1 hour ago, BrocknerTheBear said:

So I'm going to assume (with a heavy heart) that militia weapons are gone as an option for freeguild guard now.

I really hope people are happy for me to still use my unit of 20 as another option. It took forever to model them all.

Still this book couldn't have come at a better time. As it pre orders on my local GW stores birthday so I can order that and the stormcast knight questor to go into my city army too :)

I doubt they'll be in the guard warscroll, but I'm thinking about playing mine as corsairs w. handbows - gives me a reason to convert up a cool hero to count as a fleetmaster.

56 minutes ago, Envyus said:

I Iuess the only real casualty I care about then is the Witch Hunter. 

I'm leaning hard on "counts as".  Once the rules are gone, it opens up the model as a counts as.  Why not use the Witch Hunter as and Assassin.  Those rules will work well to represent him and should be useful.

I'm planning on doing a lot of old high elves as something, not sure what yet.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kevin K said:

I'm leaning hard on "counts as".  Once the rules are gone, it opens up the model as a counts as.  Why not use the Witch Hunter as and Assassin.  Those rules will work well to represent him and should be useful.

I'm planning on doing a lot of old high elves as something, not sure what yet.

Personally I am converting mine into a General - with a decided steampunk aesthetic

4 hours ago, Chumphammer said:

Phoenix guard Battleline
Frosthearts with Anointed 
Some fire support (Maybe stormcast)
Phoenix Battalions (heals units within 12)
Lifeswarm (Heals D6 over D3 as special endless spell rules for freecities)

Sounds like fun :)

Don't mind me. Just gonna set this Lifeswarm over by my little angry dwarf friend with his orange mohawk. 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • LOVE IT! 2

6 hours ago, RandyRyan said:

Wow. I thought I just wanted rules to use my Empire guys but now I'm ready to throw all the money at an Anvilgard monster mash/pirate army...

Just don't look at how many start collecting boxes you need to fill out 2k.  4 start collecting boxes, taking everything as the privateer options, is between 1290 and 1400 pts (and I don't think anyone really wants 4 fleetmasters).:P

36 minutes ago, decker_cky said:

Just don't look at how many start collecting boxes you need to fill out 2k.  4 start collecting boxes, taking everything as the privateer options, is between 1290 and 1400 pts (and I don't think anyone really wants 4 fleetmasters).:P

Haha for me it's more of a painting project, I play once every few months but paint quite a bit!

In the meantime I have about 4000 points of Empire on square bases...

So far so good, I'm already polishing my artillery and wait for opportunities to grab some handgunners for my Greywater army, but also whille taking a bus to work today I read how Stormkeeps where established around realmgates and that made me think about also building a force of brave Azyrheim...ians?, who first went into re-couqered realms and they fought and laboured alongside Stormcast to rebuild Sigmar's domain.

10 hours ago, Envyus said:

It's nothing to do with Counts as. The Witch Hunter is super iconic, and it's kind of a shame they appear to be leaving the game. A new Witch Hunter model would be cool. 

Especially when there's already a lot of Black Library stories, including several full-blown novels, featuring them as main characters, cover art and all.

BLPROCESSED-The-Silver-Shard-Royakl.jpgBLHorror-Aug28-DarkHarvest.jpg

Edited by Clan's Cynic

A new witch hunter model will definitely come at some point. It's one of GW's most iconic models and well known in its IP. Perhaps once the battletomes are all up to date, then AoS will be in line for sporadic new releases like they're doing for psychic awakening for 40k, and a new witch hunter model will be one of them.

17 minutes ago, Gorks Pokin' Finger said:

A new witch hunter model will definitely come at some point. It's one of GW's most iconic models and well known in its IP. Perhaps once the battletomes are all up to date, then AoS will be in line for sporadic new releases like they're doing for psychic awakening for 40k, and a new witch hunter model will be one of them.

I don't know. I suspect they will make a grand total of 0 sculpts for the factions in this book, and dump them when the molds wear out 

We are still in the establishment phase of Age of Sigmar; the whole game is still being built. We're almost at the end of the construction period, where every army gets their tome etc, so yes, in the future when all armies are fleshed out and have their rules we will most definitely get new sporadic kits; whether or not they are re-sculpts is another question. GW are rather preoccupied with getting the groundwork done for the most part, but 40k is a good analogy, since as far as I know, every codex is out.

• Like 2

Lets stop squating on other folk's hobby. Let GW do the squating, its their job. 

K think units like witch hunters might make a come back could be cool. 

Looks like deepkin won't beable to be appart of cities thanks to a facebook coment on the anvils post. That said they did hint at possible allies for cities armies. 

11 minutes ago, michu said:

So? It's being 40k doesn't mean anything. But it shows that GW can update armies withou releasing new Battletome or Codex. 

Replying because I am prompted. GW has cut a lot more from what they had in fantasy than they ever did in 40k, and they have shown that they do not hesitate to expire entire armies almost without warning.

If they planned it, this would be the moment. As it is, the Witch hunter is part of a faction that has very little left 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, zilberfrid said:

If they planned it, this would be the moment. As it is, the Witch hunter is part of a faction that has very little left 

That's not how GW works.  They update sculpts when some of their sculptors make one not because someone wanted to update them. Miniatures first, rules second. And look at the WHU - people thought that Gitmobz are done but here we are.

15 minutes ago, michu said:

That's not how GW works.  They update sculpts when some of their sculptors make one not because someone wanted to update them. Miniatures first, rules second. And look at the WHU - people thought that Gitmobz are done but here we are.

GW isn't an artistic commune. They update sculpts based on what they think will sell the best. Artistic input has its place, But they have an eye on what will sell first, second, third, and fourth. Profits first. Miniatures second. Rules last.

• Thanks 2

So reading the last 10+ or so pages of catching up, I must say I am looking forward to this. Though admittedly this time it might be worth investing into the data cards, seeing just how many units will be viable to choose from.

Seems like Its finally time to unfreeze my Nippon-Cathay (Niphay ? Catpon ? :D ) Empire project.  Finally after all those years (I started the project just before WFB died, leaving me with a bunch of unusable miniatures) I can bring them out on the table, and with how the game setting for CoS is currently being presented I can justify all of them having distinctly different looks, by making my own City!

Sigmar be praised ! The God Emperor protects !

Edited by Myrdin
  • Like 5

28 minutes ago, stratigo said:

GW isn't an artistic commune. They update sculpts based on what they think will sell the best. Artistic input has its place, But they have an eye on what will sell first, second, third, and fourth. Profits first. Miniatures second. Rules last.

I'd say fluff follows rules, even.

But yeah, this seems the way they work. There is a bit of trouble because GW seems not that good at guessing which part of falling sales is a market trend, and which part is a direct result of not giving that faction any attention.

15 minutes ago, Myrdin said:

So reading the last 10+ or so pages of catching up, I must say I am looking forward to this. Though admittedly this time it might be worth investing into the data cards, seeing just how many units will be viable to choose from.

Seems like Its finally time to unfreeze my Nippon-Cathay (Niphay ? Catpon ? :D ) Empire project.  Finally after all those years (I started the project just before WFB died, leaving me with a bunch of unusable miniatures) I can bring them out on the table, and with how the game setting for CoS is currently being presented I can justify all of them having distinctly different looks, by making my own City!

Sigmar be praised ! The God Emperor protects !

I would be very interested to see that!

For me, my mini building and painting has stalled because I don't know what to make and in which way (plus preparations for a weekend of running around in LARP gear inspired on late 15th century north italians, which actually would fit Freeguild quite well).

I now know I need to make at least two generals with greatswords, so that's something I can do.

• Thanks 1