1 hour ago, stus67 said:

What weapon do you guys put on your Griffon? I'm thinking a lance because it just looks the best, but i'm also looking at the sword.

Shield 😜

Honestly, they all look pretty well rounded, personally I'd lean towards the hammer because I like hammers and also rend. Interested to see what the statisticians come up with.

2 minutes ago, Double Misfire said:

Shield 😜

Honestly, they all look pretty well rounded, personally I'd lean towards the hammer because I like hammers and also rend. Interested to see what the statisticians come up with.

Same lol. I really like the way the lance looks on the model and it really only loses 1 attack compared to the sword, but does have -2 on the charge which is where most of my hopes will be since I'm running it in tempest's eye.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, stus67 said:

What weapon do you guys put on your Griffon? I'm thinking a lance because it just looks the best, but i'm also looking at the sword.

I ran the numbers, on an average of different armor saves. 

There is no "Ignore -1 rend" in these calculations, keep that in mind.

Conclusion on that is the sword does the most damage, however, it does less if the enemy ignores -1 rend. The hammer is probably the best overall, but it really doesn't make a huge difference either way. The Lance is the worst, as it's only as good as the hammer when it charges, not even better. 

EDIT: added a link as the picture seems small https://imgur.com/a/J7CF8Jx

image.png.24a18902645383dda7e301f830fa1f2f.png

Edited by Rune
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

11 hours ago, Mandzak-Miniatures said:

I’m not involved with playing so I’m not sure if this is a trend or not.

I was clipping some Thralls I was going to model for apart of my cities project and noticed that it would seem most new things are put on 32mm bases. Seems odd that new IDK models are on 32 where things like all the old selves, humans dwarves are all on 25s.

not sure if it’s because they are smaller in scale or what. But thought it was something.

This isn’t really a definitive trend though. Many older models are on 32mm (lesser daemons, savage orruks etc), and various new AOS models have been put on 25mm (kharadron privateers, tzeentch horrors etc)

So really I wouldn’t worry about the 25mm going away anytime soon. In fact, I really don’t see much evidence to substantiate this supposed ‘scale creep’. New duardin v old dwarfs are the same size, same thing with skaven, daemons, BoC and others. In terms of humans, we’ve only got one unaltered human to judge from, the discontinued silver tower war priest, though  he was described as being a ‘monster of a man’ in lore iirc (he was larger than older human models).  

The main difference  I can see in AOS models are more spread out, dynamics poses, instead of actual size increases, which is simply a result of no longer needing to ‘rank up’.

Just my 2c.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Rune said:

Conclusion on that is the sword does the most damage, however, it does less if the enemy ignores -1 rend. The hammer is probably the best overall, but it really doesn't make a huge difference either way. The Lance is the worst, as it's only as good as the hammer when it charges, not even better. 

EDIT: added a link as the picture seems small https://imgur.com/a/J7CF8Jx

image.png.24a18902645383dda7e301f830fa1f2f.png

Thanks for the math. A big part of me choosing the lance is that the range is all equal, and that I can see the model actually reaching a target on foot. Thre differenve is big enough to maybe reconsider though (or make one of each).

10 hours ago, Rune said:

The Sword does the most damage against save 5+ or worse. Against save 4+ the Sword is equal to the Hammer and against save 3+ or better the Hammer is better than the Sword. The Lance does the same damage as the Hammer when charging and is always worse than Hammer and Sword when not. So you can't say the Sword does the most damage. It always depends on the save.

Edited by Duke of Gisoreux

3 minutes ago, Duke of Gisoreux said:

The Sword does the most damage against save 5+ or worse. Against save 4+ the Sword is equal to the Hammer and against save 3+ or better the Hammer is better than the Sword. The Lance does the same damage as the Hammer when charging and is always worse than Hammer and Sword when not. So you can't say the Sword does the most damage. It always depends on the save.

Absolutely agree with that statement, when I said that the sword does the most damage it was against my weighted average. It's definitely dependant on the situation. Thanks for highlighting that.

Fyi the damage seen here is a weighted average on:

4+ save is weighted 3*

3+ & 5+ is weighted 2*

1/2 and 6+ is weighted 1*

With so many things ignoring rend 1 the hammer is my overall favourite option. If the sword's rend is ignored it is significantly worse than the hammer.

Just to add to my previous post, I've made a simple excel sheet that calculates the average damage and defense of units. It is by no means perfect, but if someone is interested I'd be happy to share. This is an overview based on it so far:

image.png.d1e678b6bd5791c752d3e8dfa7ec62a5.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Hello everyone, a friend of mine wants to start his journey in AoS with the free cities and stormcasts but we are unsure how these can be mixed since he doesnt have a battletome yet.

Can all stormcast troops and heroes be used in the free cities?

Is there a limit on how many stormcast you can put in your army?

Are stormcast warscrolls included in the free cities tome? or does he have to buy both battletomes?

9 minutes ago, Kloefklaffer said:

Hello everyone, a friend of mine wants to start his journey in AoS with the free cities and stormcasts but we are unsure how these can be mixed since he doesnt have a battletome yet.

Can all stormcast troops and heroes be used in the free cities?

Is there a limit on how many stormcast you can put in your army?

Are stormcast warscrolls included in the free cities tome? or does he have to buy both battletomes?

You can use any stormcast unit or character you like in any city, they all gain the appropriate city keyword to benefit from city rules, but not stormcast host bonuses.

You can have a maximum of 1 in 4 units be stormcast but no point restrictions.  This does limit you somewhat.

The stormcast warscrolls aren't included, but you can get them for free from the unit pages on games-workshop.com or the AoS app.

6 minutes ago, Amradiel said:

I love the KO models. How is the best way to max out on KO models in Cities of sigmar?

Take Tempest's Eye as the city. They have a rule that up to 1 in 4 units can be Kharadron, and they gain the city keyword so benefit from city rules, no limits on points. You'll need to keep the CoS units cheap to take a bunch to give you more Kharadron slots. Pistoliers and outriders are pretty cheap points-wise, are battleline in Tempest's Eye, and can be used in the Tempest's Eye battallion (with a freeguild general and even 2 gunhaulers) so that's one place to start.

Bear in mind Kharadron are one of the very last 1.0 tomes (only 4 left to do) so are expected to get a new battletome in the next 2-3 months, which may impact on what are the best units.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Arkhanist said:

Take Tempest's Eye as the city. They have a rule that up to 1 in 4 units can be Kharadron, and they gain the city keyword so benefit from city rules, no limits on points. You'll need to keep the CoS units cheap to take a bunch to give you more Kharadron slots. Pistoliers and outriders are pretty cheap points-wise, are battleline in Tempest's Eye, and can be used in the Tempest's Eye battallion (with a freeguild general and even 2 gunhaulers) so that's one place to start.

Bear in mind Kharadron are one of the very last 1.0 tomes (only 4 left to do) so are expected to get a new battletome in the next 2-3 months, which may impact on what are the best units.

Oh I didn't know that a new battletome was coming. Then I'll wait for that instead 😊

I'm sorry if this has been discussed before, but what are the best qualities for a bodyguard unit? I'm torn between extra bodies and higher quality wounds. Thoughts?

I've also been finding greater success with a combined arms approach (shooting, melee, and cavalry) than with focusing in on any one of those three aspects. (haven't played that many games yet though) What has been other people's experience?

1 minute ago, TheArborealWalrus said:

I'm sorry if this has been discussed before, but what are the best qualities for a bodyguard unit? I'm torn between extra bodies and higher quality wounds. Thoughts?

Phoenix Guard are probably the"best" bodyguard unit for the chance to shrug off wounds after they've been allocated to them. Might be wise to look at a until from the same faction as your chosen general though, to benefit from their command ability while nearby. :) 

17 minutes ago, TheArborealWalrus said:

'Higher quality wounds' win due to the unit being limited to 20 folks anyway. Important quality in bodyguard unit seems to be 'being useful in relatively low numbers apart from being bodyguard' - using them just as ablative wounds is a waste. This either means something elite, like phoenix guard [best durability], or something that can provide extra utility, be it as shooters or something unique - example here would be, say, bleakswords as a retinue to a sorceress general. They work both as a shield and battery for her spells. Or, when using a bit niche option of the Assassin general, having him jump out of his retinue drastically increases his staying power compared to a standard, non general one ; ). Also, think of where you need your general to be, and choose a retinue that isn't wasted in the same place - if your general is a battlemage with 30' damage spell, retinue of crossbowmen can stand at backline together with him and still shoot (and they get their bonus at size 10+, making unit of 20 viable).

Think of maximising retinue's usefulness, avoiding units that would be better in larger numbers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, Double Misfire said:

Don't know what all the Hallowheart uproar at the main event's about, but I managed to scoop second prize at Blood and Glory's Warhammer Achievements at the weekend using Greywater Fastness at the weekend, along with best general and no sports votes, so they must be overpowered.  😳😉

EIhpt3yWwAATF9t?format=jpg&name=4096x409

Congrats! That is awesome! Care to share your list? Even more important, got any army pics? 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, flamingwalnut said:

Congrats! That is awesome! Care to share your list? Even more important, got any army pics? 

Thanks dude!

It was a narrative event which rewarded you for zany list builds like no duplicate units and 3+ chariots (check out the rules here if you're interested), and I never even used my 2k list, which was a bit of a smush of random units, as I chose to play all my games as doubles. My 1k list for anyone curious was: Runelord with Seat on the Council and Wand of Restoration, Sorceress adjutant, 2x10 Longbeards - one with GWs one with shields, Gyrocopter with Steam Gun, Gotrek, a Malevolent Maelstrom and my custom Commander warscroll.

EIcwvNjW4AAXchX.jpeg.234266c52c89b3e61ced70ea3e88284a.jpegEIcwvJXX0AAfuut.jpeg.239571518b8fe197eb71951e5d20376d.jpegEIcwvK_WsAUYmMk.jpeg.4df2552d7b7d8a3f0c2d1d09f2845aea.jpeg

• Like 3
  • LOVE IT! 1

5 minutes ago, Double Misfire said:

It was a narrative event which rewarded you for zany list builds like no duplicate units and 3+ chariots (check out the rules here if you're interested), and I never even used my 2k list, which was a bit of a smush of random units, as I chose to play all my games as doubles. My 1k list for anyone curious was: Runelord with Seat on the Council and Wand of Restoration, Sorceress adjutant, 2x10 Longbeards - one with GWs one with shields, Gyrocopter with Steam Gun, Gotrek, a Malevolent Maelstrom and my custom Commander warscroll.

First, it's a beautiful army. Second, I just imagined a mostly dwarf military force with an evil sorceress serving as an advisor, advocating blood sacrifice as a viable option in any situation. Never mind the Cities are very conversion friendly, just a stock darkling model would be hilarious.

Greywater without any artillery, though? Shame!

• Thanks 1