Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Chris Tomlin

AoS 2 - Darkling Covens Discussion

*edit

I have to add why Darkshards are such a benefit for lists with Executioners and Black Guard. You can keep the Darkshards in front of your combat infantry as a Screen (Close by). Does a combat Action happen to the Screening unit the BG/Exec. behind will be drawn into combat, while usually not being hit.

-> Counter attacking style of the Darkling Covens.

The Black Guard with 2" range can hit over tweo ranks of infantry bases.

• Like 2

So, I´m thinking to perhaps start a small army (around 1000p), mostly as a hobby project. But I´m thinking that perhaps it could be fun an later expand it to 2000p. I want to play with it even if its lower points. 

But do you think this is army that will contuie to be and army and not disapear and what advice about the army could you give me?

Edited by Ulfast

2 hours ago, Ulfast said:

So, I´m thinking to perhaps start a small army (around 1000p), mostly as a hobby project. But I´m thinking that perhaps it could be fun an later expand it to 2000p. I want to play with it even if its lower points. 

But do you think this is army that will contuie to be and army and not disapear and what advice about the army could you give me?

Well if you're GHB I'd say you're safe. You may not get a book for a while but at least you aren't Swift Hawk Agents!

10 hours ago, Ulfast said:

So what is a good basic to get for the army ?

I’m would say start with the minimum units for the battalion and work from there. A sorceress, 3x10 of the darkshards/ swords/spears, 10 executioners and 10 guard is 880 including the battalion cost and a good framework to build on.

On 9/17/2018 at 8:15 AM, Ulfast said:

So what is a good basic to get for the army ?

I’d agree with @Azamar above: good news is that having only one battalion warscroll available means you don’t need to choose. I started myself out by checking on eBay, where you can get decent deals on line troops like dark shards. Then you can go on to buy leaders etc as you require. 

On 9/10/2018 at 8:05 AM, Kaleun said:

*edit

I have to add why Darkshards are such a benefit for lists with Executioners and Black Guard. You can keep the Darkshards in front of your combat infantry as a Screen (Close by). Does a combat Action happen to the Screening unit the BG/Exec. behind will be drawn into combat, while usually not being hit.

-> Counter attacking style of the Darkling Covens.

The Black Guard with 2" range can hit over tweo ranks of infantry bases.

Agreed.  With a Dragon who is good in combat, and the fact that you'll probably be running 2 x 30 squads of elite infantry for the battalion, Darkshards are the only viable option for output.  Say you wanted to hit them with an alpha strike on a 1 drop list setup, you can get your Blackguard/Executioners in their face Turn 1, and have the Darkshards support with fire while being on objectives.  If you go second, they'll crash into your crossbows, and then eat a Battalion charge/pile-in/attack, and possible double-turn.  With Cogs and Decanter, Executioners can move 17" with a +2" to their charge (and reroll).

One option I was looking at was running Geminids, and going first.  Give your Sorceress Impossibly Swift and Gryph Feather-Charm or Doppelganger Cloak.  Throw the Geminids in their face turn 1, throw your Elite infantry in their face turn 1, and have your dragon fly in turn 1.  Debuff a their unit(s), kill stuff, and then let them go.  The benefit to the Sorceress on Dragon is that with a 14" base move, Chronomantic Cogs, Decanter of Egos, and Gryph-Feather, you'll have a 20" fly, and a charge that can fly over their frontline.  You'll ****** them up, or catch them off-guard possibly, and if they take a double-turn, you'll get to fly the Geminids into their threat unit - or the other option is to dispel them after moving them so that they can't be used against you.  One thing I've done is used the Battalion ability to charge the SoBD up a bit, then cast a spell further into their lines from the distance gained. 

Edited by Black_Fortress_Immortal

So of the Darkling Coven's universal battleline which is the best? Darkshards? Dreadspears? Bleakswords? 

For context I'm specifically looking for a small chaff unit to take in a mixed Order force. I'm not expecting much from a unit of 10 but which one is gonna survive longest and maybe do a bit of damage? Or are units of 10 just a big mistake?

9 hours ago, Orsino said:

So of the Darkling Coven's universal battleline which is the best? Darkshards? Dreadspears? Bleakswords? 

For context I'm specifically looking for a small chaff unit to take in a mixed Order force. I'm not expecting much from a unit of 10 but which one is gonna survive longest and maybe do a bit of damage? Or are units of 10 just a big mistake?

Dreadspears, if you are looking for s.o to stand still, takes a beating and gets Bonusses for not moving.

• Thanks 1

Hi all,

first of all i have to say, that i'm really pleased to see that there are still others who play Darkling Covens :)

Years ago i played Dark Elves 7. Edition Warhammer Fantasy and some times i really miss the old days ^^".

I miss so many things when i compare DC with the newer factions. Me and my friends just started to play AoS in the end of 2017 so i dont have thaaat much experiences in the Game, but the ones i made we're some kind of rough ^^ My friends play Stormcasts, Sylvaneth and Nighthaunt and they have no merci xP. I decided to stay Druuchii, do my best and hope to win a game some day x) (further i bought the whole army "new"because the 7. Edition guys were not that pretty). So gar i would like to show you my list and to share some thoughts of possible allies.

Mortal Realms Ulgu 

Sorcerer on Black Dragon (Coven Master) - impossibly swift, mist blade (don't know if its the correct name in english, im german ^^". It's from the Ulgu relics and gives another -1 to Hit)

Sorcerer (jeah my coven has male members  ;) ) - doppelganger cloak

10 Spears

10 Swords

10 Shards

20 Black Guards

20 Executioners 

Geminids

Thrall Warhost

1500/1500

Up to 2000 points i plan fill the Black Guards Up to 30. But with allies i'm not really sure right now. I like the dreadlord, but this guy is little to expensive for what he brings. I'm thinking of take a Hydra for some medicore flank-pressure. It's fast, it's tanky and i think it could fill this gap that DC sadly has better then Drakenspawn-Knights. Further  the doomfire warlocks with 6MW-Spell look nice on the paper - some one tried them out? Ah and i don't want anything other then Druuchii in my list - so no golden Space Marines for me ^^

Chromatic cogs will be there in my 2000-list too, just had not the points by 1500 >.<

(Down there ist the male Sorc ;) customized)

IMG_20181015_155711294_HDR.jpg

• Like 2

Edit* In addation a Bloodwrack Shrine could really shine with DC with its mortal wounds spam.

14 hours ago, Greed said:

I would consider allying in a dreadlord on black dragon instead of the hydra. Hes worth every point.