You haven't even see the city rules and you already know they will be not worth it? If you think it will be simple "Firestorm reprint" you're wrong. Firestorm didn't have Artefacts, Command Traits, Spell Lores, Endless Spells, Terrain...

I'm pretty sure that  Cities of Sigmar abilities will be better than Free Peoples ones as usually Battletome abilities > GHB abilities.

Just now, michu said:

You haven't even see the city rules and you already know they will be not worth it? If you think it will be simple "Firestorm reprint" you're wrong. Firestorm didn't have Artefacts, Command Traits, Spell Lores, Endless Spells, Terrain...

I'm pretty sure that  Cities of Sigmar abilities will be better than Free Peoples ones as usually Battletome abilities > GHB abilities.

We'll see. This certainly is not a battletome like any we've seen before, if only for the sheer amount of factions it encompasses. 

The base abilities for FP aren't that bad, it's the warscrolls that are lacking.

Just now, zilberfrid said:

We'll see. This certainly is not a battletome like any we've seen before, if only for the sheer amount of factions it encompasses. 

The base abilities for FP aren't that bad, it's the warscrolls that are lacking.

And they have said some warscrolls will be updated.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, zilberfrid said:

Then you should be happy. @bottle, designer of this battletome, said that he updated those warscrolls to modern AoS. That book should make mixed order stronger thanks to Allegiance Abilities and make your Freeguild army better with new warscrolls.

I just went in my attic and grabbed in the bottom of some drawer my very old GW WHFB Empire army. Last time I gathered it all was almost 3 decades ago.

I took pleasure to gather them all on the corner of the table. Most of the minis are in metal.  My favourite are the gun horsemen (the white ones in the right) and most of the canons (one of each maybe some out of production).

It is weaird that I have 12 crossbows/gun men/bow men . We can see behind the pegase an old general on griffon (metal, that's why it is tiny but way heavier that the taller pplastic one).

Do you think that I can build an AoS army with this?

image.png.dd253e89caf6e3dcdff8efafb942fc4e.png

• Like 2
  • LOVE IT! 3

1 hour ago, Knight Scáthach of Fimm said:

What is your favourite of the established Free Cities, or have you created your own?

Mechanically? Tempest's Eye.

Obviously. ; )

However, as I'm slowly branching the project out into human tribes as well, more concrete fluff of my own fortress-city will follow.

• LOVE IT! 1

13 minutes ago, GeneralZero said:

I just went in my attic and grabbed in the bottom of some drawer my very old GW WHFB Empire army. Last time I gathered it all was almost 3 decades ago.

I took pleasure to gather them all on the corner of the table. Most of the minis are in metal.  My favourite are the gun horsemen (the white ones in the right) and most of the canons (one of each maybe some out of production).

It is weaird that I have 12 crossbows/gun men/bow men . We can see behind the pegase an old general on griffon (metal, that's why it is tiny but way heavier that the taller pplastic one).

Those Steam tanks are adorable!

I'll look into it a bit later, but I think you will if there's a city that allows Ironweld in the main army, and probably otherwise as well. May yet be a full regiment.

16 minutes ago, GeneralZero said:

😍

You could absolutely build an AoS army out of those guys. You might struggle a little with the pegasus mounted wizard (put it on a very big rock and call it a griffon? ;)), and the knights (order some demigrph mounts for them from a bits site) but everything else currently has a modern warscroll and will look amazing.

I'm very jealous of your foot Reiksguard, they're possibly the best looking greatsword stand in going.

2 hours ago, Double Misfire said:

My personal favourite is Greywater Fastness, because Cannons (obviously), their having the same colour scheme as my existing Dwarf and Empire stuff (Averland 😢), and the fact I feel invested in them after registering so many results for Order in the UK in the 2016 Season of War global campaign.

Thank you! I didn´t know about this one but it was exactly what I was looking for :D

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, zilberfrid said:

Those Steam tanks are adorable!

I'll look into it a bit later, but I think you will if there's a city that allows Ironweld in the main army, and probably otherwise as well. May yet be a full regiment.

You have more than an army, let's start with that

I think I see a nice option (I use https://www.warhammer-community.com/warscroll-builder/ for this):

20 halberdiers

20 spearmen

10 archers

10 crossbowmen

10 gunners (You'd prefer 3x gunners, but this is what you have)

Gather the rest of the troops and you might get to 10 more halberd guard (maybe glue a few axe heads and clip spears)

10 greatswords (reichsguard on foot)

5 outriders (gun riders)

Convert 5 reichsguard into pistoleers

call 3 reichsguard Demigryph knights

General on horse with stately warbanner

General on foot

Steam Tank

Helblaster volley gun

Batallion: Regiment

Alternatively, allegiance: Order

1x Ironweld Engineer

1x (counts as) Archmage on horse

1 Freeguild general on foot

1 Battlemage on Griffin

1x Witch hunter

2x Reichsguard counts as Dragon Riders

20 Halberd guard

20 Pike guard

10 handgunners

10 counts as greatswords

2x steam tank

1x cannon

1x volley gun

That should be a list few people see, and it's not entirely hopeless

3 hours ago, Double Misfire said:

NEW THREAD QUESTION: What is your favourite of the established Free Cities, or have you created your own?

Tempest's Eye for this guy. I have a large collection of Tempest Lords themed Stormcast, and I built a Swifthawks themed army using mostly Swifthawks and some Swifthawk themed Overlords for a Firestorm Campaign. The list wasn't super effective, but it was fun to play with!

On 7/25/2019 at 5:34 PM, Double Misfire said:

I don't know about anyone else here, but boy am I getting bored of repeat wishlisting and unit cull predictions when so far we've got nothing to go on!

NEW THREAD QUESTION: What is your favourite of the established Free Cities, or have you created your own?

My personal favourite is Greywater Fastness, because Cannons (obviously), their having the same colour scheme as my existing Dwarf and Empire stuff (Averland 😢

I have created my own city. Greifsstadt, a twin city of Hyish and Ghur. The people there are drawn toward the other side. People in Hyish grow up in ordered, peaceful society, until they grow unruly and restless, and move to through the gate, where they revel in the bloodshed of the hunt (until their old age kills them). People born in Ghur generally retire to Hyish after some 35 years and further arts and knowledge there, some even turning to magic.

Horses are rare in Greifsstadt, a stouter version of gryph hounds is much more common, still hooved in its hind legs, it needs to hunt and kill more often, which fits the land. The people of Silverheart are proud that they hold their Ghur part so well against Chaos and Destruction, but are wary around Stormcast, as these tend to misinderstand their habits.

The ruler of Greifsstadt is called the Karl, and the current one happens to be called Franz. He is closely allied with Shirdan, a beast wizard that breeds the demigryphs and quartergryphs in Ghur, as well as the majestic giffin the Karl rides.

Edited by zilberfrid
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, dekay said:

Mechanically? Tempest's Eye.

Obviously. ; )

However, as I'm slowly branching the project out into human tribes as well, more concrete fluff of my own fortress-city will follow.

?format=1000w

I love everything about your army, how have I not managed to keep up with the thread! 🤦‍♂️

It really pushes the limits of how you can personalise a Free Cities force, and is done to such a high standard. Truly inspiring.

15 minutes ago, zilberfrid said:

The ruler of Silverheart is called the Karl, and the current one happens to be called Franz. He is closely allied with Berk, a beast wizard that breeds the demigryphs and quartergryphs in Ghur, as well as the majestic giffin the Karl rides.

How bizarre, my Free City humans are lead by a guy called "Karl Franz" too, and have his heraldry all over their shields and war machines. Talk about crazy coincidences! :D 

(I hope to Sigmar that the new battletome has a throwaway bit of colour text explaining why KF's name is still slapped all over stuff)

16 minutes ago, Double Misfire said:

I love everything about your army, how have I not managed to keep up with the thread! 🤦‍♂️

It really pushes the limits of how you can personalise a Free Cities force, and is done to such a high standard. Truly inspiring.

Thanks! News of the battletome have me waiting with adding human elements [and recently I also had some ideas about suitably themed skyships ;)] as I'm not yet sure what the final fate of some of my swifthawk and council units will be. I mean, griffon is a griffon, so worst case - i'll rebase them to fit freeguild/collegiate standards, while swordmasters have, as mentioned before, a lot of alternative warscrolls availible but I'd prefer to know what I'm working with when it comes to spireguard and reavers before I start designing other units.

4 hours ago, Double Misfire said:

I don't know about anyone else here, but boy am I getting bored of repeat wishlisting and unit cull predictions when so far we've got nothing to go on!

My personal favourite is Greywater Fastness, because Cannons (obviously), their having the same colour scheme as my existing Dwarf and Empire stuff (Averland 😢), and the fact I feel invested in them after registering so many results for Order in the UK in the 2016 Season of War global campaign.

Tempest's Eye is a close second, and I've been playing as them since Firestorm came out, mainly due to their allowed factions almost exactly matching the composition of my collection (Dwarfs, Empire, Swifthawk Agents, Kharadron, the few Stormcast I have being Tempest Lords), but wanting to go Stormcast free moving forward, and never wanting to have to paint anything in Middenheim (spit) colours, I can safely say my army'll be hopping through a Realmgate and back to Greywater with the advent of the new book. :D 

The Living City! All of my models fit inside it, and I already have a list mocked up - I'm not competitive or anything, just using whatever models I have - Namely Stormcast, Wanderers, Sylvaneth and Free Peoples.

32 minutes ago, Double Misfire said:

How bizarre, my Free City humans are lead by a guy called "Karl Franz" too, and have his heraldry all over their shields and war machines. Talk about crazy coincidences! :D 

(I hope to Sigmar that the new battletome has a throwaway bit of colour text explaining why KF's name is still slapped all over stuff)

Your leader might be the Franz, who then adopts his function as a surname. The last one had Ferdinand as a first name, this Franz happens to be named Karl :)

Thank you guys for your suggestions.

I forgot the add in the picture 2 old charriots: one of them has been reedited since but the second one doesn't exist anymore and is probably the most sympatic of them all... I'll keep the surprise for my next picture when I go back to my mini tomorrow. Keep wathcing 😋

PS: my widest estime  to the one who guess...

PS2 (edit): it seems that the updated steamtank is much bigger that the old metal one...

Edited by GeneralZero

51 minutes ago, GeneralZero said:

I forgot the add in the picture 2 old charriots: one of them has been reedited since but the second one doesn't exist anymore and is probably the most sympatic of them all... I'll keep the surprise for my next picture when I go back to my mini tomorrow. Keep wathcing 😋

Are we talking old imperial War Wagons? If so, they can make great War Altars or Hurricanums/Luminarks now, its mostly a matter of sticking either a priest or a wizard on it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Forrix said:

Does in anyone have links to in-depth lore articles about the different free cities? I'm having trouble finding anything beyond pretty simple one or two paragraph explanations.

Hammerhal gets a very thorough writeup in Warhammer Quest: Shadows Over Hammerhal (shocker), and the three Seeds of Hope (Greywater Fastness, the Living City and the Phoenicum) have fairly comprehensive (albeit brief) histories in the AoS core book, but past that a couple of paragraphs is all we're currently getting. :( 

Bring on the new battletome! :D 

• Like 2

Top Cities of Sigmar hobby tip: If you're clumsy (like me) and/or too lazy to do detailed freehand (like me), but want awesome looking banner designs, look no further than the myriad transfer sheets produced by GW and Forge World for Imperial Knights (Adeptus Titanicus transfers work really well too).

99120108017_KnightPreceptorCanisRex05.jpg

As well as the obviously 40k aquilas and skulls, these sheets are packed with relatively generic heraldic stuff that fits the feel of Free Cities to a T (how great is that beastman's head with a sword through it?). The more generic looking cog designs are especially great for Greywater Fastness.

• LOVE IT! 2

My favourite is Tempest's Eye because the single piece of artwork we have shows the city with a bit of a Chinese/Japanese/Korean theme to some of the buildings. I'm currently working on converting up aelf airships as stand-ins for some kharadron as I feel that the aelf aesthetic fits Tempest's Eye better. 

• Like 3