AoS 2 - Seraphon Discussion

Chris Tomlin

Just speaking to a buddy about Seraphon and trying to help him write lists and I'm shellshocked, how are Salamanders not spoke about more and how does every Seraphon list not start with 16 Salamanders for 640 points? For 40 points you get a 3+/3+ -2 D6 weapon which can threaten 20"?  They seem very good and at 3 wounds each they can stick around, 

1 minute ago, AaronWIlson said:

Just speaking to a buddy about Seraphon and trying to help him write lists and I'm shellshocked, how are Salamanders not spoke about more and how does every Seraphon list not start with 16 Salamanders for 640 points? For 40 points you get a 3+/3+ -2 D6 weapon which can threaten 20"?  They seem very good and at 3 wounds each they can stick around, 

£18.50 for one with 3 handlers is probably why haha. Just out of curiosity where are you getting 20"? I know they go from 8 to 12 with the handlers close by? 

11 minutes ago, SolomonHelsing said:

£18.50 for one with 3 handlers is probably why haha. Just out of curiosity where are you getting 20"? I know they go from 8 to 12 with the handlers close by? 

I'm not sure if it's acceptable, but could you have Riderless Cold Ones and paint them yellow/red/orange?

There, cheap salamanders!

And to be fair, the seraphon community on TGA is a little on the small/slow side. This topic only has 7pages!

23 minutes ago, AaronWIlson said:

They can walk 8" as well and still shoot, so that's 20" in total. 

Ha yeah good point. Yeah list looks interesting, would need 160 for the four sets of handlers probably. Thought of doing a heavens watch one drop with a salamander or razordon pack circled by Skinks three times. So they get re rolls on certain units too. 

I don't play Seraphon but just was looking at the warscrolls and thinking about how I would play them if I ever pull the trigger and actually get them haha... and wow the Ancient Warlord command ability of a Carnosaur rider seems good enough to base an army around 

It seems incredibly strong with a huge range, take a handful of heroes and have them solo entire armies together--what am I missing? I looked for an FAQ but see nothing that says it can't stack 

Edited by Lord_Skrolk

1 hour ago, Lord_Skrolk said:

I don't play Seraphon but just was looking at the warscrolls and thinking about how I would play them if I ever pull the trigger and actually get them haha... and wow the Ancient Warlord command ability of a Carnosaur rider seems good enough to base an army around 

It seems incredibly strong with a huge range, take a handful of heroes and have them solo entire armies together--what am I missing? I looked for an FAQ but see nothing that says it can't stack 

Yeah I think an oldblood with the +2 attacks and scar vet giving a unit extras on a six could stack buff a few heros well, Sunblood specially. Taking a oldblood scar vet cold one and Sunblood to finally put a lord of change down for good tonight I hope. 

You would need 16*18.50 money wise = 296 but even more importantly *cause ok, many comp players invest money so that wouldn't be a ban for everyone* you get 3wounded models with 5+.

They go off the table fast. Really fast.  And due to the 20" threat range they can begone before paying their points back. This is why using salamanders in units of 1 makes more sense to me. A threat that the opponent must either spend a whole shooting from a unit / or risk splitting even worse for 40points of my army or ignore it and risk getting BURNED ?

There are also many global spells that deal d3 MW on targets and endless spells also nowdays. Last fight I lost 3 salamanders that were on 3 different units due to a single SCE Comet that hits everything on 10" radius. They were 20" from each other but they got both hit at max range *wasn't used on the comet so that was my fault of course, but still, makes you more uncomfortable on placement

16 hours ago, Lord_Skrolk said:

It's good but our strong heroes are very slow and thus are hard to take the fights you wish, they cannot go past screen and you'd always get attacked to one of them before attacking if you do more than one charge which hurts us as survivability isn't our thing *4+ saves on heroes and 5+/6+ on most of the units

Just was looking for some opinions on what i'm considering taking for a tournament coming up. 

Allegiance: Seraphon
Mortal Realm: Ghyran
Slann Starmaster (260)
- General
- Trait: Great Rememberer 
- Artefact: Incandescent Rectrices 
Skink Starpriest (80)
Skink Priest (80)
- Cloak of Feathers
Saurus Scar-Veteran on Cold One (100)
- Artefact: Jadewound Thorn 
5 x Saurus Knights (90)
- Lances
5 x Saurus Knights (90)
- Lances
5 x Saurus Knights (90)
- Lances
Dread Saurian (420)
Bastiladon (280)
Bastiladon (280)
Firelance Starhost (150)
Chronomantic Cogs (60)
Quicksilver Swords (20)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 84

I know that knights even in a firelance are one of the weaker battalions but i've been meaning to field some for a while, and this feels like a good one to do it for. 

Also it's a very light model count army hence why i've taken the cogs to either get the knights up a bit closer first turn for quick objective takes, or another 3 summoning points to get some skinks to hold objectives behind the army. 

3 hours ago, Xanax Lot said:

Hi Guys!

Was wondering if any of you have figured out a competitive Seraphpn list that doesnt involve spamming EOTG?

My fav at the moment is Slann + Banner + Thunderquake.

Good firepower and heals from Thunderquake. Summons and teleports from Slann.

Just always be prepared for them to target the Slann immediately. A lot of our army's synergy/utility is tied up in that one 7-wound guy.

On 9/27/2018 at 6:55 AM, kenshin620 said:

I'm not sure if it's acceptable, but could you have Riderless Cold Ones and paint them yellow/red/orange?

There, cheap salamanders!

And to be fair, the seraphon community on TGA is a little on the small/slow side. This topic only has 7pages!

In the old days you'd buy a bag of the plastic dinosaurs at a toy store and a set of bases and just slap a wash and some paint on those.  Take basic skinks and model them with only a javelin and there are your handlers.  Might not be tournament legal so check with TOs if inclined that way.

18 minutes ago, KingCheops said:

In the old days you'd buy a bag of the plastic dinosaurs at a toy store and a set of bases and just slap a wash and some paint on those.  Take basic skinks and model them with only a javelin and there are your handlers.  Might not be tournament legal so check with TOs if inclined that way.

Well I think rule of thumb is GW stores->100% GW models and/or Greenstuff, a lot of tournaments usually have some sort of 50%/some other majority number % must be GW model (unless specified, but usually leaning towards majority gw), Indie stores anything goes unless stated.

If you are running a Saurus heavy list  fangs of sotek is worth considering, in which case you have to take an old blood. I like the oldblood better myself, but it's much better if you have at least one other hero range (maybe a sunblood, esp if fangs of token and he's got ghyrstrike... 7 attacks 2+/2+, -1 rend, 5+ hits make d3 wound rolls and 5+ wound rolls do d3 dmg... that's an average of 5.1 dmg on a 4+ save. not bad)

On 9/27/2018 at 2:39 PM, AaronWIlson said:

The sheer cost of the models is a real issue. Also there is that Razordons are arguably better :)

Really I agree with you, Razordons and Salamanders are gems of units and I continue to think they over-stepped the mark when they dropped them from 60 points to 40. However they have been this good for well over a year now and we have seen nobody smashing the top tables with them so there is probably some limitation with them that I have missed.

On 10/5/2018 at 7:54 PM, sorokyl said:

If you are running a Saurus heavy list  fangs of sotek is worth considering, in which case you have to take an old blood. I like the oldblood better myself, but it's much better if you have at least one other hero range (maybe a sunblood, esp if fangs of token and he's got ghyrstrike... 7 attacks 2+/2+, -1 rend, 5+ hits make d3 wound rolls and 5+ wound rolls do d3 dmg... that's an average of 5.1 dmg on a 4+ save. not bad)

That is a very good  thing to play a heavy saurus  list. A buffed 40 man unit  is so tough with right buffa and battallion bonuses, and u have  a good monster that can give u damages, and u also  have  summon for  screen if u need.

• 3 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Requizen said:

How have people been finding summoning armies, or at least builds partially focused on it? I really like the idea of a flexible summoning build, but for Seraphon it seems really reliant on the Slann not getting punked early.

It's most effective at smaller point values (1000-1500) but once you get to 2000+ its more efficient to use your casts on realm/endless spells.

I use summoning as an alternate game plan. The Slann + Engine + Astrolith core fits into just about any list and taking Cogs lets you pivot your strategy and start churning out conjuring points for "free" Stegadons, while the Engine keeps spitting out Terradons and Skinks.

I tend to not summon much. I like to start with what I need on the board, otherwise a smart and quick opponent can capitalize on the investment you made in a summoning engine. I do love eotg as it seems to eat the bulk of local opponents attention early on and can hold its own especially with thunderquake.

I've been messing around with a saurus only list myself -- mostly around firelance, with no real luck.

The Solar Engine has great synergy with the Astrolith Bearer and when you combine it with some other shooting like a Stegadon with great bow then you can start sniping lesser heroes and chunking down other units every turn. When you add in Salamanders you can start taking down a big target every turn.

Ark of Sotek is great constant damage output, but it's a bit riskier since they changed Mystic Shield. If your Bastiladon gets surrounded by a pack of Witch Elves you'll die quick. Bastiladon is still best at tying down big monsters, but if you get -1 or -2 hit you can stand up to blobs as well.

• Like 1

Do people run either of the big battalions? I know Knights aren't great, but for 90 points they don't make a terrible base for Dracothian's Tail. Ditto for Warriors in Fangs of Sotek, and then you have a silly amount of CP to play with. While neither does anything particularly insane for the bonuses, the utility of being a one-drop with the CPs and Artifacts might be worth the price of entry, especially for Dracothian's Tail, which is only 860 at minimum.

23 minutes ago, Requizen said:

Do people run either of the big battalions? I know Knights aren't great, but for 90 points they don't make a terrible base for Dracothian's Tail. Ditto for Warriors in Fangs of Sotek, and then you have a silly amount of CP to play with. While neither does anything particularly insane for the bonuses, the utility of being a one-drop with the CPs and Artifacts might be worth the price of entry, especially for Dracothian's Tail, which is only 860 at minimum.

I know lots of people run Fangs of Sotek, including myself. May not be competitive, but its decent and I just like those models / playstyle. 

Slann
Astrolith Bearer
OB on Carno
Sunblood

40x Warriors w/spears
40x Warriors w/spears
10x Warriors w/spears 

Fangs of Sotek
Sunclaw Starhost

This is 1820 points. A few options here
A) skinkpriest/starpriest and bump up to 20 warriors in 3rd battleline. In this case maybe you are trying to summon a trog/bast/eotg/stega, or something 
B) 10 saurus guard to protect slann from deepstrike or archers (look out sir).  Probably summon an eternity warden in first
C ) 10 saurus knights. 

There are other things to do, just depends on what models you have. 

Engine of the gods would be nice but just doesn't fit with 2 40 blocks. You can do 1 40 block if you want an EoTg. I think the Astrolith bearer is mandatory (for rerolling all failed hit rolls).  You can always summon an EoTG by turn 2, but at that point I don't think it's worth it, you've missed 2 hero phases