AoS 2 - Seraphon Discussion

Chris Tomlin

It's not mandatory, but you lose access to the two very powerful mechanics that keep Seraphon as a mid-level competitive army: a 2nd teleport and summoning. Saurus lists can be fun, but Warriors and Gaurd lack a lot of punch and will melt to most any other combat heavy army. They also rely on heavy buffing to bring them up to a decent damage output. I just don't see the point in NOT bringing a Slann.

Oh really? I didn't realize their abilities relied on a Slann. It's been a while since I've looked them over so there's a lot I know I've missed. I'm trying to find a new army to start to oppose my friend's Ossiarchs and since I got the Seraphon Christmas boxed set when GW offered it I thought I might try them out.

Thank you for the answers!

Welp won the store tournament again:

1750 points

Slann - revive, anti horde spell

Star priest - anti horde spell

Astrolith Bearer

Engine of the Gods

-

3x 10 Skinks - bolts and shields

6 rypperdactyls

Stegadon - flamethrowers

Shadowstrike 

-

Cogs

Balewind

--

First game: Fireslayers, total commitment

3*6 on Engine prayer o.o 

Kept them at bay and defensive slowly whittling them down far from my objectives and luring them away from theirs until i couls steal some points with skinks

Second game: ironjaws,  total conquest

Really tough he was with maw crusher within 5 " of my slann turn 1 and killed my engine before anything...

Teleported away to opposite corner, used birds to kill units there.

Used skinks to outnumber some orc units, keep maw crusher away and keep boars in combat on the other side of a tall wall they couldnt pile in and had to go around through a narrow choke point.

Actually charged with slann to save a 10 skink unit last turn.

Tried to have redundancy of skinks in key areas.

Last turn  teleported astrolith summoned 4*10 skinks and charged as many points as possible.

Third game: slanesh, scorched earth

Magic 3*6 on engine prayer turn one again o.o. Used birds and stegadon to kill 2*20 daemonette battlelines and small hero.

Skinks to crowd control as many keeper of secrets as possible (they are impossible to deal with...) while slowly conquering points.

Edited by Ivo
  • Like 1

Hello, I am player aos but I would like to play seraphon!

I love skinks, slann and terradon / ripperdactyls ..

I tried to find out how to play this army. I understood that what was his strength was the invocation ..

Play 2 slann is interesting?:

Allegiance: Seraphon

Leaders
Slann Starmaster (260)
Slann Starmaster (260)
Skink Starpriest (80)
Skink Starpriest (80)

Battleline
10 x Skinks (70)
- Boltspitters & Star Bucklers
10 x Skinks (70)
10 x Skinks (70)

Units
9 x Terradon Riders (360)
- Starstrike Javelins
- Starstrike Javelins

Battalions
Shadowstrike Starhost (180)

Total: 1970 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 2
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 106

Are rypperdactyls more interesting than terradons? (terradons can inflict MW and are cheapest)

Thanks!

1 hour ago, Iron Fist said:

I tried to find out how to play this army. I understood that what was his strength was the invocation ..

Leaders
Slann Starmaster (260)
Slann Starmaster (260)
Skink Starpriest (80)
Skink Starpriest (80)

Battleline
10 x Skinks (70)
10 x Skinks (70)
10 x Skinks (70)

Units
- Starstrike Javelins
- Starstrike Javelins

Battalions

Are rypperdactyls more interesting than terradons? (terradons can inflict MW and are cheapest)

Thanks!

Seraphon's strengths are mobility, 2x teleports, and summoning.

One Slann General can forgo casting a spell and receive 3 summoning points (in the Seraphon army, they are called Celestial Conjuration Points or CCP). The Slann has 3 spell casts and can get 2 more from the Balewind Vortex and Chronomantic Cogs. He also receives 1 CCP for being the General. Additionally, the Astrolith Bearer provides D3 additional CCP. So the meta is to have the Slann be a summoning battery.

The first teleport is from the Seraphon Army Allegiance. Pick one Seraphon unit to teleport anywhere on the board, more than 9" away from the enemy. The 2nd teleport comes from giving the Slann General the Command Trait, Great Remember.

The army has good mobility. Our primary battleline unit, Skinks, can move 8" and in the combat phase are able to withdraw up to 8" and more than 3" away from the enemy, instead of piling to fight. Additionally, Stagadons have the ability to give a free move to another Skink keyword unit within 8".

So, Seraphon is good at the objective game. We don't have too many hard hitting units, though Razordons and Ripperdactyls will typically prove their worth. I almost always use Rippers due to the Blot Toad + Voracious Bite combo. It's a good high volume of attack profile that will shred most chaff units and can work well against other units as well. If you do run Terradons though, 9 is the minimum unit size I would suggest as you want 9 or 12 MW rolls on the rocks.

Also, if you aren't aware, another great resource for Seraphon players is Lustria.

To expound on my previous post, your list is a good beginning, though 2x Slanns is suboptimal. While there was a recent GT Seraphon player that used 2x Shadowstrike with 21x Terradons, I wouldn't normally recommend it, simply because you are heavily relying on the MW output of those units. For some great Seraphon lists, I highly recommend this thread.

7 hours ago, Wilhelm Stürmer said:

WOW! Rolling 18 twice on EotG is amazingly lucky and I would imagine had a huge impact in your games. Congrats on winning!

Yeah the first time i really needed it cause i couldnt shadow strike with my birds... So that double.move really helped...

The second time.i was stunned with fear of.never getting lucky again, and i did reroll 4 1s into 4 1s so... My luck went bad 😔

4 hours ago, Iron Fist said:

Leaders
Slann Starmaster (260)
Slann Starmaster (260)
Skink Starpriest (80)
Skink Starpriest (80)

Battleline
10 x Skinks (70)
10 x Skinks (70)
10 x Skinks (70)

Units
- Starstrike Javelins
- Starstrike Javelins

Battalions

Thanks!

Ryppers with shadow strike and the toad can be really efficient. We dont have a lot of great spells so 2 slanns is unnecessary unless you want to keep one in the front casting realm spells like aqshys +1 to damage or +1 to wounds and charges. A slann + kroak is fun due to kroaks native spells, but more expensive.

Keep the other slann back accumulating summon points maybe with cogs and a balewind.

Edited by Ivo

Is a Seraphon army worth running without a Slann (casual games only)?  Son’s Birthday coming up soon, Christmas, car maintenance, etc.... doesn’t really leave room for buying new models right now.  And, it seems that, while using two battalions, Seraphon is the only AoS army I have that can get close enough to 2000 points.  

Here’s what I have.  Please keep in mind that all these models were bought during AoS1 not 2 (when summoning became such a huge part of the game) and I had intended on using them in WFB as well as T9A at the time:

+++ AoS Seraphon  (Age of Sigmar) [1,990pts] +++

+ Leader +

Engine of the Gods [240pts]

+ Behemoth +

Troglodon [140pts]

+ Artillery +

Razordons [50pts]: Razordons

+ Battleline +

Saurus Warriors [180pts]: 2x 10 Saurus Warriors, Celestite Spear, Stardrake Icon, Wardrum

+ Other +

Skink Handlers [40pts]: 3 Skink Handlers

+ Battalion +

Battalion: Firelance Starhost [630pts]
. Saurus Knights: 5 Saurus Knights, Celestite Lance, Stardrake Icon, Wardrum
. Saurus Knights: 5 Saurus Knights, Celestite Lance
. Saurus Scar-Veteran on Carnosaur: Celestite Greatblade

Battalion: Shadowstrike Starhost [660pts]
. Skink Starpriest
. Skinks: 2x 10 Skinks, Boltspitters and Moonstone Clubs
. Skinks: 2x 10 Skinks, Meteoric Javelins and Star-bucklers
. Terradon Riders: 3 Terradon Riders, Starstrike Javelin

+ Command Points +

Purchased Command Points [50pts]: 1 Command Point

Thanks in advance!

SG

Edited by ServiceGames

1 hour ago, ServiceGames said:

Is a Seraphon army worth running without a Slann (casual games only)?  Son’s Birthday coming up soon, Christmas, car maintenance, etc.... doesn’t really leave room for buying new models right now.  And, it seems that, while using two battalions, Seraphon is the only AoS army I have that can get close enough to 2000 points.  

Here’s what I have.  Please keep in mind that all these models were bought during AoS1 not 2 (when summoning became such a huge part of the game) and I had intended on using them in WFB as well as T9A at the time:

+++ AoS Seraphon  (Age of Sigmar) [1,990pts] +++

+ Leader +

Engine of the Gods [240pts]

+ Behemoth +

Troglodon [140pts]

+ Artillery +

Razordons [50pts]: Razordons

+ Battleline +

Saurus Warriors [180pts]: 2x 10 Saurus Warriors, Celestite Spear, Stardrake Icon, Wardrum

+ Other +

Skink Handlers [40pts]: 3 Skink Handlers

+ Battalion +

Battalion: Firelance Starhost [630pts]
. Saurus Knights: 5 Saurus Knights, Celestite Lance
. Saurus Scar-Veteran on Carnosaur: Celestite Greatblade

Battalion: Shadowstrike Starhost [660pts]
. Skink Starpriest
. Skinks: 2x 10 Skinks, Boltspitters and Moonstone Clubs
. Skinks: 2x 10 Skinks, Meteoric Javelins and Star-bucklers
. Terradon Riders: 3 Terradon Riders, Starstrike Javelin

+ Command Points +

Purchased Command Points [50pts]: 1 Command Point

Thanks in advance!

SG

So I answered your first question earlier on this page, which you are welcome to read. 

As for he available models you have and fielding an army, it's not going to be a great list, but you could definitely make it fun. Do you have to play 2K and are all the models you listed what you have available? There are some decent 1K lists you could make out of those models and could play Meeting Engagements or even just utilize the battle plans and use Matched Play rules. Here's a fun 1K list that could also still be relatively decent:

Mortal Realm: Ghur

Leaders
Skink Starpriest (80)
- General
- Trait: Master of Star Rituals
- Artefact: Gryph-feather Charm
- Spell: Stellar Tempest
Engine of the Gods (240)
Saurus Scar-Veteran on Cold One (100)

Battleline
15 x Saurus Knights (240)
- Lances
10 x Skinks (70)
10 x Skinks (70)

Units
1 x Razordons (50)
3 x Skink Handlers (40)

Endless Spells / Terrain / CPs
Extra Command Point (50)

Total: 940 / 1000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 200
Wounds: 77

Keep the 20 Saurus Warriors and 3 Terradons as your summoning pool for the EotG. If you have access to any Endless Spells, you have 60 MPP to use for that, or just take a Triumph.

Also, some great resources for use are the Warscroll Builder and AoS Reminders.

One other thing: check FaceBook Groups, eBay, and other online sales for used Seraphon models. If you want to fill out your army more without killing your wallet, that's the way to go.

Edited by Wilhelm Stürmer
After thought

Taking a fun list in a couple of weeks time for a local event. Not expecting much but hoping I can summon quite a bit to be a pest and let Gotrek do his thing.

- Mortal Realm: Ghur

LEADERS
Gotrek Gurnisson (520)
Slann Starmaster (260)
- General
- Command Trait : Great Rememberer
- Artefact : Gryph-feather Charm
- Spell : Stellar Tempest
Engine of the Gods (240)
Engine of the Gods (240)
Skink Starpriest (80)
- Spell : Celestial Apotheosis

UNITS
10 x Skinks (70)
- Meteoric Javelins & Star Bucklers
10 x Skinks (70)
10 x Skinks (70)

BEHEMOTHS
Bastiladon (280)
- Weapon : Solar Engine

ENDLESS SPELLS / TERRAIN / COMMAND POINTS
Chronomantic Cogs (80)
Balewind Vortex (40)
Emerald Lifeswarm (50)

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Wilhelm Stürmer said:

So I answered your first question earlier on this page, which you are welcome to read. 

As for he available models you have and fielding an army, it's not going to be a great list, but you could definitely make it fun. Do you have to play 2K and are all the models you listed what you have available? There are some decent 1K lists you could make out of those models and could play Meeting Engagements or even just utilize the battle plans and use Matched Play rules. Here's a fun 1K list that could also still be relatively decent:

First of all, thank you very, very much for the 1000 point list.  That list will most likely be used.  As to your question about points... no, it doesn't have to be at 2K.  The reason why I want to play at 2K points is that most AoS tournaments are at 2K points.  Now, please don't misunderstand, I'm not a competitive player.  But, I have a feeling that it'd be fun to go to a few tournaments for the sake of seeing what the tournament scene is like when actually playing, meeting new people, maybe making some new friends.  I met one of my very good friends to this day when I started playing Magic: The Gathering back in 2012.  

Here's the quick and dirty of it all.  I buy way too many Warhammer models, and I stress myself out trying to get them painted, changing my mind on what army I want to work on, ignoring other hobbies, etc.  I am floored by the amazing look and color schemes of the new Ossiarch Bonereapers and want them so badly.  But, I have promised my wife that I would get an army fully painted at 2000 points and play a game or two to see if I actually enjoy AoS (my attention span is usually around 90 minutes).  If I don't enjoy 2000, I'll definitely give 1000 points a try.  But, if I honestly don't enjoy playing the game, I'm not going to put any money into a new army (with the possible exception of an Ossiarch Bonereapers model here or there for a painting competition).  

One more thing, I put this same original post on Reddit, and someone mentioned that there is a frog model that comes with the Terradon/Ripperdactyl model kit that people have used as a Slann.  I keep most of the bits that I don't use on the sprue in a box.  I know where that box is, and I plan to look for it tonight.  I've seen some people use the seat for the Carnosaur as the throne for the Frog.  It turns out really well.  Since they are all GW bits/models, I have a feeling that it wouldn't be disallowed in either casual games or tournaments as a Slann Starmaster.

Thanks!

SG

30 minutes ago, ServiceGames said:

First of all, thank you very, very much for the 1000 point list.  That list will most likely be used.  As to your question about points... no, it doesn't have to be at 2K.  The reason why I want to play at 2K points is that most AoS tournaments are at 2K points.  Now, please don't misunderstand, I'm not a competitive player.  But, I have a feeling that it'd be fun to go to a few tournaments for the sake of seeing what the tournament scene is like when actually playing, meeting new people, maybe making some new friends.  I met one of my very good friends to this day when I started playing Magic: The Gathering back in 2012.  

Here's the quick and dirty of it all.  I buy way too many Warhammer models, and I stress myself out trying to get them painted, changing my mind on what army I want to work on, ignoring other hobbies, etc.  I am floored by the amazing look and color schemes of the new Ossiarch Bonereapers and want them so badly.  But, I have promised my wife that I would get an army fully painted at 2000 points and play a game or two to see if I actually enjoy AoS (my attention span is usually around 90 minutes).  If I don't enjoy 2000, I'll definitely give 1000 points a try.  But, if I honestly don't enjoy playing the game, I'm not going to put any money into a new army (with the possible exception of an Ossiarch Bonereapers model here or there for a painting competition).  

One more thing, I put this same original post on Reddit, and someone mentioned that there is a frog model that comes with the Terradon/Ripperdactyl model kit that people have used as a Slann.  I keep most of the bits that I don't use on the sprue in a box.  I know where that box is, and I plan to look for it tonight.  I've seen some people use the seat for the Carnosaur as the throne for the Frog.  It turns out really well.  Since they are all GW bits/models, I have a feeling that it wouldn't be disallowed in either casual games or tournaments as a Slann Starmaster.

Thanks!

SG

The Blot Toad is what the are referring to and yes, I've seen it put on a palaquin as a joke Slann. As long as you have the proper base size, you can proxy a homebrewed model. Most LGS and some tournaments don't care.

My personnel recommendation is to play 1K first as it may better fit into your 90 minute attention span. The downside to your model list is that you won't get a true feeling for Seraphon's current meta, but you will get some feel for it with the EotG summing potential and still having one teleport available to you. Another recommendation is, if you have a bunch of models from several armies that you could see yourself doing without, try to sell them and then buy a few Seraphon models to really get a feel for the army. You wouldn't need many with your current list. I got by with 2K for a long time only having 6 Rippers and 3 Razordons and filling in the rest with heros and Skinks. My minimum recommendations would be:

• Slann
  • Astrolith Bearer (this can be easily kit-bashed from a Start Collecting box)
  • 2x Razordons
  • 3x Rippers/Terradons, proxy either way
  • 40x Skinks, giving you 60 total. Eventually, I'd shoot for a minimum of 100 Skinks, but I'm not even to that point yet.

Just some ideas if you think Seraphon would be your go to army.

1 hour ago, TalesOfSigmar said:

Taking a fun list in a couple of weeks time for a local event. Not expecting much but hoping I can summon quite a bit to be a pest and let Gotrek do his thing.

- Mortal Realm: Ghur

LEADERS
Gotrek Gurnisson (520)
Slann Starmaster (260)
- General
- Command Trait : Great Rememberer
- Artefact : Gryph-feather Charm
- Spell : Stellar Tempest
Engine of the Gods (240)
Engine of the Gods (240)
Skink Starpriest (80)
- Spell : Celestial Apotheosis

UNITS
10 x Skinks (70)
10 x Skinks (70)
10 x Skinks (70)

BEHEMOTHS
Bastiladon (280)
- Weapon : Solar Engine

ENDLESS SPELLS / TERRAIN / COMMAND POINTS
Chronomantic Cogs (80)
Balewind Vortex (40)
Emerald Lifeswarm (50)

This definitely has potential. While I've seen Gotrek do some amazing work, I've also seen savvy players just completely ignore him and leave him stranded in the middle of a table. Having the healing spell and Lifeswarm is a good idea, though I would be concerned that it would just get moved away from Gotrek by your opponent. Still, the list looks solid.

4 minutes ago, Wilhelm Stürmer said:
  • Astrolith Bearer (this can be easily kit-bashed from a Start Collecting box)

So, I built both the Oldblood (on a separate base) and a Scar Veteran for the Carnosaur using two different Start Collecting boxes.  So, I'm not sure if I  can kitbash one of these, but I am very interested in how to do it.

Thanks in advance

SG

5 minutes ago, ServiceGames said:

So, I built both the Oldblood (on a separate base) and a Scar Veteran for the Carnosaur using two different Start Collecting boxes.  So, I'm not sure if I  can kitbash one of these, but I am very interested in how to do it.

Thanks in advance

SG

This guide is amazing for the Start Collecting. You could potentially kitbash the Oldblood on foot as that is easily our worst Hero.