AoS 2 - Phoenix Temple Discussion

Chris Tomlin

• 2 weeks later...

I have been tinkering with a little list. I split the phoenix guards into groups of 10 for more ally options. Is it better to drop one/two allies and go for bigger blocks of 30 or are the groups of 10 still fine enough?

list.jpg.0c02d2f695dbb363cd1932181daeb54b.jpg

On 10/20/2018 at 4:12 PM, CanHammer-darren said:

@Chris Tomlin how would you optimize your list post-facehammer? You had stated elsewhere that aventis was not optimal

Also something I am very interested in :) Maybe you could fill in a few blanks for us. Thanks in advance! ;)

Edited by Magma
added content

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if this is the way to go. I think you miss important parts for synergies. Like the anointed on foot for battleshocks or additional magic. 

Where do you See your use for the ballistas? Do you think they are worth it? But I like That you got the 3 birds. But only 60 Guards feels not enough.

But I like the list for sure. This is what i came up recently, gonna play two games tomorrow and the day after.

7B822AFD-9F0D-4325-860F-0C67D02C9387.png

Edited by Dimmu Golrath

• 4 weeks later...

I've become quite enamored by this faction, I absolutely adore the Phoenix's and would love an ice themed army. Plus all the 2k lists in here seem really fun!
So I have a few questions;
1. Can 1k lists be built/viable?  (Guessing 2 Anointed on Frosthearts and 30 Guard? Or 1 Frostheart, ally Mage and fill rest with 40~ Guard)
2. If I start at 1k and build up to 2k, is the faction worth the investment? Or monetarily is it overpriced/underpowered?
3. What is the definitive/"best" or atleast most popular 2k list composition?
4. How long (if ever) do you think it would be until they get a true tome, and when they do, do you think it would change a lot/make certain models unviable (like currently there's no pts cost to mounting an Anointed on a Phoenix, so no reason not to)

(And since they don't have their own Discussion thread, are Order Draconis still an "undiscovered power list"? Haha :D)

Thanks!

6 hours ago, TopHatCat said:

1. Can 1k lists be built/viable?  (Guessing 2 Anointed on Frosthearts and 30 Guard? Or 1 Frostheart, ally Mage and fill rest with 40~ Guard)

Sure, I'd go for sth like this though:

Allegiance: Phoenix Temple
Mortal Realm: Aqshy
Anointed of Asuryan on Frostheart Phoenix (280) - General, Master of Defense, Ignax's Scales 
Anointed (80)
Archmage (100) - Mount: Steed, Allies
30 x Phoenix Guard (360)
10 x Phoenix Guard (140)
Endless Spell(s) (40)
Total: 1000 / 1000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 100 / 200
Wounds: 62

Personally I'm not a fan of the unkillable Anointed ;) but it works

2. If I start at 1k and build up to 2k, is the faction worth the investment? Or monetarily is it overpriced/underpowered?

Imo the faction is neither overpriced nor underpowered, but since it's a compendium list it might disappear, or it might be integrated into an Aelven Battletome...

What is the definitive/"best" or atleast most popular 2k list composition?

probably 2 Anointed on Frosthearts, 1 Anointed on foot, a ton of Phoenix Guard and as many casters as you can manage due to restrictions

4. How long (if ever) do you think it would be until they get a true tome, and when they do, do you think it would change a lot/make certain models unviable (like currently there's no pts cost to mounting an Anointed on a Phoenix, so no reason not to)

Doubt they'll get a true Tome, but I think they could be part of the Teclis/Tyrion one...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Might come out of gaming retirement soon to see what the AoS scene in Vancouver is like since GHB2 

I ran a phoenix court list to much success (and dislike) at a local tournament of 30 people and won.

People really dont like Phoenix guard/frost hearts

In the new list im going to look at running a loremaster again (mystic shield on frost heart can just be amusing) and probably a unit of 10 Sisters of the thorn

Seems very magic shut down and monster buff which is fun

I found units of 10 PG great. Sooooo durable, and the sheer amount of attacks usually makes up for the rend issue 

I’m new to Phoenix guard, although having ten built for the last 7 years... :/

any suggestions on my 2k idea for a list?

frostheart gryphfeather MoD

frostheart 

treelord ancient

branchwraith

2x20 guard

1x30 guard

geminids 

shackles

idea being to use the treelord and frostheart to debuff an area, shackles out and geminids, treelord making woods for guard defence/objective grabbing with the dryads that can subsequently be summoned... 100 points spare for command points to make sure those guard get stuck in :)

Cheers!

I am looking at something like this to start:

Anointed on Frostheart Phoenix (General): 280

- Master of Defense

- Glyphfeathers

Anoited on Frostheart Phoenix: 280

Loremaster (ally): 140

Phoenix Guard x10: 140

Sisters of the Thorn x 10 (ally): 440

Quicksilver Swords: 20 points

·         So after re reading battle points, and this, I had to redo my list:

·         A minimum of 3 battleline units (no max)

·         A minimum of 1 leader but a max of 6

·         Up to 4 Artillery

·         Up to 4 Behemoths

·         As many units as you like without a Battlefield role

·         Up to 400 points of Allies

Anointed on Flamespyre Phoenix (General): 380
- Master of Defense
- Glyphfeathers

Anointed on Frostheart Phoenix: 280

Sisters of the Thorn x 5 (ally): 220

2000pts spot on

20 minutes ago, Chumphammer said:

·         So after re reading battle points, and this, I had to redo my list:

·         A minimum of 3 battleline units (no max)

·         A minimum of 1 leader but a max of 6

·         Up to 4 Artillery

·         Up to 4 Behemoths

·         As many units as you like without a Battlefield role

·         Up to 400 points of Allies

Anointed on Flamespyre Phoenix (General): 380
- Master of Defense
- Glyphfeathers

Sisters of the Thorn x 5 (ally): 220

2000pts spot on

What is your allegiance?  If it is "grand alliance order" the "allies" part of the problem disappears as it is all "order" and you can grab what you want from that bucket.  Leaders/arty/behemoth/battleline still count of course.

Think you'd have 2/8 and should be okay

Allegiance: Phoenix Temple

Anointed of Asuryan on Frostheart Phoenix (280)
Anointed of Asuryan on Frostheart Phoenix (280)
Anointed of Asuryan on Flamespyre Phoenix (380) - General
Loremaster (140) - Allies
20 x Phoenix Guard (280)
20 x Phoenix Guard (280)
10 x Phoenix Guard (140)
5 x Sisters of the Thorn (220) - Allies

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 360 / 400
Wounds: 101

List is valid in both Azyr and Warscroll Builder ...

Though I'd prob. run 3 Frosthearts and an Anointed on foot instead of the Flamespyre

Phoenix Temple 2k.pdf

On 1/25/2019 at 8:19 PM, Chumphammer said:

Hey Bigscaryflorister,

Do you have enough units for 2 allies? dont you need 4 per allie? (still new at AoS2 so not 100% sure)

How do the 100pts help towards command points? (again, nub question)

Do you still have to have points set aside for the summoned unit of dryads?

I’m not sure about the 4 per ally thing, I’ll have to check that :/  every 50pts left over gives you a command point, and two would be useful to keep the guard boosted! Dryads are free to summon! 

4 hours ago, Bigscaryflorister said:

I’m not sure about the 4 per ally thing, I’ll have to check that :/  every 50pts left over gives you a command point, and two would be useful to keep the guard boosted! Dryads are free to summon! 

Split the 20 mans units down to ten and that’s done the trick! explains why my Azyr app kept saying all limot reached @1820 points! Thank you :)

Been toying with this as a really in your face list (though its more mixed order)

Phoenix guard screen the witch elves. Witch elves charge in first with the PG 2' reach behind

Loremaster for rerolls on frostheart and magic buff

Hags to buff with elves.

Could split the force if needed so each flank has 1 frostheart, 1 hag, 2 x 10 PG and 2 x 10 WE. Sisters and LM on sperate forces

Anointed on Frostheart Phoenix (General): 280
- Master of Defense
- Glyphfeathers

Loremaster: 140

Hag Queen: 60

Hag Queen: 60

Phoenix Guard x 10: 140

10 Witch Elves: 100

Sisters of the Thorn x 5: 220

• 2 weeks later...

Hello!

I'm looking at getting away from playing Ogres at the moment.  So I'm looking at maybe starting up a old HE army, and focusing on making a Phoenix Guard army.  I noticed that no one is using the Spyreheart Warhost battalion.  It looks good for what it does.  I'm guessing people pass on it simply because you have to take the birds without a rider to get it?  

1 hour ago, Joeyj001 said:

Tried searching but could not find an answer. When an endless spell is successfully cast, does this also trigger the attuned to magic ability for the Phoenix to boost their save?  

I don’t see why it wouldn’t? They're cast just like any other spell

4 hours ago, Azamar said:

I don’t see why it wouldn’t? They're cast just like any other spell

Foooo shooo! Agreed. I was overthinking it. The balewind vortex does not increase the range of endless spells and the stormcast artifact staff of focus does not affect endless spells cast with it.  So I am not sure if endless spells are considered as a unique event distinct from casting a normal spell or not. But both of those cases are due to the endless spells having their own warscrolls, so in the instance of the Phoenix it’s probably triggering his ability. Don’t think dispelling an endless spell successfully would count as a successful spell cast to boost the phoenix’s save tho

Edited by Joeyj001

• 1 month later...

Hey all,  posted a lost a while back, but have revised and thought I’d repost for suggestions...

frosty w/strategic genius, shardfist pelt

frosty

archmage on dragon w/book

branchwych? (Only caster I can fit in allies...)

Annointed on foot

30 guard

30 guard

10 guard

geminids

cogs

with 4 spells in my turn potentially going off,  that shardfist is a real pig for the opponent to deal with,  hallowheart also allows for 3 +2 unbinds, and the dragon really helps the bird to counter and players that choose to not cast in order to prevent attuned to magic proccing! 

Anythoughts?