AoS 2 - Seraphon Discussion

Chris Tomlin

2 hours ago, Calebexnihilo said:

Pretty cool that all the pyramids peices are reversable! 

No new sculpts is sad.

Start Collecting box focused on skinks.... Does this mean Saurus will still be trash tier?

If they go the Slaves to Darkness route they'll probably buff saurus at the expense of skinks. That's just a possibility, though.

All I know is I have a bunch of skinks and saurus... saurses? Sauri? Anyway, they're hideous so I don't want to use them.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Thalassic Monstrosity said:

Yay for actually existing. 

I like the idea of mixing Azyr with other realm magic producing locally unique seraphon cultures similar to other races. Gives a bit more personality and brings them more fully into AoS without losing the strong world that was connection. I wonder if there is any this merging with realm magic gets included in the rules other than the terrain piece. 

Also reading between the lines it sounds to me like the 1 drop battalions may be converted into subfactions ala Sylvaneth war groves. I'm guessing thunder quake starhost is now the subfaction with Battleline stegadons. 

• Like 1

On 3/1/2020 at 12:28 PM, Calebexnihilo said:

Start Collecting box focused on skinks.... Does this mean Saurus will still be trash tier?

The existing Start Collecting : Seraphon is not going anywhere. That is exactly why the new one is named "Start Collecting: Skinks".  Similar to how the new Nurgle Rotbringers SC box did not replace Nurgle Daemons. 

On 3/1/2020 at 2:01 PM, Kasper said:

Its really annoying to me that you buy a box and it has too many models instead of the correct number for a unit.

Not that they can do anything about the fact that the sprue is an odd number of models, but it's not a big deal to them because SC boxes are not designed for existing, matched play players, or existing collectors of an army.   They are designed for people new to the hobby, or people who just want to start or want a few models for an army. After you get that first taste, they want you to buy full price kits...

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2020/03/03/seraphon-the-rulesgw-homepage-post-2/

Can I be the first to say wow? Because wow!

Starborne are the Seraphon we know: Bravery 10 and Lords of Space and Time.

Coalesced are much more primal. +1 attack to all their Jaw attacks and -1 Damage to all incoming hits (minimum 1)

Then there are subfactions:

Dracothian's Tail lets you teleport units in from reserve.

Fangs of Sotek give Skinks 3" extra movement first turn.

Koatl's Claw give Sauri +1 to hit when they charge.

Thunder Lizards is the all-stegadon party they've hinted at. More info on it soon.

Edited by Thalassic Monstrosity
  • Like 2

And bounded Endless Spell! Now only our wizards can move our spells!

- Hey, Sorcerer! That old frog casted Purple Sun and it's moving toward us. Move it away!

- Sure. GO BACK SUN! GO BACK SUN! GO BACK...ooops.

EDIT: Little correction. Saurus ability looks like that:

14fd4332.jpg

I think that's first time it's not 20 or more models.

Edited by michu
  • Like 1

On 3/1/2020 at 3:01 PM, Kasper said:

How can you tell what command ability he has? They tend to update them with a new tome. From what I can tell, he has a passive ability that gives him an extra attack on unmodified 6.

You weren't asking me, but for the benefit of all, I'm pretty sure I can read the Command Ability.  And, yes, you're right on the passive.

The Command Ability basically says that he can give a unit of Saurus within 12(18?) inches +1 to hit, not stackable on the same unit in the same turn.
Also, that Old Blood has improved weapons, compared to now. 3+ save.  Maybe that's been mentioned.

Edited by Aleister
I see I'm wrong about part of this...

Pulling all the data together, looking specifically at Saurus Warriors...

Basic Club Profile is unchanged except to add Rend. I suspect spears will not have rend but probably will be 4/3 or 3/4 instead of 4/4 and reach. +1 Attack ability kicks in at 15 models instead of 20, making it a little easier to get and keep. Stardrake Shields are almost certainly flat +1 Save instead of ignore rend -1. Bite Attacks probably don't still hit on 5s, giving that the extra bite is supposed to be roughly balanced against lords of space and time.

With that, I predict basic Saurus Warrior profile (Coalesced Version) will be:

MV 5

4+ Save

1 Wound

8 Bravery

Club 1 (2) Attacks 4+ 3+ -1 1 Dam

Spear 1 (2) Attacks 2" 4+ 3+ - 1 Dam

Bite 2 Attacks 4+/4+ - 1 Dam

Special Scaly Skin

All in all, a battleline unit with 3-4 melee attacks per model, 4+ save, reduced multi-damage wounds which is hard to quantify but strong. Mostly hitting on 4s but easy hit bonuses, Those clubs for example are already 3/3 on the charge and the Oldblood can make that 2+/3+ with a command point, and the Saurus builds look like they generate CPs well.

It's...not bad actually. You could likely very well build a strategy around that, and we haven't seen the updated Guard yet, or what other new command abilities we have.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, madmac said:

Pulling all the data together, looking specifically at Saurus Warriors...

Basic Club Profile is unchanged except to add Rend. I suspect spears will not have rend but probably will be 4/3 or 3/4 instead of 4/4 and reach. +1 Attack ability kicks in at 15 models instead of 20, making it a little easier to get and keep. Stardrake Shields are almost certainly flat +1 Save instead of ignore rend -1. Bite Attacks probably don't still hit on 5s, giving that the extra bite is supposed to be roughly balanced against lords of space and time.

With that, I predict basic Saurus Warrior profile (Coalesced Version) will be:

MV 5

4+ Save

1 Wound

8 Bravery

Club 1 (2) Attacks 4+ 3+ -1 1 Dam

Spear 1 (2) Attacks 2" 4+ 3+ - 1 Dam

Bite 2 Attacks 4+/4+ - 1 Dam

Special Scaly Skin

All in all, a battleline unit with 3-4 melee attacks per model, 4+ save, reduced multi-damage wounds which is hard to quantify but strong. Mostly hitting on 4s but easy hit bonuses, Those clubs for example are already 3/3 on the charge and the Oldblood can make that 2+/3+ with a command point, and the Saurus builds look like they generate CPs well.

It's...not bad actually. You could likely very well build a strategy around that, and we haven't seen the updated Guard yet, or what other new command abilities we have.

the oldblood has some sort cold Fury rule that is unmodifed 6 to hit i 2 hitts if Saurus Warrior has that to...
2b6ef2b5.jpg

I love the change to the 15-model threshold for the attack bonus, hope they roll that approach out more broadly. Pinging one model off a 20-strong unit to seriously dent their output just results in deflating situations rather than empowering ones - i.e. the opposite of how it should be.

Edited by Tommy