The Painting Contract - July 2018

Mohojoe

And some more not-so-great pictures for you!  This week saw a pretty decent amount of work being put into my Grimghast Reapers.  The bases have been washed and drybrushed.  The scythe handles have been highlighted.  The bodies (both purple spirit and red poncho/cowl) have been highlighted up as far as I'm going to take them and been given a matt varnish from the airbrush (which has removed all of the patchy satin bits you occasionally get from washing).  And finally I've got the silver highlights on half of them :)

DjTa_FUX0AACzmc.jpg:large

DjTa8bWX0AAhmUI.jpg:large DjTa98tWsAYkDFR.jpg:large

So I've got the remaining silver highlights to do (30 Reapers plus a Spirit of Torment and Guardian of Souls).  Brown rust/verdigris patches to apply.  Skulls on the bases (only half a dozen or so) and the grey stone work.  Airbrush the edges of the base (black and then steel legion drab to match) and then the flame on the guardian of souls.  And finally apply some snow effect over the bases.  Depending on how things go I might be able to get that lot done this evening/tomorrow evening, but regardless they'll be sorted by the end of the week.

I've made the decision not to field the Myrmourn Banshees, Chainghast or Chainrasp for Blackout, which is probably a bit of a saving grace.  Part of me is also tempted to paint them up as part of a pure Nighthaunt army, but themed to a realm - but that's for another day ;)

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, RuneBrush said:

And some more not-so-great pictures for you!  This week saw a pretty decent amount of work being put into my Grimghast Reapers.  The bases have been washed and drybrushed.  The scythe handles have been highlighted.  The bodies (both purple spirit and red poncho/cowl) have been highlighted up as far as I'm going to take them and been given a matt varnish from the airbrush (which has removed all of the patchy satin bits you occasionally get from washing).  And finally I've got the silver highlights on half of them :)

DjTa_FUX0AACzmc.jpg:large

DjTa8bWX0AAhmUI.jpg:large DjTa98tWsAYkDFR.jpg:large

So I've got the remaining silver highlights to do (30 Reapers plus a Spirit of Torment and Guardian of Souls).  Brown rust/verdigris patches to apply.  Skulls on the bases (only half a dozen or so) and the grey stone work.  Airbrush the edges of the base (black and then steel legion drab to match) and then the flame on the guardian of souls.  And finally apply some snow effect over the bases.  Depending on how things go I might be able to get that lot done this evening/tomorrow evening, but regardless they'll be sorted by the end of the week.

I've made the decision not to field the Myrmourn Banshees, Chainghast or Chainrasp for Blackout, which is probably a bit of a saving grace.  Part of me is also tempted to paint them up as part of a pure Nighthaunt army, but themed to a realm - but that's for another day ;)

Those are really awesome! !! It's Easy to convert them without the skulls?

1 hour ago, Captain James Hook said:

Those are really awesome! !! It's Easy to convert them without the skulls?

Immensely easy - the skulls are all separate (even on the push fit models) so just don't glue them in place :)  I do think they benefit from being painted black inside though, if you use a light undercoat they'll be took light otherwise.

5 hours ago, Soulsmith said:

I can't remember if I pledged or not. But I built soul wars and painted a test mini for my stormhost "the Azyrite Crusade".

IMG_20180720_152045__01.jpg

That looks absolutely lovely. Nice scheme and great edge highlighting. 

On 6/27/2018 at 10:25 PM, Praecautus said:

Finish my chariot off.

Paint Gaunt summoner

Paint a unit of Namarti reavers - yes new edition new army!

Build blood thirster -new edition, new summoning ?

Seens like plenty for now

Well didn't manage the reavers but I added the following to my khorne army

IMG_1270.JPG

IMG_1271.JPG

IMG_1272.JPG

Just updating where I got last night (it was still technically July ;))

20180731_224130_resized.jpg.f7a97ea3948571f26e071f2556d99a87.jpg

20180731_224158_resized.jpg.51317831e1d7ac676d22313d0dbdf84d.jpg

20180731_224202_resized.jpg.3dad534b79af822e782225df0201b15b.jpg

Only a tiny little bit of work left to do!  I've verdigris to apply to the gold/brass bits, 16 Skulls on the base to paint up, drybrushing on the stonework on the bases, Guardian of Souls flame, little hourglass and then the apply Valhallan Blizzard to all of the bases.  It's still a few hours worth of work, but overall happy to say that I've achieved ultimately what I was after.

• 1 month later...

Archived