There was also an addition to the faq that stated factions without allegiance abilities may use the GA ones. This means that I could legally field an Order Serpentis army with drakespawn knight battleline-if because they have GA order by default now, correct?

Anyone have any games with Greywater? With the SCE artillery being the cheapest, and possibly the most durable, warmachine, is it best to just run x4 of those as opposed to other guns? Or maybe x3 Stormcast and x1 steamtank (with a lord ordinator running behind it)? And should it be a static list with a big unit of dwarf warriors or freeguild guarding the guns, or should aggressive units be used?

2 hours ago, kenshin620 said:

Anyone have any games with Greywater? With the SCE artillery being the cheapest, and possibly the most durable, warmachine, is it best to just run x4 of those as opposed to other guns? Or maybe x3 Stormcast and x1 steamtank (with a lord ordinator running behind it)? And should it be a static list with a big unit of dwarf warriors or freeguild guarding the guns, or should aggressive units be used?

If you're going to max out on Celestar Ballistas, you might as well do it with Living City or Stormcast allegiance (with two allied Cannons!) as you're going to struggle to get them within 18" without deepstrike.

I've not played using Greywater Fastness allegiance (by the time Dispossessed were errata'd in it was way too late and I'd already moved to Tempest's Eye), but the best way to maximise on potential extra shots it to give yourself two chances to generate them, using the Artillery Detachment battalion.

I'm currently working on a Lonely Realmsphere Guide for Greywater Fastness in conjunction with my upadted Ironweld artillery guide for AoS 2.0, but for now take a look at my Ironweld unit guide from the previous edition's Let's Chat thread, very little of the principals of using the units have changed under the new rules (ignore all references to Hunting Hounds ;)).

So new to the game myself, and housemate wants to play Free Guild and bought the Hammerhal box w extra unit of Crossbow and Militia - However he also has the AElves from the Spire of Dawn (ala Island of Blood) box, a Skycutter, AElf chariot, and the Stormcast half of the Soul Wars box

So given this, what would you recommend for the best city for such a force? Or based off the different cities, are there any which are 100% a no go?

Bit of a newb, so excuse if these are stupid questions!

28 minutes ago, Tooooon said:

So new to the game myself, and housemate wants to play Free Guild and bought the Hammerhal box w extra unit of Crossbow and Militia - However he also has the AElves from the Spire of Dawn (ala Island of Blood) box, a Skycutter, AElf chariot, and the Stormcast half of the Soul Wars box

So given this, what would you recommend for the best city for such a force? Or based off the different cities, are there any which are 100% a no go?

Bit of a newb, so excuse if these are stupid questions!

Stormcast, Free Peoples and Swifthawk Agents together can make up either Tempest’s Eye (for 1st turn movement bonuses) or Hammerhal (which includes anything Order other than Seraphon).

• Like 2

So I've been thinking of expanding my Slyvaneth army into a Living City one once I finish up with my Idoneth and I've been having a hard time putting together a list I like. As soon as I put in the things I wanted I had way too little points for battleline to support them ><

As such, I've decided to take the opposite approach and start with battleline and fill in the rest. Upon doing so however, I encountered a different problem: all the Living City battleline seems pretty good.

Given my lack of experience playing anything but Dryads, I decided to do a breakdown of each of the battleline options and how they fit into the army and I thought I'd share my opinions here both to help others and to get some input from some more experienced players.

I'd like to make a few disclaimers first however. Firstly note that all these are merely my opinions and almost entirely theory crafting. I also haven't had time to go through every single potential synergy they all get so I may be missing some strong options here. I will likely do a separate post on the stand out hero choices sometime where I go into their potential synergies. Secondly, I'm assuming that a Treelord Ancient will be taken in all lists as they are the sole source of wyldwoods needed for the allegiance ability. Lastly, I'm assuming a relatively mixed force to take advantage of all the options available. Obviously the more you focus on one faction the better those factions units get as they gain built in synergies.

Liberators

The most well rounded option coming in with a good save, ok damage output (helped by the option of a special weapon), ok move and good bravery. Liberators also fall in the middle of the points range making them affordable.  Unfortunately they suffer from jack-of-all-trades-ism and ultimately don't stand out particular much, especially since their low model count makes them less suitable for objective camping. On the plus side, that low model count make them easy to place using the Living City ability and there is potential for a sneaky  objective steal in the enemy backfield if they are not careful. I think both weapon options are viable i would  definitely  recommend shields as they are not good enough  in combat to go all in with double weapons. Liberators are a solid option for their price but don't expect them to be going above and beyond in the majority of cases.

Freeguild Guard

The joint cheapest option and a versatile pick for the price. They come with more models than Liberators making them better for objective camping although the quality per model is significantly lower. The best loadouts in my opinion are swords with shields. As a core of the army the swords are good for the extra save in combat which makes them better as an anvil. The role of halberds as a rend option is better done by the Dispossed Warriors for the same price and Living City had too many good shooting options to make militia weapons worth it. Unfortunately the incentive to take large units works somewhat against them in a Living City army as it makes them hard to place on the board, however they work well as an anchor that starts on the board in larger units. For particularly large units I would consider looking at spears for the extra range. One option would be to drop a small unit the edge of a wyldwood with swords to get a 3+ reroll 1s in combat whilst preventing enemies from getting within 9" of the other side of the wyldwood to deny your deepstrike, though don't expect this unit to last with their horrible bravery. However they are used, Freeguild Guard are cheap so you can be comfortable knowing that even if they don't shine every game they haven't impacted your overall list too much.

Dispossed Warriors

Coming in the same cost as the Freeguild Guard, Dispossessed Warriors sacrifice movement and versitility for better combat potential and tankiness. With decent bravery and the option to reduce battleshock losses by half, these guys are your cheap anvil. Whilst at first glance their save doesn't seem impressive, they can choose to forgo running and charging to get rerolls on all saves, which coupled with cover gives them a rerollable 4+. In addition to this they get to take great weapons putting the whole unit at -1 rend without having to sacrifice defence like the Freeguild Guard. This can be increased to -2 rend with a Runelord making these your cheapest anti-skid choice. They have no horde bonuses as well, meaning you can take minimum sized units knowing that they will be performing at maximum potential. The latter allows them to be deployed easily using the Living city ability which is important for overcoming their low movement. This means they can perform the same wyldwood roadblock role mentioned above albeit with 4+ rerolls instead of 3+ reroll 1s without having to be in combat (whilst hitting back harder) for the same price. As above with the From Guard, however you plan on using them, the cheapness of Warriors means that they will likely always be pulling their weight somehow, though they are best taken as small deepstriking units due to their low movement.

Longbeards

Take a Warrior, stick him in some better armour, make him a bit bravery and you have yourself a Longbeard (of course the bravery comes from the knowledge that no one else will have as great a beard as you). Longbeards cost the same as Liberators whilst offering more tankiness, more models and rend at the cost of movement and ease of placement. Longbeards are the hardest to shift out of the options available, getting a 3+ rerollable in cover so long as they didn't run or charge. This makes them one of the best options in the army for wyldwood defending, beaten only by their tougher, more expensive Ironbreaker brothers in pure defence, and Eternal Guard who get 3+ reroll 1s and 2s at a very cheap price (albeit losing rend and the ability to move at all on the process). Given that both of these units aren't battleline, Longbeards offer a good choice if you want to keep battleline costs down. Longbeards only get better in an army with more Dispossessed, offering force multiplier buffs and the potential to get -2 rend with support from a Runelord. Given their slow movement however, Longbeards are a choice best left off the board to start, favouring smaller units as well as support from anchor units that can start the game on the board.

Dryads

The last of the dedicated close combat battleline and a very good one. Dryads are the fastest option having a base 7" move that allows them to quickly get across the board without having to use the allegiance ability. And despite this, they arent slouches offensively or defensively getting 2 attacks a piece at 2" meaning they have the highest volume of attacks at Freeguild Guard sword quality and a 4+ save as long as their is 12+ models alive. Unlike other units, I feel like the speed of Dryads, as well as the fact it isn't instantly lost and the 2" range on their attacks, make this bonus well worth pursuing without worrying about fitting on whilst deploying. Dryads also stand out as the only battleline to not be affected by wyldwoods as well as having natural synergy with the practically mandatory Treelord Ancient. The former makes them good defenders of your wyldwoods when fighting magic focused armies, especially if coupled with Sisters of Thorn which allows them to get 3+ reroll 1s reflect mortal wounds on 4+. Overall I think Dryads are a great, affordable pick for a Living City army and would recommend at least one unit of 20 in most armies to act as a fast moving high model count objective stealer and screening unit that starts on the board.

(Also worth noting that Dryads can be summoned in units of 10 from wyldwoods by a Branchwraith so youll probably want the models anyway.

Freeguild Crossbowmen

Coming in at the same price as all the Freeguild ranged options, I see Crossbowmen as the most general purpose of the 3 options. Crossbowmen have ok shooting that shines when taken in large units to double their number of shots, especially with their potential rend on 6s. I've mentioned a lot about large unit sizes but I think one advantage of Crossbowmen here is that their 20" range means they dont necessarily need to deepstrike to have an impact. I personally see Crossbowmen as a mid to backfield camper option that starts on the board and sits still once it's reached its objective, using its ability to shoot when charged to scare weaker units from engaging it. As with all the ranged units support is key as they share horrible saves and bravery meaning they will quickly fall to enemy attention  I think crossbowmen are the choice to take if you're looking for massed fire in a semi-mobile block.

One thing to note here that is true of all the shooting battleline is that the new rules for wyldwoods prevent them from shooting at units more than 1" through the woods. As such, its important to think carefully where to place your woods so as to not prevent your own units from shooting.

Freeguild Archers

Whereas Crossbowmen want to be taken in large units, I believe Archers are the go to option for affordable small units. They still get to reroll 1s no matter unit size making smaller units shoot better than Crossbowmen and the bonus from larger units is smaller. Archers are better started on the board to take advantage of their free movement at the beginning of the game to allow you to quickly gain board control. Whereas Crossbowmen advance behind the army to sit on captured objectives, I see Archers moving ahead quickly to take midfield objectives, peppering the enemy with low damage shots and then getting relieved by tougher units that move up behind. Given this, I think Archers are the choice for a more mobile force that wants some limited fire support or for when you have a few spare points left to go on a small ranged unit. Also worth noting is that Archers have the best close combat of the ranged battleline, though you still shouldn't expect anything from them.

Freeguild Handgunners

In my opinion Freeguild Handgunners are a somewhat unfluffy yet powerful choice in a Living City army. Whilst having a low to hit, Handgunners can easily improve this by not moving and taking large numbers, getting them quickly up to a 3+ to hit with better wound and rend than the other options. In addition they have take a special weapon for the leader to give more damage potential. Both options are good in my opinion as Living City allows you to bypass the short range on the repeater handgun. The primary weakness of the handgunners is their slightly shorter range and lack of mobility, meaning the are normally going to be sitting on the backfield. However, the Living City allows for this units to be place where they are needed, and the new rules meaning that units that are deployed do not count as having moved allow them to immediately shoot with greater accuracy. I personally think Handgunners are the best ranged option mechanically due to the deployment options the Living City gives them, however, as mentioned, I see them as the least fluffy option so it is up to personal opinion if you want to field them.

Glade Guard

The last option and in my opinion the hardest to rate. At base level they are more expensive Crossbowmen without the chance for rend or bonus shooting in larger units, in return for bonuses to hit in large numbers. Glade Guard are the bravest and fastest of the shooting options giving them value as frontline skirmishers and midfield objective stealers. The true thing that separates them and makes them worth more is the once per game ability to shoot at -3 rend. This gives them the potential to put the hurt in larger monsters (though things like stardrakes still aren't worth your time shooting) and characters, or to help weaken an elite unit, something I feel the other battleline options besides maybe Handgunners and Dispossessed struggle with. Unfortunately this ability only works once and given their higher cost it gets pricey if you take them in the numbers needed for it to really be a game changer. I personally think glade guard would be best played as more mobile archers, making using the Living City ability to put them near a tough unit to get a few shots and then using their higher movement to run away. I personally see myself needing to experiment with them before making a proper verdict however due to their similarities to other options.

Conclusion

As mentioned in the intro I think that Living City had access to a very good battleline selection. I'm really interested to see what other people think. Personally I'm leaning towards one unit of 10 Warriors  a unit of 20 Dryads, a unit of 20 Freeguild Guard w/ swords, and some minimum sized Archers/Glade Guard for a mobile force with a bit of defence thrown in.

Edited by Yoshiya
Revised Longbeard Section
  • Like 7

Excellent post @Yoshiya :D 

I'd personally sway towards Dispossessed Warriors over Freeguild guard as they're about as fast when you take into account their musicians, are better at everything else, and combine very well with grumbling Lonbeards for battleshock resilience.

What are you looking at outside of Battleline choices? Irondrakes and Celestar Ballista's are both well equipped to take advantage of the Living City's deployment rules (and the cover they'll likely be deploying in!) to get in range on turn 1.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Double Misfire said:

Excellent post @Yoshiya :D 

I'd personally sway towards Dispossessed Warriors over Freeguild guard as they're about as fast when you take into account their musicians, are better at everything else, and combine very well with grumbling Lonbeards for battleshock resilience.

What are you looking at outside of Battleline choices? Irondrakes and Celestar Ballista's are both well equipped to take advantage of the Living City's deployment rules (and the cover they'll likely be deploying in!) to get in range on turn 1.

Thanks, took me some time to go through it all but I think it's important with the Free Cities to really understand the role all the different units have. Being mixed they often have a lot of overlap unlike a normal army and small differences can quickly add up.

That's a good point about the Warriors actually. My main attraction to the Freeguild was the fact that they get better saves in combat without relying on cover whilst also being able to charge (so I can be more aggressive with them). The rend on warriors is very tempting though and I do like the models a bit more.

As for the rest of the army my current fixed choices are a Treelord Ancient (mandatory in my mind) and a Branchwraith (for summoning more chaff). That also allows me to borrow from the Slyvaneth collection that inspired the list. In addition a Knight-Azyros is pretty much fixed because I can get it where I want its buff easily.

After that I'm looking at a Lord-Aquilor and a group of Vanguard-Palladors. I think it's important to keep your opponent on your toes, punishing any mistakes by deploying units to capitalise on them with a Living City. As such, the Palladors ability to redeploy every turn with a Aquilor and a once a turn long move allows me to get hard hitters where they are needed.

To that end I'm also looking at Vanguard-Raptors w/ Hurricane Crossbow which get 21 shots on deployment with 18" range and can be covered by Aetherwings as chaff barriers. Combined with a Knight-Vexillor who can give them a once per game redeploy I see them as a good option to take out support heroes or enemy chaff. Alternatives would be Waywatcher for similar damage output at a lower cost or Sisters of the Watch for higher damage and more models at a higher cost.

Regarding Irondrakes, I think whilst they're undeniably a good option they don't personally fit the image I have for the army in my mind. A guy in large armour with a huge gun doesn't scream 'stealth ambusher' in my mind nor do I think gunpowder and trees go well together. The Ballista on the other hand is a good option and I'm thinking of taking one to deepstrike and maybe redeploy with a Vexillor.

I'm mostly worried about getting some heavy hitters so the Ballista would help with that too.

As a expert on all things duardin I don't suppose you could tell me if Longbeards/Ironbreakers are on 25mm Misfire? If so there is just enough space to put them right on the edge of a wyldwood and put a ranged unit directly behind them, giving me a tough shooting encampment.

• Like 1

So question...

Is the Lord-Ordinator not the perfect Engineer for a Greywater force?  +1 to hit seems extremely good when I am planning on spamming warmachines.

I was under the impression he was not good anymore after his nerf, but a +1 to hit is still really good, especially when it applies to all Order warmachines around him.  That seems like it would include artillery and even the Steam Tank.

12 hours ago, Nevar said:

So question...

Is the Lord-Ordinator not the perfect Engineer for a Greywater force?  +1 to hit seems extremely good when I am planning on spamming warmachines.

I was under the impression he was not good anymore after his nerf, but a +1 to hit is still really good, especially when it applies to all Order warmachines around him.  That seems like it would include artillery and even the Steam Tank.

He's not got the Engineer keyword, and while his +1 to hit is good you'll still need a Gunmaster or Cogsmith to babysit any Ironweld artillery piece that's not a Helstorm Rocket Battery in addition to him.

At 140 points and a valuable leader slot, and without the command ability that made him an auto include in an Ironweld focused list back when he debuted with Malign Portents he's now much more of an option than a necessity, even in the most cannon-y list.

I see the downside of not having the Engineer Keyword on most of the Ironweld artillery.  Correct me if I am wrong though, but the Celestar Ballista and the Steam Tank do not benefit from the Keyword 'Engineer' at all correct?  It is mainly Ironweld stuff that can reroll certain dice when baby sat by an engineer, and worse yet they almost all are within 1" of the artillery piece.  That means one engineer can potentially camp on two artillery cannons each, requiring two gunmasters for instance to sit between four cannons as example.  Lord-Ordinator can stand in the general area of your artillery to give out a +1 to hit universally to Celestars, Cannons, and Steam Tanks to boot.  Hitting on a 3+ and rerolling 4+ are pretty close to the same effect, two Gunmasters run us 160 points, 20 points more than one Ordinator, although I will admit and point out that the Gunmasters have long rifles to help with the battle.  Lord-Ordinator only gets into the fight if the enemy is on top of your artillery.

The way I see it, I want both engineers and Lord-Ordinator.  Celestar Ballista hitting on 2+ at long range, and cannons hitting on re-rolled 3+ is extremely good it seems.  Feedback on this idea is wanted.

GREYWATER FASTNESS

Lord-Ordinator -  Grand Hammer

Gunmaster - Long Rifle

Spellweaver

Freeguild Militia  x10

Freeguild Handgunners x30

Dwarf Warriors x10

Dwarf Warriors x10

Celestar Ballista x2

Cannons x2

Steam Tank

Sisters of the Watch x10

Freeguild Greatswords x10

1960/2000 Points

Several of the units in this army are for flavor or because I already own the models.  Greatswords, Militia, and Handgunners are models I own for a 1k army, so that is why they are included.  Militia also have more guns while also being melee chaff.  Dwarf warriors are cheap battle line that ca also play picket fence between my arty and sharp sticks.  Handgunners are the bulk of my infantry, but in a pinch are also cushion for the artillery section.  Steam Tank because Steam Tank.  Spellweaver is a wizard for magical defense and also has a once per game auto-unbind to save my bacon from comets and the like.  As a bonus she can revive the Sisters of the Watch if they are not wiped out.  Sisters of the Watch can be witheringly good if they don't move and no one shoots them back, plus they can stand just behind the meat shields and get to shoot during the charge phase if anyone is foolish enough to multicharge into them.

The downside is obviously objective scoring, but I mainly plan on using this as a castle force with smaller chaff units grabbing objectives and also slowing down enemy advance.  Dwarf warriors, militia, greatswords, and steam tank can move up to contest in the mid field if the enemy doesn't have deep-strike shinanigans, and the ranged elements should be able to offer support where needed to make the 10 man units able to win or contest side objectives.  I will be unlikely to ever hold any objectives in the enemy deployment zone.

Edited by Nevar
  • Like 1

So after much deliberation I have finally come up with lore and an army list for my free city.

The Everblossom Groves -2000pts

Allegiance: The Living City

Realm: Shyish

Heroes

Lord-Aquilor (General, Legendary Fighter) - 200pts

Treelord Ancient (Ethereal Amulet) - 300pts

Runelord - 100pts

Knight-Azyros - 100pts*

Knight-Incantor - 140pts

Spell weaver - 100pts*

Battleline

20 Dryads - 200pts

20 Glade Guard - 240pts

10 Warriors - 80pts

10 Longbeards - 100pts

Other

10 Eternal Guard - 70pts*

10 Eternal Guard - 70pts*

3 Vanguard-Palladors - 200pts

Celesta Ballista - 100pts*

(* Starts in reserve)

The basic idea behind the army is that a grove planted in the Age of Myth by Alarielle in Shyish has grown to have a mixture of races living there. Originally humans lived their too but after being forced to flee through the realmgate that led to the edge of Ghyran at the centre of the forest to escape the Necroquake, all the humans died (or rather were mutated into trees/bugs etc.) In a last ditch effort to save the humans that had guarded her grove during the Age of Chaos, Alarielle made a deal with Sigmar, though what she offered in return is still unknown. As such, all the remaining humans were saved and turned into Stormcast Eternals who now fight alongside their friends to reclaim the forest from the forces of dead that now claim them.

As such, I decided to avoid any human units and built a core out of the other races. I think 20 Dryads is enough to keep their bonus, and 20 Glade Guard should pack a punch on the turn they use their -3 rend ability. The Duardin were split into a unit of warriors and longbeards for point reasons.

For heroes I wanted to have a lot of anti-magic as I feel that if we let armies freely use it them our woods will turn against us. Ofc I will have to be careful myself with three wizards but none of their spells are super important so if it's too risky I can just skip my own magic phase. The Lord-Aquilor is general because I felt putting too many eggs into the Treelord would be bad since he is already a priority target as the only source of woods. Legendary Fighter is to make him a character killer.  Relic on Treelord is for survivability. Knight-Azyros is there because the buff he provides affects everyone and he is a source of mortal wounds.

Eternal Guard are there to protect woods, being very hard to shift I forests with Spell weaver for risky healing. Ballista is pretty self explanatory whilst Palladors are because I love the models and I think the redeployment options will make the opponent have to think about more than just board edges and trees.

Overall I think the list is quite tanky with a medium punch with a surprising amount of rend when needed.

Weaknesses would be a lack of reliable mortal wounds and magic potentially backfiring.

Alternatives I'm considering include dropping the Incantor and Warriors in favour of another Ballista/Waywatcher and a 20 man Longbeards unit (more buff coverage and tankier) or dropping the Longbeard for a 20 man Warriors squad and an endless spell (Swords for more mortals, Shackles for more board control or Maelstrom for even more anti-magic).

• Like 4

@Yoshiya  Awesome list and lore. The Living City is probably the most interesting to build around alongside Anvilguard. Once you got a scheme and finished models, I would love to see them.

I am still debating where to take my Mixed Order. Hallowheart was my choice mechanically, or Grey Water if I keep my artillery. But I also want Melusai... /sigh Indecision is my middle name...

• Like 2

On 8/7/2018 at 2:40 AM, flamingwalnut said:

@Yoshiya  Awesome list and lore. The Living City is probably the most interesting to build around alongside Anvilguard. Once you got a scheme and finished models, I would love to see them.

I am still debating where to take my Mixed Order. Hallowheart was my choice mechanically, or Grey Water if I keep my artillery. But I also want Melusai... /sigh Indecision is my middle name...

Thanks :) I actually have a scheme done for Slyvaneth since I was already collecting them. I'll try and get some pictures up later today after work :)

And I agree picking which city is pretty hard >< thankfully for me it was mostly chosen since I wanted to use my Slyvaneth models but if I was starting from scratch it would have definitely been harder.

I think one way to go about it is to think about 2~3 factions you'd like to use and then going and checking which allegiances would let you use them. If you try to include every model you like not only will your list be all over the place but you'll get stuck with the less interesting rules of hammerhal (nothing wrong with that ofc, just means you don't get quite the same sense of uniqueness as the other cities in my opinion).

On a side note, who else thinks they need to put an exception for the named characters in for the new Stormcast guy who runs Hammerhal?He's literally the only unit in the game specifically tired to Hammerhal and you can't take him in those armies.

• Like 1

Renamed my city to Heldensvult. 

Trimmed the beard down on the hammerer's head and put that and the drakegun on a cadian body from 40k.  Still needs something for his shoulders (putty filling at the very least).

8385083098107.jpg.fd3bb404364a769c72b1f1929096687f.jpg

I think next to the other stuff in my force he's suitably short, even if the proportions are no longer so squished.

8385083942103.jpg.0211bb3112bf93b5d0676bc29050dc87.jpg

8385094042359.jpg.e73400188a0ca38ccb3100a669cd283a.jpg

I've never been a fan of GW's dorf proportions outside of the Lord of the Rings miniatures.  This guy is now pretty close to those LOTR proportions for dwarves.

I don't think anyone is going to have any issues accepting that as an irondrake.

Edited by Nin Win
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Double Misfire said:

The Excelsior Warpriest is huge! I had no idea.

He drinks milk!

But yea GW has been moving towards a far larger 32mm scale for even normal humans. Helps offset the comically large weapons people use (theres a picture I once saw of a 40k guardsmen right next to a RL soldier and the proportions look wacky) and allows for more details to get packed in.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

So considering using the Living City rules, as they offer a lot of mobility to the like of the Dispossessed...!

Can you use the Grudgebound Warthrong in a Living City army? It seems like it'd be pretty great. MSU works just fine with Dwarves, especially with the 50% pass on all Battleshock hit rerolls of 1 to form a solid core, the heavy hitters of which can be kept in reserve to move on from the trees. Plus it gives me an extra relic.

Irondrakes appearing out of a wood to burninate something is too good to pass up, especially behind a block of Ironbreakers and Hammerers. The unforged probably gets a lease on life by coming out of a tree too.

If so army would be something like for 2k:

• GBWT: Warden King, Runelord, Unforged, 2x10 Warriors, 10 Longbeards, 10 Thunderers/ Quarrellers, 10 Hammerers, 10 Irondrakes, 10 Ironbreakers
  • Treelord Ancient
  • 3 Kurnoth with Bows

Which brings me to 1850 - so 100 +1CP or 150 to play with, of which I probably need another Wizard (though was eyeing up a SCE Ballistia...) and a Spell weaver with their instant unbind could be powerful, or one of the tree-ladies to summon Dryads to bulk out the field?

Thoughts? Of course if I can't use the battalion then it frees up another big chunk of points to use and I wont be locked into so much Duradin.

Working on the fluff, but the rough idea is Duradin forced out of their underground fortresses and into the forests. They managed to take their ancestors spirits with them and keep them temporarily contained in runic vessels but then had to move them into trees instead - and thats how they march with Trees :)

Edited by Charlo
  • Like 1

I dont believe anything is stopping you from taking the battalion but it does leave you very little in the way of flexibility and whilst you have a lot of Duardin, having them separated into so many small units might be a problem with buffing. Additionally the bonus to battleshock tests doesn't matter too much with small units as they will likely be wiped entirely or not have to worry about the tests in the first place.

For that reason if you really want to stick with them I'd be tempted to spend your remaining points on bulking out a unit of Warriors or Longbeards to act as a anvil and buff target.

Also, I feel like you'd be better off with Kurnoth Hunters with scythes than bows. The bows aren't amazing with the new Look out sir and I feel you already have some ranged presence. Scythes would give you some hard hitters your list doesn't really have and be durable enough to tie up enemy monsters.

Please let me know how it goes though, as someone currently making my Living City atm I'm interested to see how people find certain units.

Also, because I promise pictures ages ago and never got round to it, here is my army so far;

IMG_20180829_213525.jpg

IMG_20180829_213623.jpg

IMG_20180829_213926.jpg

IMG_20180829_213952.jpg

IMG_20180829_214043.jpg

IMG_20180829_214051.jpg

IMG_20180829_213652.jpg

IMG_20180829_213703.jpg

• Like 3

Planning a few future armies, and I really, really love gunlines/artillery. I've been jumping between using Free Peoples allegiance, but then I limit myself greatly on war machines which is primarily what I want. I've come up with the below list that hopefully works out well enough semi-competitively, locally at least. I'm not looking to sweep tourneys with it of course.

Is it worth it to drop the Ordinator for another 20 guard? With the amount of artillery, he seems almost required, but that 20 guard could fill in gaps in the gun line. Speaking of gun lines, without the benefit of great companies, is it better to just put the handgunners in a block of 30 over 3x10?

Allegiance: Order
Greywater Fastness

Leaders
Freeguild General On Griffon (260)
- General
- Shield & Greathammer
- Trait: Strategic Genius
- Artefact: Phoenix Stone
Freeguild General (100)
- Stately War Banner
Lord-Ordinator (140)

Battleline
20 x Freeguild Guard (160)
- Swords and Shields
- Swords and Shields
10 x Freeguild Handgunners (100)
- Long Rifle
- Long Rifle
- Long Rifle

War Machines
Helstorm Rocket Battery (180)
Steam Tank (260)
Celestar Ballista (100)
Celestar Ballista (100)

Total: 1940 / 2000

Edited by Gwendar
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Gwendar said:

Planning a few future armies, and I really, really love gunlines/artillery. I've been jumping between using Free Peoples allegiance, but then I limit myself greatly on war machines which is primarily what I want. I've come up with the below list that hopefully works out well enough semi-competitively, locally at least. I'm not looking to sweep tourneys with it of course.

Is it worth it to drop the Ordinator for another 20 guard? With the amount of artillery, he seems almost required, but that 20 guard could fill in gaps in the gun line. Speaking of gun lines, without the benefit of great companies, is it better to just put the handgunners in a block of 30 over 3x10?

Allegiance: Order
Greywater Fastness

Leaders
Freeguild General On Griffon (260)
- General
- Shield & Greathammer
- Trait: Strategic Genius
- Artefact: Phoenix Stone
Freeguild General (100)
- Stately War Banner
Lord-Ordinator (140)

Battleline
- Swords and Shields
- Swords and Shields
- Long Rifle
- Long Rifle
- Long Rifle

War Machines
Steam Tank (260)
Celestar Ballista (100)
Celestar Ballista (100)

Total: 1940 / 2000

Any reason you have a general on Griphon instead of a second Steam Tank?

Also, you chose the Helstorm Rockets because they don't need an engineer around I guess?

6 hours ago, Nevar said:

Any reason you have a general on Griphon instead of a second Steam Tank?

Also, you chose the Helstorm Rockets because they don't need an engineer around I guess?

Not particularly, I guess because he seems more capable in CC and fits in nicely enough thematically, but 2 steam tanks would probably do well enough with the extra ranged damage.

I don't care much for standard cannons and volley guns unreliability to even shoot is scary, so with this I get the benefit of the ordinators +1 to hit for all war machines which helps even more if I get extra shots from Greywater allegiance. 

Edited by Gwendar