AoS 2 - Order Serpentis, Scourge Privateers, Shadowblades Discussion

syph0n

Getting there with my Knights. 3 of 5 done bar the bases. Last two, and I hope these go quicker! I then need to do the remaining 10, who are also as painted as the first two as pictured here. 

IMG_20180810_233240811.jpg.b72ab1c09d846f9f46d91f407aff8aa5.jpg

I'm going to paint all my banners in one go. Tested out my potential dragon scheme on the baby: Stegadon, Coelia, Stegadon / Sotek mix, Sotek on the wings and underbelly. Khemri, Devlan, Khemri / Ushabti mix, Ushabti on bones and claws. 

For those old enough, Bilious Green eyes. Awesome paint, still going strong! 

6 hours ago, Verminlord said:

What do you guys think about allying in a trio of evocators on dracolines? They're expensive at 300 points, but fit in the allies slot with a sorcerer and seem extremely fast and killy, not to mention they have a dispel/cast.

Ooh, not thought about these as allies... I need a unit to finish my son's 2k list. I've now got my head ticking about a conversion using their rules but Aelven models! 

I know Martin Morrin sang their praises long before their release to us plebs tomorrow. 

Greetings slavers, pirates and madwomen. I'm a 40k player about to make the jump over to AoS with my first army: clearly it has to be DE! From Elric of Melniboné to the Drow to the awesome Corsairs, dark elves are the rightful heirs of the fantasy genre.

I know the various DE factions aren't cutting edge competitive, but from the lurking/reading I've done, they do have some solid units. Dreadlord on dragon, Sorceress, Hydra, feared taskmaster'd corsairs, Anvilguard drakes and the whole DoK faction all look pretty solid.

But of course, what do I know, the game is pretty different to 40k! So before I go crazy, would you all do me a favour and help me out with a buying plan? I have two main questions: firstly, what to buy after the few models I'm 100% on, and secondly, which allegiance to focus on to begin with? I'm a bit at sea in terms of whether Order Serpentis is worth running, or just go Grand Order, for example.

Anyway: a Dreadlord Dragon will be my first model, as I've been eyeing up this amazing model for ages. Next, I'm very close to pulling the trigger on these Drakeknight alternative models (as you might have guessed I play in independent clubs and don't have to worry about GW's officiousness regarding models). So it looks like I'll be starting with a core of Order Serpentis. After this I really don't know which way to turn...

Do I ally Khaine, for all of their amazing models and that medusa? Do I whip together a band of corsairs – some of the best dark elf models from GW's older ranges? Do I buy a sorceress and start madly sacrificing hapless infantry to power my endless spells all over the place? Or do I focus on Anvilguard and buy in Stormcast (my gut says no, but they do have some outstanding cavalry models.)

Thanks for reading.

If you're intent on the Order Serpentis army, allying in a Sorceress and something to sacrifice still keeps your Anvilgard allegiance. No need for Stormcast. Or, you could always ally in some Blood Sisters and a Medusa, though that loses Anvilgard. 

I'm not convinced about Corsairs, game-wise. They look lovely but I think you probably want a horde of them and loads of Fleetmasters to make best use of them. I don't know what they'd achieve within an Order Serpentis army as an ally. 

Really I think most would recommend going Daughters of Khaine, but I don't think they look traditionally Dark Aelf like Order Serpentis, Scourge Privateers or Darkling Covens. I've not played many games at all, so I can't advise beyond what I too have read. 

Okay, sounds like two plans. I could shelve the corsairs in favour of some executioners, a sorceress and some chaff. What do people think works best as sacrificial meat? Bleakswords look fairly okay, but Serpentis have no shooting, so maybe darkshards?

Or I could get a medusa and maybe some Heartrenders? I'm used to deepstrike in 40k, I don't know how valuable it is in Sigmar yet, but free deployment in the back field with added rend sounds pretty tasty.

20 minutes ago, GrouchoBen said:

Okay, sounds like two plans. I could shelve the corsairs in favour of some executioners, a sorceress and some chaff. What do people think works best as sacrificial meat? Bleakswords look fairly okay, but Serpentis have no shooting, so maybe darkshards?

Or I could get a medusa and maybe some Heartrenders? I'm used to deepstrike in 40k, I don't know how valuable it is in Sigmar yet, but free deployment in the back field with added rend sounds pretty tasty.

Corsairs arenice cheap mestshields (they‘re utterly useless for anything else really...that‘s what happens if you have the worst star line of all elves).

allying bleakswords and a sorceress makes more sense since you can sacrifice them for better casting

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/en-GB/Blood-Bowl-Dark-Elf-Assassins-2018

Forgeworld has released two great looking Dark Elf assassin models. Might be worth a look for any considering taking Shadowblades and wanting some variety to their army look. They are also just a touch cheaper than the finecast one from GW (based on UK prices). They also don't feature much "sporty" look to them (really just their shorts are the only thing that hints at it) so they should easily fit into a mainstream army. 

EDIT - also if anyone is UK based and making up any coldone/drak units and happens to find themselves owning a spare head for the mount I'd be willing to trade. I'm after the heads of the Drakes/coldones for a conversion - anyone making scourge chariots should have spares ;)

• 2 weeks later...

After play testing, mostly against nurgle, I have changed my list as follows:

Allegiance: Anvilgard
Mortal Realm: Ulgu

Leaders
Dreadlord On Black Dragon (320)
- General
- Lance of Spite & Tyrant Shield
- Trait: Legendary Fighter
- Artefact: Hoarfrost
Dreadlord On Black Dragon (320)
- Exile Blade & Tyrant Shield
- Artefact: Sword of Judgement 
Sorceress (100)

Battleline

Units
10 x Drakespawn Knights (280)
10 x Drakespawn Knights (280)
10 x Darkshards (100) 

Drakespawn Chariots (80)

Behemoths
War Hydra (180)
War Hydra (180)

Warscroll Battalion
Ebondrake Warhost (150)

Total: 1990 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 200 / 400

I was mostly surprised by how quickly my knights went down. They need to be 10 strong to have any staying power and even then, if you're up against mortal wounds you're in trouble. My single sorceress in my last list would either get dispelled or fail her casts and with only one wizard being my only access to MW, it hurt having her be useless. MVPs of this army so far are the dragons and Hydra. My Hydra lasted until phase 4 one on one againt glotkin. The dragons hit like trucks and shrug hits reliably. Loving the army so far, but still finding their sweet spot. Free cities book when???

Can I ask a quick question? What is the anvilgard faction allegiance, and where do you find it?

also, I have a vague memory that every fourth unit can be allies, so that might help you if you only need three regular units per ally? This is just from memory though, so hopefully somebody can can confirm!

5 hours ago, Redbaron said:

Can I ask a quick question? What is the anvilgard faction allegiance, and where do you find it?

also, I have a vague memory that every fourth unit can be allies, so that might help you if you only need three regular units per ally? This is just from memory though, so hopefully somebody can can confirm!

Anvilguard is one of the free cities allegiances found in the back of book that comes with the stand alone firestorm box set. More info in this thread:

• 2 weeks later...

It's frustrating that when you use the warscroll builder it invalidates the army battleline of you choose Anvilgard. When I've been away for a while then come to build a list, I end up questioning myself! 

I'm right in thinking a Order Serpentis army, with Darkling Covens Sorceress allies, can be 

1) Order for things like Legendary Fighter (has none of their own otherwise) 

2) Have Drakespawn Knights battleline 

3) Realm artefacts 

4) Take Anvilgard 

All at once?

9 hours ago, syph0n said:

It's frustrating that when you use the warscroll builder it invalidates the army battleline of you choose Anvilgard. When I've been away for a while then come to build a list, I end up questioning myself! 

I'm right in thinking a Order Serpentis army, with Darkling Covens Sorceress allies, can be 

1) Order for things like Legendary Fighter (has none of their own otherwise) 

2) Have Drakespawn Knights battleline 

3) Realm artefacts 

4) Take Anvilgard 

All at once?

1. Correct

2. Correct

3. We can pick no more than one artifact from a realm

4. Correct

The battleline-if options create some confusion in the app and the builder, but if you have the requirements of the allegiance it is legal to use them as battle line. Anvilguard simply enhances the Order allegiance and since OS doesnt have its own allegiance abilities it can take Order allegiance.

Archived