AoS 2 - Seraphon Discussion

Chris Tomlin

Hey one thing I'd like to ask is do people build armies around the Skinks and their Battalions and if so, what do they arm them with? The clubs seems rather dumb, if you want em in melee warriors seem like a better pick, but do people prefer the spears or blowpipes? And if people do, is their a minimum count their ran as, or do people sometimes run them in groups of 10. Mostly wondering cause I'm thinking of starting a lizard army and i'd like to see what people think of the little lizards.

1 hour ago, Dalton said:

Hey one thing I'd like to ask is do people build armies around the Skinks and their Battalions and if so, what do they arm them with? The clubs seems rather dumb, if you want em in melee warriors seem like a better pick, but do people prefer the spears or blowpipes? And if people do, is their a minimum count their ran as, or do people sometimes run them in groups of 10. Mostly wondering cause I'm thinking of starting a lizard army and i'd like to see what people think of the little lizards.

Blowpipes usually; it makes them a threat earlier, and they don't need to enter charge range to shoot vs slower units.

I like clubs so they can fight if needed to get that bit of extra damage out, but most people go with shield + blowpipe.

A friend has just started AoS and is building up a Seraphon army. We’re both having a little trouble with the Astrolith Bearer Rules and wondered if anyone could help.

In the June FAQ they removed the sentence from the Celestial Conduit Rules that defined what planting the Astrolith means (ie when you do it and what limitations it has). However the Proud Defiance rule still states it only works when the Astrolith is planted.

How are people managing this apparent gap in the rules?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, stickybluetoffee said:

A friend has just started AoS and is building up a Seraphon army. We’re both having a little trouble with the Astrolith Bearer Rules and wondered if anyone could help.

In the June FAQ they removed the sentence from the Celestial Conduit Rules that defined what planting the Astrolith means (ie when you do it and what limitations it has). However the Proud Defiance rule still states it only works when the Astrolith is planted.

How are people managing this apparent gap in the rules?

As other faq changes state just to change a certain sentence, like the second sentence for thunderquake starhost. I imagine this was an oversight saying to change the rules text fully rather than just the second half/sentence of the rules. As they haven't said that Proud Defiance doesn't exist anymore, I can't see this as anymore than a slip-up. 

Long as Celestial Conduit is used with its new 12" range I doubt anyone will have a problem with using it that way. likely only people to notice it also would be other seraphon players, who also wouldn't want to miss out on the re-roll hits so yeah should be fine. 

5 hours ago, sorokyl said:

Yes I just play with it as "always planted".  it is implied that he picks it up to move and plants it as soon as he finishes moving. 

The old way, and how most totems work, I believe, is planting or unplanting in the hero phase, which would make them unable to move then plant.  I just play it that way.  Unless I'm missing something, I can't see why all of a sudden they'd just make it better as far as always planted and moving.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, sorokyl said:

They deliberately removed that from the warscroll, so makes sense to assume they intentionally removed the rule that you can not move.  

Problem is the online warscroll is also revised with the new rules but still has the wording of "not move".

Remember, the app has many flaws from times to times !

12 hours ago, Seraphage said:

Problem is the online warscroll is also revised with the new rules but still has the wording of "not move".

Remember, the app has many flaws from times to times !

Getting a PDF warscroll off the internet is one of the worst sources of information.  Some units have multiple warscrolls hosted by GW.  The app is much better, in all cases I have seen, especially since it has a date on each warscroll. The ultimate authority here is the Seraphon Battletome errata, which replaces the rules text for celestial conduit for anything not dated or dated more recently than July 2018.  

There is no existing rule for the Seraphon Astrolith bearer that it can not move if using the astrolith's ability. 

Edited by sorokyl

1 hour ago, kenshin620 said:

So if you haven't seen, Seraphon looks like they're getting a battleforce. Too bad it comes with a carnosaur instead of a stegadon though, makes buying that with a Start Collecting set a tad redundant (yea I suppose build one as carno, build one as trog)

People have reported seeing the Bastiladon kit on the Last Chance To Buy shelves in stores, they are stopping production of the current Seraphon battletome, the massive amount of Seraphon errata in AOS2, and now this...

All signs point to an updated lizard wizard battletome in 2019 with a new Start Collecting that has a Bastiladon, and probably some new Endless Spells similar to what we saw with Beasts of Chaos.

• Like 4

Where is the seraphon announcement? I’ll whale out on an excuse to paint more  dinos 

found it, looks great, not sure if I really need it now that I see it but jeez that’s a terrific deal. That + start collecting will get any new players into the army range. — not talking about for tournaments but just from a collectors stand point. 

Edited by Future
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, PJetski said:

People have reported seeing the Bastiladon kit on the Last Chance To Buy shelves in stores, they are stopping production of the current Seraphon battletome, the massive amount of Seraphon errata in AOS2, and now this...

All signs point to an updated lizard wizard battletome in 2019 with a new Start Collecting that has a Bastiladon, and probably some new Endless Spells similar to what we saw with Beasts of Chaos.

I do hope for this. While new stuff is fairly hype, I hope they slow down on new armies and focus on the "core" forces that make up the AoS universe. A new FEC, Ironjawz, Fyreslayers, and Seraphon tome would be a good first step.

On 11/4/2018 at 10:56 AM, PJetski said:

The Seraphon battletome is still for sale on the GW website. No signs of it leaving. 

Most of the Seraphon kits are already webstore only.    It doesn't mean anything to have another kit going webstore only.  Think of it this way:   "For every new box GW releases, 1 box has to go webstore only to make room for it".  GW releases something every week... 

There was a ton of errata for every army that summons. Seraphon, Khorne, Tzeentch, etc.  Many battletomes are horrible outdated, Seraphon isn't the worst one. 

There are literally no signs pointing to updated Seraphon battletome, a new SC box, or endless spells.   Sorry. 

We already have enough endless spells called units ?. I could see a new Battletome before I saw a new start collecting. Don’t see why they would bother swapping the S.C. 

Could see rapid Battletome releases similar to 40k for the core armies that don’t need any kind of model over haul in 2019.

Yea IMO it'd be weird for Seraphon to get an updated Battletome, when they have a pretty decent book. Sure not all the units are Bloodletter tier, but at the very least most things are viable (though sculpts getting real old, but AoS hasn't replaced a single plastic kit so that'll limit releases to finally getting a plastic slaan, kroxigors, and all the other resin kits).

KO and Fyreslayers really should be in front for Order updates (and thats on top of any new order battletomes such as the light aelves and shadow aelves), and not to mention Destruction battletomes.

I think Seraphon need a Battletome for Spell Lores. It doesn't make sense that essentially "the magic army" of Order doesn't have their own Spell Lore (or Endless Spells now). Not only that, but a lot of stuff has been Errata'd or changed to the point that the current Battletome is basically half useless by itself, and you really should just use the app.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Requizen said:

Not only that, but a lot of stuff has been Errata'd or changed to the point that the current Battletome is basically half useless by itself, and you really should just use the app.

this is the same for most battletomes though is the problem. Seraphon is not special in this regard - At all.  

The only battletomes that are decently accurate are the ones released in 2018 that already had AoS2.0 in mind.

I don't want to get a point where every army needs a Codex every edition like 40k, but I think all armies need a 2.0 codex that hopefully still works in 3.0.  The game is too young and too many changes. 

6 minutes ago, sorokyl said:

this is the same for most battletomes though is the problem. Seraphon is not special in this regard - At all.  

The only battletomes that are decently accurate are the ones released in 2018 that already had AoS2.0 in mind.

I don't want to get a point where every army needs a Codex every edition like 40k, but I think all armies need a 2.0 codex that hopefully still works in 3.0.  The game is too young and too many changes. 

True, but imo the Pre-GHB ones need a bit more love than Sylvaneth and later (other than KO just being messed up). Especially to get Spell Lores like Seraphon really need (and others potentially).

I agree with alot of the thoughts her, though a full blown battle tome i don't think is realy needed. honestly the next GHB should just have like 1 or 2 factions picked out and elevated within it's page. Then they could release another malign sorceries of sorts, but for those said factions. 

seraphon already has battalions and lots of units, along with a pretty fair alliegence. All the need are spells and potentially endless spell to round them out. Competively the saurus need to have thier pts mildly re-evaluated and most of the sink/slann stuff is already pretty great. 

From a business stand point giving seraphon a new battle tone makes a lot of sense. We have a ton of models, release a new battletome and they will sell a bunch of dinos. It would take very little work because we have rules (in ghb 2017, 2018). It’s definitely low hanging fruit for gw.

• Like 1