As promised, the two last pieces forgotten in the bottom of a drawer in my attic.

Damn, those minis were so good. I love the charriot loaded of many soldiers. Too bad GW is given up such units: no more charriot, same for the (fantastic) war mamoth of StD (love it, want it for my StD!!!). And this charriot look so good in a human army, it is so fluffy also.

I think that I'll rebase and (re) paint all this very old army wich still look good. (altar, tanks, griffon  show their age).

PS: I noticed that my old 2 metal tanks were the relaese 1, without even a turret. It seems tiny. But I can't find any size comparizon with the actual plastic, bigger, tank.

image.png.b1634b513b0ed77a24f859f5c6b9be2b.png

Edited by GeneralZero
  • Like 3
  • LOVE IT! 1

4 hours ago, GeneralZero said:

As promised, the two last pieces forgotten in the bottom of a drawer in my attic.

Good news is, the left one (the War Altar) actually still has rules, so no need to change it in any way.

And war wagon, as mentioned, would make a cool base for the hurricanum/luminark, it mainly needs a wizard on board. Or, given that Cities battletome will contain other races too, you can easily use it with one of the Aelf chariot rules, too. Or a second war altar, because who'd complain...

yep, but I just like the idea of pure old fashioned human army, with guns, knights, populated (horded) footmen schaff, canons, war machines... Even the half griffon feel weird: it should have been better in heavy horsemen (knights & co ). I hope that the rules will flavor this idea.

BTW, the new altar/hurricanum are way bigger than the olds chariots/altar. It is even worse with the old metal tank, tiny but weighting 10 times the new plastic one wich is twice as big.

While manipulating those old mini, I can't feel anything else than nostalgy of heavy metal soldiers: it feels weird after that to have a plastic mini in your hand, soooooooo light.

My current plan is to hold off until I get the book, then I might make a aelven city with wanderers as my core and have beasts to support them.

Right now I'm thinking a core of sisters of the watch and a couple of waywatchers then some sky cutters and a warden to lead them tied around a nomad prince with some eternal guard (and maybe some gryph hounds)

• Like 2

So  bored of waiting for new information to drop...

New idea to liven up the thread: post the generals of your Free City forces, along with any backstory or battlefield achievements.

9LGnwil.jpg

Spoiler

y4cBWSQ.jpg

kA4soa7.jpg

Here's my nameless, faceless Greywater Gunmaster (and accompanying grot). The mini was originally converted to represent Valius Maliti, the master architect who designed Greywater Fastness, before Valius was revealed to have been the Changeling all along in the Disciples of Tzeentch battletome! Now he's one of Valius's former apprentices, with an elaborate masked helm concealing a face horribly scared by the Changeling's warpfire, and a taste for inflicting vengeance on the forces of Chaos (while putting himself as far away from them at the back of my deployment zone as is possible).

• Like 4
  • LOVE IT! 2

Good idea @Double Misfire !

image.png.3b8c72048d3ef1989b8e8348489a1fd2.png

In the Free Principality of Veriithas, armies are often mustered by Master-Censor Noirythe. A ruthless elf, unanimously chosen by his peers in the Order of Censors to lead them. Equally well versed in the arts of war and politics, he "unofficially" rules over the Principality behind the scenes, along many allies and in conspiracy with occult forces of Chaos. Indeed, he is feared in the Glimmering City's Court and it is more or less common knowledge that Noirythe, through the Order, controls the whole underground economy of the region, including the Rat-Hole district of the capital, the illegal trafficking of Skoma in the Lake of Rumination or undercover slave-sales to the Idoneth Deepkin. Although intrigues, black mailing, death threats and back-stabbing are his favorite pass times (far less suspicious that direct confrontation), the Order is often called to arms to defend the Principality from the agitated northern frontier, where the Savage Lands of Ravage and Ruination home hostile forces. On such occasions, Noirythe leads his Order companions from the front, armed with the sacred spear Silence and unparalleled martial skill. He takes particular pleasure in slaughtering the dogs of the Tyrant of Azyr, showing only contempt for those slave-like lackeys that justify their actions by a pretended "war on Chaos", oblivious to their own ignorance and serfdom.

Edited by VBS
Oups, posted before typing :D
  • Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

I need to convert them. But I have a free city that gets taken over by slaanesh and the refugees and remainder of the army are trying to take it back. It was a mostly wanderers army but it might end up being expanded. The generals are the children of the ruling family 

Hello all,

I don't know much about the factions that make Free Cities, although I collected some Free People once, but I wonder: Do you think Free Cities could be a way to field some Middle Earth minis (humans, dwarves and elves)?

I've always been attracted to the Middle Earth minis because I love the LOTR setting, but I don't know anybody who plays this boardgame and my GW shop doesn't support it either.

But I thought it could be a way to play these miniatures as proxys for some Free Cities units. I don't think the GW shop would mind, as they could still sell me the Middle Earth minis.

What do you think?

Edit: nevermind, I found many answers there:

Cheers

Edited by Num

Yea I recommend not to use LOTR models as they are scaled to 25mm (and more realistic proportions) outside of monsters or using their goblins/orcs as grots.

Everyone else would look small compared to original WFB and even more out of scale with AoS

I mean check out how big this slaughterpriest is with a WFB model. Now imagine a 25mm tall elf!

Spoiler

794351-Witch%20Hunter%20and%20Slaughterp

I *heard* a conspiracy that LOTR is 25mm due to New Line Cinema making sure LOTR wasn't scale compatible with Warhammer to prevent brand mixing. I could be wrong though, thats one of those internet rumors

Edited by kenshin620

Yeah, it´s a shame as grim hammers would be an awesome addition to any army that includes dwarfs. I hoped that they will scalecreep up the Hobbit Range into 28mm but they didn´t from what I know. The Great Eagles may be worth a shot, in case GW doesn´t cut them, which I rather doubt as they do not belong directly in any one of the Aelf Factions I would give a shot for surviving the incoming cuts.

I am really looking forward the book now. I have 2 Thaines, 24 Dispossesed Warriors, 16 Miners, 20 Thunderers, 3 Cannons (2 Dwarven, one Imperial without a crew), 30 Glade Guards, 36 Glade Riders which will be proxied with something aelvish riderish I guess, 5 Wild Riders/Sisters of Thorn and also my 3k of Stormcasts. I thing this will be enough for a nice start :) I hopy as many units as possible survive the transition.

Edit: After the cuts of models I think the CoS Project has ended for me! See ya guys in the Blades of Khorne Sub :D

Edited by Charleston
  • Sad 1

20 hours ago, Num said:

Hello all,

I don't know much about the factions that make Free Cities, although I collected some Free People once, but I wonder: Do you think Free Cities could be a way to field some Middle Earth minis (humans, dwarves and elves)?

I've always been attracted to the Middle Earth minis because I love the LOTR setting, but I don't know anybody who plays this boardgame and my GW shop doesn't support it either.

But I thought it could be a way to play these miniatures as proxys for some Free Cities units. I don't think the GW shop would mind, as they could still sell me the Middle Earth minis.

What do you think?

Edit: nevermind, I found many answers there:

Cheers

As far as I know, the newest plastics like the dalemen did increase in size. Still smaller than current GW scale, more mid-90's. But that's only as far as I know.

I think yhat, if you make your whole army out of LOTR stuff, the internal size discrepancies are not too bad. You're just a community that became smaller in isolation, but do check whether the place where you game allows it, and whether you can make a whole army.

10 hours ago, zilberfrid said:

if you make your whole army out of LOTR stuff, the internal size discrepancies are not too bad.

That's the key I think.  You can do a whole lot of different stuff (LotR, 3rd party, kits from different eras), and it will all look perfectly fine as long as you don't try to mix and match.

You might even be able to mix and match between different unit types (say, a combined army of Empire troops and LotR Dwarves) but not with the same unit types (say, mixing Hammerers and Ironbreakers and LotR Dwarves).

• Like 1

Fireforge Games has some hard plastic fantasy scaled humans about to release for their Forgotten World (lol) game.  They're scheduled for retail release any week now.

nm-warriors.jpg
nm-bowmen.jpg
https://fireforge-games.com/forgotten-world-46

While they aren't GW, I think they fit a more heroic aesthetic just fine.  I've also been using a lot of reaper bones miniatures for various heroes and undead characters.  It's a pain to cut off the mould lines in the softer material, but the price was right.  And they're definitely the same early 2000s heroic fantasy aesthetic that warhammer is.

• Like 2

On 7/31/2019 at 7:18 PM, kenshin620 said:

I mean check out how big this slaughterpriest is with a WFB model. Now imagine a 25mm tall elf!

Hide contents

794351-Witch%20Hunter%20and%20Slaughterp

That's a really bad comparison example. The Slaughterpriest is not out of scale, but is supposed to be really huge, like a 2m+ tall human. Compare him to other Blades of Khorne models like Bloodreavers for example and you will see that he is much taller than them although they are both AoS releases.

4 hours ago, Nin Win said:

Fireforge Games has some hard plastic fantasy scaled humans about to release for their Forgotten World (lol) game.  They're scheduled for retail release any week now.

I mean heck Fireforge Games entire existence in the past seemed to hinge of poaching bretonnian players since gw was massively neglecting them. Funny how their first set were Teutonic Knights with very distinctive helmets.

Though yea I do also agree if you don't mix too much, any 25-32mm scale is fine. Plus there are 8 realms and who knows how big each realm is. That allows for massive amounts of variatio

As an example, here is a photo from real life of the tallest and shortest man in the 16th Royal Scots.

Spoiler

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSyWIKSr5sLsOEMj1OT8Zy

On 7/30/2019 at 10:20 AM, VBS said:

Good idea @Double Misfire !

image.png.3b8c72048d3ef1989b8e8348489a1fd2.png

In the Free Principality of Veriithas, armies are often mustered by Master-Censor Noirythe. A ruthless elf, unanimously chosen by his peers in the Order of Censors to lead them. Equally well versed in the arts of war and politics, he "unofficially" rules over the Principality behind the scenes, along many allies and in conspiracy with occult forces of Chaos. Indeed, he is feared in the Glimmering City's Court and it is more or less common knowledge that Noirythe, through the Order, controls the whole underground economy of the region, including the Rat-Hole district of the capital, the illegal trafficking of Skoma in the Lake of Rumination or undercover slave-sales to the Idoneth Deepkin. Although intrigues, black mailing, death threats and back-stabbing are his favorite pass times (far less suspicious that direct confrontation), the Order is often called to arms to defend the Principality from the agitated northern frontier, where the Savage Lands of Ravage and Ruination home hostile forces. On such occasions, Noirythe leads his Order companions from the front, armed with the sacred spear Silence and unparalleled martial skill. He takes particular pleasure in slaughtering the dogs of the Tyrant of Azyr, showing only contempt for those slave-like lackeys that justify their actions by a pretended "war on Chaos", oblivious to their own ignorance and serfdom.

This models look gorgeous! Can i ask what model/bits are those? It looks great, congrats!

3 hours ago, kenshin620 said:

I mean heck Fireforge Games entire existence in the past seemed to hinge of poaching bretonnian players since gw was massively neglecting them. Funny how their first set were Teutonic Knights with very distinctive helmets.

Though yea I do also agree if you don't mix too much, any 25-32mm scale is fine. Plus there are 8 realms and who knows how big each realm is. That allows for massive amounts of variatio

As an example, here is a photo from real life of the tallest and shortest man in the 16th Royal Scots.

Reveal hidden contents

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSyWIKSr5sLsOEMj1OT8Zy

according to a "tour guide to the realms" video GW put out a long time back, each realm is roughly equivalent to 3 earths.

8 hours ago, Nin Win said:

nm-warriors.jpg
nm-bowmen.jpg
https://fireforge-games.com/forgotten-world-46

While they aren't GW, I think they fit a more heroic aesthetic just fine.  I've also been using a lot of reaper bones miniatures for various heroes and undead characters.  It's a pain to cut off the mould lines in the softer material, but the price was right.  And they're definitely the same early 2000s heroic fantasy aesthetic that warhammer is.

the problem with the new fireforge fantasy stuff is that they come in boxes of 12.

the town mob might be useful for flagellants or militia though.

I guess it depends on what the cost ends up being.  If it ends up being that you use 10 miniatures and set the other two aside and maybe use them or maybe not but it's still a good deal, then it's worth it.

I don't think Fireforge's initial offerings were aimed at warhammer players at all.  They were historical plastics and all they did in terms of promotion was in historical miniaturesmagazines, sites, and on primarily historical podcasts and youtube channels.  They even have their own rules set Deus Vult which has no fantasy in it at all.  I think their fantasy stuff is a later change of direction.  I hope they keep at it though as I like the style of their new miniatures.  There's no way I'm going to get GW zombies, so they're definitely a contender for me.

8 hours ago, Thiagoma said:

This models look gorgeous! Can i ask what model/bits are those? It looks great, congrats!

Thanks! It is the Elf Prince from MoM Miniatures: https://www.momminiaturas.com/miniaturas-fantasia/elfos/

Many of their minis look quite incredible (Chaos stuff for example). Models are in resin and need quite a bit of cleanup, but the very affordable prices and great looks make it much more worth it than other options, imo. 

So with the confirmed models going that means we have the following left in free cities:

So here is the free cities roster

Heroes

1 Battlemage on griffin
2. Battlemage 
3. Hurricanum and Battlemage 
4. Luminark and Battlemage 
5. Sorceress
6. Sorceress on black dragon 
7. Excelsior Warpriest?
8. Warden king
9. Runelord
10. Freeguild general on griffin