AoS 2 - Darkling Covens Discussion

Chris Tomlin

*edit

I have to add why Darkshards are such a benefit for lists with Executioners and Black Guard. You can keep the Darkshards in front of your combat infantry as a Screen (Close by). Does a combat Action happen to the Screening unit the BG/Exec. behind will be drawn into combat, while usually not being hit.

-> Counter attacking style of the Darkling Covens.

The Black Guard with 2" range can hit over tweo ranks of infantry bases.

• Like 3

So, I´m thinking to perhaps start a small army (around 1000p), mostly as a hobby project. But I´m thinking that perhaps it could be fun an later expand it to 2000p. I want to play with it even if its lower points. 

But do you think this is army that will contuie to be and army and not disapear and what advice about the army could you give me?

Edited by Ulfast

2 hours ago, Ulfast said:

So, I´m thinking to perhaps start a small army (around 1000p), mostly as a hobby project. But I´m thinking that perhaps it could be fun an later expand it to 2000p. I want to play with it even if its lower points. 

But do you think this is army that will contuie to be and army and not disapear and what advice about the army could you give me?

Well if you're GHB I'd say you're safe. You may not get a book for a while but at least you aren't Swift Hawk Agents!

10 hours ago, Ulfast said:

So what is a good basic to get for the army ?

I’m would say start with the minimum units for the battalion and work from there. A sorceress, 3x10 of the darkshards/ swords/spears, 10 executioners and 10 guard is 880 including the battalion cost and a good framework to build on.

On 9/17/2018 at 8:15 AM, Ulfast said:

So what is a good basic to get for the army ?

I’d agree with @Azamar above: good news is that having only one battalion warscroll available means you don’t need to choose. I started myself out by checking on eBay, where you can get decent deals on line troops like dark shards. Then you can go on to buy leaders etc as you require. 

On 9/10/2018 at 8:05 AM, Kaleun said:

*edit

I have to add why Darkshards are such a benefit for lists with Executioners and Black Guard. You can keep the Darkshards in front of your combat infantry as a Screen (Close by). Does a combat Action happen to the Screening unit the BG/Exec. behind will be drawn into combat, while usually not being hit.

-> Counter attacking style of the Darkling Covens.

The Black Guard with 2" range can hit over tweo ranks of infantry bases.

Agreed.  With a Dragon who is good in combat, and the fact that you'll probably be running 2 x 30 squads of elite infantry for the battalion, Darkshards are the only viable option for output.  Say you wanted to hit them with an alpha strike on a 1 drop list setup, you can get your Blackguard/Executioners in their face Turn 1, and have the Darkshards support with fire while being on objectives.  If you go second, they'll crash into your crossbows, and then eat a Battalion charge/pile-in/attack, and possible double-turn.  With Cogs and Decanter, Executioners can move 17" with a +2" to their charge (and reroll).

One option I was looking at was running Geminids, and going first.  Give your Sorceress Impossibly Swift and Gryph Feather-Charm or Doppelganger Cloak.  Throw the Geminids in their face turn 1, throw your Elite infantry in their face turn 1, and have your dragon fly in turn 1.  Debuff a their unit(s), kill stuff, and then let them go.  The benefit to the Sorceress on Dragon is that with a 14" base move, Chronomantic Cogs, Decanter of Egos, and Gryph-Feather, you'll have a 20" fly, and a charge that can fly over their frontline.  You'll ****** them up, or catch them off-guard possibly, and if they take a double-turn, you'll get to fly the Geminids into their threat unit - or the other option is to dispel them after moving them so that they can't be used against you.  One thing I've done is used the Battalion ability to charge the SoBD up a bit, then cast a spell further into their lines from the distance gained. 

Edited by Black_Fortress_Immortal

• 3 weeks later...

So of the Darkling Coven's universal battleline which is the best? Darkshards? Dreadspears? Bleakswords? 

For context I'm specifically looking for a small chaff unit to take in a mixed Order force. I'm not expecting much from a unit of 10 but which one is gonna survive longest and maybe do a bit of damage? Or are units of 10 just a big mistake?

9 hours ago, Orsino said:

So of the Darkling Coven's universal battleline which is the best? Darkshards? Dreadspears? Bleakswords? 

For context I'm specifically looking for a small chaff unit to take in a mixed Order force. I'm not expecting much from a unit of 10 but which one is gonna survive longest and maybe do a bit of damage? Or are units of 10 just a big mistake?

Dreadspears, if you are looking for s.o to stand still, takes a beating and gets Bonusses for not moving.

• Thanks 1

Hi all,

first of all i have to say, that i'm really pleased to see that there are still others who play Darkling Covens :)

Years ago i played Dark Elves 7. Edition Warhammer Fantasy and some times i really miss the old days ^^".

I miss so many things when i compare DC with the newer factions. Me and my friends just started to play AoS in the end of 2017 so i dont have thaaat much experiences in the Game, but the ones i made we're some kind of rough ^^ My friends play Stormcasts, Sylvaneth and Nighthaunt and they have no merci xP. I decided to stay Druuchii, do my best and hope to win a game some day x) (further i bought the whole army "new"because the 7. Edition guys were not that pretty). So gar i would like to show you my list and to share some thoughts of possible allies.

Mortal Realms Ulgu 

Sorcerer on Black Dragon (Coven Master) - impossibly swift, mist blade (don't know if its the correct name in english, im german ^^". It's from the Ulgu relics and gives another -1 to Hit)

Sorcerer (jeah my coven has male members  ;) ) - doppelganger cloak

10 Spears

10 Swords

10 Shards

20 Black Guards

20 Executioners 

Geminids

Thrall Warhost

1500/1500

Up to 2000 points i plan fill the Black Guards Up to 30. But with allies i'm not really sure right now. I like the dreadlord, but this guy is little to expensive for what he brings. I'm thinking of take a Hydra for some medicore flank-pressure. It's fast, it's tanky and i think it could fill this gap that DC sadly has better then Drakenspawn-Knights. Further  the doomfire warlocks with 6MW-Spell look nice on the paper - some one tried them out? Ah and i don't want anything other then Druuchii in my list - so no golden Space Marines for me ^^

Chromatic cogs will be there in my 2000-list too, just had not the points by 1500 >.<

(Down there ist the male Sorc ;) customized)

IMG_20181015_155711294_HDR.jpg

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Hi, I'm about to start another army. I always liked the aesthetics of dark elves also they are my favourite race since tw:wh2 and finally they are not present in my FLGS yet. I play mostly 1000, 1500 points against Death (lots of LoN) and SCE, Idoneth. Will I be able to have a decent stand against them with darkling covens + some other dark (a)elves? I don't bother wining all the time, I just want it to be enjoyable. I don't like the new models from DoK.

I'm able to get 40 plastic dark elf warriors (20 darkshards/20 dreadspears) all from 6ed for $25. Never ever bought older models, is that price reasonable assuming they are pained bad af so I'll have to strip all of them? Will they look too dated if I put them with newer models?  I can't find a picture with comparison anywhere

thx :)

3 hours ago, loboto said:

Hi, I'm about to start another army. I always liked the aesthetics of dark elves also they are my favourite race since tw:wh2 and finally they are not present in my FLGS yet. I play mostly 1000, 1500 points against Death (lots of LoN) and SCE, Idoneth. Will I be able to have a decent stand against them with darkling covens + some other dark (a)elves? I don't bother wining all the time, I just want it to be enjoyable. I don't like the new models from DoK.

I'm able to get 40 plastic dark elf warriors (20 darkshards/20 dreadspears) all from 6ed for $25. Never ever bought older models, is that price reasonable assuming they are pained bad af so I'll have to strip all of them? Will they look too dated if I put them with newer models?  I can't find a picture with comparison anywhere

thx :)

Here's my old Spears, using two Dreadlord models to help modernise

IMG_20181025_000229_880.jpg.f1d7a5aacbb100a843b3ed8f6d3412c3.jpg

I think they're OK! 

The newer ones are better though. For me, these are literally sacrifice fodder, allied in to my Order Serpentis army. 

• Like 1

thanks. I was looking for a picture with 6ed and 8ed warriors next to each other but your paint job is great nonetheless. I've looked through your paint log for more good stuff and found it😊

Maybe this should go in order serpentis topic but how is your list performing? I mean will I be eventually able to get working (better or worse) dark elf list that is not DoK?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, loboto said:

thanks. I was looking for a picture with 6ed and 8ed warriors next to each other but your paint job is great nonetheless. I've looked through your paint log for more good stuff and found it😊

Maybe this should go in order serpentis topic but how is your list performing? I mean will I be eventually able to get working (better or worse) dark elf list that is not DoK?

I've only played a couple of games actually, both only 1000pts and just last man standing style... And lost! 

However, they were learning games and I was playing a Stormcast list that shot my Dragon off the table because of bad positioning etc. The Dragon was great in the 2nd game, as was the Hydra. I think you need to be very careful about what and when you engage with Order Serpentis because the knights are far less durable than you'd expect heavy cavalry to be. 

I think the consensus is the dragon and hydra are good, the rest less so. I think you might get more mileage, competitively, out of Darkling Covens and ally in a dragon or a couple of hydra personally. I'm not a gamer (yet) so that opinion is not based on my own experiences. 

• Like 1

Ive has a few games now with the following list, and seem to be having a fair bit of success (albeit in a non competitive environment)

Sorceress on black dragon (general)

-Impossibly swift

-Incorporeal retainer 

Sorceress 

-anklet of epiphany 

Sorceress 

10 bleakswords

10 bleakswords

20 darkshards

20 executioners 

20 black guard

5 drakespawn knights

1 hydra. 

Thrall warhost

Quicksilver blades

I’ve had 3 games with this army - 1 against legions of nagash based around a death march with supporting morghasts, and 2 against a khorne gore pilgrims army, accompanied by a bloodthirster, skarbrand and 30 bloodletters- all of them went pretty well. 

I’ve been using each unit of bleakswords as a screen for one of the elite units, using terrain where I can to stop enemies going round the sides. Assuming there’s no double turn, and against a tough target or several units close together, this gives the elites potentially three lots of melee attacks (pile in to the charging unit once the screen is dead, then in my turn the battalion ability attacks followed by a normal charge and combat) before anything can hit them back, which has proved devastating when it goes right. 

The best performing unit in the army seems to be the black guard. In the first game they(with admittedly some help from the darkshards) tore through a unit of black knights and 4 morghasts using the above tactic, and they saw the bloodletters off pretty handily in game 2 as well. 

A special nod to the executioners as well, who underperformed against the undead, but killed skarbrand in both games against khorne- the first time inflicting 16 mortal wound on him in one go. My opponent wasn’t thrilled by that, but given there was a unit of bloodletters kicking around doing mortal wounds on a 3+, I wasn’t brimming with sympathy! 😛

As a final note- so far the sorceresses have survived every game, and a couple of times have been close to the only models still alive- the ultimate goal for a darkling coven host I think! 

Edit: sorry, I have no idea why that’s come out in massive text! 

Edited by Azamar
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

after almost 8 years without miniature wargaming, I returned to the table this year. A few months ago I found my old Dark Eleves again and want to try to make them powerful again (or just try it). After two games I can say, I have learned a lot on the battlefield and in this thread as well. :)

Normally, my colleagues play up to 1250 points,  but most of the time 1000. So I´m wondering, how to build a decent list for those matches. I´m think of the following:

1x Sorceress (Impossibly Swift & Anklet of Epiphany) (G)

10x Darkshards

30x Dreadspears

20x Executioners

1x War Hydra (Allies)

Total: 1000 Points

The Darkshards will be used to "carry" the Executioners into close combat while the Sorceress can be hidden in terrain or next to the Dreadspears. The Hydra is used to be kind of tanky and be a little bit faster then the rest of the army (even if it´s just a delta of 2")

What  do you think? Maybe another Sorceress, but what should i drop for it?

Many Thanks to you all!

3 hours ago, P455e said:

Hi all,

after almost 8 years without miniature wargaming, I returned to the table this year. A few months ago I found my old Dark Eleves again and want to try to make them powerful again (or just try it). After two games I can say, I have learned a lot on the battlefield and in this thread as well. :)

Normally, my colleagues play up to 1250 points,  but most of the time 1000. So I´m wondering, how to build a decent list for those matches. I´m think of the following:

1x Sorceress (Impossibly Swift & Anklet of Epiphany) (G)

10x Darkshards

30x Dreadspears

20x Executioners

1x War Hydra (Allies)

Total: 1000 Points

The Darkshards will be used to "carry" the Executioners into close combat while the Sorceress can be hidden in terrain or next to the Dreadspears. The Hydra is used to be kind of tanky and be a little bit faster then the rest of the army (even if it´s just a delta of 2")

What  do you think? Maybe another Sorceress, but what should i drop for it?

Many Thanks to you all!

It looks pretty good so far. You could replace the 10 Darkshards with Bleakswords, or split 20 Executioners in 2x10

Edited by JackStreicher

Hey everyone! 

Me and my brother have been playing games against each other for the past couple of months and I constantly lose against him. I was thinking you guys may be able to give me some advice to hopefully at least come close to destroying him for once ;)

I'm playing Darkling Covens (naturally) against his Seraphon, we mainly try to table each other in our games so there's not really a lot of objective grabbing going on. The problem is that he's got Lord Kroak and an Engine of the Gods with him, which are constantly zapping around and being a huge pain in the ass. Their constant teleporting seems to make it impossible to catch them with my mostly infantry Darkling Covens units. 

The problem just seems to be that he's got an incredible amount of movement shenanigans, while Darkling Covens (at least to my knowledge) doesn't have any real capacity to do this.

If any of you have any advice for dealing with this, please let me know :)

8 hours ago, DocteurQui said:

Hey everyone! 

Me and my brother have been playing games against each other for the past couple of months and I constantly lose against him. I was thinking you guys may be able to give me some advice to hopefully at least come close to destroying him for once ;)

I'm playing Darkling Covens (naturally) against his Seraphon, we mainly try to table each other in our games so there's not really a lot of objective grabbing going on. The problem is that he's got Lord Kroak and an Engine of the Gods with him, which are constantly zapping around and being a huge pain in the ass. Their constant teleporting seems to make it impossible to catch them with my mostly infantry Darkling Covens units. 

The problem just seems to be that he's got an incredible amount of movement shenanigans, while Darkling Covens (at least to my knowledge) doesn't have any real capacity to do this.

It is easy to see where the problem lies. Without mission objectives you simply wont have much chances. As you said the movement ob a teleporting Kroak is far superior to yours. So you have to make him come to you while sitting an big blob of infantry on an objective.

The real strenghts of the Darkling Covens lie in objective grabbing and deniing. Play the rules as written. In some roled scenarios you will loose, but others favor your army! The second tactic for the Covens is counter attacking. This means let the enemy charge your screen of cheap units and counter attack with Black Guard and buffed up Executioners.

Dont let your enemy put your army in a worse spot then it would deserve. I like your army list btw and i see that you bring enough bodies to hold those objectives.

On 12/25/2018 at 10:19 AM, DocteurQui said:

Hey everyone! 

I’m with @Kaleun, you are hurting yourself than you are hurting him by not playing the scenarios. Playing the Objectives are what makes the game more tactical and with that more balanced. 

Secondly you might want to add some speed or some ranged options to your lists. Because having something to threaten his support/ranged units really helps. 

So top of my head, second dragon? Maybe even the dreqdlord? Big unit of doom fire warlocks? Or what I use, assassin hidden in dark riders. Sadly you can’t give allies artefacts to help with that but all of these should be able tot add some pressure to his kroak and engine of the gods  

If you are willing to lose the dark long covens  reaper bolt throwers Fromm the compendium section, or stormcast ballista should also help out. 

I would like to add, that it is not necessary to kill Kroak. Your goal should be to out-sustain his damage and win the game with your superior numbers and objective grabbing. Just let him fly around as Kroak pleases.

Dont get yourself bothered by his pesky magic. Kroak is a big point investment for your enemy. Focus on the other parts of his army and crush them instead. Kroak alone wont win a game.