"What’s more, any endless spells you cast with a Cities of Sigmar wizard will immediately count as being empowered by their associated Realm, meaning your Purple Suns, Burning Heads and Suffocating Gravetides are even stronger than those used by other armies. "

WOAH.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, PraetorDragoon said:

Battleline Hydras? That sounds promising.

I figure its a very good way to help reinforce taking the Cities specific models and not ending up with a stormcast army with a hydra. 

It's neat ideas like that which have helped, in my view, save AoS from the soup problems that plague 40K. Even though in theory AoS has even more soup potential, the way its undertaken really doesn't reward it so heavily. It becomes an optional fun part of the game rather than a core powergame 

Just now, Charlo said:

"What’s more, any endless spells you cast with a Cities of Sigmar wizard will immediately count as being empowered by their associated Realm, meaning your Purple Suns, Burning Heads and Suffocating Gravetides are even stronger than those used by other armies. "

WOAH.

I figure this is their way of giving Cities a reward for not getting any endless spell models of their own. Reinforce them with more powerful (as standard) regular endless spells even if the realm rules aren't being used in the game. It also nicely game wise represents the increased lore and power of the Cities Mages and their powerful Colleges/Covens etc... 

AoSCitiesFocus-Sep23-BannerHeldHigh1wnx.jpg.09cd9892300154aac121ff90be652879.jpg

This Hammerhal ability is really thematic. The defenders of the city holding their banners high is a cool image. 

The Greywater Fastness abilities also sound great for black poweder themed armies. Artillery supported by units of Handgunners and a few Steam Tanks sounds like fun. 

6 minutes ago, Overread said:

I figure its a very good way to help reinforce taking the Cities specific models and not ending up with a stormcast army with a hydra. 

It's neat ideas like that which have helped, in my view, save AoS from the soup problems that plague 40K. Even though in theory AoS has even more soup potential, the way its undertaken really doesn't reward it so heavily. It becomes an optional fun part of the game rather than a core powergame 

We will see how it goes. 

ok so "Cities of Sigmar armies are a little bit different, combining a vast range of sub-factions, a set of universal allegiance abilities that affect everyone, then a further set of optional allegiance abilities that let you dedicate your army to your favourite city. "

so do you think this means each sub-faction gets an allegiance ability (your freeguild models get X and your wanderer units get Y) in addition to a selected universal allegiance ability and then a city allegiance. or are the sub-factions just for unit abilities that affect other units, and you get the universal and the city allegiances.

"each of these mini-factions retains powerful internal synergies that reward you for taking several of their units – so your Sorceress on Black Dragon might be particularly potent when combined with some Black Guard."-this makes me lean towards the latter. what do you gies think?

Edited by Turin Turambar
wander to wanderer, mistyped

I knew it was going to be hard to keep up...

Pile of info today! Glad the doom and gloom was not true, these abilities look awesome! This has so many potential combinations it is crazy. Drakespawn curse tables? Extra spell lores? Sounds like each city has a battalion (at LEAST one?) 

Retinues are simple but awesome, MUCH harder to hero snipe! Also good for thematic conversions.

Both Hammrhal, Greywater, and Anvilguard seem solid from what little we've seen ao far. The idea of getting a dozen command points from a really lucky roll in Hammerhal has me laughing in glee! (So glad, because Hammerhal was boring before!)

my favorite bit is the talk of magical cabals in Hallowheart. Ooooh, I neeed to know, show me the wizardy goodness.

Here is to hoping there is a lore for each Realm, or something similar. Even a half lore for each would be beautiful! Gonna cast with all the colors of the wind! lol

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Gecktron said:

AoSCitiesFocus-Sep23-BannerHeldHigh1wnx.jpg.09cd9892300154aac121ff90be652879.jpg

This Hammerhal ability is really thematic. The defenders of the city holding their banners high is a cool image. 

The Greywater Fastness abilities also sound great for black poweder themed armies. Artillery supported by units of Handgunners and a few Steam Tanks sounds like fun. 

Try telling that to my regular opponents. 🙄😉

• Haha 4

Oh, I take it back. The allegiance abilities are actually quite interesting!

I am going to type a bit more:

Since more squatting could not be ruled out earlier, I am going to look up what is safe:

• Disposessed: All safe between start collecting and the pictures of battleline. 
  • Wanderers
    • Sisters of the watch
    • Sisters of the thorn
    • Eternal guard 
    • Rangers safe
    • Nomad Prince can't be left out, wild riders probably safe
  • High elves
    • Phoenix guard
    • Shadow warriors
    • Phoenixes
  • Freeguild
    • Guard
    • Greatswords
    • Crossbowmen
    • Handgunners
    • General
    • Flagellants
    • Demigryph knights
    • Pistoleers
    • Outriders
    • General on griffin
    • Some sort of wizard
  • Dark elves
    • Corsairs
    • Fleet master
    • Bleakswords
    • Dreadspears
    • Darkshards
    • Both chariots
    • Executioners
    • Drakespawn knights
    • Dark Riders
    • Hydras
    • Dragon riders
    •  
  • Ironweld
    • Steam tank
    • Volleygun
    • Rocket battery
    • Cogsmith
    • Gyros

There is also a mechanic of units gaining keywords of the city, which would be a massive boon.

Edited by zilberfrid
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, Turin Turambar said:

ok so "Cities of Sigmar armies are a little bit different, combining a vast range of sub-factions, a set of universal allegiance abilities that affect everyone, then a further set of optional allegiance abilities that let you dedicate your army to your favourite city. "

so do you think this means each sub-faction gets an allegiance ability (your freeguild models get X and your wanderer units get Y) in addition to a selected universal allegiance ability and then a city allegiance. or are the sub-factions just for unit abilities that affect other units, and you get the universal and the city allegiances.

"each of these mini-factions retains powerful internal synergies that reward you for taking several of their units – so your Sorceress on Black Dragon might be particularly potent when combined with some Black Guard."-this makes me lean towards the latter. what do you gies think?

Yeah, I think this just means Wanderer heroes have synergy with wanderer units (same for Free People, etc...). I dont think there will be another layer of allegiance abilities besides the general CoS and Free City ones. 

7 minutes ago, Gecktron said:

Artillery Train of Nuln is back!!

EDIT: But there is one sad thing. As we don't get any terrain with this book it means one of rumours was wrong and we probably won't see the best part of it - 4 pages of conversion ideas. It still can happen, it's just less probably now.

Edited by michu

Aye I think it'll be:

• Cities of Sigmar Generic abilities (retinues etc)
  • Internal synergy with keywords on similar units
  • Allegiance abilities for the specific cities
  • Lots of BATTLELINE IF, but only in specific cities too (you probably won't have dark elves in the Phoenneccium for example).

Lots of BATTLELINE IF, but only in specific cities too (you probably won't have dark elves in the Phoenneccium for example).

All of it is Battleline – although you might need to choose specific Generals to lead your army to unlock some of it. This means that your Cities of Sigmar army could consist of almost nothing but lumbering Steam Tanks, rapid-striking cavalry or anything else you fancy, built around how you like to play.

Battleline looks to more about your General than City though I think City might lock what Battalion you can use,  in order to incentivise what units work well (and are fluffy) in a city.

I already have ideas for 8 different cities and one Azyrheim Exploratory Force (Nuln colour scheme).

EDIT: Short summary of them:

- Al-Nephtis -Egyptian/Persian theme, Hysh, technology based on aetherquartz and sun-stone with laser cannons and guns

- Pyreos - Greek theme, Hysh, city of philosophers and wizards, High Aelves, Wanderers, ScE

- Greysun - Phoenician theme, Hysh-Ulgu, Dark Aelves and KO

- N'bal - African theme, Chamon, Humans and Fyreslayers

- Tanatl - Mezoamerican theme, Chamon, Dark Aelves and Seraphon

- Middenheld - old empire style + duardin and maybe halflings, Shyish, founded in moving mountain

- Farspire - military sea port, Ghyran, small contingent of High Aelves, Sylvaneth and ScE

- Karak Az-Karag - Ghur, Dispossessed and Fyreslayers, founded in frozen volcano

Edited by michu
  • Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

1 minute ago, zilberfrid said:

I am not going to abide by the scheme of a city, I am probably going to cycle through different cities anyway.

See I can't stand that, unless you're just trying to find the most suitable for your own scheme. Most of the time, it's people taking the strongest option and not caring for the city itself. Now I know there's nothing inherently wrong with that, I just really dislike the notion. Especially if it was a clearly painted Hammerhal army playing as Anvilgard, that's especially irking. Personally, I redid my army to match a ruleset to solidify the coherency of my army.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Knight Scáthach of Fimm said:

See I can't stand that, unless you're just trying to find the most suitable for your own scheme. Most of the time, it's people taking the strongest option and not caring for the city itself. Now I know there's nothing inherently wrong with that, I just really dislike the notion. Especially if it was a clearly painted Hammerhal army playing as Anvilgard, that's especially irking. Personally, I redid my army to match a ruleset to solidify the coherency of my army.

I get ya and I agree. I often just let people do as they please, though, as long as everything is clear and consistent. Less bickering that way.

For me, my plan is a small core military and 8 districts each with their own group of mages and themed around a Realm. The idea would be 9 "mini lists" of about 1000 points. Then mix and match to create an army. With such diversity, I may need to flit to different cities, but who knows. Time will tell.

Just now, Knight Scáthach of Fimm said:

If I end up at another cities' paint scheme, that's by accident. I have my own ideas about my city, and it's not going to be a single Free City (I used the city generator and picked some stuff). I will make an army that abides by the rules of a city though...

My idea is to have two cities that grew close to a realm gate. They sometimes have strife, which they will settle on a specific field where soldiers do not die upon receiving their wounds (I have enough to field two ME armies so I can play at home), but will come to one another's aid when neccessary, explaining why sometimes differently painted soldiers will be on my team in the shop.

Both will have a different allegiance template, and I will play a few times to see which ones I like the best. As I am quite new, I simply can't tell at a glance.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Knight Scáthach of Fimm said:

With Imperial Guard, I made up my own scheme and cycled through playing the different regiments to try out the rules. I want to be able to try out a bunch of different builds and rule sets and really experience everything the battletome has to offer. Though I understand its annoying when someone is playing a force designed to look like Group A as Group B, hence why I avoided any of the official schemes.  

• Like 1

And that is the most logical approach. I can understand that these custom painted marines use Salamanders rules today and Raven Guard tommorow but don't try to tell me that those red marines with angel wings and blood drops are Ultramarines - they're Blood Angels.