AoS 2 - Seraphon Discussion

Chris Tomlin

2 hours ago, Dragobeth said:

And... tha's why I started playing without Kroaknado, we all could see that FaQ coming.

Are Guard and Knights worth it in MSU?

With the nerf to lens, I don't think guard are any good, mortal wounds will still cut through their units. 

Knights are good if taken in the firelance to build towards Dracothians tail to give you a 1 drop list.

48 minutes ago, kenshin620 said:

Yea problem with Guard is that they're still 1 wound. You'd think at that point level they'd be 2 wounds.

Anyways so far though Engines are still not nerfed? Interesting to see how long that lasts.

Well, they were nerfed a bit. The units summoned by them cannot move anymore.

20 minutes ago, kenshin620 said:

Ahh right thats what they changed. Still theres nothing stopping the x4 Engine Meme list from popping out units like a RTS game!

There is also an indirect nerf to the 4xEotG as well: To make them work more reliably you could use Kroak's rerolls, and those don't exist anymore.

21 hours ago, Stevie754 said:

With the nerf to lens, I don't think guard are any good, mortal wounds will still cut through their units. 

Knights are good if taken in the firelance to build towards Dracothians tail to give you a 1 drop list.

16 hours ago, kenshin620 said:

Yea problem with Guard is that they're still 1 wound. You'd think at that point level they'd be 2 wounds.

Anyways so far though Engines are still not nerfed? Interesting to see how long that lasts.

I was building a Dracothian list with the Eternal Starhost to protect my Slann and act as a good anvil.

What should I put instead? I really like the Guard  with that juicy bufs from Warden+Batallion

Maybe put the Guard in 10man units instead? Krox? More dinosaurs?

(My local meta isn't that competitive btw, I don't need super optimal builds)

Edited by Dragobeth

I'm a massive fan of the Stegadon (non god engine version! ) but I'm having a hard time getting use out of it. I've done both the big bow and lately I'm trying the flamethrower but the Stegadon kind of melts before it gets to do much. 10 wounds with a normal 4+ feel super squishy, especially when even the tiny Skinks get the ignore rend -1 shields xD

What are your guys advice on how to run it?/support it?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mikeymajq said:

I'm a massive fan of the Stegadon (non god engine version! ) but I'm having a hard time getting use out of it. I've done both the big bow and lately I'm trying the flamethrower but the Stegadon kind of melts before it gets to do much. 10 wounds with a normal 4+ feel super squishy, especially when even the tiny Skinks get the ignore rend -1 shields xD

What are your guys advice on how to run it?/support it?

Its just never gonna be a top performer. Probably best alongside other monsters

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/25/2018 at 7:18 AM, Dragobeth said:

I was building a Dracothian list with the Eternal Starhost to protect my Slann and act as a good anvil.

What should I put instead? I really like the Guard  with that juicy bufs from Warden+Batallion

Maybe put the Guard in 10man units instead? Krox? More dinosaurs?

(My local meta isn't that competitive btw, I don't need super optimal builds)

They suffer horribly from mortal wounds, but they can be tough and a unit of 20 near a warden and astrolith is a very serious threat

Hey guys, 

Looking for a but of advice as my 9yr old son and I are been playing some of the mini starter games Storm of Sigmar and he's really enjoying it, so I let him loose on the GW website and of course... He loves the dinosaurs! I told him how the giant frogs were some of the most powerful sorcerers in the game and now I can't see him being anything else

I did give him a bit more actual lore too but hey, if giant frogs and dinosaurs get him in he's got plenty of time to discover the rest

So I'm here to ask for the advice I mentioned, tend to play smaller games at the moment around 1000pts, want to make him a decent list that's not win at all costs but at the same time one he can have fun with, what do you guys think the best list to go with for him?

15 hours ago, Mikeymajq said:

Any alternative models for Kroxigors? 

Maybe its me but I don't mind Warmachine/Hordes Gatormen. Only problem is that they come in packs of 5 (unless you get the boardgame, then you get 6, but they may be less detailed as those are boardgame plastic.) I actually haven't done them, I just used google.

Spoiler

image.png.7ca513a760f2a125bdc00d9cf234215a.png

4 hours ago, TeddyMadeMeDoIt said:

So I'm here to ask for the advice I mentioned, tend to play smaller games at the moment around 1000pts, want to make him a decent list that's not win at all costs but at the same time one he can have fun with, what do you guys think the best list to go with for him?

I think the good thing about Seraphon is that usually everything is pretty decent. The Start Collecting Set, a Slaan, and maybe one more box of something or two  gives plenty to experiment with.

Edited by kenshin620
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/29/2018 at 9:56 AM, TeddyMadeMeDoIt said:

Hey guys, 

Looking for a but of advice as my 9yr old son and I are been playing some of the mini starter games Storm of Sigmar and he's really enjoying it, so I let him loose on the GW website and of course... He loves the dinosaurs! I told him how the giant frogs were some of the most powerful sorcerers in the game and now I can't see him being anything else

I did give him a bit more actual lore too but hey, if giant frogs and dinosaurs get him in he's got plenty of time to discover the rest

I started with the getting started box and it is great. If you want to turn the contents of that into an army, I think a Skink Priest, a box of Saurus Guard and an Eternity Warden will give a 9 year old endless fun. 15 Saurus Guard with a priest and a warden backing them up are a reliable meat grinder that can stand still and kill everything. If he starts beating you too much, bring some mortal wound-dealers. The faction just got some really spicy race-specific artifacts and abilities in the Generals Handbook 2018 that I am sure a 9 year old would love as it gives him the tools to essentially can make his own character in game.

For an actual list:

Oldblood on Carnosaur

Saurus Eternity Warden

Skink Priest

5 Saurus Knights

10 Saurus Warriors

15 Saurus Guard

940 Points

That leaves with you for 60pts to swap out the warriors/knights for units he likes the look of, or even some endless spells. You can use this website to generate army lists. It's official, so don't feel guilty:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/warscroll-builder/

If he likes the look of a Slann; I'd recommend giving Kroak a miss. He is, very strong, and forces the opponent to play very competitively and cut-throat. Maybe when you get to 2000pts he's worth a look in; but at the <1001pt level the Slann Starmaster or the Skink Starseer will make for more interesting gameplay. There is also the downside that named characters cannot be given those abilities/artifacts I mentioned earlier. It's worth mentioning that if he prefers the skinks to the saurus you could always give the getting started a box  a miss and build a skink army.

Edited by Rekmeister
  • Thanks 1

Thanks guys

@kenshin620 that start collecting Bix is exactly what I'm eyeing up :)

@Rekmeister thanks that's an amazing starting list,  looks like it's fitly straight forward to play but with some nice synergies for him to learn before he gets heavy into magic. Build up to 2000pts then for Slann etc

now if this was my Serephon army  I would definitely go down the skink route, I think the Saurus minis could be so much better, but asquith most thing when I get my hands in them I'm sure I'll come around

Thanks again guys, that's exactly the kind of advice I was looking for

Edited by TeddyMadeMeDoIt

@TeddyMadeMeDoIt

I'm glad I was useful! Yeah skinks are great. I often run a unit of chameleon skinks. I was skeptical of the saurus but they have some great synergies. The Oldblood on Carnosaur can save up command points and then use it's command ability multiple times on a key turn. Sunbloods are also fun for the same reason.

What army will you be playing most of the time?

On 8/1/2018 at 7:57 PM, Erdemo86 said:

How do a typical 1k seraphon list with slann look like?

Really depends what sort of army you want to build. Seraphon has three different battle line options and each of them pushes the army in a different direction. The units that have the most direct synergy with a slann are probably saurus guard and the eternity warden, but that leaves you with little offense, and the liberal access to mortal wounds in 2.0 doesn't make them the monsters they once were. I'd probably go for something along the lines of:

Slann - Vast Intellect/Incandescant Rectrices

Astrolith Bearer

20 Skinks

20 Skinks

Bastiladon

That leaves you with 60 points to spend on endless spells. I'd argue in favour of them at this points level, especially given you have a hero that can cast three spells a turn and a banner that buffs its spell casting ability. If you take two spells you could drop both in one turn, which combos nicely with the new teleportation rules from GHB 2018 as you can zip the slann into place then let loose. You can afford Quicksilver Swords and the Gnashing Jaws for that many points. I suggested skinks instead of warriors/Guard because they are more numerous and benefit greatly from being stood under an astrolith bearer. The Bastiladon holds objectives like nothing else in the game, and is also a prime target for teleportation; it fares pretty well in 1000pt games as it can sometimes tank an entire army without them having access to something that can kill it.

Seraphon is a big faction with lots of viable strategies though so it's worth looking through all your options.

Edited by Rekmeister

Hey all

Brand new to Seraphon - Looking at a 1k, 1.5k and 2k points respectively, how many of each unit would I need purely as summons?

Aka for 1k would 10 skinks, 10 warriors and 5 knights be enough for potential summons? 

Just planning purchases beyond the list itself

Depends on your list...

Each EotG could get you 20 skinks/10 saurus/10 dino birds a turn, which may not die and hence you need more for next turn.

Otherwise, its down to how many slann/lord kroaks you take, and how many other spells you expect to cast.

If you take 1 slann and 1 astrolith and dont cast any spells  youre looking 11-13 summoning points per turn, so look at the summoning list and look at what youd like to summon... e.g. a priest on turn 1 and a starpriest on turn 2, or save for a bastilidon on turn 2. Etc. Etc.

1 minute ago, Amradiel said:

I noticed on the swedish GW site that the Seraphon battletome is only sold in digital format. Does somebody know how long that has been a thing?

I think they rarely print physical copies of foreign languages?

I seem to even recall years ago (4th or 5th edition 40k) they actually had the rules for 40k for free pdf download in Japanese

23 minutes ago, kenshin620 said:

I think they rarely print physical copies of foreign languages?

I seem to even recall years ago (4th or 5th edition 40k) they actually had the rules for 40k for free pdf download in Japanese

I was thinking about the fact that they usually print in hardback and then softback :) not remove and just sell digital. There are no books in swedish, we use the english versions. 

On 7/29/2018 at 9:56 AM, TeddyMadeMeDoIt said:

Hey guys, 

Start collecting box is pretty good and if he likes dinosaurs it gives him the choice of Carnorsaur or Trogladon (hint: start with the carno)

Another box of Knights lets him run 3 units of them or one big unit and leaves a spare to have fun converting up into a Scar Vet. 

I would steer him towards something like

Oldblood on Carnosaur

Scar Vet on Cold One

Starpriest

Knights x 15

Warriors x 10

Ripperdactyls x 3

At 950 that leaves an extra CP or room for an endless spell that the Starpriest can cast. The extra CP on either the Oldblood or Scar Vet is not to be sniffed at - stacking additional attacks could be a heap of fun when he pulls it off.

But obviously be guided by models he likes and wants to paint and build - but don't let him see Razodons or Salamanders unless you are literally made of money ;)

Hello,i'm a new member  of the tga community and a player of seraphon army and i hope to find an answer to a doubt regarding the command ability of the saurus scar-veteran on cold-one "savage charge".the question is:the command ability has effect on the nearby units/models in the hero phase when it's used (and then regarding the attack that earns the cold one it is cumulative if the ability is used multiple times),or it has effect in the phase that are affected by the ability (charge phase and combat phase)?

My opinion is that the bonus to reroll charges and 1 to hit to the nearby units takes effect in  the phase that are affected by it(charge and combat phase),cause it doesn't specifies time duration,and the bonus to make an additional attack to the cold ones' vicious bites of the nearby saurus knights models has effect in the hero phase cause it specifies time duration(until your next hero phase),and so it's cumulative if it's utilised multiple times.

I hope this is the right forum to ask that,and that you all can help me resolve this doubt.

thanks