J.Z.

Guys is there a point of buying battletomes with arrival of AoS 2.0 ??

I mean Stormcast are getting new battletome so maybe  i next months we will reacive more refreshed stuff.

I'm mostly interested in Blades of Khorne & Seraphons battletomes.

Also I'm planing, as a new player, to buy new core book. Do you recommend buying GHB 2018 as well.

And finally - Maligin Portents, Path to Glory  and RealmGate Wars ?

14 minutes ago, J.Z. said:

I mean Stormcast are getting new battletome so maybe  i next months we will reacive more refreshed stuff.

I'm mostly interested in Blades of Khorne & Seraphons battletomes.

Also I'm planing, as a new player, to buy new core book. Do you recommend buying GHB 2018 as well.

And finally - Maligin Portents, Path to Glory  and RealmGate Wars ?

Replying to this in a different order :)  First off, yes to the new Generals Handbook.  It will contain allegiance abilities for Seraphon and an updated Blood Tithe for Khorne.  It contains a lot more of course, but those are the primary things you're enquiring about.

Battletome wise, both will be a good read with bits of background and plenty of details about the army.  From a functional point of view the Generals Handbook will contain all of the allegiance bits for Seraphon including artefacts (Battletome Seraphon were one of the earlier battletomes released).  Blades of Khorne is a difficult one to advise on - my own thought is yes it's worth picking up as it contains a load of Battalions, Prayers and artefacts and path to glory chart - however we don't as yet know how much is changed/replicated in the new Generals Handbook.  You can probably pick up a second hand one though easily enough.

Path to Glory - no point at all, this is covered in the Generals Handbook (or Core Rules, can't recall which way round).

Realmgate Wars - up to you, they're pretty expensive and there's a lot of them.  However they have some brilliant battleplans and background in them.

Malign Portents - it's worth picking up whilst you still can to use in the future when you want to play some interesting games.  There are battleplans in there and lots of special abilities you can use during those games.  It's far from an essential though.

The core book is a must, reading mine just now and it's a beautiful piece of lore and art.

Seraphons battletome is quite outdated, i'd wait for a new one (And the allegiance abilities are in the GH18). You could buy the Blade of Khorne one, the info in there are up to date.
Definitely buy the GH18, you NEED it.

6 minutes ago, RuneBrush said:

Malign Portents - it's worth picking up whilst you still can to use in the future when you want to play some interesting games.  There are battleplans in there and lots of special abilities you can use during those games.  It's far from an essential though.

Well I'm thinking more narrative play :) and there is stuff about land of the dead plus is dirt cheep book. But what about cards for it? The MP deck? should i buy it with a book, i mean is it universal or only dedicated to battle plans within book.

7 minutes ago, Furuzzolo said:

Understood!

9 minutes ago, RuneBrush said:

Blades of Khorne is a difficult one to advise on - my own thought is yes it's worth picking up as it contains a load of Battalions, Prayers and artefacts and path to glory chart - however we don't as yet know how much is changed/replicated in the new Generals Handbook.  You can probably pick up a second hand one though easily enough.

That's the thing. Bloodbound is (for now) my first army but i already heard rumours about new battletome (not SO soon but still). Thing to think about i suppose. 

21 minutes ago, Furuzzolo said:

The core book is a must, reading mine just now and it's a beautiful piece of lore and art.

Seraphons battletome is quite outdated, i'd wait for a new one (And the allegiance abilities are in the GH18). You could buy the Blade of Khorne one, the info in there are up to date.

You’ve already got yours? Mine hasn’t arrived yet ?

45 minutes ago, J.Z. said:

Well I'm thinking more narrative play :) and there is stuff about land of the dead plus is dirt cheep book. But what about cards for it? The MP deck? should i buy it with a book, i mean is it universal or only dedicated to battle plans within book.

In which case you'll love Malign Portents!  The deck is a great gaming aid - basically it's all of the portent abilities from the book but in card form.  It's not necessary but does make games easier to play.

46 minutes ago, J.Z. said:

That's the thing. Bloodbound is (for now) my first army but i already heard rumours about new battletome (not SO soon but still). Thing to think about i suppose. 

Pretty much the same as me then, although I'm using/working on my Death army, my first AoS army is Bloodbound.  I did speak to the rules guys at Warhammer Fest and they hinted at something coming along for Khorne at some point, but no clue on timeframe (which suggest's is a while away).

17 minutes ago, Furuzzolo said:

Yeah, both the gh18 and the Core book. Yesterday!

Lucky sausage!  I think some places have been sending them out early as they're officially not meant to land until Saturday.  I'm up at the Open Day this weekend so going to be Sunday before I get my hands on anything! :o

5 hours ago, J.Z. said:

This is the third Stormcast Battletome (4th if you count the Extremis battletoe).  They keep getting new battletomes because they keep getting new models. 
Any faction that they decided had enough old models and that they wanted to commit to, they've already released battletomes for.   Now, they will only release battletomes when releasing a batch of new models for a faction.  Going backwards, Deepkin, DoK, Nurgle,  KO, Tzeentch. I think we can expect this to continue.

Seraphon has older models, but a huge range, the models have held up well (some disagree, but tons of plastic kits anyway). Eventually, they will release some new heros (since most of those are resin)..  But I don't expect this to be a huge priority. Definitely not in the next year.  When they do, they'll release a new battletome.   Their allegiance abilities are updated in the GHB, so that's not a good reason for them to get a new tome yet.

Khorne has 2 battletomes because they were often featured vs Stormcast.  They got a lot of attention at first, I expect them to not get any for a long time now. 

tl;dr. You should be safe to buy the current Seraphon / Khorne battletome. they will not be redone soon.

Archived