2 hours ago, zilberfrid said:

Well, GW putting it out in a FAQ does give an air of ligitimacy, as this is also the place where official rules errata and clarifications end up. In its most generous form, it states "You must use the correct species for a unit" invalidating warriors as guard and thunderers as handgunners.

I agree that it's nonsense, but it is what's written.

I wouldn’t pay too much attention. They obviously don’t themselves. An Orion/revenant themed Prime is obviously not human, but is fair game. Same with a Flamespyre Phoenix ridden by a Fyreslayer. I’m sure as long as you put thought and effort into the conversion and it resembles what it is supposed to be, it’s ok.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Grailstorm said:

I wouldn’t pay too much attention. They obviously don’t themselves. An Orion/revenant themed Prime is obviously not human, but is fair game. Same with a Flamespyre Phoenix ridden by a Fyreslayer. I’m sure as long as you put thought and effort into the conversion and it resembles what it is supposed to be, it’s ok.

This, also there was that dude that used LotR ranger models for glade guard a couple years back and didn't swap any bits or add anything. He even got an army focus article after the GT because they liked his army so much. 

Honestly if anything I think GW is extremely lenient with proxies/conversions if the model is still 100% GW. 

28 minutes ago, Mcprowlington said:

This, also there was that dude that used LotR ranger models for glade guard a couple years back and didn't swap any bits or add anything. He even got an army focus article after the GT because they liked his army so much. 

Honestly if anything I think GW is extremely lenient with proxies/conversions if the model is still 100% GW. 

It is a relief. I will refrain from that topic from now on. Still not too keen on the FAQ, but what can you do. I'll continue converting anything under the sun to make it my own. I'll try to hide that I sometimes use stuff that is not GW (like kitty litter and other basing material and a few arms, heads and legs).

Edited by zilberfrid

19 minutes ago, SentinelGuy said:

Has there been any news about how stormcast will feature in the new book? Do you think it's likely that they will be relegated to allies?

The article makes me think they'll be something between Allies and full members of the cities: perhaps conditions under which they'll gain the <Free city> keyword? Like how Slaves to Darkness can get the chaos gods keywords. (Though I should clarify, this is soley speculation.)

Edited by LeSwordfish

Warning! Shameful self-promotion ahead:

I've recently started a Cities of Sigmar focused blog, where on the release of the new battletome I plan to post updated versions of the old guides I'd previously posted here on TGA, as well as event reports, reviews and editorials.

While I wait for the new book to hit, the blog's currently dedicated to player army spotlights and WFB soapboxing, but I thought I'd get the ball rolling and link it here anyway. Here's the url:

https://doublemisfire.blogspot.com/

If you've got a cool army you'd like to see featured, any feedback, or a suggestion for an article please let me know. :) 

• Like 6
  • LOVE IT! 1

On 8/7/2019 at 8:58 PM, Double Misfire said:

A demigryph general would be neat. Can't imagine what I'd dig out to use as one... 🤷‍♂️

x3OWdKM.jpg

Glad I'm not the only one thinking Kislev.

I was considering throwing the Ice Queen on a Black Dragon and painting it as an Ice Dragon, but will see where Darkling Covens end up in all of this first.

• Like 3

Whatever happens, I want to be able to model a badass elf lord on a giant wolf as a mounted general. If the option is given I'll happily convert one - but I'm not touching my Wanderers until I learn more about this book coming out. I've got a full Sylvaneth army that I've built over the last year or so, so Living City is pretty much a no-brainer, but I'd rather run a Ghur-themed normal dudes army so we'll see how that pans out.

Also, totally looking forward to using wizards with varied spells, I'd love to get Wildform back to use on my Wild Rider missile.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Double Misfire said:

Is there currently a Cities of Sigmar WhatsApp group going, and if not would anyone be interested in one?

Also @Chris Tomlin clean your messages out so I can send you one please! ;) 

Would have some interest. Free cities are such a great army for sharing conversions too since with their lore they could look like anything!

• Like 2

So, I was looking through what was left, and I noticed the similarities in the dark elf and free people lineups

• Dark riders vs Outriders 
  • Drakespawn knights vs Demigryphs (though 10 vs 12 wounds per unit) 
  • Bleakswords vs guards with swords
  • Dreadspears vs guards with spears
  • Black guard  vs guards with halberds (though the black guard is more elite)
  • Executioners vs Greatswords
  • Sorceress vs Battlemage
  • Sorceress on black dragon vs Battlemage on griffin
  • Dreadlord on black dragon vs General on griffin
  • Black Ark Fleetmaster vs General (though their stats do differ quite significantly)
  • Militia guard vs Black ark Corsairs

Now there are differences, Dark elves do not have handgunners, pistoleers, artillery (two types), luminarch or hurricanum, Free people do not have chariots (two types), assassin or hydras (two types) and the non-numbered abilities differ significantly from the counterpart, but statwise, they are not that different from one another.

An option could be that they mostly receive the same warscrolls (Luminarch and Hurricanum could maybe share with the chariots, and seeing the hydras as fire spitting counterparts to artillery is somewhat pleasing), and that it's up to the player to decide whether to be flamboyant or edgy.

This would mean we have a lot less warscrolls, and it could function more like a regular battletome.

We could even have the phoenixes as another option for the general/dreadlord and battlemage/sorceress, and the phoenix guard as a brighter variant of the black guard, but retaining specifically these models from the high aelves still puzzles me a bit.

Edited by zilberfrid

36 minutes ago, zilberfrid said:

So, I was looking through what was left, and I noticed the similarities in the dark elf and free people lineups

• Dark riders vs Outriders 
  • Drakespawn knights vs Demigryphs (though 10 vs 12 wounds per unit) 
  • Bleakswords vs guards with swords
  • Dreadspears vs guards with spears
  • Black guard  vs guards with halberds (though the black guard is more elite)
  • Executioners vs Greatswords
  • Sorceress vs Battlemage
  • Sorceress on black dragon vs Battlemage on griffin
  • Dreadlord on black dragon vs General on griffin
  • Black Ark Fleetmaster vs General (though their stats do differ quite significantly)
  • Militia guard vs Black ark Corsairs

Now there are differences, Dark elves do not have handgunners, pistoleers, artillery (two types), luminarch or hurricanum, Free people do not have chariots (two types), assassin or hydras (two types) and the non-numbered abilities differ significantly from the counterpart, but statwise, they are not that different from one another.

An option could be that they mostly receive the same warscrolls (Luminarch and Hurricanum could maybe share with the chariots, and seeing the hydras as fire spitting counterparts to artillery is somewhat pleasing), and that it's up to the player to decide whether to be flamboyant or edgy.

This would mean we have a lot less warscrolls, and it could function more like a regular battletome.

We could even have the phoenixes as another option for the general/dreadlord and battlemage/sorceress, and the phoenix guard as a brighter variant of the black guard, but retaining specifically these models from the high aelves still puzzles me a bit.

Interesting, but unlikely given GW's current game design m/o. There are lots of Stormcast units (basic infantry and basic infantry in dresses spring to mind), and even units spread between different Skaven clans that could steamline down into shared warscrolls but don't.

We're currently looking at an estimated 60 unit warscroll cards (everything still sold + riderless options for the Phoenixes and wizard wagons + the Excelsior Warpriest and his dog), which isn't that many more than the current Stormcast count.

50 minutes ago, Thalassic Monstrosity said:

I wonder if we'll keep Darkshards, Bleakswords, and Dreadspears as three seperate units or combine them together?

Quite probably the Darkshards will be split. Ranged troups are different from melee ones. If only because Meeting Engagements would be absolutely dreadful with very few different warscrolls (only two units from a warscroll).

• Like 1

ALERT! ALERT! 

The model purchase list for Free Peoples on the GW site has let the cat out of the bag, here is a link to it that show the 21 models that are now Free Peoples: New Free People lists.  Of course no change on the warscroll builder yet, that will come in conjunction with the Cities of Sigmar battle tome.  

Not sure How I feel about it, but what the hey, if they make changes we make changes.  How that new book is along shortly. 

• LOVE IT! 1

1 hour ago, Matador said:

ALERT! ALERT! 

The model purchase list for Free Peoples on the GW site has let the cat out of the bag, here is a link to it that show the 21 models that are now Free Peoples: New Free People lists.  Of course no change on the warscroll builder yet, that will come in conjunction with the Cities of Sigmar battle tome.  

Not sure How I feel about it, but what the hey, if they make changes we make changes.  How that new book is along shortly. 

These changes, to both this and the Aelves, were made a long while ago. Ironweld, Collegiate, and Devoted are in the Free Peoples, all the other Aelves together in one group. This condensing happened...I forget, near the beginning of the year, I think? But yes, it does point to at least how the general grouping may be. With the cull now come and gone, we can also see who is left standing a bit easier. 

On 8/13/2019 at 3:15 PM, Double Misfire said:

Right @zilberfrid, @Lightbox@Aipaca and anyone else interested - I've created a Cities of Sigmar WhatsApp group, PM me for the link and spread the word. :) 

I am curious, is there anything on WhatsApp that adds to the conversation? Wouldn't it be easier and better for the community to just have one big place to gather together and discuss the Cities of Sigmar? I don't care where it is, but I sure would like as unified of a community as possible, especially given the concerns and sadness regarding what has happened so far.

On a positive note! I have been meaning to post more on this thread (real life and the general backlash of the cull threw me off) to keep the discussion active and positive. While we don't know how all this will end up, we do understand the base concept, and that is plenty enough for lore and speculation! Here is a bit of my ideas I've had over the past few weeks.

With the High Elves getting removed BUT their Dark Elf mirrors staying, I really think they might have a more generic "Aelf" warscroll to cover a lot of what was culled. Order Draconis and Order Serpentis were almost identical in many ways. I can see a Warscroll or Allegiance ability or something that allows you to choose either a "Light" idea or a "Dark" idea, giving you a similar bonus as the current differences. 

So, a "Aelf Knighty Order" warscroll, where all the basic stats are there, but you have a choice of either a choice of "Gleaming Armor" or "Shadowy Armor" for equipment, giving you either the bonuses save rerolls on either shooting or combat, respectively.

Or they buff the whole Aelf line and just fuse all the abilities. All cavalry rerolls saves of 1 and 2 all the time, all Dragonlords have a command ability to reroll hits AND wounds and the horn is just a static ability for all. The designer HAD mentioned at the preview that Cavalry was especially pathetic and they wanted to buff them.

As for what I plan to do with my city, I have an odd mix. I have mostly Freeguild, a bit of Dispossessed (with a strong desire for more of the current, gorgeous models...) and a smattering of aelves (mostly Order Draconis, as they were my "failed" Blood Knight conversions). 

My unopened box of Glade Guard will probably become Shadow Warriors and maybe some character conversions for the later. I started a Sisters of the Thorn conversion to make them Centaurs (got the idea from Warcraft, which will probably have quite a few potential nods to in my conversions by the end of it). I have an Ironbreaker box that will probably be Ironbreakers (have wanted a unit of them since I started Fantasy...) but I want to use the Irondrake guns SOMEWHERE and I already have Freeguild handgunners. The old dwarf warriors and thunderers will probably join the Freeguild Guard and Handgunner respectively to create a more cosmopolitan feel.

For lore, I am still hammering out the ideas, but this is what I have cooking so far: The Realm of Light is one of my favorite Realms, just for how bizarre and surreal it has the potential to be. As well, my favorite aspects of the Cities of Sigmar idea has been the cosmopolitan melding of different races and cultures. This builds into the idea of Light and Prisms refracting into a beautiful rainbow of color.

So my yet-unnamed city will probably be focused around a giant, magical Prism. Since my favorite factions for this are the Collegiate Arcane and the Dispossessed, I had an idea of an Ancient Duardin hold that was built around this massive Prism. The Prism refracts the natural Light magic of the Realm into all 8 "winds" of Magic. Word of this bizarre refraction of Magic spread, and mages from all across the realms came to study the wonder. This irritated the duardin, who viewed the Prism as a gift from Grungni and Grimnir (yes, ignoring the fact that it was probably Teclis, Tyrion, or just natural magic that made it. The Aelves tried to correct the duardin, but learned it was best to just...not). 

To disperse the coming rise of conflict between the pilgrimage of mages and the duardin, a enterprising duardin stepped forward and proposed a combined effect. The mages would be given free reign to view and study the Prism, but the duardin would be the overall rulers of the Light within the hold's walls. This created a council of 8 that would rule over the city and the Prism. Each member of the council would be a skilled mage in their respective "wind", with a Duardin mage of Light as the highest voice in the council. Yes, I am making Duardin mages! 

As a secondary aspect of the city, I considered a nearby Realmgate that flickered between the 8 realms, keeping a solid "schedule" of routes to all 8 realms. This meant that as the realmgate flickered to the next realm, a scouting party would immediately go through to ensure the other side had remained in Order control. Adds a bit more...connection to the rest of the world.

So that is what I have so far. This makes a Mage/Duardin heavy combination that I really do like. It also allows me to create sub-factions within the city based around each Realm, letting my indecision win out by letting me do whatever idea suits my fancy! lol My long term hobby goal then is to have a core "Light" list and then 7 other smaller lists and groups based around each Realm. Mix it all, let the vastness of the realms bleed into each other! I am excited, I can't wait for the book!

What other ideas have people had? 

• Like 2