Would there ever need to be an Age of Sigmar 2nd edition

Andz

Hi All,

I was just thinking the other day would Age of Sigmar ever need a 2nd edition?

We know Warhammer was up to 8th edition before the world exploded but it was such a tome of a rulebook it always needed revisions. Age of Sigmar is such a great simple ruleset would it ever need a new edition? most updates would be made through the model rules or the generals handbook.

Cheers

Well.. to me, this new GH is actually AoS 2nd edition, which goes in parallel with 1st edition (open play).

Probably that was not the intent, but in the end they released new rules, and the end of the campaign will also set the begin of a new story line.

But if we think to the Nth edition in the same way as WHFB or WH40K then I agree with you, to me there's no reason to change.

Age of Sigmar isn't a games system that will need a second edition because the core mechanics don't have any complexity that requires a rewrite.

What you will see is second, third, fourth etc. Edition battle tomes with updated units containing new mechanics, and new units.

In this way the hobby becomes more akin to MtG, continually evolving new releases which alter the way the game is played by their interactions, and often creeping power as an incentive to buy.

All in all, I'm happier with the approach, even more so with the availbility of the rules behind a lower payment barrier thanks to the AoS app.

I agree about the constantly changing meta/fluff. That said, I hope they revisit the 4 pages at some point. I actually do think they need a rewrite, not to change the rules, but to simply write them better. They've got a lot of superfluous information and poorly worded sections. And I hope even if they don't call it AoS V2, they come out with new box sets pitting two armies against each other down the line, always like those. 

I'd agree I'd like to see the rules get a minor rewriting, but the length of the rules section should stay the same or get smaller. I don't want things getting expanded on too much because the simplicity is where all the games complexity comes from.

Personally I'd like them to write base to base into the rules.

I think if there are enough FAQs that come out that touch on the core rule set they may do a "big update" that merges them all into one unified location, but I don't see a need for any further major revisions. Additions are always welcome though!

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

Yeah, the big thing is that there's really no reason to change the core mechanics - to hit, to wound, damage, saves, casting, unbinding, etc.  All that stuff is worked out for good and done.  Changing those core mechanics would necessitate a v2, but changing any of the warscrolls, or terrain warscrolls, or army comp, or external special rules?  That stuff is all just updates.

Now, I'd *like* to see a re-vamped 4 pager, just because some of the language is a bit unclear around using words like "wound" and "damage" to mean more than one thing.  But even that, if it was just clarification and not changes, wouldn't be v2 or even v1.5 - it would just be a clarified v1.

Think I agree with the general consensus, we might get a revised rule set but it'll be the same rules just written a bit more clearly.

New ages could hook in with different sub-factions, so Bloodbound would be the current age's Khorne offering, but the next might be Headstealers or some such.  I personally can't see significant changes to the Warscroll of units though, so a Blood Warrior will always keep what they've got, but I can see new points being released as we get newer and more powerful units added in subsequent Battletomes.  That said I do think the Grand Alliance books may be updated - possibly swapping some units out and leaving them within a Battletome.

It might me being optimistic, but GW have taken onboard a lot of the general complaints of their customers for AoS, I can't see them not acknowledging the frustration at frequently having to replace a source book (in whatever format it is - Codex, Army List etc)

I know this is from left field, but one of the major reasons games such as DotA and LoL stay popular is because of constant rebalancing that happens a couple times each year. These rebalances change the face of the meta and keep gameplay fresh by making competitive players rethink what they know about the game. I feel like one thing I liked when everyone was playing fan comps such as SCGT was that these rebalances were happening at a decent rate. I'm not sure if it was more so to try to keep points at a level that most players deemed "balanced" or if part of it was to shake up the meta, but either way it was the basis for a DotA-like meta that could keep things fresh even when no new releases were happening (not saying there wasn't new releases, more so that if there wasn't it would still be alright because of the shifting meta).

I hope that if there are updates, not only do the address FAQ changes, but also try to shake up the meta for matched play. Or at least keep points evolving in such a way that helps keep the matched play scene a healthy, evolving thing. This would also help reduce the presance of netlists that rule the roost for a couple years at a time.

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, Sleboda said:

The biggest reason for a v2 world be so that GW could resell all the books.   That alone is compelling enough for me to think there will be new editions.

Nah mate, the genius of the way AoS is set up is that they can resell all the books without a new edition.

I agree, with the Battletome, Grand Alliance, and Warscrolls format GW doesn't have to develop a new set of Core Rules.  So my thoughts are no, GW will not have to create a 2nd edition.  With that said, they certainly can create a 2nd edition any time they please for whatever reason they desire.  

Bottom line, I don't think it is likely to occur anytime soon.

1 hour ago, amysrevenge said:

Nah mate, the genius of the way AoS is set up is that they can resell all the books without a new edition.

Heck, they've already obsoleted the Battletomes for the Stormcast, Bloodbound, Seraphon, Fyrelayers, Ironjaws and Flesh-Eater Courts due to the differences with the latest types of tome.

Archived