AoS 2 - Seraphon Discussion

Chris Tomlin

@PJetski and others can we talk about the Adepticon list? I always try to bring an engine of the gods with my shadow strike lists because having a blot toad on the map is very strong with their summoning.

i never thought to reverse that scenario and bring rippers for a toad in a thunderquake. What is everyone’s opinion on rippers in a list like that? I generally run the list with 8 razordons and think it’s just stronger than the rippers but I never considered how impactful getting the toad down could be on late game play.

ive long thought of allying in evocators into my lists. I’ve done it in the past with shadow strike and it was ok. I could see it being better in thunderquake to protect the castle. I don’t think it’s our strongest thunderquake list but obviously it was strong enough to win. Maybe it is even closer to the optimal variant than I give it credit for.

what are other people’s thoughts here?

The Adepticon list is not optimized in my opinion. Thunderquake is one of the best lists in the game, and the best Thunderquake list I have seen is something like this:

Slann (Great Rememberer or Vast Intellect)
Astrolith Bearer (Incandescent Retrices)
Starpriest
EOTG (Ignax's Scales)
Stegadon
Bastiladon
4x Razordon
Skink Handlers
4x Salamander 
3x Knights or Skinks battleline

Balewind
Geminids

You put either the Razordons or the Salamanders into the battalion, whichever you prefer. The Razordons have a better save (can have some respectable defense in cover with rerollable saves) and benefit more from rerollable wounds, but I prefer having my Salamanders to be as accurate as possible so I can drop big targets like Treelords, Archaon, Nagash, Dracolines, etc.

The Balewind allows you to have crazy reach with Realm spells or it can allow you to pivot into a summoning game if necessary. Geminids are just the best endless spell, period. They have a huge threat range, do respectable damage, and have crucial debuffs for both range and melee. I have won at least 3 tournament games in the last 2 months because I was able to deny movement and debuff my opponents with geminids. Their effect is so strong that I often find myself wanting to go second just so I can move them again.

• Like 1

@PJetski Awesome list. I run something similar. I have EOTG with -1 to be hit blade from ulgu. I use 8 razordons, I don't own any salamanders, but that actually sounds really awesome.

I run geminids in all my lists as well, totally agree on everything there. I've never tried knights as battleline in thunderquake, I like them Drac tail a lot. I like how the bases seem to zone deepstrike really well and they are fast. I don't run balewind because I try to keep my slann with the castle but you might be onto something there!

I too love the starpriest, another -1 to hit is just great, and the jaws are no slouch either.

I am going to try the balewind in a few games and see how it goes for me. Ever since adepticon I have been trying some evocators in the list. I like them a lot but I think the Salamanders solve the same problem better!

What is your opinion of the ripperdactyls? I have not run them in the list, I don't like rippers not starting in the sky personally. Do you find that you would summon more of them via eotg if you ran them? I thought that was an interesting play, but agree with you it isn't optimal.

Hello! 

I'm just starting a Seraphon army and picked up the last Seraphon battleforce box at my nearby store. This box will keep me busy for a while, but what would you recommend for new units to expand past the box? Also, for the skinks in the box, what weapon combo would you recommend that I build them with?

Thank you for all your help!

On ‎4‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 4:16 PM, Future said:

What is your opinion of the ripperdactyls? I have not run them in the list, I don't like rippers not starting in the sky personally. Do you find that you would summon more of them via eotg if you ran them? I thought that was an interesting play, but agree with you it isn't optimal.

I like them even outside of Shadowstrike. People fear them regardless of where they are. I sometimes field two units on the table to start.... which puts two bloat toads out there... and then teleport a unit of ripper per turn into something. With Great Rememberer you have a decent chance at teleport and move... which is nearly as useful as Shadowstike (not quite... but hey... when your points are tight ya do what ya can).

Think:

Thunderquake: EoTG, 2 Bastiladons, 4 Razors, Skink Handlers
Slann, Balewind, 3 units of skinks
3 units of Rippers

2000 pts
3 Bloat Toads! People will be scared. lol

2 hours ago, LoopyZebra said:

Hello! 

I'm just starting a Seraphon army and picked up the last Seraphon battleforce box at my nearby store. This box will keep me busy for a while, but what would you recommend for new units to expand past the box? Also, for the skinks in the box, what weapon combo would you recommend that I build them with?

Thank you for all your help!

Next Model = A Slann is a MUST have. He is the cornerstone of the army. Can get the entire army Reroll 1s to hit (yes please), can get 2 teleports per turn thru him, and most importantly... 10 skinks per turn thru summoning!

Skink Loadout - I like the Blowgun and shields. But really... no matter what weapon you give them, you don't want them in combat. They are skirmishers/harassers. If you do any dmg with them, its a bonus. Use these slippery little fellas to score points!

• Like 2

On 5/1/2019 at 10:00 PM, Calebexnihilo said:

Next Model = A Slann is a MUST have. He is the cornerstone of the army. Can get the entire army Reroll 1s to hit (yes please), can get 2 teleports per turn thru him, and most importantly... 10 skinks per turn thru summoning!

Skink Loadout - I like the Blowgun and shields. But really... no matter what weapon you give them, you don't want them in combat. They are skirmishers/harassers. If you do any dmg with them, its a bonus. Use these slippery little fellas to score points!

Thanks! That's all very helpful. I was leaning towards the blowgun and shields for the skinks - I'll build them that way.

• Like 2

Seraphon players, as a small TO I have a question since we have new player in our group that picked up Seraphon; how does Celestial Conjuration work in regards to the limit of Endless Spells? I have a bit of problem with the wording where it's INSTEAD of casting the spell. That somehow makes me wonder  if you can convert only 1 Endless Spell per turn (as you would be able to cast only 1), or if by not actually casting it you can convert more than 1?

I saw no FAQs either way and it seems by scanning this thread the general consensus is the latter, ie you can convert any that you like. I just want to ask you players about it in order not to shaft either the player or rest of my tournament roster.

I don't understand why Endless Spell would work differently from normal spells with Celestial Conjuration. Before you attempt to cast a spell you just say you convert it into points instead. Doesn't really matter what spells you choose to convert.

@Rahana Celestial Conjuration Points are based on the number of spell casts available to the Slann. Endless Spells do not factor into the equation at all. A Slann Starmaster is able to cast 3 spells. Lord Kroak can cast 4. So, at their base cast numbers, they can accumulate 9+1 and 12+1 CCP per turn, if they forgo all casting. Balewind Vortex and Chronomantic Cogs can give additional spell casts, which are each worth 3 CCP as well, and the Astrolith Bearer gives you an additional D3 CCP. If you had all of these, your CCP generation would be as follows:

3 CCP for each base spell cast; 9 for the Slann & 12 for Kroak + 3 CCP for spell cast given by Balewind and/or Cogs + 1 CCP for being the General of the army + D3 CCP for an AstroBear. The Maximum CCP per turn would be 12 + 6 + 1 + 3 = 22, baring any additional spell casts afforded by any Realm Features or other items/objects in the game.

Edited by Wilhelm Stürmer
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Wilhelm Stürmer said:

@Rahana Celestial Conjuration Points are based on the number of spell casts available to the Slann. Endless Spells do not factor into the equation at all. A Slann Starmaster is able to cast 3 spells. Lord Kroak can cast 4. So, at their base cast numbers, they can accumulate 9+1 and 12+1 CCP per turn, if they forgo all casting. Balewind Vortex and Chronomantic Cogs can give additional spell casts, which are each worth 3 CCP as well, and the Astrolith Bearer gives you an additional D3 CCP. If you had all of these, your CCP generation would be as follows:

3 CCP for each base spell cast; 9 for the Slann & 12 for Kroak + 3 CCP for spell cast given by Balewind and/or Cogs + 1 CCP for being the General of the army + D3 CCP for an AstroBear. The Maximum CCP per turn would be 12 + 6 + 1 + 3 = 22, baring any additional spell casts afforded by any Realm Features or other items/objects in the game.

Thanks for the explanation and the step further with the example, that clarifies a lot.

Ok - silly question. The skinks are very easy to assemble but I can't figure out how to get the bucklers on there. Are you supposed to take the arms holding weapons and cut the weapon off? Or just glue the buckler over the arm with weapon?

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, first post on TGA.

I just developed a nifty online tool that might help you guys with Seraphon battles in the future. As a Seraphon player, I was always stressed that I was forgetting to do things in the right phase.

So, I developed AoS Reminders. It only has Seraphon for now (mostly because I just got this working, and I am only really familiar with Seraphon). I will probably add Sylvaneth next.

Check it out here -> https://daviseford.com/aos-reminders/

Basically, you add your units, battalions, and artifacts, and you will get an ordered list of what abilities to use during which phase. It's pretty specific - for example, if you add Ripperdactyls, it will remind you to place a Bloat Toad on Turn One - Hero Phase.

Please give it a whirl and let me know if you enjoy it! I would LOVE some feedback and critiques! I am looking to expand this to other armies eventually, but figured my own Seraphon (of which I have over 4k points worth :p) would be a good start. Here's a look at the UI:

6S9KCfJ.png

P.S. it is print-friendly! When you hit print, all of the fancy UI elements are stripped out and you get a list like so:

9tMW3Xh.png

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3
  • LOVE IT! 2