20 hours ago, michu said:

For all Spire of Dawn Swifthawk owners - if our units won't survive (and it's very possible) you can use your models as :

Spireguard - Freeguild Guard with spears

Swordmasters - Freeguild Guard with swords *

High Warden - Freeguild General on Griffon

Archmage - Battle Wizard *

Reavers - Pistoliers (I excluded Outriders as they are armed with Blunderbusses and I think their damage output is too big for bows, pistols are better for that)

* - units that could survive as they currently still have models

out rider sharpshooters can take a brace of pistols, a repeater handgun (that hits on 4+ instead of 5+) or a blunderbuss. thus if the entire unit is taken as repeaterhandguns it is a much better analogue to reavers then Pistoliers I think

There are many specific things about what can be done with free people especially with powder weapons (guns, rifles, canon, missiles, tanks etc....).

I am more than happy to see that there will be not only a battletome for Free people but many builds/synergies with other races even some have a battletome on their own (sylva & KO).

I have a big bunch of old minis of those free people, most are 20+ years old (from WHFB, 2nd release I think...), many are in metal including 2 tanks.

But lets be honnest: most of the actual range of free people start to show their age. (and this is an euphemism).

I'd be glad to see an update for few troop choice (infantry and cavalry).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GeneralZero said:

But lets be honnest: most of the actual range of free people start to show their age. (and this is an euphemism).

I'd be glad to see an update for few troop choice (infantry and cavalry).

If they released some new sculpts for the dwarf warriors, Empire swordsmen etc. I would be over the moon. I do think it's more likely they'll just leave them as they are, though, if they don't chuck them altogether.

TBH, I think that they did this tome to get rid of most unreferenced-in-battletome mini. Now, everything is in a tome, and even can invite to buy the -old- miniatures of free people/dwarves/elfs. I don't expect much. And I'm confident that nothing will be updated. At most, we'll have a new hero in a random dual army box someday...

Edited by GeneralZero

I doubt they will, but unless they release new models for at least the freeguild troops I wont be too hyped for this. When the guard or handgunners are packed together in a block they look alright as whole, but once you break it down to individual models you really notice how lackluster and aged they are, especially in comparison to the rest of the AoS line.

On 7/20/2019 at 4:13 AM, Tankman said:

As a Wanderer player I've run Living City once and liked it except the LoS blocking trees.  Curious to see what will change with Living City.

On 7/20/2019 at 6:16 AM, Double Misfire said:

Sooo... taking bets on which units get culled. :( 

• Glade Guard (while not a particularly nasty one, they're the oldest kit in the range and Glade Riders already went years ago)

They aren't a good unit in the game, and the models while classic in a sense and were quite fantastic 14 years ago have aged out along the aesthetic of the end-of-8th-elves.  But I don't think they will be culled until something is done with the newer kits, EG, SotW, etc.

On 7/20/2019 at 6:24 AM, Charlo said:

I don't think wanderer archers are going anywhere... Or the Dwarf warriors. They're THE essential units for those factions,

No they are not.  Sisters of the Watch hold objectives better, EG castle well, Rangers fight.  Glade Guard are only good if you have 30 and for being a bit ugly board control "elite horde" that has dismal dmg output.  They are in no way essential.  GW did a poor job in bringing Alves from 8th ed to AoS.  Your elite army became horde that lacked synergy.

On 7/21/2019 at 8:06 AM, Aelfric said:

Greenskins as a faction have points in GHB 2019.  They haven't gone away.  Gitmob Grots, on the other hand ..........

Granted TK are in GHB 2019.  So... shrugs.

On 7/22/2019 at 6:30 AM, Mogwai Man said:

White Lions and Glade Guard are no longer available online. Is this a sign of models being removed from the roster?

Bestigors have been no longer available twice and they are now a staple in 90% of BoC and Slaanesh armies.  When this happens people freak out then they become regular stock again and people move on

17 hours ago, Thiagoma said:

The Shadow warriors, charriot, flying charriot are probably not going away.

I hope they get merged with Wanderers.

10 minutes ago, stus67 said:

I doubt they will, but unless they release new models for at least the freeguild troops I wont be too hyped for this. When the guard or handgunners are packed together in a block they look alright as whole, but once you break it down to individual models you really notice how lackluster and aged they are, especially in comparison to the rest of the AoS line.

Yeah, the guards and handgunners are not very pretty. Pistoleers/Outriders, Greatswords, generals (horse and griffin) and Demis on the other hand are.

Just renewing the guards and crossbowmen/handgunners would be enough to update the line (and give the guards a militia option right from the box please)

10 minutes ago, zilberfrid said:

Just renewing the guards and crossbowmen/handgunners would be enough to update the line (and give the guards a militia option right from the box please)

If they'd do a MULTI KIT guard box (spears/guns/crossbow/whatever), they'd sell it like crazy.

21 minutes ago, GeneralZero said:

If they'd do a MULTI KIT guard box (spears/guns/crossbow/whatever), they'd sell it like crazy.

I don't know about that, the guards have save 5+, which indicates demi cuirass, while the crossbowmen and handgunners have 6+, indicating some armour, but limited to jacks and helmets. Stances for missile troops are also dissimilar from melee troops.

I'd like to build a 100% human powder based army: in fact, completing competitively (a bit) my actual human force to have a sort of Napoleonic army in front of monsters lol. This will be a super themed army. (and I guess it'd be efficient if the gunline kill enough things before close combat)

I'd do the same with dwarves where the cavalry is a sky force full of KO ships.

For the first one, my hope is high. I don't bother more than this for the second one. (wrong thread initially in rumor one)

31 minutes ago, GeneralZero said:

I'd like to build a 100% human powder based army: in fact, completing competitively (a bit) my actual human force to have a sort of Napoleonic army in front of monsters lol. This will be a super themed army. (and I guess it'd be efficient if the gunline kill enough things before close combat)

I'd do the same with dwarves where the cavalry is a sky force full of KO ships.

For the first one, my hope is high. I don't bother more than this for the second one. (wrong thread initially in rumor one)

You can already do this with Freeguild. They're deceptively strong.

5 hours ago, GeneralZero said:

I'd like to build a 100% human powder based army: in fact, completing competitively (a bit) my actual human force to have a sort of Napoleonic army in front of monsters lol. This will be a super themed army. (and I guess it'd be efficient if the gunline kill enough things before close combat).

My idea is kind of the opposite; Freeguild with no gunpowder. So no handguns or pistols or artillery.  I'd allow steam tanks on the idea that they are steam cannons so no gunpowder needed.  I'd also allow my witch hunter to have his brace of (steam) pistols since the model is lovely.

Also witch hunters are totally super-cheddar, crazy broken and I can't believe they made them cheaper; they should be spammed in every Order list! /s(odamnmuchsarcasm)

Edited by Kamose

A nice upside of this mixed and mashed Battletome is also the fact that using out-of-range-models as proxies should be a quite small issue. I have 24+ Glade Guard Riders and I am happy that there will be some "count as" profiles I can use them for viably! Using Wanderer Glade Guards as Archers for Imperium is not really nice and Satisfying, but it is at least possible!

I am afraid that Miners from the old Gobbos vs Dwarfs Starterset will be quite sure gone as there is no way of buying them atm. Also I am not sure if Warriors and Quarrelers/Thunderers will make the cut. They really stand out from the current AoS Design. Also I do not know if anyone is playing them as the other Dwarfs seem superior to me.

7 hours ago, Popisdead said:

No they are not.  Sisters of the Watch hold objectives better, EG castle well, Rangers fight.  Glade Guard are only good if you have 30 and for being a bit ugly board control "elite horde" that has dismal dmg output.  They are in no way essential.  GW did a poor job in bringing Alves from 8th ed to AoS.  Your elite army became horde that lacked synergy.

I meant in the way that they are hooded elves with bows and kind of personify the Wanderer theme.

All this talk of Glade Guard being removed... don't forget destruction still have old models like  Shootas and Stabbas in their line.  Also weird that they would repackage Glade Guard only to retire them less than a year later.  Lastly they have been the  only basic battleline choice for Wanderers and there will be somewhat of an outcry from all 25 of us that play them if they do get squatted. 🌲🦌🌳🏹

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Charleston said:

I am afraid that Miners from the old Gobbos vs Dwarfs Starterset will be quite sure gone as there is no way of buying them atm. Also I am not sure if Warriors and Quarrelers/Thunderers will make the cut. They really stand out from the current AoS Design. Also I do not know if anyone is playing them as the other Dwarfs seem superior to me.

As well as discontinuing a handful of units they also said they will be bringing back some previously discontinued units also. The plastic miners kit is actually still pretty good, certainly better than most free peoples stuff so maybe they'll come back? They did a plastic multi part miner kit after the skull pass set and they look much better. 

Quite a lot of dispossessed players still use warriors / thunderers / quarrellers. I certainly do. They make great cheap battleline or punchy shooting that is cheaper than irondrakes and still quite effective when buffed with a Runelord. You can cram a lot more bodies in a list when you don't go full on elite with the dispossessed. I take a mix and use a solid core of ironbreakers backed up by these cheaper units and artillery. 

Edited by Zadolix
Edited for spelling
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, Cambot1231 said:

All this talk of Glade Guard being removed... don't forget destruction still have old models like  Shootas and Stabbas in their line. 

To be fair Plastic Night Goblins were "fairly" recent at 7th edition launch.

I think the problem is that GW sometimes does and sometimes doesn't remove things. Like Slaanesh, they killed off the Chaos Lords, one of which was the Sigvald model from the 7th edition book.

On the other hand Skaven have to rely on so many 6th edition models it isn't even funny....

• Sad 1

Excellent news. I honestly believed that GW was slowly icing the "classic" Fantasy races in favor of the crazier (read: GW-exclusive) ones - however with Empire, Elves, Dwarves and Orcs finally becoming permanent additions to the setting and with Warriors of Chaos probably getting the same at some point, this does not seem to be the case. 

My KoW League of Rhordia (using Warlord Games Landsknechts) will now pull double duties as Free Cities. 

Spoiler

Pike & Shotte: Landsknechts PikemenPike & Shotte Landsknecht with Zweihanders

Pike & Shotte Landsknecht Missle Troops

I also have a large number of Kickstarter Halflings that I hope to integrate in the army in some way. 

Any word on which cavalry units will make it to the book? I hope Demi-Gryph riders won't get iced. Might we even hope for the return of the Knightly Orders? 

• Like 1