AoS 2 - Darkling Covens Discussion

Chris Tomlin

Hi Aaron,

I´d say, it depends on what you expect of your allied units. Grabbing objectives,  give support, do damage or just harass the enemy?

Dreadspears are very good in holding ground (and especially Objectives) with their +1 to hits if they did not move this turn and another +1 to hit when 20+ models (in total lots of attacks because of 2" range with 2+/4+). With their 5+ Save and re-roll 1´s and 2`s in close combat, they are hard to break.

Darkshards can give you a bit support in your shooting phase. 60 shots  on 5+ to hit (4+ when 20+ models) sounds good, but don´t expect too much damage from them.  Remember, 16" isn´t too much from your repeater crossbows, as many Units can try to attempt charging them.  But if you just need a caddy for your heros and a little support in the shooting phase, Darkshards can be an good option.

I don´t have Bleakswords in my army but in my opinion, they seem to be a kind of a more offensive alternative to the Dreadspears as they generate an extra attack on a hitroll of 6 (5+ when 20+ models).  They are good to carry your squishy units into close combat and protect them a bit. Otherway the can do a bit damage and fixate a enemy unit for 1-2 turns.

Anyway, I recommend to build the 30 models in just one unit to ensure you can profit from ther 20+ models ability.

19 hours ago, Aaron Schmidt said:

Say, I have 30 Dread-spear/Bleak-sword/Shard models. Any suggestion on a configuration would be best for a unit of allies for DoK? 

I want to quote this Thread to answer your question:

https://www.tga.community/forums/topic/11326-lets-chat-darkling-covens/?page=2

If you want to field a maxed unit of 40 in one blob then use the Dreadspears. For any other purpose the Bleakswords do a better job. Take Darkshards if you want them as a backup behind a close combat unit. The Calculation in the link above shows you the damage characteristics of the units.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys,

in several forums and articles, I‘ve heared about using the Special formation of Bleakswords, Dreadspears and Darkshards in Units that support each other.

Say, there are like 10 Swords in Frontline, 10 Spears behind to fight in ranks and darkshards behind again.

The Idee is, that Swords hve the better dmg potential, Spears support with 2“ range and darkshards that fire from behind. Every Unit gets their 20+ bonus as they profit from the our faction rules.

I think of try this next time, but never seen  before...

Has anybody expierences with this tactic? Does it work, and how do you use it?

Can the Darkshards shoot from this position (Line of Sight)?

Many Thanks!

Edited by P455e

1 hour ago, P455e said:

Hey guys,

in several forums and articles, I‘ve heared about using the Special formation of Bleakswords, Dreadspears and Darkshards in Units that support each other.

Say, there are like 10 Swords in Frontline, 10 Spears behind to fight in ranks and darkshards behind again.

The Idee is, that Swords hve the better dmg potential, Spears support with 2“ range and darkshards that fire from behind. Every Unit gets their 20+ bonus as they profit from the our faction rules.

I think of try this next time, but never seen  before...

Has anybody expierences with this tactic? Does it work, and how do you use it?

Can the Darkshards shoot from this position (Line of Sight)?

Many Thanks!

Works though Darklings die in droves so that 20+ Bonus gets lost rather quickly.

apart from that you could try to run „companies“ in which case you have the three core units 3 times (900 points) for objective Grabung etc. 

In the end though you‘ll get swamped anyway, Darklings are way too expensive for their use (60-80 points per 10 DS, BS or Dread Spears would be adequate)

(your auto/correct makes me think you‘re German?) ^^

Thx for your answer.  I mostly play smaller games (<= 1500 pts.), the plan was to take 1-2 „companies“ of 40 guys (10,20,10). But I dont know if Darkshards are a good Choice, ok could be replaced.

I agree. Covens Battleline units are too expensive, absolutely.

(And you‘re right, seems like my german keyboard auto correct assistent revealed the truth. :))

• 1 month later...

So, I impulse bought 20 old blackguard models and figured I would build an army using them. At first I was going to stick with darkling covens allegiance but kept finding myself drifting to a more aelf alliance. This is the list I came up with:

Heroes:

Anointed on Frostheart Phoenix

Anointed on Frostheart Phoenix

Isharaan Soulscryer

Archmage(mounted)

Battleline:

Namarti Thralls x30

Darkshards x10

Darkshards x10

Other:

Blackguard x30

Executioners x10

Executioners x10

So, the phoenixes and thralls give me some reach and the archmage can sneak around while casting his bubble to improve pheonix saves and being a decent dispel. And forming the center is my darkling coven cohort. Let me know what you think.

• 2 months later...

thoughts on something like this:
Allegiance: Order

Leaders
Sorceress on Black Dragon (280)
- General
- Witch Rod
- Trait: Impossibly Swift 
- Artefact: Decanter of Egos
Sorceress (100)
Assassin (80)
- Allies

Battleline
10 x Darkshards (100)
10 x Darkshards (100)
10 x Darkshards (100)

Units
30 x Black Guard (360)
30 x Executioners (420)

Behemoths
War Hydra (180)
- Allies

Battalions
Thrall Warhost (180)

Endless Spells
Geminids of Uhl-Gysh (40)
Chronomantic Cogs (60)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 260 / 400
Wounds: 126

have the 3x10 darkshards to fulfill the requirement, and have them screen the elites.
use war hydra as another tank?

• 2 months later...
3 hours ago, MeSmashDaNoobs said:

Cities of Sigmar Battletome = Darkling Covens rule updates.

Discuss!

Conversely, it could be the end of Darklings as everything is souped together into mixed elf-dwarf-human alliances with some over-riding lore-based theme.

We don't know yet, really. Could go either way.

19 minutes ago, Kyriakin said:

Conversely, it could be the end of Darklings as everything is souped together into mixed elf-dwarf-human alliances with some over-riding lore-based theme.

We don't know yet, really. Could go either way.

SO, the GHB19 has just come out and I think will be the way to play "pure" DC still.

The CoS book however contains 7 allegiance abilities that all evidence points to those being for the Free Cities from Firestorm but updated. DC may well be included in those (Hammerhal & Anvilgard as before).

NOW the real kicker will be if the warscrolls get updated. Sadly, due to the allegiance abilities in the GHB I don't think we'll see anything drastic, but maybe some tweaks?

5 minutes ago, Charlo said:

SO, the GHB19 has just come out and I think will be the way to play "pure" DC still.

Good point. I''d forgotten that. However, they could still become like Soulblight when LoN came out. Technically, still exists, but not really.

Edited by Kyriakin

Just now, Kyriakin said:

Good point. I''d forgotten that. However, they could still become like Soulblight when LoN came out. Technically, still exists, but not really.

As a Soulblight player I resent that ;)

Soulblight just got a new Battleline in the GHB and have been reinvigorated, can run some unique stuff with them!

2 minutes ago, Charlo said:

Soulblight just got a new Battleline in the GHB and have been reinvigorated, can run some unique stuff with them!

I hope so. Pure Vampires and bat stuff is a lot more interesting to me than a motley crew of undead stuff with a Vampire leader (i.e. Legion of Blood, or whatever).

On the bright side, I imagine something like Anvilgard will fit "Dark Aelf" forces pretty well. Now you can have a proper force of darklings, serpentis, and privateers. Maybe DoK allies (I keep forgetting if DoK live in the cities proper so whether they'll be available as non-ally units like SCE or sylvaneth)

And honestly the more I think about it, the more this is probably for the best. Yes of course the "best scenario" is separate battletomes, but then ironically you have the issue of even more books than WFB which I think GW wanted to avoid, and a release schedule longer than the development of half life 3.

Also this still doesn't cover those dang Shadow Aleves! WHO ARE THEY!!! 👻 Mistweaver tell me your secrets!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Charlo said:

Then I would me most exited abou that classical Eastern Europe ‘vlad The impaler’ voice they chose for the ‘The Tithe’ trailer 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kenshin620 said:

On the bright side, I imagine something like Anvilgard will fit "Dark Aelf" forces pretty well. Now you can have a proper force of darklings, serpentis, and privateers. Maybe DoK allies (I keep forgetting if DoK live in the cities proper so whether they'll be available as non-ally units like SCE or sylvaneth)

And honestly the more I think about it, the more this is probably for the best. Yes of course the "best scenario" is separate battletomes, but then ironically you have the issue of even more books than WFB which I think GW wanted to avoid, and a release schedule longer than the development of half life 3.

Also this still doesn't cover those dang Shadow Aleves! WHO ARE THEY!!! 👻 Mistweaver tell me your secrets!

But the End Times/Aos models (i.e. finely detailed, hard plastic, etc.) seem close to at maximum potential now, so the previous "go over" cycle seems less needed now, and GW could expand their range outwards rather than having to eventually replace this generation of models.

I mean, can anyone really picture, say, Tzaangor Enlightened becoming dated, and ever needing replacing?

Edited by Kyriakin

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there! 

Just thinking about lists for the Darkling coverns and I wondered if something like this would be good? 

Allegiance: Darkling Covens

Leaders
Sorceress on Black Dragon (260)
- General
- Darkling Sword
- Trait: Effortless Grace 
- Artefact: Shadesliver 
Sorceress (100)
- Artefact: Anklet of Epiphany 
Sorceress (100)
Sorceress (100)

Battleline
20 x Black Guard (240)
30 x Executioners (420)
30 x Bleakswords (270)
10 x Darkshards (100)
10 x Dreadspears (90)

Battalions
Thrall Warhost (180)

Endless Spells / Terrain
Geminids of Uhl-Gysh (60)
Purple Sun of Shyish (50)
Quicksilver Swords (30)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 129

Any thoughts much appreciated

New Handbook, new lists. The Darkling Covens got some point drops and I am super excited to craft lists and lead the Darkling Covens against our enemies in this new season.

Here we go with the first list:

Allegiance: Darkling Covens
Mortal Realm: Ghur
Sorceress on Black Dragon (260)
- General
- Witch Rod
- Trait: Impossibly Swift 
- Artefact: Gryph-feather Charm 
Sorceress (100)
- Artefact: Decanter of Egos 
Sorceress (100)

30 x Black Guard (320)
20 x Executioners (320)
10 x Darkshards (100)
10 x Darkshards (100)
40 x Dreadspears (320)
5 x Khinerai Heartrenders (90)
- Allies
5 x Khinerai Heartrenders (90)
- Allies

Thrall Warhost (180)

Total: 1980 / 2000
Allies: 180 / 400
Wounds: 144

Cheaper Black Guard and Dreadspears? Sold! Lets look at the list. We are using a highly protected SoBD to keep our troops in the fight with "tyrannical ruler" and inspire the hatred in our units. The Gryph-feather charm also gives +1" movement which could be a lifesaver on that last objective.

The Darkling Covens are a very slow and reactive army. To overcome those weakness one of the Sorceresses brought the Decanter of Egos, while the Daughters of Khaine lend us some Khinerai Heartrenders to grab objectives and threaten mission objectives behind enemy lines. In cases where we loose all our chaff units the Harpies could provide blocking actions. 

We are a bit short on magic spells however. Endless Spells like the Geminids or the Chronomatic Cogs could really help the army... By removing 20 Dreadspears we could take both of those Endless Spells. So we would give up Chaff or a capable Objective holder unit für more mortal wounds and saver charges. 

What are your thoughts? Generally speaking I think the Darkling Covens are a bit more competitive right now. 

PS: Just because it is a well painted army and is similar to the list above:

image.png.54f6ed3ad9116295cb6b6170fba56427.png

Edited by Kaleun

ALERT! ALERT!

As some folks have predicted the Darklings have been swept into Aelves,  they are no longer sold as a separate army on the GW model purchase list, just as they did with the Free People army the revenue folks at GW have gotten ahead of the official announcements and warscroll builder. Expect to see the Darklings winked out in the Cities of Sigmar tome (kiss that 6+ goodbye my beautiful executioners!).

On 8/9/2019 at 12:06 PM, Kaleun said:

🙂 Thank you, but it is Josh Richards army. The unit composition fits well though.

Hey, thanks for the shout out! Was a bit of a surprise to see my army posted here!

If anyone’s interested, that scroll at the back of the board contains a super cheesy back story I put together for the army! Would be happy to share.

I do love the Darkling Covens and hope we get some more love soon - was disappointed by the lack of a spell lore in the GHB.

maybe Cities of Sigmar will breathe some life into the range?

The army list posted above looks great. The dragon with impossibly swift and Gryph Feather charm works so well.

• Like 2