1 minute ago, SwampHeart said:

6 rounds, he won 5 of them. He beat Khorne x2, FEC, Mawtribes x2 and lost to Mawtribes once. There's also another Anvilguard player (Andrew Bigwood) who went 4-2 with a similar list (beat Petrifex Elite on stream during round 4).  

Cool. So at least there seems to be one build that works.

On 1/4/2020 at 5:54 PM, Double Misfire said:

So an overall potentially interesting day of reveals for CoS - the Archaon vs Bonereapers campaign book means we'll almost certainly get one down the line for the Gordrakk vs Excelcis/Azyr plot that's been hyped just as much.

I wonder if the new High/pointy aelves will grow out of CoS's exisiting Phoenix Temple (or even Shadowblade) stuff, the same way Nighthaunt were an expansion of the four ghost warscrolls in Legions of Nagash... 🤔

Maybe, maybe not. The book is being promoted as chaos vs OBR. But other than some new lore (don't get me wrong I do dig new lore) OBR don't seem to get anything from the book in terms of rules. Really i'm just saying I must resist the temptation to get overhyped. 

That said, after today's preview I'm a bit more optimistic that when we get a new Order focused campaign book we might get an actually usable dispossessed battalion.... Fingers crossed! 

As for the Pointy elves, the are obviously joining the list of cool new AOS factions riffing off Old World factions. My impression so far is that they are more like what fyreslayers are to dispossessed than what nighthaunt are to Legions of Nagash. But I wouldn't be surprised if there was a Pointy elf sub-faction with a rule that 1/4 units can be 'phoenix temple', or something along those lines with whatever aelven keywords they want to include. 

3 hours ago, SwampHeart said:

Hallowheart's best finish was 1st at BnG and since then has hovered in the top 10 a few times. It is also incredibly vulnerable to null deploys.

Also if you look at the lists that did well at LVO/CanCon this weekend, the Hallowhearts that succeeded were defintely blended lists that leaned on shooting but brought some significant elements of movement and or combat. 

Not just the Hallowheart lists that succeeded but all the Hallowheart lists were like that, at least at CanCon. I can't find the LVO lists because the event isn't showing up on my BCP app for some reason. It's hard to say that only the mixed lists can succeed when there aren't really any examples of actual gunline lists being taken. Also, just to be clear when I say gunline I definitely don't meant a static list without movement elements. 

8 minutes ago, swarmofseals said:

It's hard to say that only the mixed lists can succeed when there aren't really any examples of actual gunline lists being taken.

I'm taking that as a very different conclusion. There aren't really any examples of actual gunlines because those players have tested the lists and decided not to take them to tournaments for a reason. 

22 minutes ago, SwampHeart said:

I'm taking that as a very different conclusion. There aren't really any examples of actual gunlines because those players have tested the lists and decided not to take them to tournaments for a reason. 

It's definitely possible, I'm just not sure how many people actually do rigorous testing for AOS (I bet it's not that many). The "do people actually want to paint this?" factor is real, too.

7 minutes ago, swarmofseals said:

I'm just not sure how many people actually do rigorous testing for AOS (I bet it's not that many).

To provide anecdotal evidence that's all my entire team does, we relentlessly test/practice all the time. Proxy games, open hands, the whole thing. I'm sure the bulk of the tournament field doesn't but I'd be willing to bet the top 10% do. 

Just now, SwampHeart said:

To provide anecdotal evidence that's all my entire team does, we relentlessly test/practice all the time. Proxy games, open hands, the whole thing. I'm sure the bulk of the tournament field doesn't but I'd be willing to bet the top 10% do. 

How many games/battleplans will you guys put in with a list before abandoning it? 

2 minutes ago, swarmofseals said:

How many games/battleplans will you guys put in with a list before abandoning it? 

Usually at least 12 (assuming 12 against a variety of lists). Sometimes something gets dropped a lot faster but usually the goal is to try to get in double digits before making any major changes. 

8 minutes ago, SwampHeart said:

Usually at least 12 (assuming 12 against a variety of lists). Sometimes something gets dropped a lot faster but usually the goal is to try to get in double digits before making any major changes. 

OK, fair enough -- that is indeed pretty solid. I'd love to know the exact gunline lists that you guys tested. I'm also extremely jealous. I've got a lot of free time but it's mostly during the day on weekdays so it's hard to get a significant volume of games in ><.

16 minutes ago, swarmofseals said:

OK, fair enough -- that is indeed pretty solid. I'd love to know the exact gunline lists that you guys tested. I'm also extremely jealous. I've got a lot of free time but it's mostly during the day on weekdays so it's hard to get a significant volume of games in ><.

I'll PM you a few (so we're not taking up all of CoS General) but yeah I'm fortunate to have a really solid little team who wants to play as many games as I do. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone! 

Looking for feedback on my list. 

Leaders: 4

Anointed (General) 

Battlemage 

Freeguild general

Hurricanom

Batteline: 4

30x Pheonix Guard 

30x Phoenix Guard 

20x Handgunners 

20x Handgunners

Other : 1

10x Shadow Warriors 

Endless

Soulscreem Bridge 

Edited by Kimbo

I am not sure if its allowed to post Kickstarter links in the TGA forum threads, but I stumbled upon this one and found it pretty interesting for anyone who would like to add some interesting Airships to their CoS collection, be it in the form of Karadron allies/Tempest Eyes, or maybe to their KO force.

I personally am really liking the looks of that Oriental themed ship. Its aesthetic would fit perfectly to my Dragon Empire themed CoS as a KO Gunhauler.

*If there is an issue with posting the link, please let me know and I will remove it*

• Like 3
  • LOVE IT! 1

So yeah.... I dont think this needs to be said but I am just gonna... Hurricanum is absolutely amazing! And not just for the reason you might think.

I had a game against Gobbos today. My Hurricanum with wizard managed to snipe 1 of his characters per turn, just with Storm of shemtek. First turn some Gobbo warchief who has - to be hit, plus he was standing in cover and we rolled Hysh, and the type of attribute where cover gives additional -1 to be hit. I had similar experience with it when going up against Nighthaunt. It took out those pesky support heroes like nobody`s business.

Hurricanum popped him first turn. Then in second one of the 3d3 was a 1, but the final damage was still 5 and it popped his shaman. Just like that It most likely paid for itself (not sure how much those characters cost, but its goblins so I suppose it since they rely on their characters a lot). We had to call the game early due to time reasons, but I`ve been noticing that in 3 games where I brought it as my General with buffing traits and artifacts, it always did well, not just as a buffer but also as a ranged sniper and character assassin.

I am honestly tempted to run two of these. I mean if you think about it, our artillery costs 120/130 pts. Non character Hurricanum is 220pts, with wizard 280. Despite the buffs, the artillery does struggle a lot and while its not exactly horrible, Hellblaster doesnt seem to pull its weight, and Rocket Battery can if aimed at juicy targets but there is a limitation to how much buffs you can layer up on it.

Still, even at that price, it constantly pulls its weight. 3D3 mortal wounds on 2+ that ignore To Hit modifier because its an ability. Buffing aura to hit, buffing aura for spells, pretty fast with decent save to get where you need it to. And if you take it with wizard, (its a 60 pts battlemage so why wouldnt you), you get an extra snipe or buff chance each turn.

I mean seriously this thing is amazing. Great value unit. Luminark cant even be compared to it unless it drops drastically in price (-50/60 pts to even be an option to consider). 5W heroes in range of this thing are pretty much 1turn = 1dead unless they pack some really solid MW protection.

Sigmar bless the Hurricanum, for it is the weapon of the just, and a beacon of hope for those facing the horrors that lye beyond the City Walls!

Edited by Myrdin
  • Like 2

Yes the damage and utility is great,but it is too much squisy for a almost 300 model.

It gonna be deleted in turn1 by every competitive list.

For mortal wounds spam i usually run two gyrobomber also together the hurricanum, the battlemagues,the hammerers and allys 10 fyreslayers berzerkers with mortals wounds weapons.

For those bonereapers matchups where its imposible kill nothing with the 3save rerolling,ignore wound with 4 and bring back models with a 4.

I love delete the overpower model that bring them back with 4+ in turn1 with the spam of mortal wounds and see the face of bonereapers players

49 minutes ago, Doko said:

Yes the damage and utility is great,but it is too much squisy for a almost 300 model. It gonna be deleted in turn1 by every competitive list.

For those bonereapers matchups where its imposible kill nothing with the 3save rerolling,ignore wound with 4 and bring back models with a 4.

I love delete the overpower model that bring them back with 4+ in turn1 with the spam of mortal wounds and see the face of bonereapers players

So are.. many, many units in this game? The utility\damage it provides is worth it's price tag and there's a reason it's in nearly every competitive CoS list (at least HH and TE). You seem to think if a unit can be 1-shot then it shouldn't be used, and if that's the case you may want to play another game; that's just how it is. I have yet to have a Hurricanum be a priority target to any of my competitive opponents.. they're much more worried about the Hammerers, Irondrakes, etc.

Also, OBR are not impossible to kill; shooting, MW spam (as you have stated) and high rend\damage units will still obliterate them. Fyreslayers and CoS\Tzeentch being wonderful examples. The only things people have "trouble" with is not killing the Harvesters that returns models.. without that, Mortek Guard crumble since they don't get RR's against shooting and they only have a standard 6+ death save, so I'm not sure where you're getting the 4+ from unless you're talking about the Harvester..? I dunno... OBR in Petrifex are not overpowered as has been clearly shown by it's recent tournament performances. They act in the combat phase in the most basic way by having hard defense in offense, but not much else; they are easily readable\beatable on objectives and wiping them off the table if you focus units.

1 hour ago, Myrdin said:

I mean seriously this thing is amazing.

It does well for me everytime, especially in HH where it's basically required for the + to cast ability; anything else is liable to die if you roll a 5-6. People tend to grossly underestimate the MW's it throw out and the +1 to hit is invaluable for your inevitable shooting unit(s) that you'll bring along. I don't know how I would feel about 2 though.. I don't know that it would be bad, I just think 1 is enough and investing in other forms of shooting would pay off better.

It definitely doesn't die turn one against any competitive list. Then you deploy and move it wrong.

It is definitely not worth it to get two though. The auras doesn't stick so you only get the MW ability and wizard. If you want more mortal wounds output consider a Lord Arcanum for that very likely D6 MW spell.

But yeah. I've been using the Hurricanum spell through the spell portal too very successfully. D6 MW to slow heroes. Add the damage from an Everblaze Comet and then a hero is likely dead.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, mikethefish said:

With just a token pair of Battlemages in a Tempest Eye army, how many points should I devote to Endless Spells?  Since their regular spells are pretty great, I am thinking maybe just 30-40 pts or so

People did say this in he early days of CoS launch but I have to second that after getting over my dislike of endless spells: Emerald Lifeswarm should be a mainstay in any CoS army. Due to it being Empowered every single time that D6 Heal/model restoration, is just too good not to be used.

Balewind Vortex seems like a good option most of the time as well.

This might be a dumb question but:

Can Hurricanum Run, and then still use its Storm of Shemtek ability ?

SoS is resolved in the shooting phase but is not a shooting attack. But at the same time I can see the counter argument as well.

Alternatively if the answer to the first question is NO, then can a Hurricanum  move, run, of its SoS if it was the target of the Tempest Eye City ability that allows it to run and shoot ?