AoS 2 - Seraphon Discussion

Chris Tomlin

22 hours ago, Wilhelm Stürmer said:

This guide is amazing for the Start Collecting. You could potentially kitbash the Oldblood on foot as that is easily our worst Hero.

I spent probably an hour looking through old Sprues, and no luck on finding the frog.  I can't find the Carnosaur head for  Sunblood Shield as well, but I am considering using a piece of Tyranid carapace for that instead.  I think it would work well.  I may have a second Scar Veteran shield I can use for his shield.  I just find it odd because I never get rid of any sprues that have bits on them.  But, I can't find these Sprues.  I cut all of the bits off the Warriors, Knights, and Skink sprues.  But, I can't seem to find the Carnosaur/Troglodon sprue even though I bought two Start Collecting boxes.  And, the Terradon sprues seem to have completely disappeared on me.  Granted, since I bought any of these models, I have gotten married and moved in with my wife.  Those sprues could have gotten lost in the move.

Either way, I can make some changes to models to create a Sunblood, maybe a Scar Veteran on foot, an Astrolith Bearer, Scar Veteran on Cold one (up to six of them).  But, no Slann.  I'm not giving up on looking for these sprues yet (though I doubt I have them anymore), but it's a pretty big bummer either way. 

That said, I may just end up going with your idea for a 1000 point list instead.  Again, thank you for that.  

SG

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I know I have asked in this thread several times, and I know it might not be proper to ask the question here.

But local Seraphon player has dominated   the store for quite a long time, and it’s never a pleasant game against him. Every one has had a headache playing an object game with him.

I admit he is good at object games, and good players deserve to win. Though I still want to find a way to beat him even once.

So may I ask what weaknesses do you find during playing Seraphon? And what’s the toughest matchup to Seraphon?

Share and I might have some of his experience to deal with the weaknesses mentioned. Thought it would be win-win.

3 minutes ago, frostfire said:

I know I have asked in this thread several times, and I know it might not be proper to ask the question here.

But local Seraphon player has dominated   the store for quite a long time, and it’s never a pleasant game against him. Every one has had a headache playing an object game with him.

I admit he is good at object games, and good players deserve to win. Though I still want to find a way to beat him even once.

So may I ask what weaknesses do you find during playing Seraphon? And what’s the toughest matchup to Seraphon?

Share and I might have some of his experience to deal with the weaknesses mentioned. Thought it would be win-win.

Interesting as Seraphon is not particularly strong right now. What's he playing?

Shadowstrike - Deploy in such a way that he has no good target for a Turn 1 strike with the rippers.

Thunderquake - Kill the EoTG and the list falls apart.

Always kill the slann.

Our biggest weakness is melee. Our best melee unit (ripperdactyls) has no rend and is VERY fragile.

Get on objectives early and Seraphon usually can't take em away from you.

3 hours ago, Calebexnihilo said:

Interesting as Seraphon is not particularly strong right now. What's he playing?

Shadowstrike - Deploy in such a way that he has no good target for a Turn 1 strike with the rippers.

Thunderquake - Kill the EoTG and the list falls apart.

Always kill the slann.

Our biggest weakness is melee. Our best melee unit (ripperdactyls) has no rend and is VERY fragile.

Get on objectives early and Seraphon usually can't take em away from you.

Yeah always go for the slann the the EoTG first but however it could be really tough sometimes since the slann+ vortex+cover gets 2+save and rerolling against shooting, and skinks as good  screen make it harder to take it out by deepstriking tactics. 

In most games, as long as the slann remains on the battlefield (and it does survive), he can keep summoning 10+ skinks every turn, flooding the table while my units dies without summonning back.

It feels like if I could not kill the slann T1, which is hard, I would get overrun by the skinks very soon.

20 hours ago, frostfire said:

Yeah always go for the slann the the EoTG first but however it could be really tough sometimes since the slann+ vortex+cover gets 2+save and rerolling against shooting, and skinks as good  screen make it harder to take it out by deepstriking tactics. 

In most games, as long as the slann remains on the battlefield (and it does survive), he can keep summoning 10+ skinks every turn, flooding the table while my units dies without summonning back.

It feels like if I could not kill the slann T1, which is hard, I would get overrun by the skinks very soon.

Yep,  if I can get the Skink Summoning factory humming, Seraphon has a much better chance at stealing some wins.

Here's hoping the Seraphon get in in depth refresh. Of all the factions they seem to really need it, and have to hope GW has been saving the best for last haha.

Will be interesting to see them more prominent in the lore though, given the inconstant backtracking, and retcons  to their AoS lore. They have the potential to be big players on that scene.

25 minutes ago, Shankelton said:

Here's hoping the Seraphon get in in depth refresh. Of all the factions they seem to really need it, and have to hope GW has been saving the best for last haha.

Will be interesting to see them more prominent in the lore though, given the inconstant backtracking, and retcons  to their AoS lore. They have the potential to be big players on that scene.

Could a big Seraphon + a new SCE Chamber release mark the end of the "Soul Wars" we are currently in?  (Lore n00b here)

15 minutes ago, Calebexnihilo said:

Could a big Seraphon + a new SCE Chamber release mark the end of the "Soul Wars" we are currently in?  (Lore n00b here)

Really new to liking the lizard boys, so not really sure. Still on the fence about jumping into them until I hear about new models. I would like a big release to update the faction, as I'd say they are in a similar state as Gloomspite (Then Moonclan) used to be. Skaven could have used it too, but a lot of the resin skaven do still hold up after all this time. Not so much for the Lizardmen.

They're first book really built them up to be a celestial force, but I can't remember the last time I've heard them referenced at all in the greater narrative. Almost to the point they seem absent from everything. Their celestial nature, and the fact they were originally billed as Order Deamons certainly opens the door for them to be a power house faction in the lore. But having them be a huge ally to the stormcast? Lizard men were always aloof despite being the good guys, so they aren't really ones to be shoulder to shoulder allies with anyone.

That, and historically they are enemies of Chaos, not so much undeath. Would be a weird fit unless Archeaon and the chaos gods swing into narrative focus.

14 hours ago, Shankelton said:

Really new to liking the lizard boys, so not really sure. Still on the fence about jumping into them until I hear about new models. I would like a big release to update the faction, as I'd say they are in a similar state as Gloomspite (Then Moonclan) used to be. Skaven could have used it too, but a lot of the resin skaven do still hold up after all this time. Not so much for the Lizardmen.

They're first book really built them up to be a celestial force, but I can't remember the last time I've heard them referenced at all in the greater narrative. Almost to the point they seem absent from everything. Their celestial nature, and the fact they were originally billed as Order Deamons certainly opens the door for them to be a power house faction in the lore. But having them be a huge ally to the stormcast? Lizard men were always aloof despite being the good guys, so they aren't really ones to be shoulder to shoulder allies with anyone.

That, and historically they are enemies of Chaos, not so much undeath. Would be a weird fit unless Archeaon and the chaos gods swing into narrative focus.

I'm not into lizardmen at all (my brother is), but I really hope they'll receive a big update, with new models (a lot of units are very old-fashioned) and a unique event.

I think the fact they are kinda disappeared and their lore is pretty clouded could be a great opportunity to bring them to the present in style.  A reptile-style celestial force? Well, I see plenty of possibilities!

They were a distinctive race in Warhammer, I would be pretty disappointed if they'll receive only a battletome and updated warscrolls.

5 hours ago, Fulcanelli said:

I'm not into lizardmen at all (my brother is), but I really hope they'll receive a big update, with new models (a lot of units are very old-fashioned) and a unique event.

I think the fact they are kinda disappeared and their lore is pretty clouded could be a great opportunity to bring them to the present in style.  A reptile-style celestial force? Well, I see plenty of possibilities!

They were a distinctive race in Warhammer, I would be pretty disappointed if they'll receive only a battletome and updated warscrolls.

Mhmm. I wouldn't mind them developing more of a stake in the mortal realms as well. Being celestial space travelers is cool and all, but I'd hate to see them only exist during times of battle, or only materializing to fight chaos.

Would be cool to perhaps have them landing their pyramids to recreate their warding/ ley lines. Perhaps trying to continue the great plan, or to enact the old ones plan on new territory. Would be a neat twist for their ancient ruins to be more revitalized in this new setting!

On 12/27/2019 at 6:30 PM, Shankelton said:

Mhmm. I wouldn't mind them developing more of a stake in the mortal realms as well. Being celestial space travelers is cool and all, but I'd hate to see them only exist during times of battle, or only materializing to fight chaos.

Would be cool to perhaps have them landing their pyramids to recreate their warding/ ley lines. Perhaps trying to continue the great plan, or to enact the old ones plan on new territory. Would be a neat twist for their ancient ruins to be more revitalized in this new setting!

Seraphon's buildings and ecosystem settled in the Realms... yeah that would be pretty cool!

7 minutes ago, Fulcanelli said:

Seraphon's buildings and ecosystem settled in the Realms... yeah that would be pretty cool!

Mhmm!

I feel that would be the coolest way to reintroduce them. Having their ruins and pyramids popping up around the realms. Keeps some of the mystery they used to have, and they can work in some powerful magics. Perhaps lean on them travelling between realms without using the gates. Dunno how i'd feel if they did space fleets of space pyramids. Seems a little too techy for me lol

I was very excited to see the Seraphon lore in the Tome of Champions Warcry book. They mentioned the Old Ones and Great Plan for starters.

I don't get the feeling that the Old Ones will make an appearance. I also don't want to see a continuation of the Great Plan but rather an evolution of it.

I like the notion of leylines and astral manipulation powering their magic. From their celestial vantage point, the Slann could be manipulating magical leylines within realms and between realms, perhaps controlling the movement and positioning of the 8 realms themselves in the fight against Chaos.  That could make for a narrative event on the scale of the Necroquake!

Edited by Kamose