9 minutes ago, kuroyume said:

I think it's safe to say anything on the Firestorm army boxes is safe from being cut, since it's likely those are where the idea for this battletome started to take shape. My LGS still has a few of them, so I'm running there as soon as it opens to pick up a Hammerhal to get something started along with my current SCE collection.

I agree with this, all those are decent kits. The worst probably being scourgerunner chariot, but it's fine they'll keep it. 
but my days of  picking these up for cheap on ebay and parting them out seem to be over. now i kind of wish I had kept some stuff! 

Though on the topic of "metal/fine cast" minis, GW is so inconsistent with their stance it's weird.

On one hand, slaanesh mortal heroes died.

On the other hand, friggin 6th edition Skaven and Beasts of Chaos are still romping around. You want Tuskgor chariots? Pay the iron price!

I've just put this in the rumour thread but it is also relevent here...

At the Open Day I got chance to speak to Sam Pearson (rules writer) about the Cities book. He obviously wouldn't say much but was very enthusiastic about it - I got the impression it was something of a passion project for him (this was backed up by lots of other GW staff encouraging me to speak to Sam whenever I mentioned that I was interested in the Cities book).

He said that he'd reviewed all the relevent warscrolls and had had to do a fair bit of tidying up with some of them to make them more realistic. The example he gave was of a model which carried 2 weapons but warscroll had them using 3 in the same phase/turn. He also said that he had written rules to improve some of the weaknesses of AoS - his example was that cavalry currently "hit like a wet fish" and he'd tried to address that.

• Like 8

47 minutes ago, Nick in York said:

I've just put this in the rumour thread but it is also relevent here...

At the Open Day I got chance to speak to Sam Pearson (rules writer) about the Cities book. He obviously wouldn't say much but was very enthusiastic about it - I got the impression it was something of a passion project for him (this was backed up by lots of other GW staff encouraging me to speak to Sam whenever I mentioned that I was interested in the Cities book).

He said that he'd reviewed all the relevent warscrolls and had had to do a fair bit of tidying up with some of them to make them more realistic. The example he gave was of a model which carried 2 weapons but warscroll had them using 3 in the same phase/turn. He also said that he had written rules to improve some of the weaknesses of AoS - his example was that cavalry currently "hit like a wet fish" and he'd tried to address that.

This makes me absolutely excited strong hitting cavalry? Break out the old brettonians and call em reiksgaurd lets go

Just now, Bozly said:

This makes me absolutely excited strong hitting cavalry? Break out the old brettonians and call em reiksgaurd lets go

To clarify - he wasn't specifically talking about warscrolls here but more helping out weaker units with some of the rules in the book. He was intentionally being vague but my impression was that there might be allegiance abilities which could buff cavalry amongst other things. 

I did find it interesting that he specifically mentioned cavalry as not being very good in the game in general. It suggests the rules writers are aware of the weaknesses and are looking for opportunities to address them, although maybe with imposed limits (my speculation here) such as in certain factions.

2 minutes ago, Nick in York said:

To clarify - he wasn't specifically talking about warscrolls here but more helping out weaker units with some of the rules in the book. He was intentionally being vague but my impression was that there might be allegiance abilities which could buff cavalry amongst other things. 

I did find it interesting that he specifically mentioned cavalry as not being very good in the game in general. It suggests the rules writers are aware of the weaknesses and are looking for opportunities to address them, although maybe with imposed limits (my speculation here) such as in certain factions.

they do always seem to be aware of this stuff. A few years ago there was no point to taking monsters besides maybe gordrakk because they were all potatoes. But now we have some really strong monsters on the table. Some go too far like ghoul king on TG but they did work to fix that. 

53 minutes ago, Nick in York said:

The example he gave was of a model which carried 2 weapons but warscroll had them using 3 in the same phase/turn.

Anyone know which models these may be? I don't recall too many models using 3 weapons

Or was this referencing on weapon options where many models have weapon options that no longer exist officially.

Just now, kenshin620 said:

Anyone know which models these may be? I don't recall too many models using 3 weapons

Or was this referencing on weapon options where many models have weapon options that no longer exist officially.

Possibly - he did name the example but it was a warscroll I don't know so didn't retain it. 

14 minutes ago, swarmofseals said:

There hasn't been any word yet on the timeframe for this book, is there? I've been working for a month on list variations that will likely be heavily impacted by this tome. I'm hoping we see it sooner rather than later.

Unless theres another china delay, most previews are 2-3 months tops. (well except for warcry, but thats not exactly a traditional release)

• Like 1

Well, I slowly turn from "Build an army asap to play them" more into "modelling and painting an unique army". At first glance, I scrolled this tome away as "boring news", but rereading it made clear that this is the tome I wanted without knowning it! I have a lot of old wood aelves lying around that I got from a friend. Not enough to be worth making them into a Wanderers army, yet too many to be woth beeing sold. I also just got 2x the dwarf half of the "Assault on the Skull Pass" Starter which I will share with a friend which were supposed to be my next fun painting project. I also already play Hammers of Sigmar. So there is a lot of interesting stoff going on here for me. Units that I was sorry I wouldn´t be able to field now became something I look forward to paint and build. Models that were iconic once but worthless on the field, are going to be nice again. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, kenshin620 said:

Unless theres another china delay, most previews are 2-3 months tops. (well except for warcry, but thats not exactly a traditional release)

Yeah, I hear that. For me there is a huge difference between preorder next week and 2-3 months! I think I'll probably wait to see what's on tap for next week's preorder window and if it's not Free Cities then I'll probably focus on my Beasts of Chaos for now rather than do more work on this project blind.

37 minutes ago, Luzgurbel said:

Can we just hope new models for the old fashioned state troops, aelf archers and/or some dwarf units? They are old for ages (since at least 6th ED).

We probably won't get any new models; by the looks of it, Ogors will be getting that treatment and fair enough, they have way less to work with. The paragraph that mentioned advisors to generals was interesting, as I have no idea how that would be implemented without new models.

Furthermore, I hope that this concept will take the spot of a free terrain feature as A: what terrain would befit all these different factions? And B: I intensely dislike the captive audience method of including free auto include terrain; Khorne is a good exampe of integral terrain you, for all intents and purposes, must buy.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Knight Scáthach of Fimm said:

Furthermore, I hope that this concept will take the spot of a free terrain feature as A: what terrain would befit all these different factions?

Well they are suppossed to be the colonists of the mortal realms so  walls/trenches/wooden Spikes*/bagage or gun trains/ Cogforts 

20 minutes ago, Knight Scáthach of Fimm said:

And B: I intensely dislike the captive audience method of including free auto include terrain; Khorne is a good exampe of integral terrain you, for all intents and purposes, must buy.

Fully with you. Some of them, including endless spells, feel forced rather than being born from inspiration. And then the must buy to play aspect comes on top of that for me.

*don't know the name. But somewhat like the ones you got with the old Brettonian archers.

• Like 1

Cross posting from the Ironweld Arsenal thread:

Ben Johnson mentioned to us it is possible to do a Steamtank army!! More news as we get it!

https://spruesandbrews.com/2019/07/20/battletome-cities-of-sigmar/

Looks like good things do happen to terrible people! 🤗

I can wildly infer from this that we are getting battleline Steam Tanks, and a Steam Tank mounted engineer commander as a leader option, and that all this has come from my ridiculous list of feedback last year (no really, it hasn't, anyone could have had this idea)

• Like 2