a bit by friends. It seems that was not the right advice.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Like I said I'm very naive about all this, but are Ironweld really being axed? and Aelves? GW always point to Black Library books as a source of lore for the Mortal Realms and I love reading them, as do many people.  Does this mean that most of the Black Library books are now going to be binned as well? I'm reading Spear of Lamentations and one of the main characters is Ironweld. Callis and Tull are a witch hunter and freeguild guardsman, are they now canned because the Witch Hunter model is being pulled? One of their books included an aelf relic hunter and a Dark Corsair (both of whom got their own books as a consequence) and now the books are to be pulped and we have to forget these characters and storylines. BTW one of the books has been announced but not published so I'm waiting for the red faced Phil Kelly to go online and say that he messed up by commissioning a book that was never going to be published. Or are GW so stupid that they will write books and create lore for armies and characters that don't exist in the Mortal Realms?

Personally I think GW need to make an announcement or a release that will clear up all the confusion and set peoples minds at rest one way or the other. I hope they aren't taking the attitude that controversy will drive sales. That will change my opinion completely.

Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Kristensen said:

Have any of you considered that they maybe have pulled some of them for repackage or perhaps some will come in a new sculpt. 

 

They are not repackaged. If that would be the case, the last sentence would not be "They're going fast and they're not coming back" in the email sent after half of the models were already sold out.

If there were new sculpts for these models, it would have made sense to display them at GenCon. The next chance will be at CoS release.

If there are no models at CoS release, they've made clear that that book is just a temporary way to milk more money, but they won't support any of the armies in it long term.

Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Phil D said:

Like I said I'm very naive about all this, but are Ironweld really being axed? and Aelves? GW always point to Black Library books as a source of lore for the Mortal Realms and I love reading them, as do many people.  Does this mean that most of the Black Library books are now going to be binned as well? I'm reading Spear of Lamentations and one of the main characters is Ironweld. Callis and Tull are a witch hunter and freeguild guardsman, are they now canned because the Witch Hunter model is being pulled?

Stuff can appear in novels and the setting without having an immediate tabletop counterpart. I still want to know what an Empire demilancer is.

BLPROCESSED-11-01-HallOfFame6-cover.jpg

 

Quote

One of their books included an aelf relic hunter and a Dark Corsair (both of whom got their own books as a consequence) and now the books are to be pulped and we have to forget these characters and storylines.

Nothing from the Scourge Privateer line has been axed, and Shev Arclis (the treasure hunter) is a perfect example of a character appearing in a BL novel who's never had a direct in-game counterpart.

Black-Library-July31-TheivesParadise9rf-

 

And hey, it's not like GW haven't recently released models of any Black Library characters, so who's to say Calis, Toll and friends don't get miniatures and boutique warscrolls somewhere down the line?

99810105031_AMSeverinaRaine01.jpg

Quote

BTW one of the books has been announced but not published so I'm waiting for the red faced Phil Kelly to go online and say that he messed up by commissioning a book that was never going to be published.

I don't think Phil Kelly commissions Black Library novels.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, zilberfrid said:

They are not repackaged. If that would be the case, the last sentence would not be "They're going fast and they're not coming back" in the email sent after half of the models were already sold out.

If there were new sculpts for these models, it would have made sense to display them at GenCon. The next chance will be at CoS release.

If there are no models at CoS release, they've made clear that that book is just a temporary way to milk more money, but they won't support any of the armies in it long term.

Perhaps, we will learn the way of it soon enough. I hope they pulled the free people mounted general to replace him with one on a demigryph. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Kristensen said:

Perhaps, we will learn the way of it soon enough. I hope they pulled the free people mounted general to replace him with one on a demigryph. 

Something like Theodore Bruckner on reaper would be nice. I'm not holding my breath (holding my breath for things that you do not want to measure in minutes is unwise).

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the clarification.

I just thought that if models/units/armies appeared in the lore then they would be hard pressed to remove them from the game. But then again, they are GW's toys and GW's rules so they can do what they want with them. The Darkoath Warqueen has been around for a while and she doesn't have an army to lead.

Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Phil D said:

Thanks for the clarification.

I just thought that if models/units/armies appeared in the lore then they would be hard pressed to remove them from the game. But then again, they are GW's toys and GW's rules so they can do what they want with them. The Darkoath Warqueen has been around for a while and she doesn't have an army to lead.

Lore is just created to sell miniatures. I do not think the lore should be relied on for planning purchases. It's just as easy to write a few pages where all the slaves to darkness kill off all the remaining dark elves after deleting both their lines.

Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, zilberfrid said:

Lore is just created to sell miniatures. I do not think the lore should be relied on for planning purchases. It's just as easy to write a few pages where all the slaves to darkness kill off all the remaining dark elves after deleting both their lines.

Deson't it kind of work both ways though? If lore is created to sell miniatures, one could assume that if something features prominently in lore, they have plans to be selling it? ; )

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, dekay said:

Deson't it kind of work both ways though? If lore is created to sell miniatures, one could assume that if something features prominently in lore, they have plans to be selling it? ; )

One could assume that, but lore is the cheapest way to keep people buying armies they have no plans of supporting. As soon as production capacity is needed, tossing them out is easy.

Even a battletome is cheaper to invalidate than a new mold (and perhaps even stock).

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Double Misfire said:

BLLiveReveals-Jun1-GotrekMini1coiy.jpg

True dat :D 

He‘ll probably be 50€ 😵🤢🤮

I‘ll get him anyway 🤷🏼‍♂️

 

Back to topic:

I am really interested in what GW did with Anvilgard! They were my fav. City before and I hope it‘ll stay that way.

does anybody have a clue when CoS will be up for preorder?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Phil D said:

The CoS battletome got me really excited and I've been thinking about starting a free city, more on this later. However the down beat attitude coming across at the moment is putting me off a bit. No offense meant, I'm sure if GW cut the stormcast army I have spent two years building, painting and fighting with, building a narrative history that is currently 16,000 words long and increasing, I would be pi**ed off too. But wait for the book to drop and then start complaining, when you know what is happening. I am probably completely naive, I mainly read this website and the community pages and I haven't seen a list of models and battletomes that have been cut with a GW statement to say "You can't use any of these models anymore in AoS so don't bring them to our stores, thank you very much."

Could it be that the list previously posted are the only models you can select for a free cities army? If you want to use cannons, fine but they are allies or you can't use the free cities benefits. Who knows?

Please feel free to vent your ire at GW on me, I have thick skin.

I am still excited for CoS, mainly because I'm hoping for some new models to bring these 16th century Austrian pikemen up to the 21st century, but even so, I have plans to add some freepeoples to my army.

Its really quite nice to see this sentiment.  I have a Free Peoples army and all of my Freeguild Generals, Archers (75% of the ranged infantry in my army), War Priests, and Witch Hunter were cut.  However I'm still excited about this book too and fully intend to use these models in future games.


I'm excited to see what new ways there are to play with my toys and to learn which city appeals to me.  I have an idea it may be Hammerhal or The Living City but I want to read the rules and lore first.  I'm interested to see what new models we get too.  There may be a suite of new models or just a terrain piece and Endless Spells but, in either case, I'm fine with it. Especially because I have no idea what kind of terrain or spells they could release that would represent all the Free Cities.  Secretly, I'm hoping for a new Freeguild General model on a demigryph, please.


I don't know if you are a Warhammer veteran or joined after the launch of AoS but this thread's reaction is pretty much par for the course when a new book is released.  Its inflamed this time because they are discontinuing models and people are understandably upset.  Once the book is released this doom-saying attitude will blow over.  Once we have the book, most people will be too excited to play with their toys to worry much about which General model they're using and the rest will sell off their Free Peoples on eBay and move on since they won't really have any other choice at that point beyond screaming into the void.

In the meantime, I really wish people would spend less time complaining at other (mainly) sympathetic people who can do nothing about the problem and more time discussing what makes them excited about this release.  It gets wearisome and drives people away from what should be a place of excitement over this hobby we all enjoy.  Call me cynical but, for the time being, I think  we'll see many more people vigorously defending their right to wallow in anger and resentment rather than trying to be constructive.  However in the name of constructive discussion, I have some questions for us to consider.

- What do we know? 

- What don't we know but want to know? 

- Are you planning any conversions/purchases for the new book? 

- What do you hope for and expect in terms of rules changes, warscroll updates, allegiance abilities, city abilities, spell lores, artifacts?

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm going to most likely go living city in the new book, strip my wanderer models that made the cut and work out from there.

I hope if you have a aelf general then certain aelf units will be made battleline (the darkling coven guys, eternal guard, Phoenix guard, black ark corsairs) so you have abit of flexibility in what you take.

I hope that all racial options  will be available to every city, again, just for the flexibility after the cull.

I hope we don't become a static gunline army, I would like the classic human, aelf and duarden anvil line to work, as well as hit and fade guerilla style warfare as well as some rock hard cav charges. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Kamose said:

Its really quite nice to see this sentiment.  I have a Free Peoples army and all of my Freeguild Generals, Archers (75% of the ranged infantry in my army), War Priests, and Witch Hunter were cut.  However I'm still excited about this book too and fully intend to use these models in future games.

- What do we know? 

- What don't we know but want to know? 

- Are you planning any conversions/purchases for the new book? 

I don't think anybody's going to mind if you use Freeguild Archers as Crossbowmen moving forward, only generals on horses and holding banners look like they've been axed - this guy is still being sold, buy a gryph-hound for each of your Warrior Priests and call them Excelsior Warpriests, and the Witch Hunter model can easily be used as a (very stylish) General.

Quote

- What do we know? 

Everything in this article, which kits are gone, the fact "Steam Tank armies" will be possible, and not a whole lot more.

Quote

- What don't we know but want to know? 

Everything not in the above article. :D 

Quote

- Are you planning any conversions/purchases for the new book? 

Loads. I'm currently building Greatswords and human crew for my existing Organ Guns Helblasters, I've got six old Wood Elf beastmaster bears who are gonna get riders and a quick drybrush to use as Demigrygh Knights, and have plans to convert at least one aelf Assassin to match the look of the rest of my dudes.

Quote

- What do you hope for and expect in terms of rules changes, warscroll updates, allegiance abilities, city abilities, spell lores, artifacts?

I'm hoping for two wound duardin to match the new Fyreslayer warscrolls, and more warscroll options based on the existing kits, like being able to use the engineer from the Steam Tank kit as a hero, both on foot and sticking out of the tank's turret.  I have no idea what to expect, but fused profiles for artillery and crews to match the Celestar Balista's seem like a good bet.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Double Misfire said:

I don't think anybody's going to mind if you use Freeguild Archers as Crossbowmen moving forward, only generals on horses and holding banners look like they've been axed - this guy is still being sold, buy a gryph-hound for each of your Warrior Priests and call them Excelsior Warpriests, and the Witch Hunter model can easily be used as a (very stylish) General.

My thoughts exactly about the Witch Hunter; General with a sweet hat!  I actually had plans to use the Warrior priests as Excelsior Warpriests and the baby griffon from the General kit  (😢) as gryph hounds since they match the size of the silver tower gryph hound. Not sure what I'ma do with my General with his "that's totally metal" dead-angel banner...

1 hour ago, Double Misfire said:

Everything in this article, which kits are gone, the fact "Steam Tank armies" will be possible, and not a whole lot more.

 I'm curious where people are getting the Steam Tank army tidbit from.  I've searched the Warhams Community article and didn't see it.  I just painted a Steam Tank and wanna know how far I can take this thing.

1 hour ago, Double Misfire said:

I've got six old Wood Elf beastmaster bears who are gonna get riders and a quick drybrush to use as Demigrygh Knights, and have plans to convert at least one aelf Assassin to match the look of the rest of my dudes.

Riding a bear.  Always a good decision. Give me my demigryph general and I'll be happy! Also update everyone's Command Abilities to activate in the phase in which they work!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/3/2019 at 10:15 PM, Double Misfire said:

All aelves look the same, so who's to say what's an Ellyrian Reaver and what's a Dark Rider. 🤷‍♂️

 

Shots fired!

On 8/3/2019 at 10:15 PM, Double Misfire said:

My beloved Cannons aren't gonna be firing anymore,

Or not, as the case may be.

  • Haha 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Phil D said:

I'm not a free peoples player, I got the stormcast half of the starter box when I shared it with my son and have built a SCE army, currently around 8,000 points. I toyed with freepeoples but thought the models were meh so haven't bothered. Until now.

The CoS battletome got me really excited and I've been thinking about starting a free city, more on this later. However the down beat attitude coming across at the moment is putting me off a bit. No offense meant, I'm sure if GW cut the stormcast army I have spent two years building, painting and fighting with, building a narrative history that is currently 16,000 words long and increasing, I would be pi**ed off too. But wait for the book to drop and then start complaining, when you know what is happening. I am probably completely naive, I mainly read this website and the community pages and I haven't seen a list of models and battletomes that have been cut with a GW statement to say "You can't use any of these models anymore in AoS so don't bring them to our stores, thank you very much."

I think a lot of people (myself included) have been limping along with armies we love but that get battered on the tabletop, in the hope that they will get a book one day. That isn't really a problem with Stormcast, as they have been doing the ones doing most of the battering (seriously guys, do you have to be good in *every* phase? Give us one phase we can compete in at least.;) )

To learn that is not going to happen, and that they probably won't appear in GHB20, right after hearing there was finally a book released, was a bit galling.

 

9 hours ago, SentinelGuy said:

I know newer players that have now lost their entire armies because they started playing AoS after the End Times and had no idea that legacy units would eventually be removed. GW should have never continued to sell those models if they were going to end up unsupported. I guess it's feeling like GW are slipping back into their old ways.

I know them feels. Had my first game with 2000pts on Wednesday. Friday rolls round and I'm back down to 1090pts, if you take the legacy models out.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Kamose said:

Its really quite nice to see this sentiment.  I have a Free Peoples army and all of my Freeguild Generals, Archers (75% of the ranged infantry in my army), War Priests, and Witch Hunter were cut.  However I'm still excited about this book too and fully intend to use these models in future games.


I'm excited to see what new ways there are to play with my toys and to learn which city appeals to me.  I have an idea it may be Hammerhal or The Living City but I want to read the rules and lore first.  I'm interested to see what new models we get too.  There may be a suite of new models or just a terrain piece and Endless Spells but, in either case, I'm fine with it. Especially because I have no idea what kind of terrain or spells they could release that would represent all the Free Cities.  Secretly, I'm hoping for a new Freeguild General model on a demigryph, please.


I don't know if you are a Warhammer veteran or joined after the launch of AoS but this thread's reaction is pretty much par for the course when a new book is released.  Its inflamed this time because they are discontinuing models and people are understandably upset.  Once the book is released this doom-saying attitude will blow over.  Once we have the book, most people will be too excited to play with their toys to worry much about which General model they're using and the rest will sell off their Free Peoples on eBay and move on since they won't really have any other choice at that point beyond screaming into the void.

In the meantime, I really wish people would spend less time complaining at other (mainly) sympathetic people who can do nothing about the problem and more time discussing what makes them excited about this release.  It gets wearisome and drives people away from what should be a place of excitement over this hobby we all enjoy.  Call me cynical but, for the time being, I think  we'll see many more people vigorously defending their right to wallow in anger and resentment rather than trying to be constructive.  However in the name of constructive discussion, I have some questions for us to consider.

- What do we know? 

- What don't we know but want to know? 

- Are you planning any conversions/purchases for the new book? 

- What do you hope for and expect in terms of rules changes, warscroll updates, allegiance abilities, city abilities, spell lores, artifacts?

Well, the light among the dark is that it needs to support way fewer warscrolls (63 if I count correctly) so it'll have more pages per city (say some 15 pages per city).

I suspect we'll see a few cities, and the "core" differs.

  • Freeguild, Ironweld and Disposessed as well as Kharadron: The more scientific city, Chamon would fit best.
  • Freeguild, College, wanderers and the remains of High elves: The more magical of cities, Hyish would fit best.
  • Freeguild, Disposessed, Phoenix and College for Aqshi.
  • Freeguild, Wanderers for Ghyran, perhaps with Ironweld or Disposessed.
  • Dark elves and Wanderers for Ulgu, perhaps with Disposessed added to them.
  • Freeguild, Dark elves and Wanderers for Ghur.
  • Dark elves, College and Disposessed for Shyish, or everybody for Azyr (Hammerhall).

Stormcast are probably going to be able to fit everywhere.

As for abilities: I hope there will be about 3 batallions per city, with an additional flavour for the faction of the general. Every faction ability should be reworded to encompass everyone from that city.

So three layered:

  1. Allegiance: on city basis, gives general ability and decides what is in the army and the allies that can be taken
  2. Batallions
  3. General, the faction of which you choose your general decides an extra bit of the city

Ironweld, I expect the copters and bombers to go to Kharadron or Disposessed (but see next bit), and the others to go to Freeguild. Perhaps there is one or two new models, if so, the old models will get a warscroll nerf to invalidate them, if no new models, this faction will be removed in 1-2 years. Steam tank has Karl Franz text on it, and helblaster/helstorm are dated (though KF is more subtle on them).

College: Does not have a god tie. If they are not rolled in with Freeguild, they are going to be removed, if they are, they may still be. Wizards are dated, and both the griffin and luminarch/hurricanum sets have Karl Franz text on them.

Devoted: Excelsior Warpriest shares a sprue with an undersized gryph hound, so that can't be reprinted. I don't see a use for Flagellants without leaders.

Disposessed: Maybe the Kharadron rules taunted are just "what remains of disposessed can be employed by Kharadron", otherwise they will need quite a bit of meat somehow. If they do not get new models or are rolled in with the Kharadron, I expect the faction to be removed in 1-2 years.

Freeguild: Posterboys of the book, I expect warscroll buffs for Demigryph and Greatswords, same or nerfs on the rest. Militia option of guard is removed.

If I could guess for new models, a model of a general on foot (the empire captain can't stay) and general on demigryph are logical for Freeguild, and maybe we'll see the units that are going to displace the crossbowmen and downgrade the Greatswords.

Unit by unit:

  • Greatsword: Has longevity (2011 set), good set without Karl Franz lettering. May get downgraded to guard status if there is an elite infantry option.
  • Demigryphs: Brilliant (2011)set with very subtle KF shield that can easily be filled on the mold. Looks quite extravagant without being ugly.
  • General on Griffin: Brilliant (2011) set, the only weakness is KF lettering you cannot circumvent, if that is retooled, it will stay.
  • Crossbowmen/handgunners 2007 set (I think), if new missile set released, will get some sort of nerf
  • Guard: 2007 set (I think), loses militia option. I do not think other changes will happen, though if new elite infantry, Greatswords will take their place
  • Pistoleers/Outriders: 2009 set, looks good to my eyes, but has horses, may stay for now. If a new set comes, I expect outriders as a warscroll to maybestay, and pistoleers to go, since pistoleers can be found in history, while repeater guns cannot on horse.
  • Empire Captain: Awful set, 2007 I think, with square base on the sprue that you need to even get him to stand straight, needs to go. If this thing is not replaced by a general on foot or Demigryph, Freeguild is doomed.

With no new plastic. Freeguild will be removed in 1-2 years.

Alternatively, the Disposessed are rolled in with Freeguild, this would make the Ironbreakers and Hammerers the new elite infantry, and the Irondrakes the new missile weapons, but I don't think so. It would make sense with the Cogsmith remaining without dwarf artillery.

Dark elves: No idea, haven't investigated them, reunited as Malarion aelves most likely though. They have enough units to stay, and are probably AoS enough to do so.

High elf remains: This is hard. Either their remains will be folded in with the wanderers, or the dark elves. They don't fit with either. Maybe the guard will be removed after all, they are doubled with other spearmen, but why not now? The birds would fit the wanderers better, and the sisters/shadow warriors are neccessary with them a lot more, but the phoenix guard fits neither.

I do like the notion that these would become Teclis aelves, with the dark elves becoming Malarion aelves. Phoenix fits Aqshi more, but Teclis fits Hyish better. 

Wanderers: Rolled in with Kurnothi later, splashed in a few cities for now. Maybe all cities, to give them more legitimacy.

Edited by zilberfrid
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, DionTheWanderer said:

I think a lot of people (myself included) have been limping along with armies we love but that get battered on the tabletop, in the hope that they will get a book one day. That isn't really a problem with Stormcast, as they have been doing the ones doing most of the battering (seriously guys, do you have to be good in *every* phase? Give us one phase we can compete in at least.;) )

To learn that is not going to happen, and that they probably won't appear in GHB20, right after hearing there was finally a book released, was a bit galling.

 

I know them feels. Had my first game with 2000pts on Wednesday. Friday rolls round and I'm back down to 1090pts, if you take the legacy models out.

I love it! Please don't take this the wrong way but I play SCE and won 1 game at a tounament in May. The last game I won before that at a tournament was in September 2018 and the last game I won at my club was in March. The reason I am doing so badly is because I have all the older models from the release of AoS1 (which I've only had for two years) and don't have the time to buy and build the new models that you need to stay competitive.  So I limp along getting beaten up by all and sundry.

If you read the SCE thread on this website, they are all moaning about how SCE are useless, underpowered and couldn't fight their way out of a wet paper bag. Hence my excitement to find that I can diversify my army with Free peoples etc. to make them look good as they get kicked all over the battlefield.

On another note can anyone point me to the official GW list of models that have been discontinued? Or the email referred to above that says which models are gone? I don't want to start buying models that I can't use.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...