30 minutes ago, Not-not-kenny said:

The new battlemage spells are quite interesting, though I'm not crazy about the change to wildform (I'm gonna miss turning my horde of swordsmen into unstoppable killing machines). 

I like that spears have a buff too, might mean they'll some more play.

I like the new wild form makes those charges a lot better. Combine with the the sorc who can make a unit run and charge, and now you have easy cogs.

47 minutes ago, Thalassic Monstrosity said:

I hate to be a bother but can anyone tell me if Freeguild Guard change at all?

Militia Weapons gone.  Counter-charge with drummer replaced with standard +1 run/charge

Halberd wounds on 3+ instead of 4+

Massed Ranks changed to +1 for 10+ models and +2 for 20+. No +3

Sword and Shield still gives +1 save (any phase) but no generic shield re-roll

Spears now get +1 to hit against enemy units that charged in the same turn

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Charlo said:

Also did Drakespawn Chariots always cause D3 Mortal wounds each on the charge ( on a 2+)

Used to deal damage once for the whole unit of charriots rolling a dice per enemy model and mw on 6s.

Now each charriot model of the unit rolls 2+ to deal d3 MW each at an enemy unit

2 hours ago, mmimzie said:

I think the darkshard look amazing. Combine with run and charge from the sorc and potantially auto run six, they have so much reach. Can put 10 wounds on a hero just about anywhere on the table. More would if they arnt getting look outsir. 

Fair enough. I think I was just disappointed by the huge grab bag of keywords. I thought maybe they would have some sort of consolidation, so you wouldn’t have to bring, say, three different styles of heroes for each and every army just to buff their section. Still feels like I would be building a single army focused on one force with other allies rather than one coherent mixed race army if that makes sense.

like, in order to make the greatswords good you have to bring a general, but that leaves less room for the dark shard force I want to make, which also makes fitting in an artillery piece that much harder. It’s just a strange mess I feel.

I've reviewed all the warscrolls but haven't really gotten a chance to crunch the numbers yet, and it's honestly not that fruitful to do so until we know what the points costs are. Overall though it certainly seems that most warscrolls improved, with some improving substantially. Cavalry in particular seems to have made out nicely, and the Luminark is really interesting with the new version of the beam ability coupled with access to a very powerful signature spell. Also note that the Hurricanum's portents of battle measures range to the model now and not the unit, so it's MUCH more awkward to use. 

A few warscrolls really don't make sense to me. I have no idea what is going on with Executioners. Unless they've dropped in points substantially, I don't see how they measure up against any of the other elite infantry choices. 

I'd caution people not to sleep on Black Ark Corsairs. If they have the same cost that they do currently, they are really quite efficient. Their melee profile is fine at baseline, and when buffed with the new fleetmaster command ability their efficiency shoots up to VERY high levels. They certainly aren't Plague Monks, but they aren't as far off as you might think. With bows, their ranged efficiency is also very high -- albeit at very short range. I suspect there will be better ranged options out there. Regardless, unless they have gone up in points, just Corsairs with a Fleetmaster is a pretty strong choice for blending light targets... and it's very likely they will benefit from some allegiance abilities that we haven't even seen yet.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Acid_Nine said:

Fair enough. I think I was just disappointed by the huge grab bag of keywords. I thought maybe they would have some sort of consolidation, so you wouldn’t have to bring, say, three different styles of heroes for each and every army just to buff their section. Still feels like I would be building a single army focused on one force with other allies rather than one coherent mixed race army if that makes sense.

like, in order to make the greatswords good you have to bring a general, but that leaves less room for the dark shard force I want to make, which also makes fitting in an artillery piece that much harder. It’s just a strange mess I feel.

Interesting the way i see the army is it's 1-2 units lead by thier specific character. As most buffs are single unit or pretty range restricted. The way AoS works, outside of shooting you want big units doing big things, and thus you aren't likely 2 have 2 units of great swords side by side all trying to swing into the same combat, more likely you''ll angle to just have 1 great sword squad with shooting support. 

I think you have modules and you can kinda plug and play the army.

1 sorc with attached blackguard or dark shards as offensive units able to move quickly and hit hard. 
Battlemage (hysh or ghur) with attached eternal guard or free guild (depends on points which will be better, right now it's looking eternal guard) as a cheap but huge screens that can take a punch. 

As you say you can take the greatswords with your hero, but i just don't see the rangeds working out in your favor to have 2 big great sword units running around  trying to stay wholly within that hero. 

So i see it as detachments with some mixed synergy between them. Not to mention some of the syngeries need CP to work, and thus you might quickly find yourself CP starved.

Edited by mmimzie
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Thalassic Monstrosity said:

Thank you! Were the rumors of a General on Demigryph true?

Doesn't look like it, friendsman. You can see the included models in the CoS battletome a few pages back, and the Demigryph warscroll doesn't have an option for a character in the unit. Would have been cool, though!

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, overtninja said:

Doesn't look like it, friendsman. You can see the included models in the CoS battletome a few pages back, and the Demigryph warscroll doesn't have an option for a character in the unit. Would have been cool, though!

It's a pity; I have a Marius Lietdorf I was hoping to put on the back of a Demigryph. I suppose I can try mounting him on a Griffon instead...

42 minutes ago, Knight Scáthach of Fimm said:

It may be a typo, but handgunners went to Bravery 4 while Crossbowmen are Bravery 5. Now technically, they would be more likely to be less experienced/ cheaper troops if using handguns, compared to crossbows and bows, but I doubt this is the case. This is based on the historical context of guns vs bows.

Yeah I'd imagine that to be a typo. I doubt there'd be a substantial experience difference between them. Between say crossbows and bows, sure, but not handguns and crossbows.

Oh boy! Reading through you guys posts, I believe for people like me who mostly want to play old school Empire focused army, with a little bit of this and that from the rest, there has been much in terms of improvements.  Greatswords and Demis especially, being some of my favorite  units from before.
Since I tend to build more thematic lists then competitive cheese ones, I am REALLY looking forward to picking this book up once it hits the shelves

Judging by warscrolls alone and the Hammerhal rules, I am satisfied with the new book. Not even counting what we don't know yet. I imagine points won't be fluctuating by much. I did bait myself into buying another box of demis and converting a guildsmarshal but now i have 9 demis and a fancy preceptor.

I'm glad that repainting my freeguild as Hammerhal paid off, because that would have sucked if it hadn't!